Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelerfreak76's Steelers mock 3.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Steelerfreak76's Steelers mock 3.0 Reply with quote

This is the 3rd of 15 Steeler mocks. I will do one every Thursday leading up to the draft. So far I haven't picked the same player in any of the mocks. I did so because I feel the Steelers can go in many directions for the draft. As we get closer I will be able to better gauge whom the Steelers are likely to pick. These players and the ones in my previous mocks are just some of the players I like and feel could really help the Steelers going forward.

17. Manti Te'o, ILB (Notre Dame)
6'2" 255lbs. 4.75

Te'o is catching a lot of flack because of the whole fake girlfriend scandal. This could be a blessing in disguise for the Steelers. The Steelers could fill their biggest need in the first round with the best ILB in the draft.

48. Eric Reid, FS (LSU)
6'2" 212lbs. 4.59

There are rumors the Steelers will release Ryan Clark, making a big hole in the secondary. Reid would be a great replacement, the Steelers will probably bring in a veteran to give him some competition.

79. Jonathan Franklin, RB (UCLA)
5'10" 201lbs. 4.50

It seems that the coaches and front office aren't happy with the stable of RBs and we could see a huge overall in the backfield. Franklin isn't the best prospect, but with filling 2 big needs in the 1st and 2nd, the Steelers take the best RB available in the 3rd.

112. Zaviar Gooden, OLB (Missouri)
6'2" 233lbs. 4.49

IMO Harrison has played his final game in a Steelers uniform. Worilds will take over for Harrison and Gooden can be groomed along with Chris Carter behind Worilds and Woodley.

143. Ricky Wagner, OT (Wisconsin)
6'6" 310lbs. 5.32

I've also heard that the Steelers will probably let Starks and Foster walk and release Colon. Letting those 3 walk will force the Steelers to select some olinemen for backup purposes.

176. Denard Robinson, WR (Michigan)
5'11" 196lbs. 4.39

The Steelers like having players that are very versatile. Robinson was a quarterback and also played running back and wide receiver at Michigan. Robinson reminds me a lot of a faster Randle El

207. Travis Howard, CB (Ohio State)
6'0" 198lbs. 4.54

Howard gives the Steelers depth and insurance in case Keenan Lewis in free agency.

Last edited by steelerfreak76 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bad taste in my mouth for Teo'... just because of ALL this media coverage over the stupid dying girlfriend BS!!!

Worry what kind of circus he will bring with him.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pick I moderately like is Franklin. Just not a fan of the other players.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually might be one of the few that like Te'o at 17 if that's where we go (or Vaccaro).

I don't dislike Reid, though I think Rambo would be a better pick...heh Rambo a Steeler? <Enter Sylvester Stallone Jokes Here>

I don't hate Franklin as an option but I'm not sure I love it as a pick either.

if we're going to take an OLB, I'd rather it be someone who can beat out Worilds and Carter for playing time. (basing that off your assessment of him)

I don't dislike Wagner but I think if we're going to go depth on the OL, we need a Guard.

Denard Robinson..no thanks. As bad as we need a QB, I could see them trying to use him there..but even as a WR I think we need a big WR, ESPECIALLY if we lose Wallace.

In the 7th Round, I have no problem with a 6'0 nearly 200 lb Corner.
C$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about who I wan in the draft, but i know I DON'T want Te'o.
I dont have a problem with Reed but I think I would prefer Rambo from Georgia more.
Also, if we are going to draft a WR we need on who is not as raw as Robinson. I'm not against taking him but we would need a more polished WR who can step right away. Robinson is a big time project. We dont have the depth for just him

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ILB Te'o in the 1st. He's about the only guy I would stay at #17 for. I think all the girlfriend stuff is overblown, so what he got fooled hoping a gorgeous girl was for real. He's only 21 years old, people act like they were smarter than him at that age.

Love S Reid in the 2nd.

Not a fan of the small RB's this draft and I think taking Franklin in the 3rd is about a round too high.

Like LB Zaviar Gooden in the 4th but he's small and would be an ILB for us not the pass rushing OLB that we need to replace Harrison. He only had 4 sacks in four years and none in '12.

Love OT Ricky Wagner in the 5th but I think he goes higher than this.
Okay with the last two picks.
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the mock but have a questions, D. Robinson was known for his running ability at Michigan, so why on earth would you force the guy to play WR instead of RB? Hes nothing like Randle EL.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
Like the mock but have a questions, D. Robinson was known for his running ability at Michigan, so why on earth would you force the guy to play WR instead of RB? Hes nothing like Randle EL.

Because he is a stick and will break easily in the NFL if he gets in among the big boys on the line.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any draft with M. Teo I like because I believe he's the real deal.

I like E. Reid but the Steelers have a FS I believe they'll give a chance to in Golden. So maybe a SS type player would bode better

Anything after the second is a crap shoot, except the Steelers should take a WR, because they've had a lot of success doing that in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
Love ILB Te'o in the 1st. He's about the only guy I would stay at #17 for. I think all the girlfriend stuff is overblown, so what he got fooled hoping a gorgeous girl was for real. He's only 21 years old, people act like they were smarter than him at that age.

IMO it's got nothing to do with what he did at all. It has to do with how overblown the story got!!! Kinda like when Tebow stubbed his toe it was front page news. Now I am not saying the media will be all over Teo' like it was Tebow but it worries me a little how big this ridiculous story got.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
steelerfreak76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the whole Te'o thing being a big deal in Pittsburgh. It's not like Pittsburgh is a huge media market. Like any story it would be talked about for a few days, but after that it wouldn't be an issue. Putting someone with Te'o's skill set next to Timmons, would be scary for any offense.

Dernard Robinson will be a receiver in the NFL. Much like Randle El, Brad Smith, and Joshua Cribbs just to name a few. He didn't play WR in college, but I think he can transition to a receiver fairly easy. He would also add a lot with trick plays and some of the other new hot formations (wildcat or read option).

Also even if Wallace signs elsewhere, receiver isn't as big of a need as many would think. Sure Wallace would create a big hole on the Steelers depth chart. However I think with AB and Manny, along with Cotchery the Steelers have a respectable top 3. I also think they will bring in a veteran if Wallace leaves, maybe Burress or some other cost effective receiver to serve as the 4th or 5th receiver.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dernard Robinson has Philadelphia Eagles written all over him. I will not be surprised if Kelly grabs him in the 3rd.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
The only pick I moderately like is Franklin. Just not a fan of the other players.

Likewise, but interested in Howard in the 7th as a potential safety.

Love the card graphics though.

...you have a forum resume?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:

Love S Reid in the 2nd.

Not a fan of the small RB's this draft and I think taking Franklin in the 3rd is about a round too high.

Like LB Zaviar Gooden in the 4th but he's small and would be an ILB for us not the pass rushing OLB that we need to replace Harrison. He only had 4 sacks in four years and none in '12.

Love OT Ricky Wagner in the 5th but I think he goes higher than this.
Okay with the last two picks.

This is pretty much I feel as well.

I don't feel Franklin can be a starter. He's more of a change of pace back and if the Steelers go with a RB I rather have it be a workhorse type of guy. Robinson is okay for where he is picked but I like to see them get that taller, bigger WR than another guy with the same size as the other WRs on the team. Don't know too much about Gooden but he does seem like he is more of an ILB.

I like the first two picks and Wagner would be nice value if he is there in that round.

Always like your presentations.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
popie70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelerfreak76 wrote:
I don't see the whole Te'o thing being a big deal in Pittsburgh. It's not like Pittsburgh is a huge media market. Like any story it would be talked about for a few days, but after that it wouldn't be an issue. Putting someone with Te'o's skill set next to Timmons, would be scary for any offense.

Dernard Robinson will be a receiver in the NFL. Much like Randle El, Brad Smith, and Joshua Cribbs just to name a few. He didn't play WR in college, but I think he can transition to a receiver fairly easy. He would also add a lot with trick plays and some of the other new hot formations (wildcat or read option).

Also even if Wallace signs elsewhere, receiver isn't as big of a need as many would think. Sure Wallace would create a big hole on the Steelers depth chart. However I think with AB and Manny, along with Cotchery the Steelers have a respectable top 3. I also think they will bring in a veteran if Wallace leaves, maybe Burress or some other cost effective receiver to serve as the 4th or 5th receiver.

I'm not overly concerned with the media coverage. my worry would be how it would play in the locker room. Will it just be a joke for a few days? or will it be on ongoing thing where the rest of the team thinks less of him? As for the draft It's okay I like Swearinger. Love his potential as a guy who can cover slot guys. Franklin looks solid. I haven't heard much about Gooden but I saw a draft that had him going in the 1st round. What do you guys think about him?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: