Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We will NOT fill every perceived hole this offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: We will NOT fill every perceived hole this offseason Reply with quote

Sorry to break it to everyone.

Between:

- creating more holes by not signing our own FA's
- missing on key FA's
- rookies in the first 3 rounds that will disappoint
- drafting a 1 or 2 players in rounds 2 & 3 that are more for depth

A mock offseason not filling very hole isn't a bad mock offseason.

Just sayin'...
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: We will NOT fill every perceived hole this offseason Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
Sorry to break it to everyone.

Between:

- creating more holes by not signing our own FA's
- missing on key FA's
- rookies in the first 3 rounds that will disappoint
- drafting a 1 or 2 players in rounds 2 & 3 that are more for depth

A mock offseason not filling very hole isn't a bad mock offseason.

Just sayin'...

Anybody who thinks you can fill every hole in one off season, is living in a dream world.

It's obvious you can't do that. With that said, 2 & 3 round picks are not depth picks. They are future development players. Since we are building our team on offense like the Packers, they don't have a 1st round WR starting for them. They have spend more 1st round picks on OL and defense than they have WR.

I think we will go pass rusher and OL early on. Then we will go receiver. You still will have holes at the other OL position, TE, and CB. Free agency can help fill the voids and so can late round picks. They aren't meant to be long team though. They are meant to fill the void for now and we will fix it the next draft. That's what good teams do.

UniversalAuthor
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to regularly create more holes than we fill each and every off-season. The regular gutting of this team paired with the history of sub-par drafting makes having a competitive roster of talent nearly impossible.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
We seem to regularly create more holes than we fill each and every off-season. The regular gutting of this team paired with the history of sub-par drafting makes having a competitive roster of talent nearly impossible.

You are absolutely correct merc.
To me the biggest hole (aside from lack luster drafts & Old injured FAs) has to be the Jake Long deal.

I mean seriously, how could they not see that elephant coming into a china shop ?!?!?

To me this regime had to have looked at drafting Tanney & knowing that if they didn't get a JL discount he was going to walk.

Again, as many holes as we have to fill I do not see anything more imp than acquiring JL replacement.
I am extremely uncomfortable putting all my eggs in the J. Martin basket.

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add talent, build continuity, produce on the field, add more next off-season.

I've said it before, but this organization has been going after band-aid fixes since the 80's...Ireland finally broke down the roster and has created this off-season of abundance (cap space and picks). Its not enough to completely revamp the roster, but it a very nice start to build according to what Philbin wants. We can debate needs, deals, value and desires, but I'm sure this may be the most excited many of us have been for an off-season due to how much can be done.

Free Agency and draft can get here soon enough....I love speculating and debating on that speculation, but its going to be a lot more fun to discuss the actual moves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about starting a post but this seems a good place.

Would you consider it a wise investment to grab a guy in round 4 or later that had slipped due to injury? For example, John Boyett was once considered a darn good safety. Would you think it a wise risk if he could be had in the 7th round and be allowed to rehab for another year?

To me, if a guy was once considered a lock for 1st/2nd round.....fills a team need....and can be had in rounds where you wouldn't hope to get a starter....why not? Jackson Jeffcoat is another I'd risk a late pick on.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:

Would you consider it a wise investment to grab a guy in round 4 or later that had slipped due to injury? For example, John Boyett was once considered a darn good safety. Would you think it a wise risk if he could be had in the 7th round and be allowed to rehab for another year?

To me, if a guy was once considered a lock for 1st/2nd round.....fills a team need....and can be had in rounds where you wouldn't hope to get a starter....why not? Jackson Jeffcoat is another I'd risk a late pick on.

I think you would have to get a detailed medical report in each case. Then make a determination of risk/reward.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

We gutted the team ? Regularly ? Point to someone other than Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis who is gone that you would have back.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

I think you would have to get a detailed medical report in each case. Then make a determination of risk/reward.

Doesn't Lamar Miller fit that description...?
I would be OK with something like that if we were regularly knocking on the Playoffs door.
But as of now we have some serious holes to fill, might be a bit of a gamble don't you think...?

sug
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you prioritize.

What was the biggest reason we were not successful offensively? Sub par offensive line play from, specifically RG and RT. We also lacked any kind of big play ability from our WRs as a group. Only Hartline and occasionally guys like Clay, Moore, Mathews were in any away electric.

What was our biggest problem defensively? Our pass rush had a tendency to disappear and our CBs couldn't step up when that happen.

Therefore, our priority should be:
1. RG / LG
2. RT / LT
3. WR
4. DE
5. CB

Out of all these position we need to fix CB is the most obvious one that we can go without addressing for another year. If we improve the pass rush, we are also helping out the DBs.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

We gutted the team ? Regularly ? Point to someone other than Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis who is gone that you would have back.

Off the top of my head:

Brandon Marshall
Vontae Davis
Reggie Bush (to be seen)
Jake Long (to be seen)
Wes Welker
Donald Thomas
Kevin Vickerson
Wade Smith
Adewale Ogunleye
Bryan Cox
Troy Vincent
Marco Coleman

I'm sure there are many more, but my mind is tired. Its Friday and almost quitting time.

Also, please note, that the gutting is usually complete. Meaning, its not necessarily that its only the big names and top talent that I take issue with, but that when a new scheme comes in we then have to replace virtually everyone. No one is going to miss John Jerry 5-10 years from now. No one. However, if he needs to be replaced because the ZBS doesn't fit his skill set and he produced more when in man blocking scheme, then that is a talent drain. We need to use either draft resources or free agent dollars to put someone in that does fit.

In other words the talent drain from rebuilding sets a team back hugely. We have made sea changes to this team 4 times in 7 years. Its no wonder we wallow in mediocrity or the basement.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Brandon Marshall
Vontae Davis
Reggie Bush (to be seen)
Jake Long (to be seen)
Wes Welker
Donald Thomas
Kevin Vickerson
Wade Smith
Adewale Ogunleye
Bryan Cox
Troy Vincent
Marco Coleman

I'm sure there are many more, but my mind is tired. Its Friday and almost quitting time.

Also, please note, that the gutting is usually complete. Meaning, its not necessarily that its only the big names and top talent that I take issue with, but that when a new scheme comes in we then have to replace virtually everyone. No one is going to miss John Jerry 5-10 years from now. No one. However, if he needs to be replaced because the ZBS doesn't fit his skill set and he produced more when in man blocking scheme, then that is a talent drain. We need to use either draft resources or free agent dollars to put someone in that does fit.

In other words the talent drain from rebuilding sets a team back hugely. We have made sea changes to this team 4 times in 7 years. Its no wonder we wallow in mediocrity or the basement.

I'd love to have Sampson Satele back right about now. (3rd rnd pk)
He was not a good fit for the Power Running gm of Sporano but that guy could shed blocks & boogie
laterally to pancake a LB 10 yds upfield all day long.

sug
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dolphins can get by without adding either a DE or a CB and also by not adding either a OT or a OG. Everything else is necessary.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Deets

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you consider a hole. I hate the current pay level for the cornerback position. I would be annoyed if we sign one in free agency even though thats a problem. I'd rather snag two in the second, third or fourth rounds.

The positions that I absolutely need to see addressed are OL, receiver, and tight end.

FF Member #67
SUG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
The Dolphins can get by without adding either a DE or a CB and also by not adding either a OT or a OG. Everything else is necessary.

\

I so vehemently disagree with this statement.
Here is a list (in no particular order) of need from a "Building Blocks" perspective as I see it.

1). LOT
2). TE
3). DE

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: