Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My second off season posting

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 6927
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: My second off season posting Reply with quote

Did one a while back.
Cap money as of now. 48.9 million.

Our players kept.
Phil Dawson k 3 yrs. 11 mill. cap hit 3.7 mill cap left 45.2 mill.
Ben Watson 1 yr. 3.5 mill cap left 41.7 mill.

other free agents
Alex Smith q.b. 3 yrs. 27 mill. cap hit 9 mill. cap left 36.2 mill.
Paul Krueger o.l.b. 5 yrs. 35 mill. cap hit 7 mill. cap left 29.2 mill.
Brian Hartline w.r. 4 yrs. 22 mill. cap hit 5.5 mill. cap left 23.7 mill.

Extensions
Alex Mack c 5 yrs 37.5 mill. cap hit 4.5 mill. cap left 19.7 mill.
T.J. Ward 4 yrs. 24 mill. cap hit 5 mill. cap left 14.7 mill.
rookie money 4.5 mill. cap left 9.7 mill.

We may sign a couple cheap back ups but not ready to say who.

Draft

With Eric Fisher still there at pick 6 I see Ariz. picking 7th, San Diego picking 11th and Miami picking 12th wanting him. [Jake Long leaves]. With two second rounders Miami trades up to protect their young q.b. Tannehill. We get picks 12 and 42

RD. 1. pick 12 Kenny Vaccaro safety Texas Rising on draft boards. Good tackler and good in coverage. More I read on him the more I like him.

Rd. 2 Marcus Trufant c.b. Wash. This was between him and Logan Ryan c.b. Rutgers. I went with Trufant because he is fiesty.He will do well opposite Haden and could very well become a team leader. Good in pass coverage.

RD. 3 Brian Winters o.g. Kent st. Needs to get a little stronger but he will. I see him as a left guard starting right away. Lauvao,Greco and possibly Pinkston fight for the right guard spot. Winters should be a nice pulling guard. He may actually get reps at left tackle to be big Joes back up. He was in my first draft. I bumped him up a round. Guess you could call him my sleeper although teams are now finding him.

RD. 4 Travis Kelce t.e. cin. Should become a decent player. I kept Watson another year to smooth his and Cameron's transition to more playing time.

RD. 5 Travis Long o.l.b. Wash. st. We need depth at o.l.b.

RD. 6 from Eagles I read where we get their 6th round pick and they get our 7th rounder in the Sims safety trade.
Reid Fragel o.t. O.S.U. we need depth at o.t. Can play both tackle spots.

RD. 6 Terry Hawthorne c.b. To good of value to pass up here. You can never have to many corners.

RD. 7 comp. pick Tommy Bohanon f.b. Wake Forest.

U.D.F.A'S

Ryan Allen p
Jackson Rice p
Malcolm Benson safety
Marquis Jackson o.l.b.
Lonnie Pryor f.b.
Braden Hansen o.g.
Travis Johnson o.l.b.
Tanner Hawkinson o.t.
Damien Square def. end
Sheldon Price c.b.

Will most likely add more u.d.f. a's

A player to think about in 2014 draft.
Austin Seferian Jenkins t.e. Wash. St. A complete tight end and Chud and Norv love their tight ends. Would take Watson's spot. Also q.b. and m.l.b. could be looked at in the top 3 rounds.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some different names than most but nothing crazy...

Offensively Im underwhelmed. That is starting money for Smith, and effectively eliminates Weeden. Watson is simply too old for me, and his production is very little. Hartline, for what ever reason I simply dont like. I expect Mack if extended to make 8+ mil/year, just under the highest paid center. Winters I will take your word on, and I really like Kelce. (does he last till the 4th? I hope so.)

However, I think nearly any offseason that seriously addresses OLB, FS, CB could be a winner.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 6927
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
some different names than most but nothing crazy...

Offensively Im underwhelmed. That is starting money for Smith, and effectively eliminates Weeden. Watson is simply too old for me, and his production is very little. Hartline, for what ever reason I simply dont like. I expect Mack if extended to make 8+ mil/year, just under the highest paid center. Winters I will take your word on, and I really like Kelce. (does he last till the 4th? I hope so.)

However, I think nearly any offseason that seriously addresses OLB, FS, CB could be a winner.


Well I gave Mack 7.5 million so I am in the ball park. Rumors are Brown's are interested in Smith and he in them. It may or may not happen. Put Smith in here because of that. Watson I kept because of veteran presence and it is only one year.
I tried to be close on players salaries. I just didn't put signings in without trying to be in the ball park on their salaries. 48.9 million in cap money gets spent pretty fast when you think about it.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
some different names than most but nothing crazy...

Offensively Im underwhelmed. That is starting money for Smith, and effectively eliminates Weeden. Watson is simply too old for me, and his production is very little. Hartline, for what ever reason I simply dont like. I expect Mack if extended to make 8+ mil/year, just under the highest paid center. Winters I will take your word on, and I really like Kelce. (does he last till the 4th? I hope so.)

However, I think nearly any offseason that seriously addresses OLB, FS, CB could be a winner.


Well I gave Mack 7.5 million so I am in the ball park. Rumors are Brown's are interested in Smith and he in them. It may or may not happen. Put Smith in here because of that. Watson I kept because of veteran presence and it is only one year.
I tried to be close on players salaries. I just didn't put signings in without trying to be in the ball park on their salaries. 48.9 million in cap money gets spent pretty fast when you think about it.


apparently math is not my strong point this morning... must need more coffee. lol

I like Smith, but I worry about dropping a large contract and making him the defacto starter... that was part of the issue with Weeden - he got handed the starter position basically without ever throwing a ball in a browns uniform. If Smtih comes in and shows the coaches that he is better than Weeden then I have NO problem.


and yes - its interesting how quickly that money goes.. I found the same thing when I did mine.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: My second off season posting Reply with quote

extending Ward I feel is a very good choice given Horton's reported style of play.

I love Kruger. Trufant I really like and Vaccaro fills the FS need (havent watched him enough to say more). Filling those three spots should make a huge difference on this team!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16077
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith could get that same contract in Arizona, and not have to compete for the starting role. And have Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. Personally, I have a hard time seeing him decide to come to Cleveland. I think his interest is merely financial - as in he will use it to maximize his contract in Arizona.

My fear is that we will use a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick to trade for Ryan Mallett. There has been fire behind every smoky rumor surrounding the Browns this past year, and I think Mallett is the next in line for rumors becoming true. I like the kid about as much as I like a sinus infection, but you know the arm is something the staff will drool over.

I like your other signings and extensions. Very realistic given Haslam's recent statements about not making huge splash signings. I'd just like to see that Alex Smith money go towards a starting CB, and not have to shoehorn a 2nd round pick into a starting role immediately.

The draft is well thought out and realistic.

Vacarro would be a great pick to solidify the defensive backfield, and give Ward more opportunities to attack the LOS. Fits in well with Horton's DB profile as well.

Trufant is a decent pick, but I'd rather we do whatever it takes to land Xavier Rhodes. I feel like he's the best CB in the draft, but will slide somewhat due to lack of college production. I'd be more comfortable with Rhodes starting immediately than Trufant.

Winters is a great pick. Starting LG for the next 10 years in the 3rd round? Sign me up.

Kelce is another great pick, but I think he'll go earlier than top of the 4th. Ryan Otten, Phil Lutzenkirchen or Brandon Ford might be here, as well as the apple of this forum's eye - Michael Williams. I feel as though any TE pick that Chud signs off on will do well here.

Long is a great choice to backup Kruger. Could eventually start, but immediately provides depth where it is most needed.

I like Fragel a lot, and he would be an excellent depth pick.

Hawthorne may go earlier than the 6th, but if he's there at that point you pretty much have to take him. I think he might ultimately go sometime in day 2 though.

Bohanon is a pick that I wholeheartedly endorse, as he is a FB whose name I have not seen mentioned on this board yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 6927
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Smith could get that same contract in Arizona, and not have to compete for the starting role. And have Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. Personally, I have a hard time seeing him decide to come to Cleveland. I think his interest is merely financial - as in he will use it to maximize his contract in Arizona.

My fear is that we will use a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick to trade for Ryan Mallett. There has been fire behind every smoky rumor surrounding the Browns this past year, and I think Mallett is the next in line for rumors becoming true. I like the kid about as much as I like a sinus infection, but you know the arm is something the staff will drool over.

I like your other signings and extensions. Very realistic given Haslam's recent statements about not making huge splash signings. I'd just like to see that Alex Smith money go towards a starting CB, and not have to shoehorn a 2nd round pick into a starting role immediately.

The draft is well thought out and realistic.

Vacarro would be a great pick to solidify the defensive backfield, and give Ward more opportunities to attack the LOS. Fits in well with Horton's DB profile as well.

Trufant is a decent pick, but I'd rather we do whatever it takes to land Xavier Rhodes. I feel like he's the best CB in the draft, but will slide somewhat due to lack of college production. I'd be more comfortable with Rhodes starting immediately than Trufant.

Winters is a great pick. Starting LG for the next 10 years in the 3rd round? Sign me up.

Kelce is another great pick, but I think he'll go earlier than top of the 4th. Ryan Otten, Phil Lutzenkirchen or Brandon Ford might be here, as well as the apple of this forum's eye - Michael Williams. I feel as though any TE pick that Chud signs off on will do well here.

Long is a great choice to backup Kruger. Could eventually start, but immediately provides depth where it is most needed.

I like Fragel a lot, and he would be an excellent depth pick.

Hawthorne may go earlier than the 6th, but if he's there at that point you pretty much have to take him. I think he might ultimately go sometime in day 2 though.

Bohanon is a pick that I wholeheartedly endorse, as he is a FB whose name I have not seen mentioned on this board yet.


Personnally with the q.b. crop in free agency and the draft I feel we should go with Weeden this year and see how it works out. However Haslim said we will bring in competition. Don't know who that will be. That is why I put Smith here. Could be someone else. As I stated in my q.b. post I'd rather fill our other needs this year than do what it takes to get a q.b. next year if Weeden bombs. I have not abandoned Weeden yet. If we didn't sign Smith and used free agency to get a starting corner than I'd probably use the second rounder on a wide receiver and not sign Hartline. I'd still draft a corner later like Hawthorne.

I like Rhodes a lot also. Probably would have to trade up for him. Trufant is a guy I never really liked until lately but has grown on me.

Winters the more I read on him the more I like. The last report I read on him says he plays with a nasty demeaner. We need that. Being from Kent State is a bonus. The guy can block in space which I feel is important especially in a left guard. Plus I don't want to spend big money on a guard in free agency. Rather spend the money on a more important position like corner or o.l.b. in a 3/4 defense.

Kelce has a chance to be there but like you said there are other tight ends if he isn't.

The rest I agree with you whole heartedly.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ditchdigger


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 16077
Location: Gahanna, OH
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I have abandoned with Weeden is the idea that he can be effective in a WCO. I stated sometime during the season that our offensive personnel currently under contract would be much better suited for an Air Coryell type offense that San Diego runs.

Lo and behold, that's what we've got now, and I think Weeden can be much more successful in that offense. At the very least, it will eliminate about 50% or more of the batted balls from the slow-developing shallow crossing routes that Shurmur loved.

I am bullish on Weeden in 2013, and feel he has more natural throwing talent than anyone who has been mentioned as possible competition for him with the lone exception of Ryan Mallett. I think they are very similar, and from what I've read about Lombardi's crush on Mallett, I think that's the direction they'll go.

It may cost draft picks to get him here (a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick would be in line with the reported asking price of a 2013 2nd round pick), but it would leave us a lot more flexibility under the cap than signing Alex Smith to a $9M/year deal. Ultimately, I feel that's the direction they'll go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarkPrice25


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 983
Location: Bowling Green, OH
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
The only thing I have abandoned with Weeden is the idea that he can be effective in a WCO. I stated sometime during the season that our offensive personnel currently under contract would be much better suited for an Air Coryell type offense that San Diego runs.

Lo and behold, that's what we've got now, and I think Weeden can be much more successful in that offense. At the very least, it will eliminate about 50% or more of the batted balls from the slow-developing shallow crossing routes that Shurmur loved.

I am bullish on Weeden in 2013, and feel he has more natural throwing talent than anyone who has been mentioned as possible competition for him with the lone exception of Ryan Mallett. I think they are very similar, and from what I've read about Lombardi's crush on Mallett, I think that's the direction they'll go.

It may cost draft picks to get him here (a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick would be in line with the reported asking price of a 2013 2nd round pick), but it would leave us a lot more flexibility under the cap than signing Alex Smith to a $9M/year deal. Ultimately, I feel that's the direction they'll go.


As an aside, I love using crossing routes in Madden and NCAA Football.

I'm fine with running with Weeden for another year (since there are no strong QB candidates in the draft) but I definitely think we need a QB before we can realistically compete.
_________________

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bruceb


Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Posts: 6725
Location: Rocky River, OH
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkPrice25 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
The only thing I have abandoned with Weeden is the idea that he can be effective in a WCO. I stated sometime during the season that our offensive personnel currently under contract would be much better suited for an Air Coryell type offense that San Diego runs.

Lo and behold, that's what we've got now, and I think Weeden can be much more successful in that offense. At the very least, it will eliminate about 50% or more of the batted balls from the slow-developing shallow crossing routes that Shurmur loved.

I am bullish on Weeden in 2013, and feel he has more natural throwing talent than anyone who has been mentioned as possible competition for him with the lone exception of Ryan Mallett. I think they are very similar, and from what I've read about Lombardi's crush on Mallett, I think that's the direction they'll go.

It may cost draft picks to get him here (a 3rd and a conditional 2014 pick would be in line with the reported asking price of a 2013 2nd round pick), but it would leave us a lot more flexibility under the cap than signing Alex Smith to a $9M/year deal. Ultimately, I feel that's the direction they'll go.


As an aside, I love using crossing routes in Madden and NCAA Football.

I'm fine with running with Weeden for another year (since there are no strong QB candidates in the draft) but I definitely think we need a QB before we can realistically compete.


Based on everything I have read about Turner and Chud, they are willing to adapt to the players' talents.

There will be another QB in the mix, and a real competition.

Weeden is not anointed this time, and I expect that he will lose in a real competition.
_________________
Everything happens exactly the way it is supposed to happen...otherwise, it would happen some other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mastercheddaar


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 4920
Location: Northeast Ohio.. Obviously
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: gmmm Reply with quote

I like it

That is all

Mastercheddaar
_________________
For those that don't know:
NFL - AFC Browns, NFC Eagles
Basket Ball - Cavs
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group