Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens SB Champs - lessons learned ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Ravens SB Champs - lessons learned ? Reply with quote

With our division rival Ravens winning it all in New Orleans yesterday, was there one overriding factor that signified their road to their championship ?

I personallly thought they were 'destined' to win it after that 4th & 29 run in San Diego, but the one single factor I took from their win was the re-shuffled MCKINNIE-OSIMELE-BIRK-YANDA-OHER O-line-up and their dominating play; an o-line that is comparable to ours.

Flacco, Jones, Smith and Boldin got the headlines, but that o-line was huge yesterday in giving Flacco time and protection for the most part against that ferocious SF rush.

Having an o-line that just means you can run it well enough to keep the thing, and good enough to keep your QB clean under pressure is just so important. What do we have to do to get that WHITWORTH-BOLING-COOK-ZEITLER-SMITH line-up improved just a couple of notches ?

1. Kyle Cook v Matt Birk ? Replace Kyle Cook by draftting a Barrett Jones, shifting Clint Boling to OC, or see if Robinson develops ?
2. Make Andre Smiths' re-signing the #1 priority ?
3. Go after a Chance Warmack, with the #21 pick and/or a trade-up ?
4. Go after a top vet FA, or see how Travelle Wharton shakes out ?

What do you guys out there think ? Should our o-line become #1 priority, over LB, S, DE etc ?
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an intimidator at MLB, a competent SS, improving our interior oline, a complementary RB to BJGE, and a sizable possession WR for the outside were our needs before and after watching the superbowl.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can't nail B. Jones in the draft, I say we slide Clint Boling to C, and see what Wharton does at LG.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how effective Jones would be at center for us. Good, yes but he's more of a technician than a mauler, doesn't have great strength and he is average at the POA.

I think Trevor Robinson should get a shot a C next year.
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon Smith disappeared down the stretch for the 49ers. If he'd played the last 6 games like he was playing earlier in the year it might have made a difference last night. The Ravens will probably have some roster turnover with their cap and free agent situation. I'm not afraid of them.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
I'm not sure how effective Jones would be at center for us. Good, yes but he's more of a technician than a mauler, doesn't have great strength and he is average at the POA.

How about Zeitlers Badger team mate Travis Frederick ? He looks like a mauler alright .......
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ark23 wrote:

How about Zeitlers Badger team mate Travis Frederick ? He looks like a mauler alright .......

More physical player, struggles in space, not very quick laterally but he is very good in a phone booth.

Both are second rounders for me, but for what we run Frederick is the better prospect. Jones is more versatile, I'm not sure if Frederick can play guard in the NFL at least at a high level.

Boling has some (limited) experience playing center. I like versatile guys like that. If we took Jones or Frederick I'd be fairly satisfied, but I think Frederick is a better fit if we are looking for a pure center prospect.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
ark23 wrote:

More physical player, struggles in space, not very quick laterally but he is very good in a phone booth.

Both are second rounders for me, but for what we run Frederick is the better prospect. Jones is more versatile, I'm not sure if Frederick can play guard in the NFL at least at a high level.

Boling has some (limited) experience playing center. I like versatile guys like that. If we took Jones or Frederick I'd be fairly satisfied, but I think Frederick is a better fit if we are looking for a pure center prospect.

I agree, I really like Frederick, and I think that would be the missing piece, I just don't think Trevor Robinson is starting material, hes not that big

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinson played well when he was in. If we are going to draft an o linemen, we should look at warford or pugh
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
I agree, I really like Frederick, and I think that would be the missing piece, I just don't think Trevor Robinson is starting material, hes not that big

You can teach size (or rather, make someone bigger). But you can't teach some of the intangibles. Robinson played well when he was in. I'm not saying to just hand him the job, but he does deserve a shot at the job come training camp. If the Bengals don't give it to him, some other team will make him their prize FA signing like Evan Mathis a few years ago. (i know he's not a FA this year, but if he's never given a shot he will never resign)

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that I hate the Ravens less than the Steelers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:

It took you until now to learn that? Jeez.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:
Robinson played well when he was in.

Roninson got owned by Casey Hampton. That was a huge reason why Dalton struggled at times, he had no pocket to play in. That was the point of this thread, the Raven o-line gave Flacco time,

Still not sold on Robinson, but I do think he outplayed Cook.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:

Didn't think moderators were allowed to hate anything.....
sparky151

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Beck Bristow wrote:

Didn't think moderators were allowed to hate anything.....

Hating the Steelers is a good, clean, pure hate. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: