Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 potentially shocking selections at #15:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: 3 potentially shocking selections at #15: Reply with quote

Every year we all go through this… we all feel we’ve got a real good bead on where the Saints will go once the draft comes around. The only problem, players always change the course of thinking throughout the process. Hell, I remember back when some on here could only wish that a guy like Michigan State’s William Gholson would somehow fall to us in the 1st round. Now look at us… Gholson will be lucky to hear his name called before the 4th round and were in an entirely new scheme all together.

Why is this…? Players, plain and simple!

Keeping with this assessment we get to what is now the beginning of the NFL draft process. Players have begun to start to show their true colors while scouts are in the process of separating the studs form the duds. During this process, there are always some guys who come out of nowhere and burst onto the scene and make teams take notice. Here are 3 prospects that have elevated their draft stock and if they continue their upwards momentum throughout the draft process could very well here their names called as high as the 15th pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern

Based purely on his physical ability and stature, Williams has a 1st round skill set. As far as production his stats would rival any defensive lineman in this draft. The question with Williams has always been the level of competition in which he played in college and could he translate that production against top level competition.

Anyone who watched the senior bowl week got there answer to that question!

Williams was simply unblockable at times in Mobile but not only did he showcase his tremendous power and base against the run, he also wowed scouts with his athletic ability and pass rush potential for such a large man. Scouts were also impressed with Williams conditioning for his size. As other smaller defensive lineman was gasping for breath it seemed Williams remained fresh and strong throughout each practice. Most scouts were in agreement that Williams had elevated his draft stock into the middle to upper 2nd round range but there is still a long way to go in this process. Remember people, it is extremely rare to find a nose tackle with this unique skill set. If Brandon Williams played for LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame or some other big time program he would almost certainly be considered a top 10 lock this season. Williams is a great prospect and by all accounts is a great character team first guy that has the potential to continue his rise through the draft rankings right up to the 15th pick come April.

Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

Its Sean Payton guys… enough said! If the Saints do determine that Jermon Bushrod’s asking price is too steep and they are forced move in another direction then this easily becomes the top priority this offseason regardless of the defensive situation. This team is built around Drew Brees! The 2 most important positions in this franchise are the quarterback and the guys protecting him. Yes our defensive needs are paramount but this franchise cannot afford of go into the 2013 NFL season with a revolving door as Drew’s blindside protector.

Johnson would likely be the top rated LT prospect available to the Saints at 15. He’s risen through the draft rankings since the end of the college football season and possesses elite natural skills for the position however he will likely need to continue to develop his body by filling out his frame more for the pro level. With players such as Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher likely to go ahead of Johnson, it could be the former Sooner that ends up being the best of the bunch when it is all said and done.

Desmond Trufant CB Washington

In my humble opinion the cornerback position is our area of most concern after making the switch to the 34 defense. Patrick Robinson has potential but isn’t consistent, Jabari Greer is aging and has a high cap number, the jury is still out on Corey White and everyone else is just a guy.

Trufant absolutely owned the senior bowl! He was gritty, physical and athletic in his play against some quality receivers. The talk all week in Mobile outside of Trufant was LA Tech receiver Quinton Patton. Their match up was one of the things most coveted in the game itself. Trufant went on to hold Patton to zero catches while going one on one against him. Actually Trufant has been doing this his whole career at Washington. Opposing Pac12 quarterbacks came to respect him so much that they ignored his side the field completely during games. At the end of the senior bowl week most scouts were unanimous in their assessment that it wasn’t a question whether Trufant would go in the 1st round but exactly how high would he climb?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Brandon Williams. If we get our 2nd round pick back I hope he is the selection, hell I wouldn't mind us moving back from 15 to the 22-25 range and taking him there.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Love Brandon Williams. If we get our 2nd round pick back I hope he is the selection, hell I wouldn't mind us moving back from 15 to the 22-25 range and taking him there.

Moving back, getting picks and still landing Williams would be a great move.

I'd LOVE for Geno Smith to fall to 15 and let the bidding begin for the teams at the top of the 2nd round like KC, Oakland, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Arizona for the 15th pick.

I believe we could land Williams at any of those spots and a 2nd 2014 1st rounder could go a long way in helping erase the loss of those 2nd round picks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love all 3 guys. I really would hate to use our first rounder on the offensive side of the ball, but as you stated we need to protect Drew. Love me some Trufant though!

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: