Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Mock Offseason: Trade Down/Interior OL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Bears Mock Offseason: Trade Down/Interior OL Reply with quote

Re-signings

DT Henry Melton 5 years 37.5 million/20 guaranteed
OG Lance Louis 4 years 14 million/4 guaranteed
LB Nick Roach 3 years 7 million/4 guaranteed
CB Kelvin Hayden
DE Israel Idonije
RB Armando Allen
DT Nate Collins

Cuts

Kellen Davis [2.4 million]
Hester [1.8 million]
Matt Speath [2 million]

Restructure/Extend

Brandon Marshall [4 years]
Charles Tillman [3 years]

Free Agents

OG Louis Vasquez [San Diego] 5 years 25 million/12 guaranteed

The Bears weakest positions is OG and that does not fit with Trestman wanting to protect the QB and with Kromer building his lines from the inside out. Vasquez has the size at 6'5" 335lbs that Kromer has preferred. Vasquez is also more economical than Levitre or the OT talent that will be available.

LB Daryl Smith [Jacksonville] 3 years 12 million/5 guaranteed

Aaron Kromer got an OG to build around and Mel Tucker gets his MLB that can come in and help him run his defense. Smith is coming off an injury, but when healthy he is a dominant force.

OT Dennis Roland [Cincinnati] 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed

Roland has started in spurts for the Bengals and combines great size [6'9" 322lbs] with solid pass protection. He can come in and compete at OT with Scott, Webb and a draft pick.

QB Drew Stanton [Indianapolis] 2 years 4 million

A mobile back up QB that has won games in the NFL and he can dougie.

Draft

*Trade* The Chicago Bears trade 1[20] to the Atlanta Falcons for 1[30] and 3[92].

1[30] TE Zach Ertz [Stanford] 6'6" 252lbs.

Ertz provides a weapon in the middle of the field that can stretch the field vertically and attack the field and make tough catches. Trestman wants as many weapons in the passing game as he can get and he wants to force 1 on 1s all over the field.

2[50] Travis Frederick [Wisconsin] 6'4" 335lbs.

The Bears have secured the OG position with Louis Vasquez, but they still need to secure the C position and Frederick provides a ton of size and power to the middle of the Bears OL. Frederick fits the mold of what Kromer looks for with his blend of size and power and he can step in right away and handle the game from a physical side. The middle of the line should be secure for the future.

3[92] LB Gerald Hodges [Penn St] 6'2" 237lbs.

Despite the signing of Smith the Bears still need young players to develop at the position. Hodges has the size, speed and physical ability to play all over the defense and he can start at SLB, develop at MLB or even play at WLB if Briggs gets injured. Hodges provides depth and a long term starter at LB.

4. CB Jamar Taylor [Boise St] 6' 200lbs.

The Bears also need to add some youth to the CB position and start to develop a long term answer at CB for Tillman's eventual departure. Taylor is a physical player that can bring similar tackling ability to Tillman and gets a couple of years to develop into a starter while providing depth.

5. OT Reid Fragel [Ohio St] 6'8" 310lbs.

A developmental OT that has the feet and athletic ability to play LT. Fragel is a converted TE that has played OL for a couple of years and he will continue to develop and compete at LT. Webb needs someone to push him, and Fragel has the ability to be a starting OT in the NFL.

6. WR Lanear Sampson [Baylor] 5'10" 205lbs.

Deep speed to replace Hester and stretch the field, with the depth that the Bears have all they need is someone to run 4.3 down the field and stretch our defenses.

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Stanton
RB: Forte, Bush, Allen
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Weems, Sampson, Anderson
TE: Escobar, Rodriguez, Adams
LT: Webb, Fragel
LG: Louis, Brown
C: Frederick, Garza
RG: Vasquez, Carimi
RT: Roland/Scott

RE: Peppers, McCellin
DT: Melton, Collins
NT: Paea, Toenia
LE: Wootton, Idonije
SLB: Roach, Costanzo, Trahan
MLB: Smith, Hodges
WLB: Briggs, Thomas
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Taylor, Frey, McManis
FS: Conte, Hardin
SS: Wright, Steltz, Walters
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this, i would be vary happy if the off season went down like this.

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite of your mocks so far. Don't see 10 OL making the 53 though. Nobody outside of Madden carries that many linemen. I think picking up Roland (a developmental tackle) makes drafting one unnecessary. I don't see both happening.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
This is my favorite of your mocks so far. Don't see 10 OL making the 53 though. Nobody outside of Madden carries that many linemen. I think picking up Roland (a developmental tackle) makes drafting one unnecessary. I don't see both happening.

I don't expect 10 to make it but I would like to see 2 veterans battle it out at RT.

If Fragel and Roland show they can handle playing I think Scott would be cut or James Brown would go to the PR.

It really depends on what happens with Carimi do they see him as an OG or OT.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever reason I still do not love the idea of trading down in the 1st round if we are going to miss on a top talent.

I would almost prefer to move down in the 2nd and get more depth picks.

Frederick is a solid player, but is he worth passing on the much better version of him in Jonathan Cooper?
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Eifer then Ertz but I would really like this. It's very similar to mine.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mock drafts/offseasons keep getting better and better. Vasquez is a solid guard and very young which is great. Bringing in all those Olinmen will provide a lot of competition for camp which is great, I don't think we could carry all of them. Ertz would be a solid addition on Offense. I would be stoked if Big Larry Warford was there at pick 50.

Keep up the good work.

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- Yards- TDs- Yac-
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of this offseason outside of the first pick in our draft…I just don’t think a TE is going to catch enough balls with Marshall, Alshon, Bennett & Forte around to warrant being our first round pick…I would rather grab an Olinemen or a defensive playmaker with our first pick.
bears2308

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
I like most of this offseason outside of the first pick in our draft…I just don’t think a TE is going to catch enough balls with Marshall, Alshon, Bennett & Forte around to warrant being our first round pick…I would rather grab an Olinemen or a defensive playmaker with our first pick.

Great mock. Send it to Emery. Wink
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

Agreed. I like every pick in the mock besides that of the TE. Instead of signing Roland in FA sign a TE and go BPA round 1. Perhaps a left tackle such as Lane Johnson would be nice in this case then go LB round 2 and not sign either one of Roach or Daryl Smith.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

I agree with the idea.

But the TE does not need to catch 60 passes to have an impact, he needs to be a constant threat to catch the ball.

Trestman believes in spreading the ball around and you cannot have a Kellen Davis who is not a threat.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I agree with the idea.

But the TE does not need to catch 60 passes to have an impact, he needs to be a constant threat to catch the ball.

Trestman believes in spreading the ball around and you cannot have a Kellen Davis who is not a threat.

Of course not...but I still don't feel the threat of him catching the ball and even the balls he does catch amount to the impact a quality Olinemen or playermaker on the defensive side of the ball would make.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock, but I highly doubt we get rid of both Davis and Speath this off season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: