Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft Advise (Niners fan)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Mock Draft Advise (Niners fan) Reply with quote

Hey guys, first off I have been reading your FFMD thread to gain a little perspective, but I thought I would also start this one up and ask if you guys could list what you feel the best direction in the draft would be.

I am doing a mock draft only, so all free agents are tendered back to their 2012 team. However, I will still be able to make trades and cut players as well. I am someone that only likes to do realistic moves which means I will cut players that should and more than likely will be cut. Also, I hate doing unrealistic trades.....takes out the fun of these if you ask me.

But anyways, first and foremost I would just like your opinion on where you guys feel your biggest needs are and where it would be best to address that in the draft as far as which positions should be invested with young players first? I will be taking BPA either way, but it is still necessary to your needs to truly grab BPA that fits your team IMO.

Also, if I could get some opinions on who you guys think should be cut and who should be kept (not cut and/or resigned).

At the moment this is what I have quickly put together;

Needs: OT, CB, OT, MLB, SS, OLB, OG, DT, DE, CB, K

Definite Cuts: Takeo Spikes, Atari Bigby, Antonio Garay

Might Cut: Jared Gaither, Jeromey Clary, Eddie Royal, LeRon McClain, Larry English

Let me know if anything is missing. Also, I am not a fan of Rivers at all, I apologize if that offends anyone here, but I will be trying to move him....however unlikely it is, I am not even sure of that yet, but I think it is in your guys teams best interest to try and move on from him if another viable QB candidate can be found to replace him. The viable QB candidate being the big IF part there.

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move Rivers, I don't think any single person here will want to give you advice. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
If you move Rivers, I don't think any single person here will want to give you advice. Laughing

I knew I should of left that part out Rolling Eyes . I will hold onto him......for now Twisted Evil

More than likely I will not move him, probably because the move would be to unrealistic for my liking. But what is your guys opinion of Rivers? I have just never been a big fan. He is on the same level as a Stafford to me. Both are guys that a lot of the time have thrown it up to great WR's who continuously make great plays which the QB benefits from and gets overrated because of. Again, just my opinion though.

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

I knew I should of left that part out Rolling Eyes . I will hold onto him......for now Twisted Evil

More than likely I will not move him, probably because the move would be to unrealistic for my liking. But what is your guys opinion of Rivers? I have just never been a big fan. He is on the same level as a Stafford to me. Both are guys that a lot of the time have thrown it up to great WR's who continuously make great plays which the QB benefits from and gets overrated because of. Again, just my opinion though.

No, we're not kidding. Unless you're completely ignoring cap implications, at which point your mock lacks any sense of realism, there's no point in trying to move Rivers - it would quite literally put the team in cap hell (as in it would put us OVER the cap before any free agent signings, monies budgeted to sign draft picks, or extensions of players that have earned them could be handled). In effect, trading Philip Rivers would cost us the ability to extend Donald Butler and make it a necessity to franchise tag him next season in order to keep him from hitting the open market. That's not how you build a winning/championship program.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Rivers is everything you need in a Quarterback. Threw to great receivers? Outside of Gates there has been no great receiver to put on a Chargers jersey. Any other team been forced to start an UDFA at LT while handicapped with Clary on the right side? No one would have survived the last two years. Watch the film. No quarterback will ever succeed without a pocket.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE and NT aren't needs at all, if FAs do just get assigned back to their original teams. At DE, Reyes and Liuget are both young and really good and Martin is a decent backup behind them. At NT, Franklin and Thomas were good in a rotation last season. Also, Clary should be a definite cut.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
DE and NT aren't needs at all, if FAs do just get assigned back to their original teams. At DE, Reyes and Liuget are both young and really good and Martin is a decent backup behind them. At NT, Franklin and Thomas were good in a rotation last season. Also, Clary should be a definite cut.

Thanks buddy.

As for the Rivers situation, I already admitted to not knowing the possibility of moving him due to cap implications. Also, it is nice to hear a teams fans stick up for a guy so with that added onto the fact that there is not a realistic chance of moving him it appears I will not entertain the idea anymore. I'll keep an update of moves I make and let you guys grade it/rip it to shreds. I will also continue asking for some input periodically as long as you guys do not mind

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

EverythingSF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, here is an update on my Mock as the Chargers GM. Forewarning, I know you guys will not be a fan of a couple of moves, but if you could put that sheer disappointment in me aside and give me advice on where to go from here it would be appreciated. I'm wondering where to cut the fat to get down to 53 players, so what bench/depth guys you would prefer to be cut.

Also, what do you think the chances of Shaun Phillips coming back are?

And of course, how do you think I have done so far? I really wanted to grab Warmack, but he was taken by the Titans in front of me. Then I chose Patterson over a pass-rusher and Vaccaro. I feel Patterson is a great talent and liked his value there.

Offense
QB- Alex Smith / Josh Johnson / Charlie Whitehurst
RB- Ryan Mathews / Jonathan Stewart / Edwin Baker
FB- Leron McClain
WR- Cordarelle Patterson / Macolm Floyd / Vincent Brown / Michael Spurlock
WR- Danario Alexander / Eddie Royal / Michael Willi
TE- Randy McMichael / LaDarius Green
LT- Eric Fisher / Mike Harris
LG- Tyronne Green / Seth Olsen / Rex Hadnot
C- Nick Hardwick / David Molk / Colin Baxter
RG- Louis Vasquez / Steve Schilling
RT- Jared Gaither / Brandon Dombroski / Kevin Haslim

Defense
DE- Corey Luiget /
DT- Cam Thomas / Ian Williams
DE- Vaughn Martin / Kendall Reyes
OLB- Shaun Phillips / Victor Butler
MLB- Donald Butler / Jonas Mouton / Bront Bird
MLB- Takeo Spikes / Demorrio Williams / Andrew Gachkar
OLB- Jarret Johnson / Melvin Ingram
CB- Antoine Cason / Shareece Wright /
CB- Quentin Jammer / Marcus Gilchrist / Greg Gatson
FS- Eric Weddle / Darrell Stuckey
SS- Reed Doughty / Corey Lynch / Sean Catthouse

Special Teams
K- Nick Novak
P- Mike Scifres
LS- Kyle Nelson

Trade Block
LT Jared Gaither
MLB Takeo Spikes

Needs
OG
OLB
MLB
CB
SS

Acquisitions
1) Sent 7th Rd Pick to DAL for OLB Victor Butler
2) Sent TE Antonio Gates to SF for QB Alex Smith
3) Signed free agent QB Josh Johnson
4) Signed free agent OG Seth Olsen
5) Sent WR Robert Meachem to CAR for RB Jonathan Stewart and CAR 5th
6) Sent QB Philip Rivers/2nd R.P. to ARI for their 1 R.P.
7) Signed free agent SS Reed Doughty
Cool Signed NT Ian Williams
9) Cut NT Aubrayo Franklin

Draft Picks
1.7 (ARI)- OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
1.11- WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2.13- Traded to ARI for Pick 1.7
3.14-
4.13-
5. (CAR)-
5.12-
6.11-
7.15-TRADED TO DALLAS FOR V.Butler

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You traded the franchise's most iconic TE for freaking Alex Smith and a franchise QB AND a second for just the 7th pick? And then you cut one of the best NTs in the league for a scrub in Ian Williams? And picked a wide receiver when we have no need with DX, Floyd, Brown, and Royal? Laughing

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
You traded the franchise's most iconic TE for freaking Alex Smith and a franchise QB AND a second for just the 7th pick? And then you cut one of the best NTs in the league for a scrub in Ian Williams? And picked a wide receiver when we have no need with DX, Floyd, Brown, and Royal? Laughing

This, i dont care about it since most people really dont like PR and its your prerogative, but i'm absolutely 1000% happy that your not our GM...lol

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A niner fan trades our franchise QB away so he can justify us trading away a top ten TE of all time so we can have Alex Smith as our QB? C'mon man! Get off the Rivers hate train, even in a down year with crap offensive support and saddled with Norv Rivers still put up top ten QB numbers.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good way to traiwreck a franchise!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I did not think it would get too much love. I do think in the trade I got pretty good value for Rivers though. The value equates out to the #16 pick overall in the draft and it allowed me to grab LT Eric Fisher. I then believed with the #11 pick I could grab LG Chance Warmack and solidify the left side of the line for the next 10+ years for you guys. As far as your WR's go, I feel Patterson is a big upgrade. I do like Alexander, but Malcolm Floyd is getting up their in age and Patterson is the bigger talent. Royal and Brown are good 3/4/5 type of WR's to have.

I know you guys are not fans of Alex Smith, but when he does good with a new team next year I will ask you to re-evaluate this Wink . As a quick question; hypothetically, if Alex Smith turned out to be a good QB for you guys would it make this a good offseason thus far?

I feel adding RB Jonathan Stewart and OLB Victor Butler was pretty good. I get losing Gates is not what is wanted, but he is getting up their in age and seems to have only a couple of years left of mediocrity when compared to his prime.

As for Aubrayo Franklin, I remember him with the 49ers and I would rather see Cam Johnson take over the reigns. I figured save the money and let Franklin walk. Then I brought in Williams to serve as depth to the position. So basically I feel Cam can get the job done better than Franklin, so why keep Franklin?

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
Haha I did not think it would get too much love. I do think in the trade I got pretty good value for Rivers though. The value equates out to the #16 pick overall in the draft and it allowed me to grab LT Eric Fisher. I then believed with the #11 pick I could grab LG Chance Warmack and solidify the left side of the line for the next 10+ years for you guys. As far as your WR's go, I feel Patterson is a big upgrade. I do like Alexander, but Malcolm Floyd is getting up their in age and Patterson is the bigger talent. Royal and Brown are good 3/4/5 type of WR's to have.

I know you guys are not fans of Alex Smith, but when he does good with a new team next year I will ask you to re-evaluate this Wink . As a quick question; hypothetically, if Alex Smith turned out to be a good QB for you guys would it make this a good offseason thus far?

I feel adding RB Jonathan Stewart and OLB Victor Butler was pretty good. I get losing Gates is not what is wanted, but he is getting up their in age and seems to have only a couple of years left of mediocrity when compared to his prime.

As for Aubrayo Franklin, I remember him with the 49ers and I would rather see Cam Johnson take over the reigns. I figured save the money and let Franklin walk. Then I brought in Williams to serve as depth to the position. So basically I feel Cam can get the job done better than Franklin, so why keep Franklin?

Aubrayo Franklin made vet minimum and was one of the best NTs in the league. Franklin vastly outplayed Thomas as a run stuffer....

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there's not possible way the going rate for a top flight QB is the #16 pick. You got hosed big time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: