Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

now to the offseason...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 15115
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I agree that Griffen is a player that must be resigned. He is more vital going forward than Brian Robison given the age difference.


Personally i feel Griffen should be starting over Robison. You are also spot on about the age difference IMO.

Not saying I would advocate this, but would Robison have any trade value? I realize it would hurt our depth and most likely add a need of DE. Thoughts?


I dont think you trade either of them. The depth is what makes the Dline so effective.

I hope the Vikes can keep all three DEs going forward, but chances are Robison will likely walk and the Vikes will look for a new reserve DE allowing Griffen to start. I am in the start Griffen camp as well.


If you trade Robison, you can just draft another DE to replace him.

If we could get a 3rd for Robison and get Margus Hunt, I'd be estatic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
wcblack34


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 6381
Location: Anywhere but Wisconsin.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I agree that Griffen is a player that must be resigned. He is more vital going forward than Brian Robison given the age difference.


Personally i feel Griffen should be starting over Robison. You are also spot on about the age difference IMO.

Not saying I would advocate this, but would Robison have any trade value? I realize it would hurt our depth and most likely add a need of DE. Thoughts?


I dont think you trade either of them. The depth is what makes the Dline so effective.

I hope the Vikes can keep all three DEs going forward, but chances are Robison will likely walk and the Vikes will look for a new reserve DE allowing Griffen to start. I am in the start Griffen camp as well.


If you trade Robison, you can just draft another DE to replace him.

If we could get a 3rd for Robison and get Margus Hunt, I'd be estatic.


You can draft another DE, but there is NO guarantee that he can "replace" Robison. If you look at the dominant defenses in the league, they aren't in the happit of trading away pass rushers. The Giants had Osi and Strahan and still drafted Tuck. Then they went and spent 1st Round picks on Kiwanuka and JPP. I'm all for drafting another pass rusher, but not if it means trading away one of our proven ones. Especially when you play any type of Cover 2 defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48536
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Robison for a 4th or 5th rd pick just to take a DE in the 3rd rd. I dont think that is a truly effective strategy. In todays NFL you need to be deep at receiver, deep at CB and deep as pass rusher. Why make a strength of this team rather thin.

My strategy would be to extend Griffen this offseason while he should be somewhat cheap and extend Allen to lower his cap hit. Keep all three and then use a mid round pick on a developmental DE. The Vikes have done a good job in finding 4th rd DEs, why not grab another to sit behind Robison for a year and eventually replace Robison in 2014.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 26415
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three effective defensive ends. All three of them are free agents after next year. It would be foolish to trade any of them.

A guy I like in the 4th (our defensive end round) is David Bass; he really shined during east/west practice.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48536
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any good names of talented pass rushers who could fall like Ray Edwards and Everson Griffen did. That is the type of players I would look to draft. A projected 2nd round pick who falls to the 4th round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
arKnaD7


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 2046
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Anyone have any good names of talented pass rushers who could fall like Ray Edwards and Everson Griffen did. That is the type of players I would look to draft. A projected 2nd round pick who falls to the 4th round.

I like Quanterus Smith from Western Kentucky. He would have been in the conversation for the 1st round until he tore his ACL in November. Might not have an immediate impact while he regains his explosion, but could have great long-term value. He had 3 sacks against the highly regarded Alabama offensive line before he got hurt.

Quanterus Smith vs Alabama (2012)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48536
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Anyone have any good names of talented pass rushers who could fall like Ray Edwards and Everson Griffen did. That is the type of players I would look to draft. A projected 2nd round pick who falls to the 4th round.

I like Quanterus Smith from Western Kentucky. He would have been in the conversation for the 1st round until he tore his ACL in November. Might not have an immediate impact while he regains his explosion, but could have great long-term value. He had 3 sacks against the highly regarded Alabama offensive line before he got hurt.

Quanterus Smith vs Alabama (2012)


Another name could be Cornellius Carradine. Carradine has first rd talent but with his injury could fall. The Vikes could take a chance on him in round 4 as the fourth DE while he receovers in 2013, making room for him to have a bigger role in 2014 as a reserve DE/DT.

Carradine could even be put on PUP to start the year, allowing the team to hang onto Reed, who I do like as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AQuintus


Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 1340
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Gerald Hodges and Brandon Williams still have 4th round grades, I'd much rather go with them than a 4th DE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48536
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
As long as Gerald Hodges and Brandon Williams still have 4th round grades, I'd much rather go with them than a 4th DE.


All depends on what the team does in the other three rounds. The team also has two fourth round picks. I would be comfortable adding a DE in the middle of the draft considering that all three DEs have expiring contracts beyond 2013.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 75225
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Loadholt has witnessed the ups and downs of the NFL like few others. As a rookie, the Vikings came within an eyelash of the Super Bowl. Just two years later, he witnessed the worst season in franchise history in a 3-13 debacle of a season. He has seen the heights and the depths of the franchise, but, with the team on the upswing, he is hoping that his agent and the Vikings can land a deal that will keep him in purple for the next several years.

Loadholt: ďYou could say that Iíve seen a lot in just four years. My rookie year was great because there was so much excitement around us when we got on a run. Last year was pretty much the opposite of that. But both of them taught me a lot about doing my job to the best of my ability to help the team. We made a lot of improvement this season and have some young guys on the line that will be part of the Vikings for a long time. Iím excited about being a part of that. I would love to be a part of it because I think we have a team that can do some big things. Hopefully the guys upstairs feel the same way and we can get a deal done. If I have my way, Iím back here next year. Iíve been here for four years and this feels like home. Hopefully we will get something done, but you never know until it gets done. This is a business."

http://min.scout.com/2/1260901.html
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 5117
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good words to hear from Phil Loadholt. But business is business as he says. I would think the Vikings want him back in purple, as long as the price is fair.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7313
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys at 1500ESPN gave a general offseason preview for the offense.

http://youtu.be/785znf3Xez4

Primary talking points were Ponder, Musgrave, Harvin/WRs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 3109
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Anyone have any good names of talented pass rushers who could fall like Ray Edwards and Everson Griffen did. That is the type of players I would look to draft. A projected 2nd round pick who falls to the 4th round.

I like Quanterus Smith from Western Kentucky. He would have been in the conversation for the 1st round until he tore his ACL in November. Might not have an immediate impact while he regains his explosion, but could have great long-term value. He had 3 sacks against the highly regarded Alabama offensive line before he got hurt.

Quanterus Smith vs Alabama (2012)


Another name could be Cornellius Carradine. Carradine has first rd talent but with his injury could fall. The Vikes could take a chance on him in round 4 as the fourth DE while he receovers in 2013, making room for him to have a bigger role in 2014 as a reserve DE/DT.

Carradine could even be put on PUP to start the year, allowing the team to hang onto Reed, who I do like as well.


Would not surprise me at all if John Simon dropped in the draft. He is the definition of a tweener.

He looked awful during the linebacker drills at the Senior Bowl. He is way too stiff in coverage to be anything more than a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme. The thing is even in a 4-3 scheme, he will be limited as a LDE (in my opinion).

Still I would take him just because he is the hard working type like Ellison was last year. Those types seem to make it on the field even if they are not what the scouts are drooling over.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eastern Walrus


Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 3147
Location: on safari
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't madden, trades just don't happen in the NFL today... especially fair ones
_________________
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7313
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern Walrus wrote:
This isn't madden, trades just don't happen in the NFL today... especially fair ones


What are you referring to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 14 of 90

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group