Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders Interested in Geno Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
I would love to wait till 2014 when the QB class is much, much better

The problem with that line of thinking is that by the time 2014 rolls around, that class will look much different. This time last year people were dubbing Barkley the #1 pick in 2013, and now he is in danger of dropping to the 2nd. Sometimes it's because of a bad year, sometimes it's because scouts have an extra year to really evaluate players and find things they really don't like. It's easy to say we could have Teddy Bridgewater next year, but by this time next year he may not be the prospect everyone thinks he is right now.

I'm not necessarily on the Geno Smith bandwagon, mind you, but if he has a good combine and the staff really thinks he is worth it, then fine by me. I dont think we should take a QB just for the sake of taking one, but if he is the guy Reggie and Co want leading this team then whatever. As of right now I would rather bolster our defense and offensive line, but if he really wows me pre draft then I'd be cool with it.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
raidr4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

The problem with that line of thinking is that by the time 2014 rolls around, that class will look much different. This time last year people were dubbing Barkley the #1 pick in 2013, and now he is in danger of dropping to the 2nd. Sometimes it's because of a bad year, sometimes it's because scouts have an extra year to really evaluate players and find things they really don't like. It's easy to say we could have Teddy Bridgewater next year, but by this time next year he may not be the prospect everyone thinks he is right now.

I'm not necessarily on the Geno Smith bandwagon, mind you, but if he has a good combine and the staff really thinks he is worth it, then fine by me. I dont think we should take a QB just for the sake of taking one, but if he is the guy Reggie and Co want leading this team then whatever. As of right now I would rather bolster our defense and offensive line, but if he really wows me pre draft then I'd be cool with it.
The trenches must come first, and Smith would be bait. If he dropped to us there are 5 teams who could be willing to give up a 2nd round pick to move up PHI, CLE, AZ, BUF, and the Jets. I would trade back with any of those teams then take OG Warmack, then select OT Oday Aboushi with the 2nd round pick. Fixing the line and another year with Carson and going back to a PBS will have our offense competative again. And maybe a #1 reciever. Thats not too much to ask on offense. Use the remaining picks on defense along with some FA moves to help shore up some spots. Then we target a QB next season and countinue to work on defense.

OUR FUTURE PREMIERE LT!!
Mad props to Silver&Black88 on the sig.
nbaker1933

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe with 100% certainty that we are posturing.
Tamby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, at #3 we are walking away with either the top OL, top DL, or top QB prospect in this draft.
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I've always said the QB is the most important position on the field. The Raiders lack impact players, but they also lack a franchise QB. I'm simply saying I would be fine with the pick. IMO, there is not an impact player on either side of the ball in this draft.

You really believe that?
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of any of the QB's in this years class. I think Geno's the best prospect, but feel he's a low 1st, high 2nd round talent. Hopefully this is just a smokescreen to get more interest in the pick.
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plus side to drafting Geno is that we can dump Palmer and his salary. Getting rid of Kelly in the process is going to save us some major coin which is a priority of RM. Playing Geno out of college is going to give us as much stability offensively as Palmer anyway, and he has a very high ceiling.

As BP points out his footwork is flawless. Its clear he studies the game and hones his craft. His throw has a rather long draw back but an incredible release to it. Good arm strength and a great feel for defenses. Having the extra legs doesn't hurt either. I see some Rich Gannon like savvy-ness to his game.

The prospects at the top of the board are not as great as their slots warrant. Why not take a relatively low risk on our signal caller the next few seasons. Pryor in the backup role could pay dividends on his own and create a top notch competition environment between the two young dynamic QB's.

Smith's leadership skills warrant the pick alone. Our young offensive players look a little lost and to have a younger/more disciplined guy come in and take over the offense is going to send a message to Moore, Streater, and DHB. I don't think we want to go searching more for WR's, but rather get some offensive chemistry going. Palmer clearly does not have the ability to establish this with our group of wideouts.

I personally prefer trading down and trying to get Fisher or hope Jarvis Jones falls. This information is probably very true, that the Raiders are interested in Geno. But the other side is also true, they wouldn't be leaking this information with out some intent to manipulate the draft. The Bills, Eagles, Browns, and Arizona are going to have major interest in taking Geno and why not stake the claim that he won't fall past us. Because those teams are more so desperate for his services then we are.

Good news all around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
I've always said the QB is the most important position on the field. The Raiders lack impact players, but they also lack a franchise QB. I'm simply saying I would be fine with the pick. IMO, there is not an impact player on either side of the ball in this draft.

You really believe that?

Damontre Moore wouldn't even crack the top 10 next year and he is considered a top 5. Star is the top player rated overall on most boards and he doesn't have the gumption that RM and DA are looking for. Jones has serious health concerns. Luke doesn't have the dominate game that people claim, Johnny boy saved his butt plenty of times this year. Werner would provide nothing additional to our over stocked LDE line. Geno Smith when compared to other prospects this way starts to look more and more like the safer choice at a highly important position. His footwork, vision, and delivery are signs of a master craftsman at the QB position. It would sure beat watching Pryor stumble all over the place, biting my nails in panic as he threads the needle on a successful or disastrous play.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Show my film of him throwing bubble screens all game? How many people watched WV play this season? They stretch the field with 2 vertical threats. How is that ignored by everyone?

West Virginia wasn't attacking anyone vertically this season, their offense was primarily short passes, screens, and some medium range throws. I'm not saying he didn't make a few deeps throws every now and then but their offense wasn't trying to stretch the field consistently it was more about getting the ball to their two playmaking receivers in space and letting them go to work...

I don't always agree with BP... but to say that Geno and WV only had a few deep throws all season is ridiculous. THey may dink and dunk... but they stretched the field an awful lot as well. Geno has one of the prettiest deep balls in College Football... one of the prettiest actually I've seen in recent years.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
La_Vader wrote:
Lol Geno Smith would do nothing for our defensive woes. It would be another questionable move by Reggie

The real problem would be that he isn't committing to Pryor though.

If Reggie doesn't rate Pryor/CP then I'd be fine with drafting Geno....personally I think we'd do better to give the reigns to CP for another year, with TP (who impressed me this season, with his attitude, perfromance against the Chargers and his limited pre-season game time) waiting in the wings for 2014, but that just my opinion
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

You really believe that?

Wasn't he talking up Jarvis Jones not too long ago?

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:

And we obviously have no idea where we'll be picking in future drafts. The top QB prospects, if they prove to be that, will go early. What if they're out of our reach? We'd either have to give up a ton of picks to attempt to trade up or reach on some QB because he's the best one left.

Now, i'm gonna have to look at Smith more to form a better opinion on him.
blancanieve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

We need to Draft the best Defensive player available this defense needs a stud
Play4Blood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodisrespect wrote:
we should also look at Barkley.

Shocked

You smoking that hippie lettuce, son?

ZoomWaffle wrote:
If you are rebuilding and don't have a franchise QB, then taking the top QB in the draft is never a bad move.

Nevermind that the "top QB" isn't especially good. Being the best of a bad group doesn't make you good. It just makes you the least awful.

Yes, it absolutely can be a bad move. A very bad move.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

You really believe that?

Let me rephrase. I am sure there will prove to be players who impact their team right away. But looking at this class, it's hard to peg which guy can be that.

Moore, Werner, Star, etc. all have flaws in their game and none are rare players IMO. You can always get an impact drafting Oline if that's the selection.

But on defense, I don't see a guy who is coming in and racking up double digit sacks as a rookie aside from maybe Jones, but then you have the injury concern.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 6 of 29

Jump to: