Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens have 3 matchups they should exploit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:

So, how are you and other Ravens fans feeling about the matchup in general? Confident? Nervous? Unsure?

Pretty confident. They have a terrific defense... Jim will have those boys ready. But I think we matchup well with Crabtree. We play a similar kind of WR every day in practice with Anquan Boldin. Only Boldin is more physical. Basically defending Crabtree is about YAC. Rarely does our defense give up much of that. I'm most concerned about Vernon Davis as we've struggled leaving TEs open via Pees scheme when he likes to get aggressive up front. I think when Davis is on and motivated fully... He's the best TE in the game. Truly unbelievable athleticism.

I'm also concerned about CK. he's going to be difficult to stop. His legs is a dimension we haven't necessarily gotten a chance to face much. However Courtney Upshaw is a Doberman. He'll be getting his first extended time out there with the 49ers being so run oriented. I like Upshaw and Suggs and their ability to hold the edge and keep proper contain.

Gore worries me some. He's a patient runner who runs physically, but at the same time he doesn't have the quickness of an Arian Foster to exploit the cutback lanes consistently. So if Ngata dominates inside like I think he will I think we can contain Gore and force CK to have to beat us with his legs. Eventually with enough hits on him, he'll think twice about tucking and running knowing Lewis and Pollard are going to be on the other end of those hits.

Against their defense. I don't expect Justin Smith to be 100%... And I think that limits their front 7 some. Aldon Smith is good but you can run on him. And McKinnie has been motivated lately, when he's motivated, he's tough to beat. Smith may win some battles, but I like our chances there. I love our guards vs the run. Don't care what front 7 they face they're nasty. Leach is a torpedo. So I like our ability to establish a running game. And if he pass protection is there, I love Flacco's ability to thread the needle. I'm not overconfident, I never am. But I'm pretty confident in how we matchup. I think all things considered we match up a little better with them then they do against us.

I mean yet to be discussed is special teams. They've had one of the worst coverage units this season. Obviously with higher stakes things could change. And Jacoby has been carry the ball pretty loosely lately.. And that concerns me. But overall we seem to have the more impactful special teams unit on paper. So if our special teams balls out... I really like our chances.

And lastly, it's not a matchup thing, but I also feel like we have more players who want this more. They have more young players experiencing all this for the first time. Their leaders, outside of Smith tend to be young. Our leaders are mostly entering the twilight of their careers. We have former Super Bowl winners, former Super Bowl losers, aged veterans who are on the verge of retirement now or in just a couple seasons. Obviously all the players on both sides want it. But I do feel we have just a little more that our players are playing for. When things get tough out there. We're not just fighting for a Super Bowl. We have guys fighting for their legacies, their teammates legacies. The theme that our guys are using to unify them is that this is their last ride. Boldin mentioned that he's approaching this as if this is his last shot at a Super Bowl. Jacoby Jones will never be able to play another Super Bowl in his hometown most likely. This is Ray Lewis' last game. I can't help but feel like we're struggle for the win just a little more. It may not matter, but even down I can't see this team packing it in, whereas some teams might.

All in all I'm confident that our team should be the more focused team. The only player I worry about is Ray Rice fumbling and Jacoby Jones. Both have proven to handle the big stages in some shaky manners every now and again. I hope neither tries to press the issue and just play their games, but I'm not sure. But we'll see. They could go either way and be just as likely to dominate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting all year for Ed Dickson to be incorporated into the gameplan. Two Te sets would force Ahmad Brooks & Patrick Willis to drop into space. Finding a way to get Torrey Smith opportunities requires controlling the middle of the field with the Tight Ends.

Boldin won't be an asset unfortunately & Tandon Doss' spot on the roster will be questioned after the game. Jacoby made a tremendous play in Denver but is inconsistent. Disappears at times. Only real threat against strong coverage unit is Torrey Smith. Only guy that consistently beats man coverage.

Bernard Piere I personally think has fresh legs and needs 10-15 carries.

On Defense. Defending the Read Option is going to require player keys & being disciplined. That's been the story of the D through the stretch run. It's going to require Haloti & Maake to hold up at the point of attack. And it might require Cody to be a contributor.

Ed Reed is bound to make a play after a quiet playoffs. Could be the momentum turner.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Ed Dickson... he's been given so many chances to produce for us and repeatedly drops the ball.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
Not a fan of Ed Dickson... he's been given so many chances to produce for us and repeatedly drops the ball.

Yea, he's definitely not my favorite in terms of production (I like him on a personal level - as much as one can without actually being acquainted with a player - I just like him). I wouldn't mind seeing us try to extend Pitta and let Dickson walk after next season, his RFA season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: