Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Senior Bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: 2013 Senior Bowl Reply with quote

With the Senior Bowl coming up soon, I thought it might be a good idea to at least get some links up:

Official Senior Bowl Site: http://www.seniorbowl.com/

And here's a pretty good scouting site for info on the players: http://www.optimumscouting.com/site/content/2013-senior-bowl-headquarters.html

(EDIT) - For those interested, the actual weigh-in/measurement data is now complete and can be found at http://www.thefootballstandard.com/scouting/senior-bowl-weigh-in-results/

Last edited by Yibbyl on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by far my favourite week of the off-season, except for draft weekend.

I watch all the practices taking notes, and tape the game so I can go over it a few times.

A few names I'll be watching this very closely this year..

North:
Ryan Nassib QB
Mike Glennon QB
Ryan Otten TE
Hugh Thorton G
Michael Buchanan DE
Alex Okafor DE
Kevin Reddick LB

South:
Landry Jones QB (my boy)
Tyler Wilson QB
All their WR's
Mychal Rivera TE
Dj Fluker G
Lary Warford G
Lavar Edwards DE
Vince Williams LB
Chase Thomas LB

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some surprising results from the measurements so far:

Tyler Wilson has 8 5/8" hands! I have to believe that that will hurt his draft stock as he may very well end up being a cronic fumbler.

Justin Pugh has 31 1/2" arms. Can you say T-Rex? Also gotta hurt him on draft day, I would think.

DJ Fluker at 6' 4-/8" and 355# with 36 3/8" arms is one very big boy. I'm guessing that weight he's carrying means he will never see the left side of an NFL OL, at least as a tackle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ Manuel is another Qb who will be worth watching for the south

Thanks Max
Hurricanes2291

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how any of the QB's can be drafted to lead this team of the future. Especially after the Senior Bowl week.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricanes2291 wrote:
I don't see how any of the QB's can be drafted to lead this team of the future. Especially after the Senior Bowl week.

For what its worth, JP Losman had a stellar Senior Bowl IIRC.

I know myself and I believe most scouts do not downgrade a player because of the game, the week of practice is huge, and a couple guys stood out then.
For me at least, the combine and pro day hold more stock, we'll see how well the can throw and their measurables.

BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Hurricanes2291 wrote:

For what its worth, JP Losman had a stellar Senior Bowl IIRC.

I know myself and I believe most scouts do not downgrade a player because of the game, the week of practice is huge, and a couple guys stood out then.
For me at least, the combine and pro day hold more stock, we'll see how well the can throw and their measurables.

Losman did I believe as well.. He was a very late riser based on potential.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the qbs in this game showed nothing but disappointment. Tyler wilson throwing at ankles or over throwing guys, glennon throwing no where near his wr, and nassib under throwing and forcing the ball was bad. Landry jones I didnt see anything great on him. Ej was the best qb out there but he made plays that were head scratchers. Does anyone else see Fitz-esq type players in this game because I did. Ej made one play that wowed me for the TD to the TE but that was it. The rest was like watching a bad car wreck you kept looking at but nothing good came of it. All in all this is not the draft to find the qb of the future. No i am not going off just one game but to watch and hear this whole year about the qbs and their mistakes which came out again in the senior bowl.

Thanks Max
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
All the qbs in this game showed nothing but disappointment. Tyler wilson throwing at ankles or over throwing guys, glennon throwing no where near his wr, and nassib under throwing and forcing the ball was bad. Landry jones I didnt see anything great on him. Ej was the best qb out there but he made plays that were head scratchers. Does anyone else see Fitz-esq type players in this game because I did. Ej made one play that wowed me for the TD to the TE but that was it. The rest was like watching a bad car wreck you kept looking at but nothing good came of it. All in all this is not the draft to find the qb of the future. No i am not going off just one game but to watch and hear this whole year about the qbs and their mistakes which came out again in the senior bowl.
Personally, I don't think we should take much from this game from the QB position. Last year Russel Wilson threw a ball late on a seam route for a pick (and the defense can only play cover 1 or cover 3 so you know there is a safety in the middle of the field and that you can't throw that route late) and missed a WR open on a corner route for a TD. Its an all star game, guys aren't used to each other, there is no game plan, the offense isn't taylored around the QB's skill set.

I think the most important thing regarding QBs will be the interviews. All of the top 8 or 9 prospects in this draft have the physical tools. Who is going to be the first guy in and last guy out? Who is going to tirelessly work to perfect his craft? Who is going to be a leader of men? Who is going to will his team to victory after victory?

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKTurtle51 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
Personally, I don't think we should take much from this game from the QB position. Last year Russel Wilson threw a ball late on a seam route for a pick (and the defense can only play cover 1 or cover 3 so you know there is a safety in the middle of the field and that you can't throw that route late) and missed a WR open on a corner route for a TD. Its an all star game, guys aren't used to each other, there is no game plan, the offense isn't taylored around the QB's skill set.

I think the most important thing regarding QBs will be the interviews. All of the top 8 or 9 prospects in this draft have the physical tools. Who is going to be the first guy in and last guy out? Who is going to tirelessly work to perfect his craft? Who is going to be a leader of men? Who is going to will his team to victory after victory?

Exactly, there are too many people on here that out stock into stats, height, length and and all that other stuff. And thats why you're sitting behind your computing typing instead of actually scouting players. Character should not be over looked, and i don't mean red flags but rather like what DK was saying.

Whichever of these QB's is smart enough, and has the itch to get better is the one that I want. Right now I would say its a toss up between Wilson and Glennon.

cdavls17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that those guys had issues all season long, and the analysts have pointed them out. As I watched the game and the commentators pointed out that they were showing the same issues that they were doing all year long which to me is they either werent coached properly to show improvement or they just dont have what it takes. All 4 qbs taken in the 1st rd started week 1 are you saying the guys in this draft could be ready for week 1 if one is taken with the 8th overall pick? I say no but if you think so that is your opinion. To big of a risk and could potentialy set this team back 4 more years and in 2017 the bills will be looking for a new coahc and a qb again with no playoffs in 17 years.

You mention character being importanting and wanting to get someone who has that itch and thats the guy you want. I agree on some of that but their mechanics and technique are big and your saying an issue was Russel Wilson but his knock was his height not his technique or mechanics. The problem with what you say is basically your describing Tim Tebow as your ideal candidate and as you can tell he is terrible but he has great character and is the 1st one in and the last one out and is willing to make changes but the fact is he cant because he just doesnt have it. I see that with almost every qb that is available. I just hope the bills dont reach for someone.

Thanks Max
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
I said that those guys had issues all season long, and the analysts have pointed them out. As I watched the game and the commentators pointed out that they were showing the same issues that they were doing all year long which to me is they either werent coached properly to show improvement or they just dont have what it takes. All 4 qbs taken in the 1st rd started week 1 are you saying the guys in this draft could be ready for week 1 if one is taken with the 8th overall pick? I say no but if you think so that is your opinion. To big of a risk and could potentialy set this team back 4 more years and in 2017 the bills will be looking for a new coahc and a qb again with no playoffs in 17 years.

You mention character being importanting and wanting to get someone who has that itch and thats the guy you want. I agree on some of that but their mechanics and technique are big and your saying an issue was Russel Wilson but his knock was his height not his technique or mechanics. The problem with what you say is basically your describing Tim Tebow as your ideal candidate and as you can tell he is terrible but he has great character and is the 1st one in and the last one out and is willing to make changes but the fact is he cant because he just doesnt have it. I see that with almost every qb that is available. I just hope the bills dont reach for someone.
I'm not describing Tebow because Tebow lacks arm talent. There are minimum talent levels you must meet in addition to the intangibles I was talking about. Smith, Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, Jones, Bray, Manuel, Nassib, and Dysert all have more arm talent than Tebow. If Tebow could throw the bask as well a those guys, I think he would have been able to play QB in the NFL. Of the guys I mentioned, the one who its most like Tebow in terms of intangibles of most likely to succeed IMO.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: