Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An Overlooked Area Of Bruce Arians' Offense: 2 TEs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: An Overlooked Area Of Bruce Arians' Offense: 2 TEs Reply with quote

We've been discussing the offensive system that head coach Bruce Arians wants to run extensively the past few weeks as it pertains to the pass game, the quarterback position in general and that discussion has been extremely helpful but one area that I notice isn't being discussed in terms of our personnel is Arians' constant use of the 2 TE formation and the fact that...you know, we don't have 2 good TEs. According to PFF, no offensive playcaller has run more TE sets over the last 3 seasons than Bruce Arians. Now, this number can obviously be skewed by the fact that there aren't 32 offensive playcallers who have 3 consecutive years of work from 2010-2012 but the fact that he is the leader in this category speaks for itself regardless. Bruce Arians loves to run 2TE offensive sets, bottom line.

If we want this system to go, we're gonna have to start focusing on acquiring a 2nd TE. Jeff King won't cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: An Overlooked Area Of Bruce Arians' Offense: 2 TEs Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
We've been discussing the offensive system that head coach Bruce Arians wants to run extensively the past few weeks as it pertains to the pass game, the quarterback position in general and that discussion has been extremely helpful but one area that I notice isn't being discussed in terms of our personnel is Arians' constant use of the 2 TE formation and the fact that...you know, we don't have 2 good TEs. According to PFF, no offensive playcaller has run more TE sets over the last 3 seasons than Bruce Arians. Now, this number can obviously be skewed by the fact that there aren't 32 offensive playcallers who have 3 consecutive years of work from 2010-2012 but the fact that he is the leader in this category speaks for itself regardless. Bruce Arians loves to run 2TE offensive sets, bottom line.

If we want this system to go, we're gonna have to start focusing on acquiring a 2nd TE. Jeff King won't cut it.

Could see us acquiring a vet with one of our 6ths perhaps.

We've got a lot of late round ammo that should allow us some flexibility. Remember, they used picks in back to back rounds on Colby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.

Makes sense Champ.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely see another TE being added (I had Vance McDonald in 5th in my last mock), but with Fitz, Floyd, and Roberts, there might not be many snaps available for a 2nd TE (although i believe BA will utilize some 2 TE sets).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: An Overlooked Area Of Bruce Arians' Offense: 2 TEs Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

Could heath miller be an option or do you think either he would cost too much or there isnt a chance the steelers will let him walk?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually think we need to go out and focus on a 2nd TE - We ran a heck of a lot of 2 TE here over the past couple of seasons too.

Could we stand to upgrade that 2nd TE spot, of course, you could probably say that about many of the positions on our team right now.

Who was the #2 TE in Pittsburgh when Arians was running this two TE heavy offense?

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Who was the #2 TE in Pittsburgh when Arians was running this two TE heavy offense?

Matt Spaeth, one of the better blocking TEs in the National Football League. I wanted him badly 2 years ago when he was a RFA.

That said JohnnyV pointed it right out, BA's first year with Indy and 2 of their first 3 picks are TEs. That's not a coincidence.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Matt Spaeth, one of the better blocking TEs in the National Football League. I wanted him badly 2 years ago when he was a RFA.

That said JohnnyV pointed it right out, BA's first year with Indy and 2 of their first 3 picks are TEs. That's not a coincidence.

You know what is also no a coincidence. Both players were very much "plus" value at the spots they were selected at. In a draft process that is going to include Steve, Jason and Bruce there is going to be a lot of back and forth in the months leading up to the draft. Another Tight End is something that needs to be looked into, but remember it was not two years ago when people were calling Jeff King an upper echelon blocking TE in the NFL.

Anthony Fassano, one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL is an UFA this year, as is a guy like Ben Hartsock who has made himself a sticker in the NFL at the TE spot.

Bottom Line - You cannot really go into a draft with preconceived notions that you have to come out with players at positions X, Y and Z because when you do that you end up reaching on talent and missing out on starting calibre players at other positions, and that is especially true in a draft like this years which is very, very deep.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

You know what is also no a coincidence. Both players were very much "plus" value at the spots they were selected at. In a draft process that is going to include Steve, Jason and Bruce there is going to be a lot of back and forth in the months leading up to the draft. Another Tight End is something that needs to be looked into, but remember it was not two years ago when people were calling Jeff King an upper echelon blocking TE in the NFL.

Went ahead and highlighted the portion I found most relevant.

This isn't 2 years ago and Ken Whisenhunt/Rod Graves isn't here anymore. King can let the swinging door hit him.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

This isn't 2 years ago and Ken Whisenhunt/Rod Graves isn't here anymore. King can let the swinging door hit him.

I was trying to more emphasize the point that if we are after a highly regarded blocking TE we don't have to go out and break to bank to find him.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I was trying to more emphasize the point that if we are after a highly regarded blocking TE we don't have to go out and break to bank to find him.

In that case, I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love 2 good TEs on this team.

Never seem to get there.

Would make Kolb look much better.

Sims from MSU is my pick, massive man 6'4 280, soft hands, can block a bit too
mosteelers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about a second TE. Arians never uses one TE let alone two.

The Steelers' 2 TE sets consisted of Miller on the line and a TE in the backfield because Arians doesn't want to have a FB on the roster. The second TE is a blocker out of the backfield. He won't do anything else.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/1/31/3934654/anthony-sherman-based-on-comments-from-coach-bruce-arians-could-be-on

Read the quote from BA. It sounds as if he prefers to go 2 TE.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

In that case, I agree.

I thought Dray was supposed to be a blocker too. I know injuries slow him, but isn't he the back up FB on the roster too.

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"A fullback that plays 15-18 plays a game better be a core special teams horse. I mean a horse. If he's a horse on special teams, yeah.

You know what Sherman is; an absolute demon on ST's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: