Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens have 3 matchups they should exploit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanilla_Ice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Ravens have 3 matchups they should exploit Reply with quote

looks like the 49ers struggle in 3 main areas. What do Ravens fans think? Looks like the 49ers struggle with speed especially.

http://voices.yahoo.com/superbowl-matchups-advantage-ravens-11990438.html?cat=14
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What genius insight.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest matchup we should exploit is Ahmad Brooks in coverage. He's terrible, yet teams rarely challenge him. I watched the Seahawks game against him and he WILL jump as soon as you pump fake once, not to mention he's not very agile and fast.

Patrick Willis struggles in coverage if you make him change directions quickly (HB Angle routes, trail routes, etc.), I think Ray Rice can beat both of the SF inside LB'ers in the passing game with his quickness.

Obviously their corners are not very good, despite their stats. They benefit from the pass rush, and when the pass rush isn't there, they struggle greatly at covering WR's. If we can neutralize the pass rush, it will trickle back to the secondary and I don't believe their corners can hang with our WR's, especially Boldin's physicality and Torrey's / Jacoby's speed. The only capable corner they have is a rookie, and even he's not that good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
The biggest matchup we should exploit is Ahmad Brooks in coverage. He's terrible, yet teams rarely challenge him. I watched the Seahawks game against him and he WILL jump as soon as you pump fake once, not to mention he's not very agile and fast.

Patrick Willis struggles in coverage if you make him change directions quickly (HB Angle routes, trail routes, etc.), I think Ray Rice can beat both of the SF inside LB'ers in the passing game with his quickness.

Obviously their corners are not very good, despite their stats. They benefit from the pass rush, and when the pass rush isn't there, they struggle greatly at covering WR's. If we can neutralize the pass rush, it will trickle back to the secondary and I don't believe their corners can hang with our WR's, especially Boldin's physicality and Torrey's / Jacoby's speed. The only capable corner they have is a rookie, and even he's not that good.

I love the confidence, but I don't think you're giving their defense enough credit. There is a reason they were the #2 scoring defense in the league this year (#1 before Justin Smith went down). Their ILBs are often considered #1 and #2 in the league, so I don't think we can count on our guys consistently beating them. Sure, every once in a while we may be able to, but I wouldn't expect that to happen as often as you are. Also, stopping the pass rush is easier said than done. I'm extremely pleased with how our offensive line has played during the playoffs, but San Fran has the best front 7 in the league IMO. I don't think we should be relying on our line to consistently stop the pass rush so that we can throw it deep, but rather I think we should be calling quick plays that allow Joe to get rid of the ball quickly as a way to neutralize the pass rush. Mix in deep plays with the other throws because in the last few games the niners d has been vulnerable to the deep ball, but I don't think that should be the focus of the offensive game plan

GO RAVENS!!
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I love the confidence, but I don't think you're giving their defense enough credit. There is a reason they were the #2 scoring defense in the league this year (#1 before Justin Smith went down). Their ILBs are often considered #1 and #2 in the league, so I don't think we can count on our guys consistently beating them. Sure, every once in a while we may be able to, but I wouldn't expect that to happen as often as you are. Also, stopping the pass rush is easier said than done. I'm extremely pleased with how our offensive line has played during the playoffs, but San Fran has the best front 7 in the league IMO. I don't think we should be relying on our line to consistently stop the pass rush so that we can throw it deep, but rather I think we should be calling quick plays that allow Joe to get rid of the ball quickly as a way to neutralize the pass rush. Mix in deep plays with the other throws because in the last few games the niners d has been vulnerable to the deep ball, but I don't think that should be the focus of the offensive game plan

A little OT, but I think that their ILB's are starting to get a little overrated. They're great, no doubt, but in the "Ray Lewis or Willis/Bowman?" thread someone called them Kobe/Lebron to Ray's Jordan, which was a bit over the top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I think the weak link in their secondary in Whitner. I read somewhere that QB's have something like 115 passer rating against him.

And I think Boldin is just too big and strong for any of those corners.

And if you're talking about Culliver being their best corner I agree, but isn't this his 2nd year?
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think the Ravens fans would have a problem with that article.

Okay the first one I can understand..exploiting the Secondary with Torrey Smith.

But having to rely on the 49ers missing FG's and/or the Special teams of the 49ers not coming up as big as the Ravens'? C'mon really...do you think that's your ONLY shot at winning? You can't be serious..
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I think the weak link in their secondary in Whitner. I read somewhere that QB's have something like 115 passer rating against him.

And if you're talking about Culliver being their best corner I agree, but isn't this his 2nd year?

Not saying you're wrong, but the QBR against, while a pretty good stat in many ways, is flawed in that it only takes into account when the decision to throw in that direction happens. No possible way it can measure how often he blankets a guy so no throw is made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Not saying you're wrong, but the QBR against, while a pretty good stat in many ways, is flawed in that it only takes into account when the decision to throw in that direction happens. No possible way it can measure how often he blankets a guy so no throw is made.

Fair enough.
Vanilla_Ice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I'd think the Ravens fans would have a problem with that article.

Okay the first one I can understand..exploiting the Secondary with Torrey Smith.

But having to rely on the 49ers missing FG's and/or the Special teams of the 49ers not coming up as big as the Ravens'? C'mon really...do you think that's your ONLY shot at winning? You can't be serious..

I don't think it says this is the only way they win, does it? I didn't see that anywhere. I think it's just showing 3 places the Ravens are better than the 49ers.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it's a bad stat nor that it isn't useful. Just saying that I'm not sure it tells the complete story by itself, which isn't bad per se. I admittedly haven't watched enough of the 49'ers to say one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it's a bad stat nor that it isn't useful. Just saying that I'm not sure it tells the complete story by itself, which isn't bad per se. I admittedly haven't watched enough of the 49'ers to say one way or the other.

He could be shutting people down on some plays, which would mean he's really good some plays and really bad others. I just know if I'm the ravens and they try to cover Jacoby Jones with him or something to that matter, I'd be going straight at him.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Fair enough.

He could be shutting people down on some plays, which would mean he's really good some plays and really bad others. I just know if I'm the ravens and they try to cover Jacoby Jones with him or something to that matter, I'd be going straight at him.

Gotcha.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Vanilla_Ice wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Fair enough.

Gotcha.

So, how are you and other Ravens fans feeling about the matchup in general? Confident? Nervous? Unsure?
mcdni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla_Ice wrote:

So, how are you and other Ravens fans feeling about the matchup in general? Confident? Nervous? Unsure?

All 3 at different times of each day for the last 9 days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: