Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why The Hell Is Joe Marciano Still Our ST Coach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Why The Hell Is Joe Marciano Still Our ST Coach? Reply with quote

I'm not even going to waste the typing time on all the reasons this guy should have been gone shortly after the season, but lets start with us having a second straight year where this unit's performance was a considerable distance below the offense and defense including being the 32nd rated Special Teams unit according to Pro Football Focus. Deji Karim TD return vs. Colts likely cost us home field advantage, just like Jacoby Jones fumble was a major part of our first playoff loss. Jacoby's Pro Bowl year as a dual threat kickoof and punt returner reflects poorly upon Maricano's ability to evaluate (not using Jacoby as kickoff returner) and coach up players as certainly does the embarassment of sticking with Trindon Holliday 2.5 years then watching him go nuts in Denver. Coverage units have been terrible two years in a row despite draft and trade attention of special teams players like Martin, Keo, McManis, Dickerson, Holliday Clutts, Dobbins, etc. Kicking/Punting has been good, but let's face it, special teams coaches don't teach kickers or punters how to kick. Sure, the guy has been here for 12 years and has 27 years experience, but in a results league, you are measured by your ability to impact this group and if a guy like Andy Reid can be fired because it's time for a change, friggin Joe Marciano can go.

Frankly, I'm ready to be done with Chick Harris as well as he needed to speak up on the mismanagement of Arian Foster's workload and have Ben Tate better prepared to take on the load. I know he can't do anything about injuries, but he doesn't seem to be getting through to Tate who's problems stem from a work ethic issue more than anything. Dude got lucky with one special player in Arian, but did nothing with about 15 other RBs in team history. Less fired up about ditching him, but I'd put him on the hot seat if Tate is a mess again next year.

It seems we're back to Kubiak not making a move until he's forced to like when he was told Phillips was taking over the d or when all the offensive assistants have left. Kubiak needs to recognize that there is a value to holding your coaching staff accountable, just like players and Marciano quite clearly has not gotten the job done two years in a row and it has contributed to major losses in very significant ways. If Jacoby Jones can be let go because of a fumbled punt in a playoff loss, Marciano absolutely should be gone on the Colts return alone, especially since we had a close call in almost losing to the Jets almost exclusively because our special teams units were so badly outplayed. I still think Kubiak is afraid of bringing in a young stud ST coach as it presents a threat to him which is why we get all the retreads or nepostism hires with him. Rick Smith needs to step in and force this move, just like Wade, as we shouldn't be held back because Kubiak fears change or doesn't want to bring in someone who could eventually be viewed as his replacement.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You more or less answered your own question, and it is the same reason Kevin Walter stands a good chance to be our number two again next year.
Raz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why The Hell Is Joe Marciano Still Our ST Coach? Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I still think Kubiak is afraid of bringing in a young stud ST coach as it presents a threat to him which is why we get all the retreads or nepostism hires with him. Rick Smith needs to step in and force this move, just like Wade, as we shouldn't be held back because Kubiak fears change or doesn't want to bring in someone who could eventually be viewed as his replacement.

Really! LMAO
Wasn't Joe here before Kubiak? Isn't possible that the owner doesn't want him gone.Tell me Apollo, why aren't you working for the Texans since you obviously know it all, like when you bashed players who weren't performing well and should have been gone there and then.. players like Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, Kareem Jackson and now recently DeVier Posey.
Your posts are often spot on but sometime you fit in assumptions of your own to create your theory.
But in the end i agree that Joe should have been fired after this season and someone is taking a risk of keeping him here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Apollo.

I think Dave Toub (formerly of Chicago) is headed to KC, but I think he could do dynamite things for our team.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marciano couldn't adjust to the change of special teams rules. I thought he should've been gone last year.
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
Marciano couldn't adjust to the change of special teams rules. I thought he should've been gone last year.

I don't know that he can't, he just didn't?!

I still think he will be gone before the season starts.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgtx wrote:

I'm holding out for this as well. Granted, we should move much quicker than we have, but I can't see where Marciano stays and the Texans get any sort of reaction outside of a negative one.

Maybe it is an effort to let him "fall softly" as you've alluded to in the past, Apollo? Marciano and Andre Johnson are the only two guys left from the Dom Capers/Charlie Casserly era, and I don't think Bob McNair is one to forget who he came to the dance with, so to speak. Instead of taking the clear route of firing him, we're giving him a chance to let the actual season ride out and then letting him "retire" much like how we probably wouldn't cut AJ, but trade him if we felt he wasn't part of the plans of the team going forward.

I agree, guy should be on the street - but I think this is moreso an effort of the Texans taking the high road and letting a guy walk with his dignity intact, as opposed to neglecting that side of the ball and worrying about competetion.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Dawgtx wrote:

I'm holding out for this as well. Granted, we should move much quicker than we have, but I can't see where Marciano stays and the Texans get any sort of reaction outside of a negative one.

Maybe it is an effort to let him "fall softly" as you've alluded to in the past, Apollo? Marciano and Andre Johnson are the only two guys left from the Dom Capers/Charlie Casserly era, and I don't think Bob McNair is one to forget who he came to the dance with, so to speak. Instead of taking the clear route of firing him, we're giving him a chance to let the actual season ride out and then letting him "retire" much like how we probably wouldn't cut AJ, but trade him if we felt he wasn't part of the plans of the team going forward.

I agree, guy should be on the street - but I think this is moreso an effort of the Texans taking the high road and letting a guy walk with his dignity intact, as opposed to neglecting that side of the ball and worrying about competetion.

Problem is that aside from 49ers & Ravens staffers (that arent going anywhere), everyone else has already signed up the ST coordinator candidates. Frigging Jacoby kickoff return in the SB twisted the knife just that much more since Marciano didn't even use Jacoby as anything more than a KR injury sub in favor of the gaggle of Steve Slaton garbage on KRs.

BTW - Chick Harris is the other holdover from the original 2002 staff. He has gotten decent value out of low rent guys like Dom Davis, Slaton, and ultimately Foster, but couldn't sustain the first two, mismanaged Foster this year, and has flopped in developing higher picks like Tate, Morency, and failed to "fix'" free agents like Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Chris Brown, and post rookie year Slaton. Did decent work with Derrick Ward. As stated earlier, not ready to run him out of town, but only marginally satisfied. Marciano's work is the equivalent if Morency helping the Packers to a Super Bowl or Slaton getting the Dolphins to the playoffs.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 53m
Texans hired Bob Ligashesky as special teams assistant. He'll work with special teams coordinator Joe Marciano.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-hire-Bob-Ligashesky-as-special-teams-assistant/995dcbaa-8821-4281-a01a-28b5503eafe4

I guess this is their solution.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Texans hired Bob Ligashesky as special teams assistant. He'll work with special teams coordinator Joe Marciano.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-hire-Bob-Ligashesky-as-special-teams-assistant/995dcbaa-8821-4281-a01a-28b5503eafe4

From what I've read, he was dismal for the Bucs last season coaching their special teams. They were ranked 30th according to PFT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh our return game is very unlikely to get better unless we drastically upgrade our players.....which we have not at this point.....could be another rough season in that aspect
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

From what I've read, he was dismal for the Bucs last season coaching their special teams. They were ranked 30th according to PFT

Sounds like another Kubiak hire.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Sounds like another Kubiak hire.

Yep. He used to coach tight ends I believe, for the Broncos.

Only positive thing I can get out of this is that Tampa lead the league in block punts last season. Braman should be happy! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there solution is to hire a assistant and one of the league best Punters if he cant get it done this year then this should be it for him hes got no excuses now
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see plenty of my Texans brethren paying attention to developments like normally under the radar ST Assistant hires. Clearly, he is being brought on to take on some aspect of the ST operation and I'd start with coverage teams which have been awful two years in a row. Beleive it or not, I have no Bob Ligashesky information at the ready, other than seeing a pretty spotty resume as ST Coach with Jax, St. L, and Pittsburgh, followed by a demotions to TE's coach at Denver, then 1 year ST assistant gigs with Raiders, Tampa, and now us, but then again I actually use an employee's track record as a hiring criteria, unlike Kubiak. I wouldn't be jumping at being the 7th team in 9 years to hire anyone. Certainly doesn't fit the profile of a young up and comer to groom into ST Coach, then up the line to DC, but rather a 50 year old bouncing his way down the ladder. On the bright side, he's not related to anyone as far as I could tell, as I keep waiting for one of the Kubiak boys to start drawing a Texans paycheck.

Not sure what Kevin Bentley is doing these days and good players don't always make good coaches, but it sure seems like hiring a former Texans ST captain would present some upside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: