Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RPM's "Double Down" Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: RPM's "Double Down" Mock Reply with quote

**Disclaimer** This is what I would love to see from our front office and in no way what I expect to happen

Players Returning
DE - Jared Allen - 4 years, AAV ~10.69M
OT - Phil Loadholt - 5 years, AAV ~4.5M
SS - Jamarca Sanford - 3 years, AAV ~2.5M
FB - Jerome Felton - 3 years, AAV ~2.0M
LB - Marvin Mitchell - 2 years, AAV ~ 900K
LB - Jasper Brinkley - 1 year, 1.15M - Prove it deal.
CB - AJ Jefferson - RoFR Tender, 1.26M
OT - Troy Kropog - RoFR Tender, 1.26M
CB - Marcus Sherels - ERFA Tender
S - Andrew Sendejo - ERFA Tender

DT - Kevin Williams - Restructures ~ cap hit lowered by $3M

Analysis: Jared Allen signs a four year contract extension that will take him to the age of 35 years old. He managed 12 sacks this season playing with a torn shoulder labrum. The guy can still play and I would love to see him end his career in purple. This deal also lowers his cap from $17M down to around $10M which gives the Vikings more cash to play with. Phil Loadholt is rewarded with a contract extension that pays him slightly less annually than the top players at his position. Jamarca Sanford was a good find in the 7th round. His defensive game has come a long way and he’s an excellent special teamer. Jerome Felton was a key reason for Adrian’s successful season and is rewarded with a contract that pays him comparably to the best at his position. Marvin Mitchell is retained due to his ability to play in the middle and on the weakside. Jasper Brinkley just got done with his first year as a starter. I don’t see the Vikings letting him go with no backup plan in the stable. Maybe he’s a camp cut. Jefferson and Kropog are kept on their RFA tenders; the same goes for Sherels and Sendejo on their ERFA tenders. Kevin Williams converts $6M of his $8M base salary into a signing bonus which leaves him with a $5M cap hit in 2013, and $11M in 2014.

Players Leaving
WR - Jerome Simpson - UFA
WR - Michael Jenkins - Cut - Due large roster bonus in March
WR - Devin Aromashodu - UFA
OL - Geoff Schwartz - UFA - Signed as a starter elsewhere
OL - Joe Berger - UFA
LB - Erin Henderson - UFA - Offered a more lucrative deal elsewhere

Analysis: The receiver overhaul begins. Jerome Simpson and Michael Jenkins could be back IMO. Simpson might get another shot due to being limited early by and injury, or at least PA seems to think so. Jenkins would be a very good veteran presence but he might price himself out with the bonus he’s do. If he re-negotiates he could be back. Geoff Schwartz and Erin Henderson sign more lucrative deals elsewhere to be starters. Joe Berger is another guy that could be brought back but I think that, if Sullivan were to get hurt, Fusco could slide over to center.

Main Free Agent Signings
WR - Greg Jennings - 4 years - AAV ~ 7.25
OL - Brandyn Dombrowski - 2 years - AAV ~ 2.25M
QB - Tyler Thigpen - 2 years - AAV ~1.45M

Analysis: Jennings is the free agent WR that makes the most sense for this team. He’s older than the typical Spielman free agent, but he fits our offense and budget better than the two younger guys. Dombrowski is this year’s Schwartz. Schwartz slipped out of Carolina after a coaching change and Dombrowski does the same here. He’s played every position on the line except for center and will push Charlie Johnson and Brandon Fusco for their starting spots after being healthy this year. He was primarily a guard in college. Thigpen comes in to provide a backup that is similar to Christian and would work well in our system. Obviously there will likely be more signings but these are the important ones IMO.

The Draft
*Vikings send 1st to 49ers for 1st, 3rd (CAR), 5th
*Vikings send 1st (SF) to Buffalo for 2nd, 3rd

Analysis: The 49ers trade up to select Datone Jones after his stellar senior bowl or Sharrif Floyd, and the Bills trade up into the first to make sure they snag Ryan Nassib.

2nd (BUF): Quinton Patton - WR - Louisiana Tech [6’0 - 202]
2nd: Kawann Short - DT - Purdue [6’3 - 308]
3rd (BUF): Jonathan Cyprien - S - FIU [6’0 - 209]
3rd (CAR): Brian Winters - G - Kent State [6’3 - 310]
3rd: Tavarres King - WR - Georgia [6’0 - 196]
4th (DET): Sio Moore - LB - Connecticut [6’0 - 240]
4th: David Bass - DE - Missouri Western [6’3 - 263]
5th: Traded for 2014 4th
5th (SF): Kerwynn Williams - RB/R - Utah State [5’8 - 196]
7th (ARI): Khalid Wooten - CB/R - Nevada [5’11 - 211]
7th: Traded for 2014 6th

Analysis: I can’t think of a better receiver in this draft to study behind Greg Jennings. Patton has very good short area quickness and strength to beat the press. He has polish as a route runner but could use a little bit more. In Short the Vikings are benefactors of a deep DT draft. Short is the perfect disruptive nose for this defense and his drafting allows Guion to move back to the 3-tech. Cyprien benefited from Kenny Vaccaro and DJ Swearinger not going to the senior bowl and he showed that he can be a force on the back end. He showcased good range and tenacity. Winter’s senior bowl started off with his disappointing weigh in as he came in a 6’3, and that forced a move inside to guard. He’s going to take some work, but he’s a mauler and would be a good fit for the Vikings at LG down the road. Tavarres King is a guy that suffered from Aaron Murray spreading the ball around at Georgia. He’s got speed, showed solid hands at the senior bowl, and more polish on his routes than most thought. Sio Moore has the look of a freak athlete. He excels in space and is a tenacious defender. David Bass was a disruptive force at Missouri Western, but he’ll need to hit the NFL weight room. Kerwynn Williams, despite his size, was the best back in blitz pickup at the shrine game. He’s an speed back with tight footwork and the ability to stay “skinny.” Khalid Wooten is another guy who flashed during shrine week. He’s got good hips and speed and showed he has what it takes to be a press slot corner. He could develop into a possible Winfield replacement, but until then he can work to beat out Marcus Sherels as Wooten also has return skills.

Depth Chart
*New Addition
**Former PS player

[23]
QB: Christian Ponder | Tyler Thigpen* | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB: Adrian Peterson | Toby Gerhart | Kerwynn Williams*
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Greg Jennings* | Percy Harvin | Quinton Patton* | Jarius Wright | Tavarres King* | Stephen Burton
TE: Kyle Rudolph | John Carlson | Rhett Ellison
LT: Matt Kalil | DeMarcus Love
LG: Charlie Johnson | Brian Winters*
C: John Sullivan
RG: Brandon Fusco | Brandyn Dombrowski*
RT: Phil Loadholt

[27]
LE: Brian Robison | Everson Griffen
NT: Kawann Short* | Fred Evans
UT: Kevin Williams | Letroy Guion | Christian Ballard
RE: Jared Allen | David Bass*
SAM: Chad Greenway | Larry Dean
MIKE: Jasper Brinkley | Tyrone McKenzie | Audie Cole
WILL: Sio Moore* | Marvin Mitchell
LCB: Antoine Winfield | Josh Robinson | Khalid Wooten*
SS: Johnathan Cyprien | Jamarca Sanford
FS: Harrison Smith | Mistral Raymond | Robert Blanton
RCB: Chris Cook | AJ Jefferson | Bobby Felder**

[3]
K: Blair Walsh
P: Chris Kluwe
LS: Cullen Loeffler

PUP: Greg Childs - WR - (if activated he takes Stephen Burton’s spot)
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that you've retained Brinkley over Henderson, and I'm 100% certain that's what we'll do.

I also like Cyprien out of FIU quite a bit and could see him flying up boards sooner rather than later.

I could live with Thigpen, but my preference would be to somehow acquire Ryan Mallett from New England to back-up a very short leashed Ponder. But that would probably require some sort of package involving a larger deal for Percy Harvin, so I'm comfortable with Thigpen at that point.

Depending on price, I'd also prefer to retain Simpson over somebody like Burton. Obviously, Burton is a great blocker, but his hands are terrible enough that I'd prefer we move on to somebody with a little more overall upside.

Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about keeping Simpson because he was hindered early on last year with suspension and his foot injury. However, I took my queue from Tom Pelissero who seems to think he's gone. That being said, if you talk to Paul Allen he seems to think he will be back.

Either way I have Burton hopefully going when Childs comes off the PUP.

Retaining Brinkley over Henderson makes sense as it was Brinkley's first year as a starter and we can re-sign Marvin Mitchell to do the same things as Henderson for much cheaper.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Greg Childs?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Where is Greg Childs?

Down at the bottom of the depth chart, starts the season on PUP.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
I like the fact that you've retained Brinkley over Henderson, and I'm 100% certain that's what we'll do.

I'm really hoping that we don't retain either, and I'm not really a fan of any mock that involves retaining either, including this one.

That's probably my biggest problem with this particular mock. I want more significant upgrade of our LBs than this.

I'm not really a fan of the Patton pick, either. I like him as a prospect, and I know that he's been performing very well in the Senior Bowl practices, but I feel like there will be better WR options available with the Buffalo pick - like DeAndre Hopkins.

Otherwise, I like Short, Cyprien is good, but again, I think there could be better options available there, Winters is solid, but again, better options, and I'm not a fan of the King pick.

If Harvin is still around, and we bring in a big name Free Agent WR (which I seriously doubt will happen in conjunction), then I'd be pretty shocked if we get even 1 WR in the first 3 rounds let alone 2. With Wright showing that he's a quality receiving option, and with all the other guys there, King would never see the field, ever. That pick is just wasted value, imo.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that argument.

I would like to point out that I don't have Harvin signing an extension as I don't believe he will prior to the season. Drafting another receiver is Harvin insurance.

Wright, despite being impressive, hasn't shown he can play outside. He's shown that he can play Percy Harvin's spot. King is a guy that could be an outside burner like we wanted in Simpson so he brings a different dimension than other receivers.

Cyprien is a guy that could be a second round pick if the right team there needs a safety, so I don't think that there will be better prospects available.

Personal opinion when it comes to Hopkins over Patton. I happen to like Patton better, but it's a coinflip.

What better options did you have in mind for Cyprien and Winter's slots?
Sector7G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
Where is Greg Childs?

Down at the bottom of the depth chart, starts the season on PUP.

Sorry, I completely missed it Laughing

Time to change the contacts.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I would like to point out that I don't have Harvin signing an extension as I don't believe he will prior to the season. Drafting another receiver is Harvin insurance.

I can kind of see this, though I'd say that Wright is already our Harvin insurance, but I disagree with using such a high pick on a receiver in this case. Also if Harvin refuses to sign an extension, then I think the team would have a hard time justifying not trading him, especially if we go big in free agency and plan use our top pick on a WR.

Quote:

Wright, despite being impressive, hasn't shown he can play outside. He's shown that he can play Percy Harvin's spot. King is a guy that could be an outside burner like we wanted in Simpson so he brings a different dimension than other receivers.

But we would already have Jennings and Patton on the outside, so again, he wouldn't see the field enough to justify using such a high pick on him. We could get a similar rotational guy much later in the draft, and use that valuable high 3rd on a LB to replace Brinkley (who absolutely should not be brought back).

Quote:

Personal opinion when it comes to Hopkins over Patton. I happen to like Patton better, but it's a coinflip.

I can see this.

Quote:
What better options did you have in mind for Cyprien and Winter's slots?

CBSsports has Tony Jefferson, Baccari Rambo, and T.J. McDonald as 3rd round prospects at this point. They also have Shawn Williams as a 4rth round prospect, and Cyprien as a 4-5th round prospect. Cyprien has raised his value with a solid week of Senior Bowl practices, but I'd say that Tony Jefferson is better value for sure and Rambo and McDonald are arguably better.

As for Winter, Alvin Bailey should be available there. Or better yet, instead of using a high pick on Patton when we already have a ton of other WR options on the roster, we could take Larry Warford and use that 3rd on a WR, like Cobi Hamilton, Da'Rick Rogers, or even Robert Woods or Justin Hunter. Or even better yet, take Warford and then use the Buffalo and Carolina thirds to move back into the 2nd (since I really doubt that the FO would want to add 9 rookies to the team anyway), and take Patton or Hopkins.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put any stock in CBS' rankings. McDonald and Rambo were outclassed greatly by Cyprien this week. Both of them have rather slow feet and, as a USC fan, McDonald guesses a lot. When he's right he looks fantastic but when he's wrong he gets way out of position. He's far to high cut as well.

Rambo is indecisive and his feet tend to plod. I think Cyprien is only low at this point because he's from FIU and scouting sites haven't looked at his film.

Again, it's all my opinion Smile

I also initially had Warford in Patton's spot and the Vikings trading up in the 2nd to get Patton, but I felt DT and WR was a bigger need that G and WR. Due to the deep DT class there will be a good one at our 2nd rounder. It could go either way though.
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you've noted about Cyprien is spot on and IMO, anybody that is preferring Rambo or McDonald over Cyprien is simply preferring a name.

Lil Uno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked Cyprien for some time now and the Senior Bowl reinforced my opinion. Would love to add him next to Harrison Smith.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer Brown or Ogletree with our first pick... but other than that I love this mock. Good work.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
Everything you've noted about Cyprien is spot on and IMO, anybody that is preferring Rambo or McDonald over Cyprien is simply preferring a name.

In the defense of those who do want Rambo, can you blame us for wanting him because of a name? Very Happy
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:

In the defense of those who do want Rambo, can you blame us for wanting him because of a name? Very Happy

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: