Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patsfan25's Patriots Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Patsfan25's Patriots Offseason Reply with quote

I thought I'd come up with my version of our coming offseason. We continue to need help in the defensive back end, and an ally along Wilfork to accommodate the pressure up the middle. The defense, while having been rebuilt over the latter years, is coming close to its climax. A few right veteran and leadership pieces will really close out the build of this defense.

Resigns:
Sebastian Vollmer: Franchised/Eventual contract TBD
Julian Edelman: 2 years
Donald Thomas: 2 years
Danny Woodhead: 2 years
Aqib Talib: 3 years
Tracy White: 1 year
Marquise Cole: 1 year
Michael Hoomfafiweruoeifsdfjslfstui: 2 years
Trevor Scott: 1 year

I think it's pretty obvious Vollmer gets the tag this offseason. There will be on and off feud about contract negotiations, with the Patriots signing him to a long term contract at the end of next season after another injury free, pro bowl like year for Vollmer. Edelman is not leaving. Donald Thomas, who struggled in last preseason, really stepped up in the regular and improved. I can see a scenario where he takes over Connolly at RG if he continues to get better. Believe it or not, Ridley has proven time and time again, he just isn't a good player in crunch time. I just can't stress how much he has let us down in the defining moments of a lot of games. Because of that, and Woodhead's knack for being the opposite, they bring Woody back for that crunch time role. I'm not a fan of Talib personality wise, but who cares. He isn't here to talk about life and give wisdom. Talib allows us to play a little more aggressive, period. Our blitz percentages went off the roof after Talib was inserted into the line up and it's essential we can actually sustain a piece in this secondary aside from McCourty.

Cuts/Releases:
Wes Welker
Kyle Arrington
Deion Branch (retirement)
Pat Chung
Myron Pryor
Niko Koutouvides
Steve Gregory
Daniel Fells
Jake Bequette
Brandon Bolden
Kyle Love
Will Allen

Welker is really 50/50. He proved to be butterfingers again this postseason, and drastically aged before our eyes. He holds little to no value elsewhere, and if he continues to want a lot of money, we won't hang out for him. If Welker considers a contract as sufficient as his play has been, I can see him coming back. Kyle Arrington may hang around, but I think he's cut in training camp with the additions provided in this mock. Chung, I just can't come to accept. I had so much high hopes in him becoming the next Rodney Harrison, but he looked new out there on the field this year. I think we try to bring him back, but some other team buys out on him, and he leaves. Steve Gregory. 'Nuff said. Bequette, who I really liked on the college tapes, struggled all through preseason, looks a little overweight, and just got buried and was even beaten by Francis eventually. With Francis, Nink, Jones, Cunningham, Scott and other additions all making the roster next season, he gets cut in camp.

Free Agency:
(RB) Lance Ball (cut)
(RB) Jackie Battle = 1 year
(WR) Austin Collie (cut)
(WR) Mohammed Massaquoi = 1 year
(TE) Ben Hartsock (cut)
(DE/DT) Israel Idonije = 3 years
(DT) Amobi Okoye (cut)
(DT) Aubrayo Franklin = 1 year
(CB) Derek Cox = 3 years
(CB) Travis Daniels = 1 year
(CB) Drayton Florence (cut)
(S) Mike Mitchell = 1 year
(S) Ronde Barber = 1 year

The Patriots continue to compile pallets of free agents to employ a fully competent camp. But like most, a lot of buzz signings will be cut by the end of TC, as most players come in to fight for the last man standing. It's going to be another year where the WR, DL and CB competitions are fierce. The two marquee signings IMO will be Derek Cox and Israel Idonije. Cox is coming off an injury riddled season, so his market won't be hot. The Jags, who are in a wipeout phase, may just not go after him after we offer him a sizable, though not over the top, offer. Cox has the tools and caliber to be an elite starting corner. He brings amazing size, athleticism and skills to the table. This fortifies a permanent move for McCourty to SS, and lets Dennard 'start' as the nickel corner where he is best suited. And then Talib on the other side will make this the scariest CB unit since Law and Smith/Samuel. Israel Idonije is my most favorite player in this free agency class, and I would be sore if we didn't end up with him. That's how much I want this guy, and think he fits our needs drastically. Ix2 can line up anywhere in the front four and WILL get to the QB. His pass rushing technique is mastery. While he doesn't possess elite quickness and agility, he has one of the best hands as a DL in the NFL right now. At 6'6 and 275, he has the bulk and strength of a DT. That allows him to line up as the LE on 3-downs, then move inside on passing situations. We were left to use Cunningham for any sort of interior pass rush, and Israel will be the perfect fit for that if we grab him. On top of that, his professionalism and personality leaves an engraving mark as a professional athlete. Just a solid Patriot all around. I'm not sold on Love and Deaderick. While they haven't fallen flat on their faces, they just aren't relevant to any level and have only managed to 'be there.' They will only be as good as where they were picked up in the NFL, and that's fringe roster players. The signing of Franklin and Barber voice the veteran leadership movement. Franklin has declined a bit over the years, and his market has lowered. He will line up alongside Wilfork in the twin towers we like to employ in running down and early situations where he can still provide and I believe will, for us. Ronde Barber will opt to return, but I think the youth movement of the Bucs leaves him out hanging. He will come in and have that final run with us like a lot of players have. Barber at 37, is still playing at a high level. Barber will be the starting FS.

NFL Draft:
Trade 1.29 to Arizona for 2.7, 4.7 and 2014 2nd round pick.
2.7 = Barrett Jones (OL), Alabama
2.29 = Quinton Patton (WR), LA Tech
3.29 = Phillip Thomas (S), Fresno State
4.7 = Robert Alford (CB), S.E. Louisiana
4.29 = Trade to KC for 6.1 and 2014 4th round pick
6.1 = Josh Boyd (DT), Mississippi State
6.29 = Chad Bumphis (WR), Mississippi State
7.29 = Zeke Motta (S), Notre Dame

BB doesn't care about the general NFL draft board. He will draft according to his board and he continues to do that this year. Arizona wants to jump back into day 1 to take a QB and BB is willing. We add future picks for later on with this. The draft class is deep in WR and DB talent. With both being a need for us, we draft the successor to Wendell or Connolly in Jones. Jones will come in to start right away or replace whoever is to be relieved of their duty first on the interior line. Quinton Patton is a technical and very precise receiver who is very smart. He doesn't possess any elite traits, but has really good all around skills. His 20 catch bowl game solidified his place in the WR class. Phillip Thomas led the nation in INTs this season and has a knack to always be around the ball. His work ethic and film room prowess is unquestioned. He, along with Jones and Patton, are seniors. And they will the provide the leadership to go along with this draft class.

2013 New England Patriots(by order on depth chart):

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
RB: Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Jackie Battle
3DRB: Danny Woodhead/Shane Vereen
FB/Lead: Michael Hofjreojfasoifjifjsftutifruti
WR1: Brandon Lloyd
WR2: Quinton Patton
WR3: Julian Edelman
WR4: Mohammed Massaquio
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez
LT: Nate Solder
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Ryan Wendell/Barrett Jones
RG: Dan Connolly/Barrett Jones
RT: Sebastian Vollmer
RE: Chandler Jones, Jermaine Cunningham
DT: Aubrayo Franklin/Israel Idonije/Armond Armstead
DT/NT: Vince Wilfork
LE: Israel Idonije/Rob Ninkovich
OLB: Donta' Hightower
MLB: Brandon Spikes
OLB: Jerod Mayo
Nickel CB: Alfonzo Dennard, Marquise Cole
CB1: Aqib Talib, Ras-I Dowling
CB2: Derek Cox, Robert Alford, Marquise Cole
FS: Ronde Barber/Phillip Thomas/Tavon Wilson
SS: Devin McCourty/Phillip Thomas/ Mike Mitchell

K: Stephen Gostkowski
P: Zolton Mesko

PR: Julian Edelman
KR: Jeff Demps/Shane Vereen

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.

Last edited by patsfan25 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a lot of your FA and draft choices to be right on. Boyd in the 6th is legit. Patton in rd 2 is great as a senior bowl standout. Love the Barrett Jones flexibility. I would pencil him as a starter every week. Some where/ every where. Great job man and very in depth

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Patsfan25's Patriots Offseason Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I thought I'd come up with my version of our coming offseason. We continue to need help in the defensive back end, and an ally along Wilfork to accommodate the pressure up the middle. The defense, while having been rebuilt over the latter years, is coming close to its climax. A few right veteran and leadership pieces will really close out the build of this defense.

Resigns:

I think it's pretty obvious Vollmer gets the tag this offseason. There will be on and off feud about contract negotiations, with the Patriots signing him to a long term contract at the end of next season after another injury free, pro bowl like year for Vollmer. Edelman is not leaving. Donald Thomas, who struggled in last preseason, really stepped up in the regular and improved. I can see a scenario where he takes over Connolly at RG if he continues to get better. Believe it or not, Ridley has proven time and time again, he just isn't a good player in crunch time. I just can't stress how much he has let us down in the defining moments of a lot of games. Because of that, and Woodhead's knack for being the opposite, they bring Woody back for that crunch time role. I'm not a fan of Talib personality wise, but who cares. He isn't here to talk about life and give wisdom. Talib allows us to play a little more aggressive, period. Our blitz percentages went off the roof after Talib was inserted into the line up and it's essential we can actually sustain a piece in this secondary aside from McCourty.

Cuts/Releases:
Wes Welker
Kyle Arrington
Pat Chung
Myron Pryor
Niko Koutouvides
Steve Gregory
Daniel Fells
Jake Bequette
Brandon Bolden
Kyle Love
Will Allen

Welker is really 50/50. He proved to be butterfingers again this postseason, and drastically aged before our eyes. He holds little to no value elsewhere, and if he continues to want a lot of money, we won't hang out for him. If Welker considers a contract as sufficient as his play has been, I can see him coming back. Kyle Arrington may hang around, but I think he's cut in training camp with the additions provided in this mock. Chung, I just can't come to accept. I had so much high hopes in him becoming the next Rodney Harrison, but he looked new out there on the field this year. I think we try to bring him back, but some other team buys out on him, and he leaves. Steve Gregory. 'Nuff said. Bequette, who I really liked on the college tapes, struggled all through preseason, looks a little overweight, and just got buried and was even beaten by Francis eventually. With Francis, Nink, Jones, Cunningham, Scott and other additions all making the roster next season, he gets cut in camp.

Free Agency:
(RB) Lance Ball (cut)
(WR) Austin Collie (cut)
(TE) Ben Hartsock (cut)
(DT) Amobi Okoye (cut)
(CB) Derek Cox = 3 years

The Patriots continue to compile pallets of free agents to employ a fully competent camp. But like most, a lot of buzz signings will be cut by the end of TC, as most players come in to fight for the last man standing. It's going to be another year where the WR, DL and CB competitions are fierce. The two marquee signings IMO will be Derek Cox and Israel Idonije. Cox is coming off an injury riddled season, so his market won't be hot. The Jags, who are in a wipeout phase, may just not go after him after we offer him a sizable, though not over the top, offer. Cox has the tools and caliber to be an elite starting corner. He brings amazing size, athleticism and skills to the table. This fortifies a permanent move for McCourty to SS, and lets Dennard 'start' as the nickel corner where he is best suited. And then Talib on the other side will make this the scariest CB unit since Law and Smith/Samuel. Israel Idonije is my most favorite player in this free agency class, and I would be sore if we didn't end up with him. That's how much I want this guy, and think he fits our needs drastically. Ix2 can line up anywhere in the front four and WILL get to the QB. His pass rushing technique is mastery. While he doesn't possess elite quickness and agility, he has one of the best hands as a DL in the NFL right now. At 6'6 and 275, he has the bulk and strength of a DT. That allows him to line up as the LE on 3-downs, then move inside on passing situations. We were left to use Cunningham for any sort of interior pass rush, and Israel will be the perfect fit for that if we grab him. On top of that, his professionalism and personality leaves an engraving mark as a professional athlete. Just a solid Patriot all around. I'm not sold on Love and Deaderick. While they haven't fallen flat on their faces, they just aren't relevant to any level and have only managed to 'be there.' They will only be as good as where they were picked up in the NFL, and that's fringe roster players. The signing of Franklin and Barber voice the veteran leadership movement. Franklin has declined a bit over the years, and his market has lowered. He will line up alongside Wilfork in the twin towers we like to employ in running down and early situations where he can still provide and I believe will, for us. Ronde Barber will opt to return, but I think the youth movement of the Bucs leaves him out hanging. He will come in and have that final run with us like a lot of players have. Barber at 37, is still playing at a high level. Barber will be the starting FS.

NFL Draft:

BB doesn't care about the general NFL draft board. He will draft according to his board and he continues to do that this year. Arizona wants to jump back into day 1 to take a QB and BB is willing. We add future picks for later on with this. The draft class is deep in WR and DB talent. With both being a need for us, we draft the successor to Wendell or Connolly in Jones. Jones will come in to start right away or replace whoever is to be relieved of their duty first on the interior line. Quinton Patton is a technical and very precise receiver who is very smart. He doesn't possess any elite traits, but has really good all around skills. His 20 catch bowl game solidified his place in the WR class. Phillip Thomas led the nation in INTs this season and has a knack to always be around the ball. His work ethic and film room prowess is unquestioned. He, along with Jones and Patton, are seniors. And they will the provide the leadership to go along with this draft class.

RE: Chandler Jones, Jermaine Cunninghamg
DT: Aubrayo Franklin/Israel Idonije
Nickel CB: Alfonzo Dennard

KR: Shane Vereen

absolutely love the effort for this offseason... if all of this could fit under cap.... we would actualy have a defence that we could depend on late in games

I was wondeing if Phillip Thomas was more of a Hard hitting safety or a ball hawking safety?

also I doubt Ronde Barber plays next season... looks like he might retire
trivium2009

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some flaws but outside of that I'm ok with. First off I think Welker is resigned and Vollmer is tagged then Traded. Welker in my opinion has more value to not only to the team but to Brady, and Vollmer could get us a nice pick considering teams would look at him as their LT. Plus I would rather invest money in a reliable and less injury prone player than one who has a chronic back problem and is one year away from 30. Now I understand that if we Franchise Vollmer that a lot of the free agents you have signed won't be happening, but I don't think that Isreal and Cox leave their teams Cox more so because of the Jags struggle to defend the pass. Jammer may be a good replacement for Cox and keeping Okoye could be the option for Isreal. Now on to the draft. I like the draft minus the first pick we have in the second round. With a pick being that high I think it would be a big reach for Patton at that point, because Patton may be had in the third round because as you stated his is not elite in any way. So in Pattons place I'd like to see Wheaton who is like Mike Wallace but can catch and run routes better. Outside of that I like the offseason. PS I think we could, for the right team get a second round pick for Vollmer.
terbo559

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Patsfan25's Patriots Offseason Reply with quote

PatriotBeast wrote:

I was wondeing if Phillip Thomas was more of a Hard hitting safety or a ball hawking safety?

also I doubt Ronde Barber plays next season... looks like he might retire

He's more of a ball hawk. He led NCAA in picks this past season.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barber has said that he's not playing for any other team
terbo559

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is right on! This is something I can really see happening.
Riddler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!
patsfan25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't calculated it, but I'm fairly certain this would fit easily under the cap. Most of the signings at free agency are mediocre 3/mill a year veteran deals with Talib and Cox being the most expensive. Barber, I'm sure could be substituted with Charles Woodson, Nate Clements or Yeremiah Bell.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I don't like is Bequette being cut. I don't think we'll give up on a 3rd round pick after his rookie year.

I think we give him at least this year to see what he can do with 2 off season and a regular season to get acclimated to the NFL and the Pats.

I'm glad to see some people on the keep Vollmer bandwagon though Smile

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Patsfan25's Patriots Offseason Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:

Resigns:

Cuts/Releases:
Wes Welker
Kyle Arrington
Pat Chung
Myron Pryor
Niko Koutouvides
Steve Gregory
Daniel Fells
Jake Bequette
Brandon Bolden
Kyle Love
Will Allen

Free Agency:
(RB) Lance Ball (cut)
(WR) Austin Collie (cut)
(TE) Ben Hartsock (cut)
(DT) Amobi Okoye (cut)
(CB) Derek Cox = 3 years

NFL Draft:

RE: Chandler Jones, Jermaine Cunningham
DT: Aubrayo Franklin/Israel Idonije/Armond Armstead
Nickel CB: Alfonzo Dennard, Marquise Cole

KR: Jeff Demps/Shane Vereen

Pretty good stuff. Like the realism. Here's my .02 though.

- I'm not a fan at all of Phillip Thomas or Zeke Motta. Might as well just start Tavon Wilson.

- Aubrayo Franklin doesn't seem like a good fit at all for what we need in a defensive tackle. Redundant with Wilfork. If the Chargers don't resign him I'd guess a 3-4 team short on bodies (NO, KC, or IND) scoops him up at a better price.

- Idonije fits the scheme/locker room, but the fact that he played on such a talented front-7 with Peppers and Melton makes me question how good he really is, and whether he actually is an upgrade over Ninkovich (which is probably how he'll need to be paid).

- I don't see why on earth we'd sign all those defensive linemen and still resign Trevor Scott. Now that we know he's awful I don't think they'll waste their time.

- I really think Jake Ballard (health permitting) will make the team and not Ho Ho man. Ballard is a far better blocker, and has the skillset to play in Gronk's spot on the offense after a fashion. As we saw last season, Ho Ho man has no chance of filling that role.

Good stuff though, enjoyed the read.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This would be a disaster. Massaquoi is awful: slow, sloppy routes, inconsistent hands, no special teams value.

Quote:
I haven't calculated it, but I'm fairly certain this would fit easily under the cap.

The Pats have an estimated 14-18M in cap right now. I'm going to try to do the math working backwards:

Cuts/Releases:

Steve Gregory + $516,000
Daniel Fells + $991,000
Jake Bequette + $215,000
Brandon Bolden + $475,000
Kyle Love + $850,000

Total Savings - 3,047,000

So, let's say $21M in free space

(RB) Jackie Battle - $900,000
(WR) Mohammed Massaquoi = $1,000,000
(DE/DT) Israel Idonije = $3,000,000
(DT) Aubrayo Franklin = $1,000,000
(CB) Derek Cox = $3,500,000
(CB) Travis Daniels = $1,000,000
(S) Mike Mitchell = $1,000,000
(S) Ronde Barber = $4,000,000

+ $2,000,000 dead cap of the guys you project signing and cutting. (for comparison's sake, last year's team had over $22M in dead cap space, so just $2M seems like a vast understatement by the time the team breaks camp in August. It will probably be up near $8-10M)

So that's $17.4M right there. Maybe you can quibble a bit with some of those veterans and get them down to $850K but I also think Cox and Idonije will get more than I have listed so it's close to a wash.

Now, we have the re-signings:

Sebastian Vollmer: Franchised $9,400,000
Julian Edelman: $1,500,000
Donald Thomas: $900,000
Danny Woodhead: $2,000,000
Aqib Talib: $5,000,000
Tracy White: $825,000
Marquise Cole: $750,000
Michael Hoomanawanui: $700,000
Trevor Scott: $1,000,000

That's $22.08M. Again, maybe you think some of those are a bit high but I don't see how it gets below $17M (that's assuming Talib or Vollmer takes a sweetheart deal).

Quote:

This is probably about $3.5M in cap.

So you have:

$18M starting cap space
+$3.1M veteran cuts
-$3.5 rookies
-$19M veteran signings
-$22M re-signings

= $23.4M over the cap.

Now, I agree that some of my numbers are probably off (some too high and some too low). But I don't think I've overstated things by $23.5M.

I really don't see how this plan works at all to be honest - purely on a numbers basis. The talent you've added is really questionable IMO but even were I to think these are great additions, I just don't think it comes close to working financially.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: