Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jarvis Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanitizer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Jarvis Jones Reply with quote

With all of the news of Jones slipping come draft day, what do you guys think about him at 11.

I think he's a great player, and is somewhat of a need position. Assuming Joekel and Fisher are gone, I wonder how concerning his spine issue is. He looks like a pro bowler if no issues arise, but with pick 11 is it worth the risk?

Can't remember where I saw it but a scout said DJ Fluker won't make it past pick 20, looks like OT will be a hot commodity come draft day ..
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has spinal stenosis of some form. Which ended McNeill's career. I say nay.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jarvis Jones Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
With all of the news of Jones slipping come draft day, what do you guys think about him at 11.

I think he's a great player, and is somewhat of a need position. Assuming Joekel and Fisher are gone, I wonder how concerning his spine issue is. He looks like a pro bowler if no issues arise, but with pick 11 is it worth the risk?

Can't remember where I saw it but a scout said DJ Fluker won't make it past pick 20, looks like OT will be a hot commodity come draft day ..

I wouldn't touch him until the 3rd round. You just can't build around players with health issues.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may get eaten alive for this, but I honestly don't see the special player that everyone is raving about when I actually watch him on tape. He looks smaller than his billed 6'3", 241 lbs. (I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see him measure 6'2" and around 230 at the combine; he might have bulked up some by that point, but he won't be near the 255-260 lbs you want your 3-4 OLB's to be and his frame doesn't look like it can take 25-30 pounds of bulk from where it looked as a collegian.)

He's a great coverage LB with above average instincts, but I don't see the great get-off that others rave about when I watch his game tape. His ability to anchor is really inconsistent and all across the board - I've seen him anchor against bigger, stronger players, but I've also seen him consistently and effectively handled by TE's in games.

He's got a lot to prove in terms of his explosiveness at the combine, because the tape really doesn't match with the hype. He's not really beating guys off the snap with athleticism. Some of that is assignment consciousness, but if you take a pass-rusher in the top 10 you want him to have that top-notch explosiveness to be able to beat guys with burst off the line. And if he does come in at only 240-ish pounds at the combine, but looks more filled out, then I've got some legitimate concerns about how effective his power moves are going to be at the next level - again, with a #11 overall selection, you want a guy who is well-rounded, not a one-trick pony.

Then throw in the spinal stenosis and I'm not sure I'd consider him a clear-cut BPA for us at #11 until some legitimate questions are answered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I may get eaten alive for this, but I honestly don't see the special player that everyone is raving about when I actually watch him on tape. He looks smaller than his billed 6'3", 241 lbs. (I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see him measure 6'2" and around 230 at the combine; he might have bulked up some by that point, but he won't be near the 255-260 lbs you want your 3-4 OLB's to be and his frame doesn't look like it can take 25-30 pounds of bulk from where it looked as a collegian.)

He's a great coverage LB with above average instincts, but I don't see the great get-off that others rave about when I watch his game tape. His ability to anchor is really inconsistent and all across the board - I've seen him anchor against bigger, stronger players, but I've also seen him consistently and effectively handled by TE's in games.

He's got a lot to prove in terms of his explosiveness at the combine, because the tape really doesn't match with the hype. He's not really beating guys off the snap with athleticism. Some of that is assignment consciousness, but if you take a pass-rusher in the top 10 you want him to have that top-notch explosiveness to be able to beat guys with burst off the line. And if he does come in at only 240-ish pounds at the combine, but looks more filled out, then I've got some legitimate concerns about how effective his power moves are going to be at the next level - again, with a #11 overall selection, you want a guy who is well-rounded, not a one-trick pony.

Then throw in the spinal stenosis and I'm not sure I'd consider him a clear-cut BPA for us at #11 until some legitimate questions are answered.

Honestly, I never saw an exceptional first step. It was decent, but with a guy like Nick Perry, Mingo, you see the fire off the line. Didn't exactly see that with Jones.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

I've always thought this too. It was either Dontazemebro or Jrry that kept trying to convince me otherwise. Everytime i watch his tape, i always expect him to come screaming off the edge in pass rush situations, and he doesn't. Honestly, at their best, his teammate Cornelius Washington CLEARLY has the better burst, and does so at 6'4" 265-270

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Xero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

I've always thought this too. It was either Dontazemebro or Jrry that kept trying to convince me otherwise. Everytime i watch his tape, i always expect him to come screaming off the edge in pass rush situations, and he doesn't. Honestly, at their best, his teammate Cornelius Washington CLEARLY has the better burst, and does so at 6'4" 265-270

Is Washington a OLB or Pure DE?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xero wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Yet to be seen how he performs in LB drills at the combine, but Georgia runs a 3-4 and I don't believe he was playing DE in their scheme. I don't remember exactly how much he was actually asked to drop into coverage, but if he's got the lateral agility and the hips, he can be taught to cover (not to mention what we could really use is a definitive WOLB who rarely ends up dropping often anyway - guys like Clay Matthews, Tamba Hali, and Aldon Smith are sent rushing the passer a solid 80+% of the time anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xero wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Can be either. He's one of those freakish types of athletes.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Xero wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Yet to be seen how he performs in LB drills at the combine, but Georgia runs a 3-4 and I don't believe he was playing DE in their scheme. I don't remember exactly how much he was actually asked to drop into coverage, but if he's got the lateral agility and the hips, he can be taught to cover (not to mention what we could really use is a definitive WOLB who rarely ends up dropping often anyway - guys like Clay Matthews, Tamba Hali, and Aldon Smith are sent rushing the passer a solid 80+% of the time anyway.

He has been playing half and half. Look up Jarvis Jones/Ogletree/Jenkins/Geathers videos to watch him, maybe even some Sanders comings/Rambo/Williams. There's times where he's unmatched off the ball, and theres times where he looks INCREDIBLY slow off the ball like he couldn't beat anyone.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: