Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Starting Quarterback For 2013: John Skelton?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's extremely dangerous and is the opposite of how I'd run a team. Think Dilfer's proven over time to be a bit of an idiot as well.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Super Bowl winning idiot no less.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed as good a spot to post this as any...

You guys seen this article?

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/01/smith-barkley-glennon-and-wilson-a-metrics-breakdown/

My problem with it is that it doesn't address why some of these QB's are suffering from a lack of accuracy at one range or another. Could Barkley struggle in short yardage situations when he checks down and is sensing pressure? Was Wilson under duress attempting deep passes because his OL couldn't do their job? It's the problem I have when discussing just stats. Now, that said, he is claiming to compile these after watching film, but in regard to accuracy, he says he removed drops, but makes no mention of the pressure the QB's were facing. Still, it's hard to ignore when compared to the stats of last year's average drafted QB score.

Thoughts? Any chance of having an open mind regarding Barkley's fit in BA's offense? Lately, I've seen more and more mocks suggesting the Cards will pick Glennon or Barkley. Makes you wonder.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I think that's extremely dangerous and is the opposite of how I'd run a team. Think Dilfer's proven over time to be a bit of an idiot as well.

Many of ESPNs announcers are idiots... so you should take what they said with a grain of salt.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/01/smith-barkley-glennon-and-wilson-a-metrics-breakdown/

My problem with it is that it doesn't address why some of these QB's are suffering from a lack of accuracy at one range or another. Could Barkley struggle in short yardage situations when he checks down and is sensing pressure? Was Wilson under duress attempting deep passes because his OL couldn't do their job? It's the problem I have when discussing just stats. Now, that said, he is claiming to compile these after watching film, but in regard to accuracy, he says he removed drops, but makes no mention of the pressure the QB's were facing. Still, it's hard to ignore when compared to the stats of last year's average drafted QB score.

Thoughts? Any chance of having an open mind regarding Barkley's fit in BA's offense? Lately, I've seen more and more mocks suggesting the Cards will pick Glennon or Barkley. Makes you wonder.

The most interesting things to me (and even then they are not surprising) is the distance downfield that these throws are being made in.

The thing that sticks out to me is 11-20 yard range. This is the hardest area to throw the ball into because it is usually into some form of a small window. (over LB in front of safety, between trailing CB and before safety et al). If you look at the best NFL QB's their ability to throw between 1-10 yards are almost always very good. It is the throws into the 11-20 yard range that separate the good from the great.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:

Some very very interesting stuff in there. Glennon had the highest percentage of passes dropped among the 4 QBs. You could see that on tape though. His receivers really did him no favors. He's pushing 70% completion percentage if he didn't suffer so many drops and was in a system that emphasized the short high percentage throws more. He struggles with overthrows badly.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

Some very very interesting stuff in there. Glennon had the highest percentage of passes dropped among the 4 QBs. You could see that on tape though. His receivers really did him no favors. He's pushing 70% completion percentage if he didn't suffer so many drops and was in a system that emphasized the short high percentage throws more. He struggles with overthrows badly.

The thing that separates the like of Wilson and Smith from Glennon for me is their ability to manipulate the pocket and their comfortability throwing the ball under pressure.

Things that don't show up when you chart throws.

AZPSquared

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glennon to me would be a great fit with BA. He wasn't able to maximize his potential with the poor supporting cast he had around him (NC State WR's constantly dropped passes-I counted close to 10 vs NC).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

The thing that separates the like of Wilson and Smith from Glennon for me is their ability to manipulate the pocket and their comfortability throwing the ball under pressure.

Things that don't show up when you chart throws.

Still don't like Wilson at all, especially in this offense. He's got an overrated arm and altogether average tools. Wilson made a lot of mistakes this year throwing under pressure too like Barkley like Glennon etc. Glennon is still my #2 guy.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZPSquared wrote:
Glennon to me would be a great fit with BA. He wasn't able to maximize his potential with the poor supporting cast he had around him (NC State WR's constantly dropped passes-I counted close to 10 vs NC).

His arm and his willingness to throw the ball downfield and his ability to throw the ball downfield are going to help him in an Arians based offense (Same things make John Skelton a great fit for an Arians offense). Glennon struggles when put under duress, does not manipulate the pocket well.

Put Glennon in shorts throwing vs air and he is going to look like far and away the best QB in this draft (a little bit like Weeden last year) but when the action starts and the bodies are flying, Glennon is not the guy I want pulling the trigger.

LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
AZPSquared wrote:

His arm and his willingness to throw the ball downfield and his ability to throw the ball downfield are going to help him in an Arians based offense (Same things make John Skelton a great fit for an Arians offense). Glennon struggles when put under duress, does not manipulate the pocket well.

Put Glennon in shorts throwing vs air and he is going to look like far and away the best QB in this draft (a little bit like Weeden last year) but when the action starts and the bodies are flying, Glennon is not the guy I want pulling the trigger.

Do you suppose Glennon will shine at the combine then?

#JDI
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Do you suppose Glennon will shine at the combine then?

I would say that he will be the guy that impresses the most throwing the ball at the combine, if he throws.

But the fact is, throwing the football at the combine should mean absolutely nothing with regards to a draft grade. Throwing the ball in shorts vs air means nothing.

apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with Glennon the person actually. We know Wilson and Barkley have good character and leadership but I've heard very little about Glennon. I'm sure he's a good person but he needs to show leadership and fire, two things Arian rates highly. On tape he seems llike that calm guy on the field who isn't very vocal and doesn't command a whole lot of attention ala John Skelton.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple to break down in terms of Mike Glennon: Terrific passer, poor quarterback.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that scouting report

lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: