Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

question regarding the holding on the punt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: question regarding the holding on the punt Reply with quote

So some idiot(and i call him that because i believe he is wrong) at my work tried to tell me that if they would have called the hold in the endzone on the Ravens safety by the punter that it would have stopped the clock, i.e. stopping the play. I was and always have been under the impression that even with a holdiing call on that play all that happens is a safety and the time of that play still runs off the clock. Am i wrong here? I am pretty sure that the penalty is irrelecvant due to the fact that with the hold in the endzone the refs dont blow the play dead and they dont put the time back on the clock.

If someone has a link i would appreciate it because this guy is a blowhard and he claims to have checked the rules.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding the holding on the punt Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
So some idiot(and i call him that because i believe he is wrong) at my work tried to tell me that if they would have called the hold in the endzone on the Ravens safety by the punter that it would have stopped the clock, i.e. stopping the play. I was and always have been under the impression that even with a holdiing call on that play all that happens is a safety and the time of that play still runs off the clock. Am i wrong here? I am pretty sure that the penalty is irrelecvant due to the fact that with the hold in the endzone the refs dont blow the play dead and they dont put the time back on the clock.

If someone has a link i would appreciate it because this guy is a blowhard and he claims to have checked the rules.

A holding penalty doesn't make the play dead. So no, the penalty itself doesn't stop the clock, and no time would have been added to it.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding the holding on the punt Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

A holding penalty doesn't make the play dead. So no, the penalty itself doesn't stop the clock, and no time would have been added to it.

Ok thats what i thought. It is what made what the ravens did so genius. Thats kind of a crappy deal, but had it been us holding i would have loved it

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, clock doesn't stop but Ravens were coached to do that as Jim Harbaugh alluded too after the game. They throw a flag and all it is a safety, so no difference.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another thread that if the refs feel that a team committed an intentional penalty in a case like this they have the option of returning time back on the clock. But that sure wasn't going to happen.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:
I read on another thread that if the refs feel that a team committed an intentional penalty in a case like this they have the option of returning time back on the clock. But that sure wasn't going to happen.

Considering they didn't even call the holding penalty, it's safe to say they weren't going to add time either.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The NFL got exactly what it wanted from referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the Super Bowl.

Roger Goodell wanted an officiating crew that would get out of the way and let the players be the stars.

For the past 15 years and spurred by the popularity of HD TV, NFL refs have been horning in on the players’ spotlight. The refs like being stars. They like being recognized. Ed Hochuli’s guns have become as well-known as Deion’s high-step.

Goodell wants to end this. He doesn’t want officiating stars. That’s why the NFL worked its system to assign a mediocre, nondescript ref to the Super Bowl. According to Boger’s jealous peers, his season-long grades did not justify his Super Bowl selection. Speculation quickly asserted the NFL manipulated its grading system so that an African-American ref could lead the Super Bowl.

If that were the case, Mike Carey would’ve been the easy choice. He’s worked the Super Bowl before and he’s highly regarded.

Nope. Goodell was after something different. Goodell wanted a ref who would stay out of the way, a crew that wouldn’t take over the game. And that’s what the league got.

Boger and his crew swallowed their flags from start to finish. They entered the stadium determined not to be the story when the game was over. Guess what? They’re the story. Jim Harbaugh was irate there was no defensive holding or pass interference called on San Fran’s last offensive play.

Boger and Co. spent the entire evening trying to avoid throwing their flags. Baltimore cornerback Cary Williams shoved an official and should’ve been tossed from the game in the first half. There was no flag.

Two of the most physical and emotional teams in football collided on Sunday and there were just seven penalties all day. The refs called the obvious stuff — two for offside, one facemask, an illegal formation. There wasn’t one holding call all game and there was just one pass interference call.

The players were free to do whatever they wanted, and Baltimore certainly did at the end of the game.

We all hate it when the refs take over a game. But it’s just as bad when they let the players police themselves. The Super Bowl deserved better officiating. I blame Goodell.

msn.com
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: question regarding the holding on the punt Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:

I wondered what would happen too. My guess is that the penalty would have been applied on the ensuing free kick and either they would kick form the 5 if it was the full 15 yards, or from the 10 if somehow it turned into a "half the distance" penalty.

If the refs called it (and they so obviusly just decided to ignore it since there were several of the worst holds of all time going on) and they got off a bad punt from the 5 we might have had a chance for the ancient fair catch - free kick rule to apply. Wouldn't it have been incredible to see Akers trying an uncontested 60-yarder to tie the game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: