Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurplePeterson wrote:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8881968/new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-reaches-star-cornerback-darrelle-revis

He's believed to be seeking at least $16 million per year, with $60 million in guarantees

So do you all still want him?

IMO, only QBs should get that type of money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want anyone that is a client of Joel Segal.
PurplePeterson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
PurplePeterson wrote:
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8881968/new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-reaches-star-cornerback-darrelle-revis

He's believed to be seeking at least $16 million per year, with $60 million in guarantees

So do you all still want him?

IMO, only QBs should get that type of money.

Wide receivers and running backs also
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet, he doesn't play any of those positions.

Listen, I love Revis, I loved him since his days at Pitt, but we can't trade for him. It would ultimately set this team back for years.

We are not just one piece away from making a superbowl run. We have a playoff caliber team here, but he isn't the final piece(s).

(allthough, anything could happen Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in Revis at his salary and the necessary compensation. CB is one of the least valuable positions in a typical Tampa 2 defense.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would have to change the defense to a man coverage based defense for Revis to work here. With that being said, we could play defense like Seattle where we let the CB's do their job and can increase the amount of pass rushers we send on a blitz. It's an intriguing player for this team but the amount of formations and coverages that would have to change for Revis specifically probably are going to prevent anything from happening.

We are a rebuilding team as well (at least I think so). So adding a star caliber player at one position for mortgaging the future is not exactly a smart decision.
french t0ast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say corners aren't very valuable on this team, but does anyone remember the last game of the season against the Packers what Rodgers did to us after Winfield left at halftime??
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

french t0ast wrote:
People say corners aren't very valuable on this team, but does anyone remember the last game of the season against the Packers what Rodgers did to us after Winfield left at halftime??

Competent CBs are good for any defense, but you dont need to spend early resources to find a competent CB.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not at $16MM per year, no.

but, do you want to trade 1 year of Harvin for Revis, or for a 2nd round pick? That's a harder question, if you think Allen, Winfield, Kwill, and Peterson are a core that can win in the next year or two...
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

french t0ast wrote:

I think not valuable is the wrong term to use here. They are valuable, of course. But the majority of your elite corners like Revis are a poor fit because of the zone scheme. Winfield was never an elite corner like a Revis or Bailey. Revis' elite skills would be underutilized in this scheme.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather sign two very good corners than spend all that money on one great corner.

With the way the NFL is going more towards spread formations you need 3-4 good corners to have a great defense. You can't get away with only having 1 shutdown guy anymore.

However, I also don't buy that Revis wouldn't be a good fit here. We run more man coverage than most people think. There were games this year where we ran 90%+ man coverage. There was one game where we ran man on every single play.

Great players are great players in any scheme, and Revis would instantly make any team better, but I don't think the price tag is worth it considering the current state of the team.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
First, what was Revis' injury last year and how's his recovery going?

No doubt he's a great player, but I don't think he's superior to every other guy on the field. That said, does talent make a team better? Of course it can.

What was Revis, a rookie/2nd year guy, when he was facing Randy Moss in that record setting year? He does play pretty well, and I could care less if you put him in man to man or Cover 2 or any other scheme. It's his job to learn the position and the opponent, no matter the overall scheme. Most importantly, each player has to play within his limits according to the scheme.

It's the coaches job to explain when, where and control.

Would he fit in the secondary with the current crop of guys? Probably, but I suspect the Vikes would explore trading Chris Cook, Jefferson or Robert Blanton in addition to a draft pick (4th or 5th Rd) instead of one of the other studs on the team.

If I were Rex Ryan . . . I'd demand Everson Griffen and Jefferson for Revis, plus a 5th Rd pick. And if I were Frazier, I'd offer no more than Chris Cook and a 4th.

He tore his ACL and his recovery is going great, hes doing workouts already. He has a great work ethic and I have no doubt that he will return to full strength, he had the injury early in the season so he should be good before the season.

There is no doubt that Revis is the best CB in the game, he has been for years now. And those that think all he can do is play man, they are wrong because he plays zone great as well.

Revis was great as a rookie and 2nd year player, he didn't face Moss during that one game where Moss had a huge game vs us in week 2 2007/

The Vikings pass defense is garbage, I think it would be a wise move for them to go after Revis who would instantly improve it if they were smart and matched him up vs #1 WRs and shift coverage towards others. The NFC North has some good passing games as well.

Revis doesn't make much money in 2013, he does need a new contract though and will want to be the highest paid CB. Some speculate that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player, though that is all speculation and nothing has been said by Revis' people with that yet.

That trade for Revis that you suggested, both would be dumb for the Jets. According to the reports which has quoted GMs, Revis will be in high demand and can fetch a lot. Maybe even 2 first rounders, hes a rare commodity and something teams would love to have in todays NFL where teams are all about passing.

The Vikings have a nice piece to offer though, the Jets wanted to draft Percy Harvin in 2009, they need offensive skill players.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
ArcticNorseman wrote:
First, what was Revis' injury last year and how's his recovery going?

No doubt he's a great player, but I don't think he's superior to every other guy on the field. That said, does talent make a team better? Of course it can.

What was Revis, a rookie/2nd year guy, when he was facing Randy Moss in that record setting year? He does play pretty well, and I could care less if you put him in man to man or Cover 2 or any other scheme. It's his job to learn the position and the opponent, no matter the overall scheme. Most importantly, each player has to play within his limits according to the scheme.

It's the coaches job to explain when, where and control.

Would he fit in the secondary with the current crop of guys? Probably, but I suspect the Vikes would explore trading Chris Cook, Jefferson or Robert Blanton in addition to a draft pick (4th or 5th Rd) instead of one of the other studs on the team.

If I were Rex Ryan . . . I'd demand Everson Griffen and Jefferson for Revis, plus a 5th Rd pick. And if I were Frazier, I'd offer no more than Chris Cook and a 4th.

He tore his ACL and his recovery is going great, hes doing workouts already. He has a great work ethic and I have no doubt that he will return to full strength, he had the injury early in the season so he should be good before the season.

There is no doubt that Revis is the best CB in the game, he has been for years now. And those that think all he can do is play man, they are wrong because he plays zone great as well.

Revis was great as a rookie and 2nd year player, he didn't face Moss during that one game where Moss had a huge game vs us in week 2 2007/

The Vikings pass defense is garbage, I think it would be a wise move for them to go after Revis who would instantly improve it if they were smart and matched him up vs #1 WRs and shift coverage towards others. The NFC North has some good passing games as well.

Revis doesn't make much money in 2013, he does need a new contract though and will want to be the highest paid CB. Some speculate that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player, though that is all speculation and nothing has been said by Revis' people with that yet.

That trade for Revis that you suggested, both would be dumb for the Jets. According to the reports which has quoted GMs, Revis will be in high demand and can fetch a lot. Maybe even 2 first rounders, hes a rare commodity and something teams would love to have in todays NFL where teams are all about passing.

The Vikings have a nice piece to offer though, the Jets wanted to draft Percy Harvin in 2009, they need offensive skill players.

I wouldnt really say their pass defense is garbage. Its much improved since last year. This team doesnt need Revis. I think he's overrated and is requiring too much money. I'd rather draft a corner or look for one in FA.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:

Methinks your user name has blinded your good sense sir. QB's can fetch 2 First Round picks; not Cornerback's coming off of ACL surgery...no matter how well their rehab is going.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:

Methinks your user name has blinded your good sense sir. QB's can fetch 2 First Round picks; not Cornerback's coming off of ACL surgery...no matter how well their rehab is going.

It isn't my opinion, it is what insiders are thinking. There is noway the Jets would trade the best player they have ever had for some JAG players and a 4th round pick. A 1st round pick has to be in the discussion. Heck Vontae Davis a lazy bad CB got a 2nd round pick. The Jets traded a 2nd for Cromartie when he was bad.

Props to El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: