Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My latest mock draft doesn’t bode well for Saints:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: My latest mock draft doesn’t bode well for Saints: Reply with quote

In my latest mock draft, like in all my mock drafts I tend to take each pick out of context that the next. I never just try to make players fit to make a mock seem accurate to appease all the teams. As I went through the top 14 picks, I quickly realized that this would be the Saints worst case scenario. Below is my top rated defenders when projecting them to the Saints and where I have them currently projected to go in the top round.

Demontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M (Projected: #5 Lions)
Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia (Projected: #6 Browns)
Star Lotulelei DT/DE Utah (Projected: #3 Raiders)
Dee Milliner CB Alabama (Projected: #4 Eagles)
Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon (Projected: #10 Titans)
Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB Louisiana State (Projected: #9 Jets)
Bjoern Werner DE/OLB Florida State (Projected: #2 Jaguars)
Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas (Projected: #13 Buccaneers)
Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Missouri (Projected: #14 Panthers)

So with the above players off the board… what’s left for the Saints defensively? To me the best of what’s left is for the Saints to consider at 15 are as follows…

Shariff Floyd DT/DE Florida
Jonathan Hankins DT/NT Ohio State
Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB BYU
Sam Montgomery DE/OLB Louisiana State
Alex Okafor DE/OLB Texas
Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi State
Marcus Trufant CB Washington
Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia
Alex Ogletree ILB Georgia
Manti Te’o ILB Notre Dame

Looking at this list, one would feel if the Saints made a selection at 15 in this scenario there would be a sense that the team just missed out on a difference maker. I can only assume that if this was to be the case, the club would strongly look to shop the 15th overall selection. I can’t imagine that the Saints couldn’t land a player (maybe one of these) of equal value later in the draft compared to what would be left on the board and the additional draft selections would absolutely come in handy in their efforts to begin to retool this roster into a 34 alignment.

So what do you think… is this the worst case scenario for the Saints?

If this was how the draft went down, would you hope the Saints took Ansah, Floyd or another on the list or would you hope the club would find a trade partner at the back half of the top round and made a deal?

PS: For all those coveting the top offensive tackles… I have Joeckel going #1 to the Chiefs, Fisher going #7 to the Cardinals & Johnson going #11 to the Chargers.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worst case scenario here. There will be one good defender at least available. Out of the players still available, I would be happy if we get either Ansah, Okafor, Desmond Trufant (not Marcus Wink ), Jenkins or Ogletree. When I see how deep this first round draft class is at defense, I would very like us to see trading down to the picks 20-25 and get another day two pick! So much talent in this draft...

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
No worst case scenario here. There will be one good defender at least available. Out of the players still available, I would be happy if we get either Ansah, Okafor, Desmond Trufant (not Marcus Wink ), Jenkins or Ogletree. When I see how deep this first round draft class is at defense, I would very like us to see trading down to the picks 20-25 and get another day two pick! So much talent in this draft...

Not a worst case IMO either. If a Dion Jordan type player is off the board by the time 15 rolls around. I'd roll the dice and go shopping (look to trade 15 for a 20-27 and possibly get a 2nd rounder or early 3rd out of the deal).

^NS922 on the sig^
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

Not a worst case IMO either. If a Dion Jordan type player is off the board by the time 15 rolls around. I'd roll the dice and go shopping (look to trade 15 for a 20-27 and possibly get a 2nd rounder or early 3rd out of the deal).

Agreed!

Even if they get an early 3rd out of the deal, it would easy the blow of the loss of our 2nd rounder

jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, you can throw Malcolm Jenkins' name in the mix for example.

Scenario: Looking at the teams that pick 20-32, there is IMO 2-3 teams that need a proven CB/FS. I'm suggesting you trade pick 15 and Malcolm Jenkins to say the Packers, Bears, or Vikings for their 1st and 2nd rounder or at least 1st and 3rd.

Thoughts?

^NS922 on the sig^
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:

Scenario: Looking at the teams that pick 20-32, there is IMO 2-3 teams that need a proven CB/FS. I'm suggesting you trade pick 15 and Malcolm Jenkins to say the Packers, Bears, or Vikings for their 1st and 2nd rounder or at least 1st and 3rd.

Thoughts?
i would do, than pick someone like the fresno State Kid and give IAQ more playing time.
I would even consider trading our First rounder to a Team in need of a qb for an early Second rounder and a future first rounder!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:

Thoughts?

Honestly... I actually believe Jenkins would still have good value around the NFL. WHat if we could actually use Jenkins and the 15th pick to move UP a few spots if the player that we really want is there.

Take like the Jets... Say Ryan feels Jenkins would excel in his scheme and the Saints trade the 15th and Jenkins for the 9th pick.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:

Thoughts?
i would do, than pick someone like the fresno State Kid and give IAQ more playing time.
I would even consider trading our First rounder to a Team in need of a qb for an early Second rounder and a future first rounder!

This is what I am about. I want to get into the top five NEXT season. Why...the guy that would have been the top NT THIS season if he would have declared. Louis Nix III. He is the monster that you build your defense around. If we can find a way to get an early 2nd and a first NEXT season from a team like the Jaguars. Sold.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were the case, I'd trade down to about 25-ish and pick up a 2nd rounder. Trufant is considered by most Team's to be the #3 corner behind Rhodes and Millner. I consider him the #1 however. He is a great kid, he's worth a Top 10 pick even IMO but he should still be there at 25-ish. Millner & Rhodes don't stand out IMO, Trufant does. But, I still say D. Jordan at 15, SS in 2nd round (if we trade up) someone like Reid or Elam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: