Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KC Free Agent Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: KC Free Agent Discussion Reply with quote

May be this is worth a thread of its own.

With three (Albert, Bowe, Jackson, NOT: Dorsey) big re-signings/re-structurings on the horizon - let's have a look around the league for similar guys:

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports free agent LT Jake Long is believed to be seeking at least $10 million annually, and that the Dolphins are "pessimistic" about their chances of re-signing him.
$10 million is hardly prohibitive for a top-flight left tackle, but Long has been anything but that the past two seasons. However, he'll still only be 28 in 2013, and there should be no shortage of teams willing to gamble on a return to form if he reaches the open market. The Dolphins are reportedly unwilling to offer Long more than $6-$7 million per season. There's a long time between now and free agency, but Long is looking less and less likely to remain in Miami with each passing day.

Ok, that's supposed to be Jake Long's asking price. He's been a big name but a less than impressive player for a while. Albert is just the other way round. Wonder what his asking price will be. Would be surprised if he enters negotiations below 8 M$ a year.
odendin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking to replace Albert because there's only 1-2 I'd consider and I'm sure they're gonna be resigned: Beatty and Clady.

So I'm thinking I'd resign Albert and be happy with the Albert, Hudson, Asamoah, Winston on the line.

The one free agent I would consider to start would be Donald Thomas from New England and I'd slide him in at the LG spot. With over 600 snaps he's graded positive with pass and run protection and seventh best LG on the year. (profootballfocus)

Offensive line - complete. Fingers crossed on Hudson's health.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer going after another Miami pending FA, Randy Starks.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
odendin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

A real, big bodied NT - I'm down.

For defensive line, there's the one DT I boosted a few years ago, Sammie Lee Hill. Slide him in at DE in Tyson's spot. Good vs the run and he's gotten better with his pass rush.

Both Thomas and Hill both are stuck behind marque players (NEs offensive line, DETs defensive tackles).

I think there could be value there.
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CB Sam Shields from GB is a real possibility. He woul be an excellent signing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:
I think CB Sam Shields from GB is a real possibility. He woul be an excellent signing.

He's a RFA - unlikely he hits the open market
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odendin wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

A real, big bodied NT - I'm down.

For defensive line, there's the one DT I boosted a few years ago, Sammie Lee Hill. Slide him in at DE in Tyson's spot. Good vs the run and he's gotten better with his pass rush.

Both Thomas and Hill both are stuck behind marque players (NEs offensive line, DETs defensive tackles).

I think there could be value there.

I actually see Randy Starks as a 3-4 DE for us. He has experience playing the position for the Dolphins when they were running the 3-4. He played 4-3 DT for the Dolphins this year next to Paul Soliai.

Another potential FA I like is Terrance Knighton from Jacksonville. He has played 4-3 DT, but I think he could potentially fill a Ryan Pickett-type of role while Dontari Poe plays a B.J. Raji-type of role.

IMO all three (Starks, Knighton, and Poe) also project well to playing in a 4-3 front subpackage. Starks and Knighton have experience while I think Poe could play just as well in that defensive front.

In my mock offseason I projected Houston defensive end Antonio Smith being cut. He could remain with the team and might be extended, but I think there is a chance (probably slim) that he is cut...maybe more wishful thinking on my end. If he hits the market he would be one of my top FA targets. He would add a pass rush pedigree on our frontline and also is known as a team leader.

Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in the big CB from Miami.

So are people not interested in Seymour, or just assuming his return to NE is already certain?

When I envision Seymour with Ropo behind him to keep him fresh, I get pretty dang excited. He was still playing at a high level before injury last year with Oakland.

Abraham is used in rotation pretty well in Atlanta to stay fresh. He did get injured this year but it's worked for him down there the past few years. I would love a similar situation with Seymour!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
I'm more interested in the big CB from Miami.

So are people not interested in Seymour, or just assuming his return to NE is already certain?

When I envision Seymour with Ropo behind him to keep him fresh, I get pretty dang excited. He was still playing at a high level before injury last year with Oakland.

Abraham is used in rotation pretty well in Atlanta to stay fresh. He did get injured this year but it's worked for him down there the past few years. I would love a similar situation with Seymour!

I could see Sean Smith being a priority for the Dolphins to re-sign. It all depends on what he is looking for long term $$$ wise and what they do with Randy Starks. They have plenty of cap space to re-sign a couple of key pieces and even dabble in free agency themselves if they want to. I can see Smith and Starks being priorities for the Dolphins. I wouldn't be shocked to see either one franchised and a big push to re-sign long-term the other.

Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love Miami's CB Sean Smith too. But I'm afraid when they traded Vontae Davis, the message sent was that they think Smith's a franchise-type of player.

Anyone know if he's UFA or RFA?

`
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring of Fame wrote:
Yeah, I love Miami's CB Sean Smith too. But I'm afraid when they traded Vontae Davis, the message sent was that they think Smith's a franchise-type of player.

`

UFA.

Think 6-7 M$/year minimum on a 5-6 year contract.

Last edited by KC_Guy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Ring of Fame wrote:

`

UFA.

Think 7 M$/year minimum on a 5-6 year contract.

This is actually a very realistic possibility if they let him test the market. We all know Reid will heavily pursue db's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs unrestricted free agents

Dwayne Bowe
Branden Albert
Dustin Colquitt
Glenn Dorsey
Brady Quinn
Peyton Hillis
Travis Daniels
Abe Elam
Thomas Gafford
Russ Hochstein
Edgar Jones
Jake O'Connell
Martin Rucker
Brandon Siler
Shaun Smith
Leon Williams
Ryan Lilja
Ropati Pitoitua
Chiefs restricted free agents

Kyle McCarthy
Chiefs exclusive rights free agents

Steve Maneri
Bryan Mattison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina cornerback Chris Gamble is currently under contract through the 2014 season, but I have seen some discussions in the Panthers forum that he might be a candidate for either a restructure or even being released, largely based on some salary cap concerns, see here :

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=509619

Here is his current remaining contract numbers :

2013 Base salary of $7,950,000
2013 Prorated signing bonus of $1,000,000
2013 Misc. bonus of $2,000,000
2013 Total cap charge of $10,950,000

2014 Base salary of $8,850,000
(no prorated signing bonus or misc. bonus noted)

Gamble (age 29) is a bigger cornerback at 6'-1", 205 lbs. and while he isn't at the level he was several years ago, he still projects as a solid starting cornerback and I wouldn't be surprised if he settles into a Charles Tillman-type of savvy veteran. If choosing between Gamble and someone like Quentin Jammer, I would definitely go with Gamble.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go along with my Chris Gamble post, Jon Beason is another name to atleast keep in mind as a potential cut this offseason. He might be a strong candidate for a restructure, but if that is done, the Panthers will likely need to push alot of money into future years. Of course there are some injury concerns regarding Beason, but if does hit the FA market and checks out medically he could be worth taking a serious look at to man the inside spot next to Derrick Johnson.

2013 Base salary is $5,250,000, prorated signing bonus is $4,000,000, misc. bonus of $250,000 for a total cap charge of $9,500,000.

2014 Base salary is $6,500,000, prorated signing bonus is $4,000,000, misc. bonus of $250,000 for a total cap charge of $10,750,000.

2015 Base salary is $7,500,000, prorated signing bonus is $4,000,000, misc. bonus of $250,000 for a total cap charge of $11,750,000.

2016 Base salary is $8,750,000, misc. bonus of $250,000 for a total cap charge of $9,000,000.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: