Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

*Pigsooie's* Pre-Super Bowl Mock Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bears2308

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
How much cap space would we save by cutting Earl?

I don't think we cut Roach with Urlacher leaving. I can see Tucker bringing in Smith at MLB but Roach is fine at SLB. I don't see any reason for Emery or Trestman wanting Campbell to stick around. The guy was a flat out bum last year. I also see no reason as to why Emery would pay Moore 2 million when he watched him play poorly his first year here. I like the idea of tagging Melton. We can't let that guy leave Chicago.

Signing Levitre and Smith would make OT a priority in the first. I hate the idea of taking a TE in the first round and haven't seen much of Paulsen. I'd rather we leave Barden out of it, use the extra $ to sign someone more established like Jared Cook, and draft a deep threat. With Marshall and Jeffery I see no need for another red-zone target at receiver. Someone that fits the slot role would be my top priority at the wr position if we send Earl packing.
None. It actually would cost $280,000.00 more to cut him than keep him.

Well that defeats any reasoning to cut the guy.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
How much cap space would we save by cutting Earl?

I don't think we cut Roach with Urlacher leaving. I can see Tucker bringing in Smith at MLB but Roach is fine at SLB. I don't see any reason for Emery or Trestman wanting Campbell to stick around. The guy was a flat out bum last year. I also see no reason as to why Emery would pay Moore 2 million when he watched him play poorly his first year here. I like the idea of tagging Melton. We can't let that guy leave Chicago.

Signing Levitre and Smith would make OT a priority in the first. I hate the idea of taking a TE in the first round and haven't seen much of Paulsen. I'd rather we leave Barden out of it, use the extra $ to sign someone more established like Jared Cook, and draft a deep threat. With Marshall and Jeffery I see no need for another red-zone target at receiver. Someone that fits the slot role would be my top priority at the wr position if we send Earl packing.
None. It actually would cost $280,000.00 more to cut him than keep him.

Well that defeats any reasoning to cut the guy.
There's no reason to cut Earl at all, other than people think that he doesn't produce to his role, which I've already proved false.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earl Bennett fits this system to a tee because he can consistently work routes from different spots and he can work to the sideline spreading the field horizontally.

Trestman is not going to cut a weapon like Bennett.

He reminds me of a guy in Montreal named Brian Bratton who was not that special but you had to cover him and that was key.
Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I just wanted to say great job on the mock off-season, I can't even imagine how much time this took and being in Afghanistan, missing the playoffs, this was a fun read.

Secondly, I am not as well-read as most of you on the college players, (just the big names, after the first two rounds I am usually lost).

That being said, I thought Garza was pretty solid this year, we have so many holes on that OL, is there a strong possibility he wont play next year? Also, I think Bennett is an excellent slot receiver and has tremendous chemistry with Jay, I am really hoping we can land Eifert or Ertz in the secound round. I would like to see Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett with an actual TE next year.

Lastly, I know Campbell has worked with Tress before, but I cant see us bringing him back at that price. I am really hoping we can develop a guy in the later rounds if Tress it the QB guru we think he is. Look at all these young QB's taking over right now, Wilson was had with a third round pick. I believe Tress can get a guy day 3 and make him a serviceable backup, Campbell flat out sucked last year.
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock draft. I'll just point out some of the things I didn't really like about your off-season.

First is your handling of the TE position. While I agree that Davis needs to go I don't think that Logan Paulsen is an adequate enough replacement. I think Spaeth is a good enough blocker to keep in the fold and is relatively cheap. I think they should look to add a more dynamic threat in FA since there are some good options out there.

Also didn't like the Earl Bennett release. He's a good player and an integral part of this team. Jay trusts him out there which is an often overlooked factor. You're banking on a rookie wideout to come in (Goodwin) and fill the void there in the slot. I think you're creating too many unneeded holes there.

Lastly, I highly doubt we let that many LBs walk in FA. My hunch is that Urlacher isn't brought back, but I feel more confident that they'll at least bring Roach back into the fold because he is a solid and dependable player who can fill in the void at MLB and make the defensive calls until they find a successor there. Daryl Smith is an intriguing option, but how much money will he command compared to Roach and is he that much better of a player? Just some things to think about.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I heard on NFL Network that when there is a new HC that in many cases 30-40% of the roster turns over.

Now because our GM is the same I don't think it happens but it could.
That generally would happen because the teams the new coach is taking over totally suck. Whereas, the Bears had a winning season and a bunch of Pro Bowlers so it would not be as likely.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
First off, I just wanted to say great job on the mock off-season, I can't even imagine how much time this took and being in Afghanistan, missing the playoffs, this was a fun read.

Secondly, I am not as well-read as most of you on the college players, (just the big names, after the first two rounds I am usually lost).

That being said, I thought Garza was pretty solid this year, we have so many holes on that OL, is there a strong possibility he wont play next year? Also, I think Bennett is an excellent slot receiver and has tremendous chemistry with Jay, I am really hoping we can land Eifert or Ertz in the secound round. I would like to see Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett with an actual TE next year.

Lastly, I know Campbell has worked with Tress before, but I cant see us bringing him back at that price. I am really hoping we can develop a guy in the later rounds if Tress it the QB guru we think he is. Look at all these young QB's taking over right now, Wilson was had with a third round pick. I believe Tress can get a guy day 3 and make him a serviceable backup, Campbell flat out sucked last year.
Stay safe, son. \

There is a chance Garza will not be back. I think they are drafting a center who might take over. Bennett shows flashes but did not live up to his salary last year. We keep expecting something more out of him to no avail.
I would be happy if we could draft Tyler Wilson to develop at QB but he might go no lower than the second round. We could not afford him there barring some great trade down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: