Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

justo mock: chris ivory/all star games edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: justo mock: chris ivory/all star games edition Reply with quote

Free agency:
Chris Ivory RB New Orleans Saints

Chris Ivory has always been in a weird spot because the Saints have a good stable of RBs..but they are a pass heavy team. Because of this Ivory is going to end up walking. I've heard a lot of comparisons to Eddie Lacy (arguably the best back in the 2013 class.) Why not just spend a couple bucks and save the pick? Ivory can't be asking for much coming off the Saints DC ranked #3. Maybe going to a better contender makes him lower his price even more. Either way I think he's more of a 3 down back more than anyone on the roster for 2013. Welcome.

Draft:
1 Jonathan Hankins DE/NT Ohio State

Assuming Vaccaro, Richardson, Floyd are off the board. Hankins fills a huge need for a future starting DE. Worthy was decent when he was in last year, but I'm not 100% sold that he's a starter long term. Better safe than sorry. Pickett is going to retire soon. Wilson isn't a long term starter, IMO. Neal is a pass rusher only. The rest are rookie. I think he's big enough that he could rotate with Raji-Pickett at NT (opening up a roster spot, we usually have a NT that sees little to no PT.) He's also got it in him to play 3-4 DE. A Hankins-Raji-Worthy line seems promising.

2 Tony Jefferson FS Oklahoma

My 3rd ranked S in the 2013 class, but he's one of the couple true FS's that I actually like. Bringing in a true FS would 1) untie our hands from the Woodson contract and 2) let Burnett play true SS, which most of us think he is built better for. Jefferson's tackling technique scares me (dives at ankles), but it's something coachable. He's a little small, but has all the talent to start in the NFL.

3 Chris Harper WR Kansas State

The guy really has everything, except the top end speed. Former Ducks QB turned WR. His speed builds up as he gets down field. I heard a lot of Anquan Boldin comparisons this week, when he was down at the Senior Bowl. With Jennings gone, we need another WR in the rotation. Two Wildcats out on the same field would be cool, too.

4 Brian Schwenke OC California

Everyone's favorite OC at the Senior Bowl. Already played in a ZBS. If we bring in a OC-only player I think it's Schwenke. I can't really see him moving out to guard for a long period of time. Resign EDS then have Schwenke in the distance ready to take over.

4 (comp) Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State

One of my favorite prospects of the year, and I think he could slip, because everyone (except the Iowa guy) declared for 2013. If we can nab a pass catcher like him in the 4th, I would be stoked. Leverage for Finley, too.

5 Sio Moore ILB UConn

Didn't see anything about this kid, before the Shrine Game. Goes to the Shrine game and did great. Injuries happened at the Senior Bowl, and he did good from the minute he put on pads. Really going to pay attention to him later today. I think Moore is one of those LBs that this team could use. Seems willing on SPT.

6 Matt Scott QB Arizona

Because he's not Graham Harrell.

6 (comp) Chad Bumphis WR Mississippi State

Not an amazing WR prospect, but he can get it done. Was the Shrine Game MVP. Was recruited highly out of HS. There's a reason he's going in the 6th, but I don't think he'll let guys like Boykin feel confident in camp.

7 Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard

Kuhn's contract is too much, and this kid is doing really well at the Senior Bowl. Williams not getting on the active roster scares me. Crabtree (and Taylor to a lesser extent) is the guy in the backfield when it's not Williams. I don't think Kuhn is lining up in front of the RB in 2013, but someone has to.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefferson supposedly had the worst Seeniorbowl practice of any S, but the tape is good so

It's doubted Bumphis makes the roster, but hey, kid deserves a shot anyway.

I'd literally bounce off the ceiling with joy if we landed Hankins.

Harper is a very sexy pick

Escobar and Otten are two of my pet picks at this point.

Rest of the guys are opening eyes.

I'd probably kill for something similar to this mock.
justo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Jefferson supposedly had the worst Seeniorbowl practice of any S, but the tape is good so

It's doubted Bumphis makes the roster, but hey, kid deserves a shot anyway.

I'd literally bounce off the ceiling with joy if we landed Hankins.

Harper is a very sexy pick

Escobar and Otten are two of my pet picks at this point.

Rest of the guys are opening eyes.

I'd probably kill for something similar to this mock.
Probably will have senior bowl videos on all the other guys. Schwenke/Moore/Juszczyk look really nice in the one on ones though. Really starting to fall for some of these guys in the draft class.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Hankins fan. Plays too soft for a man his size. Not big on Jefferson either. Like Harper. So so on the rest.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very satisfied. Not sure Hankins lasts that long though. Not impossible though.

Like don't love Jefferson. I prefer Phillip Thomas or David Amerson.

Rest is real solid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came into this mock with high expectations and left disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the draft. seems to get us young at a lot of positions of need. really like Hankins, Schwainke, and Harper.

i don't know why everyone is so high on Chris Ivory. unless he comes cheap i just don't think he's a game changer and IMO is the only kind of back that McCarthy is going to give the ball to 15-20 times a game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I've seen Hankins in a mock but I can live with it. I'd honestly rather have Nico Johnson or AJ Klein over Sio Moore; especially Klein if we go that route in the 5th round. FB's come a dime a dozen so I don't see why we need to blow a pick on one.

I wouldn't necessarily mind this draft though and the only pick I'm really dead set against is the Jefferson pick. I don't trust ANYONE coming from Oklahoma. OU seems to be a great college program but they really haven't put out too many solid players the past few years. Trent Williams is really the only decent player OU's put out since AP back in 2007. I could be wrong, but I'd avoid OU guys...just saying...
justo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
I came into this mock with high expectations and left disappointed.
Crying or Very sad

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Like don't love Jefferson. I prefer Phillip Thomas or David Amerson.
I like Thomas more FWIW. Only behind Vaccaro IMO. Just had Jefferson because I don't think Thomas will be there.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like ivory. Not crazy about anyone else, however Very Happy
packattack86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an avid Ohio State fan I would LOVE it if Hankins falls to us, which is possible if he gets past Pitt. Hankins is great at occupying blockers and being disruptive. His negative is that he generates little pass rush, very similar to pickett IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the big knock on Hankins that despite his impressive physical talent, he plays kind of soft?

That's not exactly the kind of player the Packers need on the defensive line, I feel. With the group they have in hand, I think I would be willing to pay a bit of a talent premium for a DL who plays mean.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
I'd be very satisfied. Not sure Hankins lasts that long though. Not impossible though.

Actually it's highly unlikely that Hankins will last that long. I know that there are many mocks in the Packer forum that have him going to us. There is no way. I would love it if he did, but no way.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Isn't the big knock on Hankins that despite his impressive physical talent, he plays kind of soft?

That's not exactly the kind of player the Packers need on the defensive line, I feel. With the group they have in hand, I think I would be willing to pay a bit of a talent premium for a DL who plays mean.

I decided to do a little research on Hankins and came across Dane Brugler's write up of him. I think Hankins could seriously drop down to us the more teams look at his game tape. Here's what I pulled from Brugler's analysis that bugged me.

"Hankins relies too much on his upper-body strength at times and needs to play with consistent leverage. He uses his body too much and needs to consistently utilize his hands and limbs.

Hankins doesn't always play smart with several penalties on his resume, including a late hit on the quarterback (vs. Michigan State in 2012). He tends to wear down throughout the course of a game and give streaky effort, looking fatigued and noticeably taking plays off. "

So we wouldn't necessarily be getting another Pickett; we'd be getting a guy who plays like Pickett does now...

If we go D-line I think I'd rather go Jesse Williams in the first...
packattack86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

I wouldn't call him soft at all, he was a big reason why OSU shut down Leveon Bell, and held Montee Ball and the Huskers RB's in check. His weaknesses can be fixed w/ good coaching IMO. He'll never be a great interior pass rusher, but he can disrupt the ball carrier very well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: