Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panther Prospect Thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to this forum because the previous forum I used to frequent became a haven for trolls and jerks...Do not have time for that.

I think (by April) we will be deciding beteen offensive players. Gettlemen will find a DT in free agency; Shula will need some weapons. Rivera and McDermott showed us what they can do with what we have --10th in the league.

We have to protect Cam and give him more weapons. He was knocked down more than any other QB in the league and he was the team's leading rusher. That says OL. Our #1 WR is a short, old guy and our #2 pass catcher is a TE. That says stud WR. Gettlemen said "QB, big guys, pass rushers, and TD makers"

We are going to get a big guy to protect the franchise QB and a TD maker for him to pass to in the first 2 rounds, IMO.

Lane Johnson is a good LT prospect that allows us to extend Gross, eventually moving him to the right side (Bell is a liability, so this improves 2 Tackle positions). We can get a RG later or in free agency. By April, you will be hoping Lane drops to 14.

In the second round, there will be good WRs to pick from. Here is my list of WRs I think will be taken in the first round. (Although we could easily go CB in the second round):

First Rounders
Patterson
Allen
Austin
T. Williams
Woods

Since one is projected in the top 16, I doubt more than 5 are taken in round I overall.

Second Rounders
Hopkins
Patton
Hunter
Rogers
Wheaton
Dobson

I am suggesting that we could get a LT and Hunter or Patton. Throw in a free agent G, and the offense just got scary.

CBs are deep too however,, so we could go with Logan Ryan and hope Gettis and Adams step up in 2013.

Feedback?
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:

Lucas Reed, TE, University of New Mexico, Sr.

6-6, 250

Projected Round: 7-UDFA

Projected 40: 4.65

A sleeper at the TE position who is going to surprise whichever team takes him, Lucas Reed is a TE that was overshadowed by inept coaches, as well as change in scheme. The younger brother of Houston Texans LB Brooks Reed, Lucas was a four year starter for the Lobos, but unfortunately his career was derailed by possibly the worst head coach in NCAA history, Mike Locksley, as well as a change to a triple option attack under new coach Bob Davie. I can say with confidence however, that Reed is one of the few people that managed to shine in the train wreck that has been UNM football over the past few seasons.

An good route runner, with great hands, Reed also is a good blocker, as anyone is forced to become to play in an option offense. I'd compare him to Zach Miller. Whoever gets him will get a good one and I hope that it is the Panthers.

I mocked Reed to the Bears, I bet he makes an active 53 man roster next season. Do you go to UNM?

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WR definitely could be a pick we make, really doubt its in the first though. Its all about who falls to us in the 2nd.

I'm starting to really hope that Kenny Vacarro is taken before our pick. He's being seen more and more as a guy who could go a lot earlier than people think (he's still on the board at 24 in the forum mock going on in the draft forum). If he's there at 14, I have a feeling he'd be the pick for us. And its not that he's a bad player or anything, I just think the value of taking someone like Cyprien a round later makes a lot more sense.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:

Lucas Reed, TE, University of New Mexico, Sr.

6-6, 250

Projected Round: 7-UDFA

Projected 40: 4.65

A sleeper at the TE position who is going to surprise whichever team takes him, Lucas Reed is a TE that was overshadowed by inept coaches, as well as change in scheme. The younger brother of Houston Texans LB Brooks Reed, Lucas was a four year starter for the Lobos, but unfortunately his career was derailed by possibly the worst head coach in NCAA history, Mike Locksley, as well as a change to a triple option attack under new coach Bob Davie. I can say with confidence however, that Reed is one of the few people that managed to shine in the train wreck that has been UNM football over the past few seasons.

An good route runner, with great hands, Reed also is a good blocker, as anyone is forced to become to play in an option offense. I'd compare him to Zach Miller. Whoever gets him will get a good one and I hope that it is the Panthers.

I mocked Reed to the Bears, I bet he makes an active 53 man roster next season. Do you go to UNM?

Why yes I do!

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
bigboi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Woods or Aaron Dobson with Cam.. Shoot, maybe trade for DJax Very Happy
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee, Jr.

Projected Round: 1

6-3, 205

Projected 40: 4.34

Patterson is a player who has been on a steady rise ever since taking the field for the University of Tennessee this past season. And extremely explosive player, he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. In fact, Patterson was the first player in 4 years to score a TD in 4 different ways (receiving, running, passing, returning). All in all, he finished the year with 1858 total yards and 9 touchdowns.

As a prospect, Patterson has elite speed and quickness, especially for someone his size, along with outstanding field vision. A decent route runner, he can make difficult catches and can get a good separation when he isn't jammed at the line. Unfortunately, there are reasons why he is not being considered along the lines of an AJ Green or a Julio Jones, but all of them are coachable traits. The first of these is that he is a consistant body catcher, even when it isn't necessary. Additionally, there is also the stigma that comes with only having a year at a major college level, but we can see how that worked out for us with Cam.

Overall, on the eve of the combine, this is the player I think the Panthers should take with our 1st round selection. We need to ensure Cam's development, and giving him an elite playmaker (if he develops) can only help in that regard. Additionally we would have a no. 1 receiver once Smitty hangs em up. By taking the same technique that the Colts did with Manning , building up the offense and creating a serviceable defense,we can create an offense that will be potent for years to come.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
New to this forum because the previous forum I used to frequent became a haven for trolls and jerks...Do not have time for that.

I think (by April) we will be deciding beteen offensive players. Gettlemen will find a DT in free agency; Shula will need some weapons. Rivera and McDermott showed us what they can do with what we have --10th in the league.

We have to protect Cam and give him more weapons. He was knocked down more than any other QB in the league and he was the team's leading rusher. That says OL. Our #1 WR is a short, old guy and our #2 pass catcher is a TE. That says stud WR. Gettlemen said "QB, big guys, pass rushers, and TD makers"

We are going to get a big guy to protect the franchise QB and a TD maker for him to pass to in the first 2 rounds, IMO.

Lane Johnson is a good LT prospect that allows us to extend Gross, eventually moving him to the right side (Bell is a liability, so this improves 2 Tackle positions). We can get a RG later or in free agency. By April, you will be hoping Lane drops to 14.

In the second round, there will be good WRs to pick from. Here is my list of WRs I think will be taken in the first round. (Although we could easily go CB in the second round):

First Rounders
Patterson
Allen
Austin
T. Williams
Woods

Since one is projected in the top 16, I doubt more than 5 are taken in round I overall.

Second Rounders
Hopkins
Patton
Hunter
Rogers
Wheaton
Dobson

I am suggesting that we could get a LT and Hunter or Patton. Throw in a free agent G, and the offense just got scary.

CBs are deep too however,, so we could go with Logan Ryan and hope Gettis and Adams step up in 2013.

Feedback?

Would love Lane Johson. It would allow us to move Bell to RG who should be pretty solid there. However I really think WR is the way to go here in the first. We need a bonafide play maker to keep defenses on the their heels. Can't rely on Gettis to get it done.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this really really surprises me. A few weeks after our season ended this Panthers forum was all on the bandwagon for either DT or OT in the first round. Now about two months out from the draft at least half of the forum has turned to WR in the first.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
Wow this really really surprises me. A few weeks after our season ended this Panthers forum was all on the bandwagon for either DT or OT in the first round. Now about two months out from the draft at least half of the forum has turned to WR in the first.

I don't think anyone would really be upset about a DT instead of a WR, or vice versa. Also, for me at least, there's only one reciever that I want in the 1st, and that's Patterson. When it comes down to it, it's more about two things:

1.) I think that the DT's we would be selecting at 14 are not going to be very different different, talent wise, than who will be available at 44, except maybe for Sharif Floyd. Additionally the ones that would be available, Hankins, Richardson, etc. are underwhelming to me where we sit. Patterson, on the other hand, is the clearcut best WR, IMO, so there will be a big drop off once we get to the 2nd round. Also I think he has the ability to be elite, which I don't see in the majority of the DTs. Also I don't think the value will be there at OT.

2.) I think we would be a better team by trying to make the offense an elite group, while making the D at least serviceable, than trying to make both sides of the ball just good. Go the route of the Manning led colts or the Saints on their super bowl run, rather than the Falcons prior to this season.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
I'm still hoping a quality trench player is available when we pick. It ain't a sexy pick, but it's definitely a need.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Moody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:

I'd say those are the biggest needs but Gettleman is a BPA guy. We gotta get through free agency first. I've really given up pegging us to a player, I just narrow it down to five or so.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/2/21/4014768/dave-gettleman-combine-presser-transcript

Quote:
Gettleman: "The way I look at the whole picture is, Free agency is the opportunity to set your draft up. You want to be in a position where you can take the best player. Nine times out of 10 you get in trouble when you draft for need. It's a problem. You can have a top 10 pick and make up your mind you're going to draft for need, and if he's not there, then what do you do. It's all part of it. You want as much competition at every position as possible. With the giants people thought we were crazy for drafting defensive ends. We drafted Kiwanuka and we drafted JPP and everyone's saying my God when's it going to stop? If that's the best player available you take him. Nothing like competition."

Gettleman giving signs that point away from DT. Show me Cordarrell!

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: