Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quick Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Quick Mock Draft Reply with quote

just throwing a quick mock draft to get some feedback for my mock offseason later

1.Kevin Minter ILB LSU
I love this guy he is strong fast a sideline to sideline defender. He can cover pretty well and can get off blocks in my opinion the most complete ILB in this class
2.Datone Jones DE UCLA
Quick of the line strong can bring good pressure
Trade***Next years 3rd and our 4th this year for a teams mid third.
3a.Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern State
Small school talent that can bring pressure fro the middle but good against the run he would start day 1
3b.Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M
Well help fill the void of losing Kruger and helps Suggs ruch the passer
4.Kiko Alonso ILB
i dont think we resign Ellerbe and i dont believe in McClain but if anything this gives us depth
5a.B.W. Webb CB William & Mary
Small school small stature but plays big isnt afraid to tackle. good depth and who knows if he can develop to our #2 just imagine the nicknames we could come up with for the 2 webbs lol
5b. Joe Kruger DE Utah
We lose a Kruger and add another
6. Joseph Fauria TE UCLA
Great size isnt going to wow you but can be a good red zone threat and is a willing run blocker which is what we need cause with Pitta emerging a run blocking tight end is a bigger need
7.Tyrann Mathieu S LSU OR O-lineman
If he is there why not but if he isnt than big body O-lineman project player

What you guys think???
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I like Minter. He's my 2nd rated ILB in this draft at this point.
2. Datone Jones may or may not be at this spot, but if he is, I like him. He reminds me of Justin Tuck watching him on tape. Strong, athletic, big.
3. I don't like taking a NT so high in the draft over other more prominent needs... and I like even less taking a small school guys at a position like NT where the NFL can be difficult to adjust to for even the most dominant collegiate NTs. Not a fan of this pick.

4. Sean Porter is a guy that I think has some potential to develop at the next level. I like him. He already looks pretty advanced in coverage and when he was asked to just rush the passer, he seemed to do that pretty well. I think this pick is a perfect buy low option. My only issue with this pick is that we've already added Datone Jones... this pick now seems like overkill IMO. How are we going to find time for: Suggs, Upshaw, Jones, Porter?

5. Kiko Alonso- Haven't seen film of him, but I've heard good things. So until I watch his film I'll differ and say I like the pick.

6. Not sure who BW Webb is, any relation to Lardarius by any chance? If so, I love the pick already... Smile

7. Joe Kruger is someone that I HIGHLY doubt will be there. The NFL is a lot about bloodlines. The likely free agency hype in store for his older brother Paul, will likely see Joe benefit from this heavily. It'll boost his stock simply by relation IMO... I think Joe probably goes somewhere in that late 3rd to mid 4th round area... especially with pass rushers being at a premium.

8. Maybe Fauria falls that far due to injury. I guess I can see it.

9. Hell-o no... let that kid rot elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

3. I don't like taking a NT so high in the draft over other more prominent needs... and I like even less taking a small school guys at a position like NT where the NFL can be difficult to adjust to for even the most dominant collegiate NTs. Not a fan of this pick.

But NT is a major need for the team. Cody is a bust, and I wont try to name our current starter, but hes below average as well.

Lewis is gone, and with the potential of Ellerbe leaving via FA, addressing the d-line, more specifically NT will be critical.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru1234 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

But NT is a major need for the team. Cody is a bust, and I wont try to name our current starter, but hes below average as well.

Lewis is gone, and with the potential of Ellerbe leaving via FA, addressing the d-line, more specifically NT will be critical.

I still don't see it that way. That word is thrown out far too often with regard to Cody. And all I see is a player who starting out didn't fit Pees idiotic system. The team got gashed up front- including the likes of Ngata (yes, Ngata, I looked at the tape). Kemo was incredibly horrible at the beginning of the season... and Cody was below average to start the season but still helped shore up the run game much more than Kemo.

However everyone just harps on this notion that Cody was benched and he wasn't good.

But since midseason when Suggs returned, Cody, like Arthur Jones, has picked up his play. He's looked above average and in some series I've seen has been flat out dominant. Kemo has improved as well and now look average. But Cody still looks better.

Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing the tape of what everyone calling Cody a bust is looking at. He was a late 2nd round pick at NT. He was dominant, the team told him to lose weight... he did, became less dominant, but still good... we lose Pagano and Pees changes the system to want a penetrating NT so Kemo gets the start and Cody suffers.

Cody is not a bust. And even IF he were, we've gotten quality NT play from DeAngelo Tyson off the bench in rotation (IIRC). In Pees scheme Arthur Jones would make sense. So honestly, there's simply not a need to spend a 3rd round pick on a position that has proven to get impact players much lower in the ground. Ozzie knows how to find great DL late in the draft. This draft has us not adding ANY OL, heck it only has us adding ONE offensive player... and it has us adding that player at a position where we're already sitting pretty good at with TE. A high pick like a 3rd rounder could've been spent on an Oday Aboushi if he falls... or if other things went another direction than perhaps a 2nd rounder on a LT. Addressing LT is a MUCH bigger need than getting a NT... and they're much more difficult to find quality at as well. Then you factor in the fact that the player is from a small school and will have a learning curve and there's just nothing to love about that particular pick IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like Williams for Baltimore but not as a NT. He could play there but I think his best fit in a 3-4 is at the 5-technique. Williams has average length for the position but I don't worry about that as much as I do for a guy that's primarily relied on to get a pass-rush from the edge. In the 4-man sets he would obviously move to DT and I think a combo of Ngata and Williams inside would be great. That's a lot of size to go along with pass-rushing ability.

Overall I wouldn't hate this draft but I wouldn't love it either. Minter in the first round is a pick I like a lot if one of the pass-rushers I'm high on aren't available. Datone Jones in the second round is good too but taking him and Williams back-to-back would be overkill in my opinion. Jones is a DE in any alignment and since I think Williams is better off as a DE in a 3-4 that gives the Ravens Ngata, A. Jones, McPhee, D. Jones, and Williams for that position and that's just too much quality depth when there are bigger needs elsewhere.

Porter and Alonso are both nice picks. I like them a lot. They fill out the needed depth at LB since you don't have Ellerbe returning and Kruger is likely gone. I don't know anything about Webb. Adding Kruger is just another unnecessary addition. Depth is good but not when you have way too much of it. Tyson and Hall also played decently when they got snaps this season.

Fauria is a nice pick there if he makes it that long. Still a hell no for Mathieu though. Especially when you have the Ravens already taking a CB before him in this draft.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minter would be nice in the 1st. I'm more of a Te'o guy...but I'm starting to actually like Minter as my number 2 rated ILB.

As many should know, I'm veryyyyy high on Datone Jones. To me, he was the best player on defense at the SR Bowl. And to be honest, I don't even know if he last that long (I think more top 2nd -- late 1st) I think wherever the coach lines him up, he's going to be a premium pass rushing talent for years to come. If we do land him, I'd like to see him do what Kruger does for us (hybrid rush/end linebacker) but with Pees scheme you never know.

I like the Williams pick -- the trade, meh. I know he can play NT with his size. I like a lineup with Jones - Williams - Ngata (with McPhee and Cody rotating in). I agree, Cody is a bust. If we keep Pees as DC (which is looking like it will be for years to come), he'll never become anything. Maybe I shouldn't say he's a bust...but his play doesn't fit Pees system.

Porter is a good pass rusher.

Not really familiar with Alonso, so I can't speak on his behalf.

B.W. Webb was one of the corners that stood out to me in the SR Bowl. He'd be a great pick if he last that long.

Kruger would be good depth. But I think he goes earlier due to bloodlines -- like db said.

Overall, it would be a solid draft. Like others have said, some picks are overkill (Porter -- Jones...when we could've used a pick on an O-lineman, safety, and even WR) but I would be pleased.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
draftguru1234 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I still don't see it that way. That word is thrown out far too often with regard to Cody. And all I see is a player who starting out didn't fit Pees idiotic system. The team got gashed up front- including the likes of Ngata (yes, Ngata, I looked at the tape). Kemo was incredibly horrible at the beginning of the season... and Cody was below average to start the season but still helped shore up the run game much more than Kemo.

However everyone just harps on this notion that Cody was benched and he wasn't good.

But since midseason when Suggs returned, Cody, like Arthur Jones, has picked up his play. He's looked above average and in some series I've seen has been flat out dominant. Kemo has improved as well and now look average. But Cody still looks better.

Honestly, I'd be interested in seeing the tape of what everyone calling Cody a bust is looking at. He was a late 2nd round pick at NT. He was dominant, the team told him to lose weight... he did, became less dominant, but still good... we lose Pagano and Pees changes the system to want a penetrating NT so Kemo gets the start and Cody suffers.

Cody is not a bust. And even IF he were, we've gotten quality NT play from DeAngelo Tyson off the bench in rotation (IIRC). In Pees scheme Arthur Jones would make sense. So honestly, there's simply not a need to spend a 3rd round pick on a position that has proven to get impact players much lower in the ground. Ozzie knows how to find great DL late in the draft. This draft has us not adding ANY OL, heck it only has us adding ONE offensive player... and it has us adding that player at a position where we're already sitting pretty good at with TE. A high pick like a 3rd rounder could've been spent on an Oday Aboushi if he falls... or if other things went another direction than perhaps a 2nd rounder on a LT. Addressing LT is a MUCH bigger need than getting a NT... and they're much more difficult to find quality at as well. Then you factor in the fact that the player is from a small school and will have a learning curve and there's just nothing to love about that particular pick IMO.

Fair enough. But I'd still want another NT, as Kemo probably isn't going to be brought back.

Tyson has been a pleasant surprise, but we could definitely upgrade. Not to mention a capable NT will only push Cody to work harder.
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments I see most are pretty positive so thats good to address the concerns:

i dont think adding all these pass rushers is overkill at all. We have never had pass rushers and adding a few in the draft would be amazing. I believe strongly in a rotation to keep players fresh like the Giants do and also it gives us depth of players go down like Suggs did and when players leave cause of free agency we have good players to replace them.

3-4
Suggs-Minter-McClain-Upshaw (running downs)
Ngata-Cody-Jones

Suggs-Minter-Alonso-Porter (passing downs)
Datone-Williams-Ngata(Mcphee)

4-3
Suggs-Minter-Upshaw (running downs)
Jones-Ngata-Cody-Datone

Suggs-Minter-Porter (Passing Downs)
Mcphee-Ngata-Williams-Datone

How can you not love those lineups and depth AMAZING!!!

Ill admit Kruger was a bit of a stretch so you can substitute a receiver or safety instead
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not how most NFL teams work though. The Ravens are especially notorious for not doing a lot of substituting on defense. In theory it makes sense and I actually agree with the concept but you don't see it effectively too often. The Giants are an exception but when you have pass-rushing options like Pierre-Paul, Tuck, and Umenyiora you can substitute all you want and still be good. A rotation at DE of A. Jones, McPhee, D. Jones, and Williams (in my scenario) just isn't the same thing. Their defense has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons anyways so I wouldn't be using them as a reference at the moment.

I'm actually starting to think that the Ravens aren't going to address the defensive line with a high pick. A pass-rusher is definitely in play but I'm not so sure about a down-lineman. Now that both Jones and McPhee are healthy that rotation has been pretty productive lately. With Ngata playing across from them I don't think the team will see it as a big need. Like I said before both Tyson and Hall did fairly well considering their spot on the depth chart when they did get snaps so they're considered capable depth (for now). That leaves defensive line depth chart looking like this:

DT: Ngata, Tyson, Hall
NT: Cody
DE: Jones, McPhee

There are quite a few variations you can do with a 4-3 alignment too. Suggs comes in as a DE and Upshaw can play there too in addition to Jones and McPhee (who can slide inside to DT too). Add in X rookie pass-rusher and that's a fairly good defensive line rotation without a highly drafted down-lineman. Now a guy like Datone Jones would be different since he's a down-lineman as well as a pass-rusher off the edge but I think I'm communicating my point.

Another NT is a need since Cody needs a breather every once in a while but like db424 said Tyson can play there so I don't think they need to spend a higher pick on that position either. It's tough because I would like to see the Ravens control the LOS better but they have been doing a much better job of that lately and I don't think the team will view the Jones/McPhee combo as in need of an upgrade.
Boodgyman5220

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give cody another season or two before you call him a bust. I think hes entered his cocoon years. He played as a big man and excelled at it. Then the team asked him to become more. give him a year or two to transition from a big man to a massive man. His body will change, he'll put on more muscle and become a more explosive and complete player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like most about this draft is getting two versatile defensive linemen who should fit very well in pees scheme. We may not agree with his scheme and it certainly is not what we are used too. However there's no arguing the fact it has it's merits and potential to be very effective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: