Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft thoughts

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Mock Draft thoughts Reply with quote

I'm taking part in a Mock draft game as the Chargers GM on another site.
Just wanted some thoughts on what I've done so far and what direction I should take in the draft.
No free agency so I made a few trades which are listed at the bottom of the depth chart.

OFFENSE

QB Philip Rivers | Charlie Whitehurst
RB David Wilson | Ronnie Brown | Jackie Battle | Curtis Brinkley | Edwin Baker
FB Le'Ron McClain
TE Randy McMichael | Dante Rosario | Ladarius Green
WR Danario Alexander | Eddie Royal | Mike Willie
WR Malcom Floyd | Vincent Brown | Micheal Spurlock
LT Mike Harris
LG Chris Snee | Tyronne Green | Brandyn Dombrowski
C Nick Hardwick | Colin Baxter | David Molk
RG J.R Sweezy | Rex Hadnot | Steve Schilling
RT Michael Oher | Kevin Haslam


DEFENSE

LDE Kendall Reyes | Luis Castillo | Martin Vaughn
NT Antonio Garay | Cam Thomas | Aubrayo Franklin
RDE Corey Liuget | Jaques Cesaire | Damik Scafe
OLB Shaun Phillips | Jarret Johnson | Larry English
MLB Takeo Spikes | Jonas Mouton
MLB Donald Butler | Demorrio Williams
OLB O'Brien Schofield | Antwan Barnes | Gary Guyton
RCB Brandon Carr | Antoine Cason | Chris Carr
FS Eric Weddle | Corey Lynch
SS Atari Bigby | Brandon Taylor | Darrell Stuckey
LCB Quenti Jammer | Marcus Gilchrist


SPECIAL TEAMS

K Nick Novak
P Mike Scifres
LS Mike Windt

TRADES

Chargers get Brandon Carr CB
Cowboys get Jared Gaither OT + Shareece Wright

Chargers get Michael Oher
Baltimore get Melvin Ingram OLB + Jeromey Clary

Chargers get JR. Sweezy OG
Seahwks get R6/169

Chargers get Chriss Snee OG + David Wilson RB
Giants get Antonio Gates TE + Luis Vasquez OG + Ryan Matthews RB

Chargers get O'Brien Schofield OLB
Arizona get Antoine Cason CB + Robert Meachem WR

DRAFT PICKS

R1/11
R2/45
R3/76
R4/107
R5/138
R7205
__________________
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kramxel


Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 3843
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft thoughts Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
I'm taking part in a Mock draft game as the Chargers GM on another site.
Just wanted some thoughts on what I've done so far and what direction I should take in the draft.
No free agency so I made a few trades which are listed at the bottom of the depth chart.

OFFENSE

QB Philip Rivers | Charlie Whitehurst
RB David Wilson | Ronnie Brown | Jackie Battle | Curtis Brinkley | Edwin Baker
FB Le'Ron McClain
TE Randy McMichael | Dante Rosario | Ladarius Green
WR Danario Alexander | Eddie Royal | Mike Willie
WR Malcom Floyd | Vincent Brown | Micheal Spurlock
LT Mike Harris
LG Chris Snee | Tyronne Green | Brandyn Dombrowski
C Nick Hardwick | Colin Baxter | David Molk
RG J.R Sweezy | Rex Hadnot | Steve Schilling
RT Michael Oher | Kevin Haslam


DEFENSE

LDE Kendall Reyes | Luis Castillo | Martin Vaughn
NT Antonio Garay | Cam Thomas | Aubrayo Franklin
RDE Corey Liuget | Jaques Cesaire | Damik Scafe
OLB Shaun Phillips | Jarret Johnson | Larry English
MLB Takeo Spikes | Jonas Mouton
MLB Donald Butler | Demorrio Williams
OLB O'Brien Schofield | Antwan Barnes | Gary Guyton
RCB Brandon Carr | Antoine Cason | Chris Carr
FS Eric Weddle | Corey Lynch
SS Atari Bigby | Brandon Taylor | Darrell Stuckey
LCB Quenti Jammer | Marcus Gilchrist


SPECIAL TEAMS

K Nick Novak
P Mike Scifres
LS Mike Windt

TRADES

Chargers get Brandon Carr CB
Cowboys get Jared Gaither OT + Shareece Wright

Chargers get Michael Oher
Baltimore get Melvin Ingram OLB + Jeromey Clary

Chargers get JR. Sweezy OG
Seahwks get R6/169

Chargers get Chriss Snee OG + David Wilson RB
Giants get Antonio Gates TE + Luis Vasquez OG + Ryan Matthews RB

Chargers get O'Brien Schofield OLB
Arizona get Antoine Cason CB + Robert Meachem WR

DRAFT PICKS

R1/11
R2/45
R3/76
R4/107
R5/138
R7205
__________________



Hard to like any of those trades....
_________________


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft thoughts Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
DTMW78 wrote:
I'm taking part in a Mock draft game as the Chargers GM on another site.
Just wanted some thoughts on what I've done so far and what direction I should take in the draft.
No free agency so I made a few trades which are listed at the bottom of the depth chart.

OFFENSE

QB Philip Rivers | Charlie Whitehurst
RB David Wilson | Ronnie Brown | Jackie Battle | Curtis Brinkley | Edwin Baker
FB Le'Ron McClain
TE Randy McMichael | Dante Rosario | Ladarius Green
WR Danario Alexander | Eddie Royal | Mike Willie
WR Malcom Floyd | Vincent Brown | Micheal Spurlock
LT Mike Harris
LG Chris Snee | Tyronne Green | Brandyn Dombrowski
C Nick Hardwick | Colin Baxter | David Molk
RG J.R Sweezy | Rex Hadnot | Steve Schilling
RT Michael Oher | Kevin Haslam


DEFENSE

LDE Kendall Reyes | Luis Castillo | Martin Vaughn
NT Antonio Garay | Cam Thomas | Aubrayo Franklin
RDE Corey Liuget | Jaques Cesaire | Damik Scafe
OLB Shaun Phillips | Jarret Johnson | Larry English
MLB Takeo Spikes | Jonas Mouton
MLB Donald Butler | Demorrio Williams
OLB O'Brien Schofield | Antwan Barnes | Gary Guyton
RCB Brandon Carr | Antoine Cason | Chris Carr
FS Eric Weddle | Corey Lynch
SS Atari Bigby | Brandon Taylor | Darrell Stuckey
LCB Quenti Jammer | Marcus Gilchrist


SPECIAL TEAMS

K Nick Novak
P Mike Scifres
LS Mike Windt

TRADES

Chargers get Brandon Carr CB
Cowboys get Jared Gaither OT + Shareece Wright

Chargers get Michael Oher
Baltimore get Melvin Ingram OLB + Jeromey Clary

Chargers get JR. Sweezy OG
Seahwks get R6/169

Chargers get Chriss Snee OG + David Wilson RB
Giants get Antonio Gates TE + Luis Vasquez OG + Ryan Matthews RB

Chargers get O'Brien Schofield OLB
Arizona get Antoine Cason CB + Robert Meachem WR

DRAFT PICKS

R1/11
R2/45
R3/76
R4/107
R5/138
R7205
__________________



Hard to like any of those trades....


What don't you like about them?

I didn't want to give up Ingram but I wasn't a fan of him coming out of college.
Oher is a lot better than clarey at rt.
Gates is getting up there in age and his numbers have been declining over the past couple of years and there are some good TE in this year's draft.
Snee is a pro-bowl guard and I think Wilson has a very bright future indeed plus Matthews can't stay healthy long enough to be productive.

I will be updating this as I go so any feedback would be appreciated.
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17353
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Oher is better than Clary, but so is anybody else that wants to try and play RT. Nobody is going to take him in trade with his salary. It's also not worth giving up a young pass rusher, just to trade for another one.

Cason is a FA, so no trade there.

I'd much rather draft a RB than get rid of Gates. NY isn't trading Wilson with Bradshaw falling apart either.

Jaques Cesaire retired.

I would be happy with the Brandon Carr trade, but there isn't a team in the league that would take Gaither after the entire team turned on him.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xero


Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the RM trade...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 24418
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why those types of trades are made considering nothing like that would ever happen in the NFL.
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Sure Oher is better than Clary, but so is anybody else that wants to try and play RT. Nobody is going to take him in trade with his salary. It's also not worth giving up a young pass rusher, just to trade for another one.

Cason is a FA, so no trade there.

I'd much rather draft a RB than get rid of Gates. NY isn't trading Wilson with Bradshaw falling apart either.

Jaques Cesaire retired.

I would be happy with the Brandon Carr trade, but there isn't a team in the league that would take Gaither after the entire team turned on him.


All free agents stay with their team in this game.

I read on here how bad Clarey was so he was my priority to upgrade or move on, I thought Oher who is a solid young tackle would be a great start in upgrading the o-line.
Ingram would fit better in a 4-3 imo.

I thought Rosario looked good at TE when Gates was hurt, do you guys think he could be Gates eventual replacement?

I thought I got a great deal for Gaither as Carr is a very good corner.

I know the trades are not very realistic but they never are in these games imo.
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JammerHammer21


Joined: 27 Dec 2009
Posts: 24418
Location: Anywhere
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oher still sucks, just not as much as Clary.

Rosario might not be back with the team, he had one game, sucked the rest.

The Dallas Gm has to be an idiot for taking Gaither.
_________________

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Oher still sucks, just not as much as Clary.

Rosario might not be back with the team, he had one game, sucked the rest.

The Dallas Gm has to be an idiot for taking Gaither.


Oher shut down Von Miller in the playoffs the other week.
So I should be looking to draft a TE.
Agree on your last point.
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 22858
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gates is slowing down, sure, but even in his lessened condition he's still a superior TE to half those starting in the league. And yes, it's a fairly deep class in terms of dynamic receiving TE's, but very few of them have pro-ready blocking ability to step in Day One as a starter (so by trading Gates, if you're going to replace him with one of the few that can block and be as dynamic - or have the ceiling to be as dynamic - you're committing to investing a premium pick in a position that wasn't a very large need to begin with).

Any time you trade a previous year's 1st round pick it's not only unrealistic but just dumb. OK, you may not have liked the player coming out of college, but the team that selected him did. You also traded a premium position to acquire lesser premium positions.

Even more unrealistic is the cap ramifications of this. Trading away Meachem and Gaither (on top of taking on Brandon Carr's salary) eliminates 80% of the teams 2013 cap space, which makes it incredibly difficult to conceivably extend Butler or Liuget... or the newly acquired Oher (who will be coming up for due-extension not long after 2013).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Gates is slowing down, sure, but even in his lessened condition he's still a superior TE to half those starting in the league. And yes, it's a fairly deep class in terms of dynamic receiving TE's, but very few of them have pro-ready blocking ability to step in Day One as a starter (so by trading Gates, if you're going to replace him with one of the few that can block and be as dynamic - or have the ceiling to be as dynamic - you're committing to investing a premium pick in a position that wasn't a very large need to begin with).

Any time you trade a previous year's 1st round pick it's not only unrealistic but just dumb. OK, you may not have liked the player coming out of college, but the team that selected him did. You also traded a premium position to acquire lesser premium positions.

Even more unrealistic is the cap ramifications of this. Trading away Meachem and Gaither (on top of taking on Brandon Carr's salary) eliminates 80% of the teams 2013 cap space, which makes it incredibly difficult to conceivably extend Butler or Liuget... or the newly acquired Oher (who will be coming up for due-extension not long after 2013).


I take your point on Ingram, but I figured that upgrading the o-line and keeping Rivers on his feet would be more important than Ingram.

Also no cap in this game, just gotta try and improve your roster.

My pick is otc but Joeckel , Fisher and Warmack all gone who do you go with?

I'm looking to move back and get some extra picks.
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 22858
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Gates is slowing down, sure, but even in his lessened condition he's still a superior TE to half those starting in the league. And yes, it's a fairly deep class in terms of dynamic receiving TE's, but very few of them have pro-ready blocking ability to step in Day One as a starter (so by trading Gates, if you're going to replace him with one of the few that can block and be as dynamic - or have the ceiling to be as dynamic - you're committing to investing a premium pick in a position that wasn't a very large need to begin with).

Any time you trade a previous year's 1st round pick it's not only unrealistic but just dumb. OK, you may not have liked the player coming out of college, but the team that selected him did. You also traded a premium position to acquire lesser premium positions.

Even more unrealistic is the cap ramifications of this. Trading away Meachem and Gaither (on top of taking on Brandon Carr's salary) eliminates 80% of the teams 2013 cap space, which makes it incredibly difficult to conceivably extend Butler or Liuget... or the newly acquired Oher (who will be coming up for due-extension not long after 2013).


I take your point on Ingram, but I figured that upgrading the o-line and keeping Rivers on his feet would be more important than Ingram.

Also no cap in this game, just gotta try and improve your roster.

My pick is otc but Joeckel , Fisher and Warmack all gone who do you go with?

I'm looking to move back and get some extra picks.

Well considering you traded away any viable long-term edge-rusher we had, you might look there if you can't trade back - though I doubt Werner is still available. I'm not particularly big on Jarvis Jones, but he's a viable option. And the value's not fantastic for Keke Mingo or Dion Jordan, but they're decent options as well.

Best bet is to try and trade back a few spots and target Lane Johnson (likely have to stay ahead of the Rams, though they could look WR first). And if you can't get Johnson, I'd be looking REALLY heavily at Dallas Thomas in the 2nd round.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DTMW78


Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 771
Location: Birmingham - England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:

Well considering you traded away any viable long-term edge-rusher we had, you might look there if you can't trade back - though I doubt Werner is still available. I'm not particularly big on Jarvis Jones, but he's a viable option. And the value's not fantastic for Keke Mingo or Dion Jordan, but they're decent options as well.

Best bet is to try and trade back a few spots and target Lane Johnson (likely have to stay ahead of the Rams, though they could look WR first). And if you can't get Johnson, I'd be looking REALLY heavily at Dallas Thomas in the 2nd round.


Well I just made another trade......
Chiefs get #11
Chargers get #33+#127+Brandon Albert.
That completes my o-line.

Albert. Snee. Hardwick. Sweezey. Oher

Looks solid to me and way better than what i had.

Thinking pass rush / tight end with #33
_________________

^^^^
Stone 85 on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanitizer


Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the 2013 draft class on Madden?
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DerekBrink


Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 378
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no way a team makes 5 big trades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group