Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Shea McClellin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
No you're not. He doesn't have to blitz every play. He can still matchup in coverage.

That isn't his skill set at all.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
No you're not. He doesn't have to blitz every play. He can still matchup in coverage.

We did fine in college. He's not going to matchup against the 4.5 TEs but he's not bad there.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

We did fine in college. He's not going to matchup against the 4.5 TEs but he's not bad there.

Fine in college doesn't translate to good in the pros...his skill set is as a pass rusher...that's what he was drafted to do and that's what he should be left to do as since we have had a 4 man rotation at DE we have seen better results.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Fine in college doesn't translate to good in the pros...his skill set is as a pass rusher...that's what he was drafted to do and that's what he should be left to do as since we have had a 4 man rotation at DE we have seen better results.
His athleticism translates to a guy that could play in coverage and he has experience doing that. I'm not saying take him out of the rotation but I think the extra wrinkle could be a good thing.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

His athleticism translates to a guy that could play in coverage and he has experience doing that. I'm not saying take him out of the rotation but I think the extra wrinkle could be a good thing.

No, he has great straight line speed and burst off the line. What he doesn't have is incredible agility, or the hips to turn and run if needed. We already occasionally stand him up and drop him into a zone - we don't need to move him to LB to do that.

I've yet to see one good reason why we should move him to LB - or how that gives the Bears or Shea an advantage.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

No, he has great straight line speed and burst off the line. What he doesn't have is incredible agility, or the hips to turn and run if needed. We already occasionally stand him up and drop him into a zone - we don't need to move him to LB to do that.

I've yet to see one good reason why we should move him to LB - or how that gives the Bears or Shea an advantage.
His latereal quickness is his best asset. It's likely why we chose him over guys like Perry and Jones. He's a very fluid athlete.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

I think given the results of our D last year we don’t need to try and implement wrinkles…we have to stick to what we do well.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:

More time on the field, IE-getting experience. If he already drops into a zone then the coaches think he is competent and mobile enough to do so anyway. He was the first round pick, so he should be a playmaker. And the Sam isn't dropping into a deep zone in our defense, so his range doesn't have to be fantastic. H e did a lot of coverage in college, so it isn't like we are taking Paea or Wooten and putting them in space.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
More time on the field, IE-getting experience.

As a LB? He doesn't need more experience as a LB - he needs it at DE, that's his position.

Quote:
If he already drops into a zone then the coaches think he is competent and mobile enough to do so anyway.

There is a big difference between doing it as a DE dropping into a short-zone to cover a hook one or two plays a game - and playing SLB for 40 snaps.

Quote:
He was the first round pick, so he should be a playmaker.

He is a playmaker - in limited snaps he had the third-most disruptions on the team.

Quote:
And the Sam isn't dropping into a deep zone in our defense, so his range doesn't have to be fantastic.

No, but it would be more than he has. Additionally now you are taking our quickest DE, with a terrific first step and you are putting him 5 yards further away from the QB. I don't see the point

Quote:
H e did a lot of coverage in college, so it isn't like we are taking Paea or Wooten and putting them in space.

Thats a little misleading. According to those who watched Boise ST religously - Shea lined up with his hand in the dirt 70% of the time. He played some OLB, and a very little MLB. But he stayed at DE because thats were he was best and his talents were most valuable.

He's going to get plenty of time at DE - even with Peppers and Wooten starting. He needs to get stronger, but he's already extremely effective at DE - I see no reason to change whats worked.

Just like peoples fascination with the 34, this seems like change for the sake of change.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it a little hypocritical to insist that the new staff moves McClellin to LB when one of the biggest knocks on Lovie's staff was the repeated switching of player positions, especially of Danieal Manning and Chris Williams?
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shea just needs to learn some more pass rush moves and get a little stronger IMO. I have no problem with using him a little as a 3/4 OLB style roamer or dropping him into a short zone on a zone blitz, but those should be wrinkles and not full time responsibilities.
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe someone said Shea wasn't making an impact. The games he didn't play in, we barely had any pressures. The kid seemingly almost always got to the quarterback when he was in the field.

He has a bright future. Remember, he's still pretty raw.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: