Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Haley on 4-3, the LA story, Kiffin, Ryan and Hatcher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Haley on 4-3, the LA story, Kiffin, Ryan and Hatcher Reply with quote

Quote:
Asked Tuesday how that scheme will work with this current group of Cowboys, Haley responded that it’s “going to be awesome.”

“They have a strong secondary and they got a strong linebacking corps, and then they got mobile and agile defensive linemen,” Haley told Norm Hitzges on 1310 The Ticket [KTCK-AM]. “It simplifies the defense a lot. It makes you be able to react and not think. When you think, somebody’s getting up in your chin. When you’re in that reaction mode, if someone moves, you move.”

Having to think too much was one of the biggest knocks on the 3-4 base defense that Rob Ryan was implementing the previous two seasons. Haley seems to think that DeMarcus Ware will benefit from the change, one that will move him from an outside linebacker to a pass-rushing end like Haley was.

“I don’t know who’s going to be the two ends but for Ware, I think he’s going to be totally awesome because all of that other crap he can just throw out,” Haley said. “He doesn’t have to think about it. In a 4-3 there’s only so much a d-lineman has to think about.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/charles-haley-4-3-defense-will-be-awesome-for-cowboys-especially-demarcus-ware.html/

Quote:
No, make that especially on the practice field. To Haley, this was the only way the youngsters were going to learn what it took to play for the Dallas Cowboys. In his own unique way, he was going to assist the coaching staff in training the kids.

Well, at least that was the plan for the first day of training camp in 1994, at St. Edward’s University in Austin. This was the day Haley met the team’s second-round pick from Sonoma State, a quiet, unassuming, yet massive 22-year-old by the name of Larry Allen.

The huddles break for the first play of the scrimmage, and Haley immediately starts in on Allen, calling him, well, let’s use our imagination on this while assuming it was entertaining if nothing else. Allen doesn’t say a word, doesn’t even look up and acknowledge him. The ball is snapped, Haley, in his prime as one of the game’s elite pass rushers, takes perhaps a stride, no more as Allen promptly treats him like a four-year-old does a Slinky.

“Charles had absolutely no idea who Larry was, none,” longtime Cowboys offensive line coach Hudson Houck said. “Larry just manhandled Charles, which completely took him by surprise. And Charles, who wasn’t a man of many words, gets up, walks over to me, and says, ‘Coach, you have one heck of a player there,’ and walks back to the defensive huddle.

“Larry wasn’t one of the best offensive linemen I was around in my 28 years coaching in the NFL. He was one of the best football players. No one worked harder either.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JeffSullivan/LA-Story-Part-2-Larry-Allen-Introduces-Himself-to-Haley/e2c0fad5-5252-47ca-a91c-a1ba066c8a71

Quote:
For this reason, we go all the way back to 1998, when Kiffin was comfortably running his innovative defense in Tampa Bay with much success (and, coincidentally, when the playbook I've come to possess originated from). We haven't seen a real Monte Kiffin defense in years, so it's only logical to go straight to the source.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/29/3929390/dallas-cowboys-inside-monte-kiffin-playbook-philosophies-tampa-2

Quote:
Maybe Fisher -- and a few other personnel people -- have come to the conclusion that Ryan's defense isn't good enough. From a statistical standpoint, the Cowboys regressed under Ryan.

In 2011, Ryan's first season, the Cowboys had 15 interceptions. That slipped to seven in 2012, tied for fewest in the NFL with Kansas City. Coach Jason Garrett told reporters at the Senior Bowl that a lack of turnovers were an issue for him, and it's assumed the head coach feels he's got the players capable of creating them.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705297/did-rob-ryans-time-in-dallas-hurt-his-chances-for-a-new-job

Quote:
As the Cowboys move to a 4-3 scheme under Monte Kiffin, it’s unsure just where Hatcher will line up in this defense. But for now, it’s probably better to keep the options open.

I see a scenario where Hatcher has to wait until the cards are dealt before he really knows what spot he will play.

If Spencer is not re-signed, then I would think Hatcher starts out as a defensive end off the edge. If Ratliff doesn’t return, then Hatcher might play more inside at defensive tackle.

One scout confirmed to me Monday that Hatcher’s versatility is a tremendous asset for the Cowboys as they make these decisions.

With a listed size of 6-6, 305, Hatcher could seemingly play either end or tackle right now. He’ll probably try to go either up or down 7-10 pounds if he knows which position he will play, but he really doesn’t have to.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Hatcher%E2%80%99s-Versatility-Could-Help-Make-Spring-Decisions/6e076c6c-5ef0-4a9b-8024-d64819948019
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story on Allen.

I also agree with Haley that the move is going to benefit Ware, contrary to what some others believe.

^^^mack
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/29/3929390/dallas-cowboys-inside-monte-kiffin-playbook-philosophies-tampa-2
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why Garrett wanted to bring Kiffin in....

^^^mack
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the Kiffin Philosophy

Sig courtesy of mack.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#8 (be disciplined) in team philosophy and #5 (eliminate foolish penalties) in defensive objectives are the 2 key things that I want to see implimented on this squad the most!!!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mental preparation and be fundamentally sound. Music to my ears.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ware is such a wuss.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware suffered a fractured wrist, hyperextended elbow and a torn labrum this season. "I was playing about six games with one arm."

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Ware is such a wuss.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware suffered a fractured wrist, hyperextended elbow and a torn labrum this season. "I was playing about six games with one arm."

Respect

Sig courtesy of mack.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Ware is such a wuss.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:

Respect

Glad he can rest now. Last year just wasn't meant to be. I really think it's going to be nextyearfordaboyz.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Ware is such a wuss.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:

Respect

No. Trade him. Who wants an almost sure fire Hall of Fame player, that plays injured, instead of checking it in to retire with the Cowboys.
Northland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Ware is such a wuss.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:

Respect

No. Trade him. Who wants an almost sure fire Hall of Fame player, that plays injured, instead of checking it in to retire with the Cowboys.

Very tough player. Already one of my all time favourites who just scored more points in my book. I think he will do quite well in Kiffin's defense. Looking forward to seeing him healthy in 2013.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ware was playing with one arm what does that say about Butler ?

SO glad we won't be looking for 3-4 olb's anymore. It's a hard position to fill.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman: Dallas should draft their next QB

Quote:
To bring a guy in essentially every season, whether you draft him in the fourth round or fifth round or third round, whatever it might be. I think there's something to be said for that.

He did not say Dallas should replace Romo, just that they should start trying to find the heir apparent with Romo set to turn 33 in April.

^^^mack
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Aikman: Dallas should draft their next QB

Quote:
To bring a guy in essentially every season, whether you draft him in the fourth round or fifth round or third round, whatever it might be. I think there's something to be said for that.

He did not say Dallas should replace Romo, just that they should start trying to find the heir apparent with Romo set to turn 33 in April.

Aikman is correct. Dallas should draft a qb or 2 every year until they find a legit replacement. Waiting for a Luck or Grifin isn't going to happen. Niners look smarter and smarter every day with the Kaepernick selction. I truly have no idea what Dallas saw in McGee. Romo has never been pushed by anyone because there is no one to push him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: