Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Revis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 3946
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
If we dumped 4 of those 5 (keep Manningham), we would have no problem getting Revis. Only this is what would the Jets want in return? Shocked


No, we were more so speaking on clearing the cap by letting go some of those players. Now, the Jets will want draft picks in return, and possibly Alex Smith as well. Make it happen!


The only 2 guys in that group of 5 posted above I would keep are Manningham and maybe Goodwin. Carlos would obviously be replaced by Revis and Parys and Alex are as good as gone anyway. I guess Alex would most likely be involved in the trade to bring Revis here anyway so this would work.
_________________


candyman93 wrote:
San Francisco is going to put an unmerciful beat down on everyone they play next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gore Whore 21


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 4207
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern is being able to lock up our star players. If we got Revis Rogers would be gone, and Alex is as good as gone after the season so that'd save us some cap space. What we really have to think about is guys that are going to need to be extended soon. Kap is going to want a new contract soon, especially if he wins us a superbowl. Aldon is only signed through the next two seasons and I think it's fair to assume he will cost us a pretty penny to lock up as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Revis and he'd take our defense from very good to crazy good. If they can find a way to bring in Revis as well as lock up guys like Aldon, Kap, and Crabs then I'm all for it.
_________________
saintsfan on the sig

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 336
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
My main concern is being able to lock up our star players. If we got Revis Rogers would be gone, and Alex is as good as gone after the season so that'd save us some cap space. What we really have to think about is guys that are going to need to be extended soon. Kap is going to want a new contract soon, especially if he wins us a superbowl. Aldon is only signed through the next two seasons and I think it's fair to assume he will cost us a pretty penny to lock up as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Revis and he'd take our defense from very good to crazy good. If they can find a way to bring in Revis as well as lock up guys like Aldon, Kap, and Crabs then I'm all for it.


We're going to have that problem anyway. Iupati, Staley, Cowboy, Goldson, Cully, Aldon, Hunter, CK, Crabs, A. Davis....regardless if we bring in Revis or not, that would be a problem. We're not going to be able to resign all those guys. Not even half probably. Bowman saw the big picture and took less money than he could have made on the open market so he could remain a Niner and keep thriving in a scheme he seems very comfortable with. You have to hope some of those guys do the same but its unlikely most will.

Bringing in a Revis into a defense of our caliber, your hoping he sees the big picture and maybe doesn't ask for 14 mil per as we extend him, so we can keep a Goldson and a Aldon around, to help him play at a high level. Maybe he takes 14 the first year, then 12 a year after. Maybe he bites, maybe he doesn't but for a guy like Revis, its worth a try just to see where his head is at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frisco$finest


Joined: 25 Dec 2005
Posts: 1053
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another link:

http://www.csnbayarea.com//49ers/report-49ers-interested-trade-jets-darrelle-revis

We're already a talented group with a gluttony of picks any, so I can see a package with some team with Alex+picks. IDK if this is the trade I want though as many alluded ti earlier if it means handcuffing us to re-sign players we're going to have to pay in a year or two.
_________________
"You look up and you see us shining down on you...." - Lupe Fiasco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6483
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the jets are dreaming for a first and second. There's no way the market for revis will be as great as they think. He's an elite cornerback, but i just don't think the positional value + injury + pending free agency will make anyone give up a ton. I think if they're looking straight draft picks, I see something like s 2nd, 3rd and maybe a 5th. If they are willing to take on Alex's contract and would like to get him, then you may get a couple of mid rounders as a toss in. I just don't see a huge market trade wise. Honestly though, I don't see the trade happening because of the jets salary cap issue.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 12875
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisco$finest wrote:
here's another link:

http://www.csnbayarea.com//49ers/report-49ers-interested-trade-jets-darrelle-revis

We're already a talented group with a gluttony of picks any, so I can see a package with some team with Alex+picks. IDK if this is the trade I want though as many alluded ti earlier if it means handcuffing us to re-sign players we're going to have to pay in a year or two.



I think a trade for Revis will only happen if we lose the Superbowl. If we lose, extra effort will be made to make this a Superbowl-winning team before the window on many of our veterans closes. Once Justin and Frank retire, and the new contracts of our 2011 draft class kick in, it will be a much different team to build. So, if we lose, next week, I'm sure the idea of getting Revis will be entertained seriously. But if we win, it might not be to the same extent. Maybe more will be invested in the long-term, rather than consolidating another shot at a short-term title.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 23781
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, even if we win I think we should make this move. This could be the difference from winning one SB, to winning three of them. You have to continue to improve and I do think Revis would take a discount knowing this is a Super Bowl caliber team. Carlos Rogers had a good season, but he will be 32 years old next year. That is about the age a CB starts to rapidly decline as they lose their legs. Nnamdi Asomugha is 31 years old and his legs aren't close to what they were just two or three years ago. In times when our pass rush is not there because of injuries or other reasons, Revis will still be able to be effective and take a WR out of the game. In NY, the pass rush is a damn joke and his play hasn't dipped one bit. This is a special talent entering his prime, but does have the ACL injury as an concern. I'm not too worried seeing how other players have come back from it. Having as many picks as we have, there is a way we can work this out with even adding Alex Smith to the deal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we can sign Kaep and Aldon and not cripple our cap space in the process, i'd be fine with that. I don't want a situation like the Lions where half our cap space is on 3 players, no matter how good they are.

But seeing as how Revis reportedly wants $60 million guaranteed...i'm not sure if that's possible.

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Our 1st round pick is going to be late anyways, and we have 14 picks this year. We definitely could work something out with even including a 2nd round pick for next season.

2013 1st and 3rd
2014 2nd

I would have NO problem with that what so ever. He is going to be expensive, but releasing Rogers will shed some salary off as well. The thought of Culliver and Revis for the next five years is enticing. He could be our Deion Sanders and this defense would be NASTY.

Paraag Marathe lets do this!


Not to nitpick but we have 11 picks. Our original 7, and i believe the Panthers 3rd, Colts 5th, Dolphins 6th, and Bengals 7th. Colin Jones trade was supposedly for a 2014 7th.

We could get some compensatory picks, but all the projections i read have us anywhere from one extra 4th or 5th rounder. So if thats true it would be 12 picks, not 14. I dunno if that makes a difference in your argument haha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 23781
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really? I don't know where I read 14 picks, maybe even from this thread Laughing . But even 12 picks is awfully a lot, and not sure how many even make the team. We have a lot of flexibility and can even trade one of our picks next year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20479
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positions in the NFL go through revolutions every once in a while. Remember how important franchise running backs were in the 1990s? Now they're almost non existent & dime a dozen; Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams type trades would never happen now, while no guys like Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton cannot drive teams to the playoffs.

The cornerback position at the moment is going through kind of the opposite effect. it is clearly an offense driven league. 8 out of 10 teams have a "franchise" QB who can/will throw for 4000 yards. 8 out of 10 QBs have 1 or more real genuine playmakers at throw to.

Jonathan Joseph is a consensus top 5 corner in football. He got abused by AJ Green in round 1 of the play offs. Yes, it is AJ Green, but it is a good metaphor for the fact that is an OFFENSE driven league to the max right now.

Guys like Revis, or Richard Sherman (yup) who can really take away the best of guys 1 on 1 should be paid whatever they want. They're uber rare and their impact on games is enormous. Revis is a HUGE reason that very average Jets defense in 2009-2010 played far better than they were. If you guys can Revis....that would be the most ridiculous to a team since Randy joined the Patriots in 2007. It is putting an already great unit WAY over the top. All time great level of dominance should be expected.

The only catch is Asomugha. Nnamdi was Revis like dominant in Oakland, but he has been HORRIBLE in Phily. It's possible that Revis would struggle in a new system. Other than that, pay that guy whatever he wants.

Revis, Willis, and the Smiths lone - 4 of the 11 defensive guys - make it just about impossible for an offense to do anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 23781
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asomugha had a good season last year, but they completely misused him early on. You can't put a press corner in zone as much as they did, but that was terrible. This season, it seemed like he lost his legs a bit and couldn't recover as he used too.

Revis doesn't rely on press coverage as much and can play off coverage when he has too. Now, could he lose his legs in two or three years as well? Sure, you just never know how a player reacts in his 30s.

Good post, maybe next season Moss could burn Revis..........................in practices Wink .
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6483
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Positions in the NFL go through revolutions every once in a while. Remember how important franchise running backs were in the 1990s? Now they're almost non existent & dime a dozen; Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams type trades would never happen now, while no guys like Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton cannot drive teams to the playoffs.

The cornerback position at the moment is going through kind of the opposite effect. it is clearly an offense driven league. 8 out of 10 teams have a "franchise" QB who can/will throw for 4000 yards. 8 out of 10 QBs have 1 or more real genuine playmakers at throw to.

Jonathan Joseph is a consensus top 5 corner in football. He got abused by AJ Green in round 1 of the play offs. Yes, it is AJ Green, but it is a good metaphor for the fact that is an OFFENSE driven league to the max right now.

Guys like Revis, or Richard Sherman (yup) who can really take away the best of guys 1 on 1 should be paid whatever they want. They're uber rare and their impact on games is enormous. Revis is a HUGE reason that very average Jets defense in 2009-2010 played far better than they were. If you guys can Revis....that would be the most ridiculous to a team since Randy joined the Patriots in 2007. It is putting an already great unit WAY over the top. All time great level of dominance should be expected.

The only catch is Asomugha. Nnamdi was Revis like dominant in Oakland, but he has been HORRIBLE in Phily. It's possible that Revis would struggle in a new system. Other than that, pay that guy whatever he wants.

Revis, Willis, and the Smiths lone - 4 of the 11 defensive guys - make it just about impossible for an offense to do anything.


see, i have the exact opposite thought. yes, the nfl is going through this passing revolution, but at the same time, what that means is that you're not seeing typical 2rb, 2wr, 1te sets. a shut down corner no longer shuts down half the field. When you're going up against pass happy teams like new england, the giants, new orleans, green bay, etc, that cornerback loses value as more and more people are out on routes. A single shut down corner against a 4 wr set doesn't matter as much, somebody like rodgers will shred you with wrs 2-4. Thats why i think getting to the qb is much more important; not saying I would't want revis, because i would (but only for one year, for whatever reason, i'm not big on re-signing him), and we have the additional cornerbacks to make it a very good secondary, I just don't think he has the value that a lot of people think.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 336
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
Positions in the NFL go through revolutions every once in a while. Remember how important franchise running backs were in the 1990s? Now they're almost non existent & dime a dozen; Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams type trades would never happen now, while no guys like Barry Sanders or Walter Peyton cannot drive teams to the playoffs.

The cornerback position at the moment is going through kind of the opposite effect. it is clearly an offense driven league. 8 out of 10 teams have a "franchise" QB who can/will throw for 4000 yards. 8 out of 10 QBs have 1 or more real genuine playmakers at throw to.

Jonathan Joseph is a consensus top 5 corner in football. He got abused by AJ Green in round 1 of the play offs. Yes, it is AJ Green, but it is a good metaphor for the fact that is an OFFENSE driven league to the max right now.

Guys like Revis, or Richard Sherman (yup) who can really take away the best of guys 1 on 1 should be paid whatever they want. They're uber rare and their impact on games is enormous. Revis is a HUGE reason that very average Jets defense in 2009-2010 played far better than they were. If you guys can Revis....that would be the most ridiculous to a team since Randy joined the Patriots in 2007. It is putting an already great unit WAY over the top. All time great level of dominance should be expected.

The only catch is Asomugha. Nnamdi was Revis like dominant in Oakland, but he has been HORRIBLE in Phily. It's possible that Revis would struggle in a new system. Other than that, pay that guy whatever he wants.

Revis, Willis, and the Smiths lone - 4 of the 11 defensive guys - make it just about impossible for an offense to do anything.


see, i have the exact opposite thought. yes, the nfl is going through this passing revolution, but at the same time, what that means is that you're not seeing typical 2rb, 2wr, 1te sets. a shut down corner no longer shuts down half the field. When you're going up against pass happy teams like new england, the giants, new orleans, green bay, etc, that cornerback loses value as more and more people are out on routes. A single shut down corner against a 4 wr set doesn't matter as much, somebody like rodgers will shred you with wrs 2-4. Thats why i think getting to the qb is much more important; not saying I would't want revis, because i would (but only for one year, for whatever reason, i'm not big on re-signing him), and we have the additional cornerbacks to make it a very good secondary, I just don't think he has the value that a lot of people think.


Actually it does matter. A 4 WR set, with Revis on the field means you only need to worry about defending 3 WR with the rest of the secondary. He automatically takes one WR out of the equation. He's that good as to where you can put him on the outside guy and bracket the safeties to give help to the other 3 WR. His skillset is that rare that he takes the guy across from him out of the play. Like he was never on the field to begin with. A CB with those kind of skills is just as valubale as 16 sack a year pass-rusher. If we could get at 2-3 all-world years out of Revis, it could mean the difference from perennial playoff team to a perennial SB team, year in and year out. Revis was the reason those Jets defense's under Ryan looked so good. They had no viable pass-rush. Ryan schemed presssure, mainly because Revis allowed him to basically only worry about half of the field. And he saw many mutiple WR sets doing so. That adds to Revis's value, not diminishes it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20479
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who can keep up with Moss 8 times out of 10 - with one of the two being an amazing one handed catch - is a beast.

The other time was just a straight up burn, though. Laughing Revis was just lke " Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked "
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alpha


Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 151
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he would only be a one year rental because he has a no franchise tag clause and he's a Fa after next season. We have our own players we need to resign in the future and he wants top dollar. It would be exciting though Cool
_________________

1st and Gore
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group