Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manti Te'o
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I don't think we take him in the first. Earliest I would grab him, if I were the Ravens is the 3rd round.

But heck, I know absolutely nothing about draft picks and how to value players in the draft, so take my opinion as you please.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Te'o fell to Baltimore's pick in the first round I think they would pull the trigger on him. Getting a pass-rusher is a bigger need in my opinion but Te'o would be a good value at that point. I doubt he actually falls that far though.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pass. I like Arthur Brown better... And I need to look at Minter more. Matt Elam might be there. A pass rusher could be available. Perhaps a notable LT prospect. Actually I wouldn't mind Te'O but he'd have to be the BPA and I'm not sure he will be at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely take him if he fell to our first round pick. He definitely has first round talent.

I'm not concerned with that whole hoax story. Definitely seems like he was mostly the victim there.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
I'd definitely take him if he fell to our first round pick. He definitely has first round talent.

I'm not concerned with that whole hoax story. Definitely seems like he was mostly the victim there.

Off topic but as a Canadian I can't believe how enamoured the USA media has been with that story. A bottom of the barrel, killing-journalism type of sensationalism that annoys me whenever it comes up. It's pervaded all types of shows the past two or three weeks.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmvoss wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Off topic but as a Canadian I can't believe how enamoured the USA media has been with that story. A bottom of the barrel, killing-journalism type of sensationalism that annoys me whenever it comes up. It's pervaded all types of shows the past two or three weeks.

Agreed
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmvoss wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

That's what USA media is about. The nation cares more about what Kim Kardashian ate for breakfast than "real" stories. Very Happy

As for Te'O, it would depend on who all is there. While ILB is definitely a need for us, I'm of the mindset that a high quality ILB can be found in rounds 3-5 as well, so pulling the trigger on one in round 1, he would have to be a big time steal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

That's what USA media is about. The nation cares more about what Kim Kardashian ate for breakfast than "real" stories. Very Happy

As for Te'O, it would depend on who all is there. While ILB is definitely a need for us, I'm of the mindset that a high quality ILB can be found in rounds 3-5 as well, so pulling the trigger on one in round 1, he would have to be a big time steal.

If he makes it to our pick, that's definitely going to be a steal. Now I'm really sad that CJ Mosley isn't coming out though because I think I might have preferred him and with Te'o, Brown and Mosley one of them would at least drop to us. When was the last time more than 2 ILB's went in the first round? I feel like it's probably been a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Te'O, here's the entire Te'O interview he and his family did with Katie Couric w/o commercials for those who want to see. I'll let others judge where they may, but I for one believe the family.

He honestly didn't do anything in this situation that I wouldn't have done. The only thing that I might've done differently was to visit the girl in the hospital, BUT he has a good point. This 'girl' seemed to be very unreliable/unpredictable. So he likely had a few reservations about really committing with her on a 'family' level. I've dated 'real' girls like that before and until you're completely comfortable with them, it can be tough bringing them home to the parents. Not visiting her in the hospital seems bad in retrospect, but he was in a state that wasn't his own. If he were Reggie Bush he probably just borrows an agents Mercedes on his way to the hospital (except Bush probably would've never been in such a relationship), but he was in a state that wasn't his own... he didn't have a car... and if she indeed was in a coma, it wasn't really much he could do.

I mean, he's got money coming to him in the future, but still renting a car as a college student is going to cost bread. Then he has to tell his parents that he's going to miss his flight because of some girl that they probably aren't very comfortable with.

His parents seem very overprotective. So in turn, and his father seems very tough. So I can imagine he was moreso motivated by the prospect of disappointing them and on facing their judgment than by his desire to see this girl. Doesn't mean he doesn't love her. And of the two choices, he probably made the most practical choice.

And 20/20... he clearly made the right choice. If he tries to meet up with her, he would've never met her still. Likely some hospital mix up... and now he misses out on a flight home.

Anyways, I believe him, and this is pretty much what I expected of this stories conclusion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmvoss wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Meh... I don't think its that bad. This is a very unique story. And their is a lot of interest with it. This isn't Lance Armstrong or Beyonce Lip Singing. Those stories are all pretty common: athlete doing drugs... singer lip singing... who cares.

But this story is above simply the usual entries. This has a lot of interesting angles to it. The element of social networking and privacy is there. How should we respond to these possibilities of identity theft online with an ever growing social connection climate?

Then we have the notion of online dating. This relationship Manti had was very much strictly online and over-the-phone. This isn't exactly 'new' anymore, but it does bring to light the struggles our society still faces with this type of dating.

We have the Catfishing angle. Online dating is already ridiculed enough, does this element of possible Catfishing now add a new scarier dimension to this? Are you simply being played- your emotions being taken advantage of? Or maybe someone is catfishing because they indeed like you and would like to 'appear' to look like someone else or appear to look like someone of the opposite gender. Ethically speaking its highly wrong, but irrationally speaking there are ways in which I'm sure someone could justify their want to 'catfish' someone. Perhaps feelings don't need to be contrived, only identity... and they lament their appearance that limits them.

And then finally, we have the nature of the 'did he do it'... this part of it, I can understand being something that can draw ones ire or annoyed someone. But really, people love gossip, whether they pretend to not enjoy it or not. Heck, this site was formed as a place where we can essentially 'gossip' about the 'stock' of draft prospects and their potential relationship to our respective teams. We all have different thresholds for when that 'gossip' becomes annoying and which 'gossip' we like to hear, but a high profile athlete/celebrity who is in such an unusual case... and people get to speculate... well it's going to draw opinions.

And honestly, I can't blame the media at all for really taking this story and running with it. The original case where they hyped up him playing after her death and stuff... that was overplayed and was horrible journalism, heck how did they not have pictures of Lennay beforehand, etc.? But this story and all its variables is truly unique and brings to light many different social questions and intrigue. This story is like playing the game 'Clue'... who did it? Was Te'O involved? Was Diane involved? Were both involved? I don't pay much attention to it, but when I do... I can't lie, it has been very interesting to see all the different theories and perspectives on this. And watching Couric's seriousness when interviewing Te'O... and ESPECIALLY Anderson Cooper's seriousness when interviewing Diane O'Meara about her role in all of this... it was simply hilarious! They're so overly focused and locked in... that I can't help but laugh. It's like they're interviewing survivors from some tragic incident or something, yet they're just asking about facebook pictures and the like. They definitely take their jobs seriously though... obviously- which is why I enjoy watching them both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: