Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2013 NFL Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Jordan's lack of production concerns me. I've only seen Oregon play a few times, but it seems to me given Oregon's offensive explosiveness that Jordan would be in a position to T off and rush the passer for most of most games, and as such should have had far more than 5 sacks. While I'm sure he could be a JPP type, I much prefer pass rushers to produce in college, I feel like the odds of success are much better. Also his frame concerns me, he's built like a basketball player, and doesn't seem to have the body type to add weight. (He looks every part of 6'7 but closer to 230 if that than 240.) He could struggle mightily against the run, and for that matter when rushing the passer should a lineman be able to get his hands on him.

Jordan doesn't have the production comparable to other pass rushers at the collegiate level because of the role he plays on defense. He starts at 'drop end' for the Ducks... and as the name indicates, he does a lot of dropping into coverage. He lines up on slot receivers, mans up on TEs at the LOS, and also pass rushes. It's probably close to a 50/50 split on when he rushes the passer vs when he drops into coverage on passing downs. He is a dynamite pass rusher... when he's utilized in that capacity. The thing that is so intriguing about him is his versatility in coverage... with his length and experience in coverage he can be used out of the gates to both rush the passer along with cover some of these huge TEs.

Along with the fact that he sees less pass rushing opportunities, you also have to consider that he was recruited by the Ducks to play TE... he didn't switch over to DE until later in his collegiate career, so he did have a little bit of a learning curve last season. But Jordan hasn't earned All PAC-12 the past two seasons for no reason. Opposing coaches know just how difficult it is to gameplan against his talents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

Jordan's lack of production concerns me. I've only seen Oregon play a few times, but it seems to me given Oregon's offensive explosiveness that Jordan would be in a position to T off and rush the passer for most of most games, and as such should have had far more than 5 sacks. While I'm sure he could be a JPP type, I much prefer pass rushers to produce in college, I feel like the odds of success are much better. Also his frame concerns me, he's built like a basketball player, and doesn't seem to have the body type to add weight. (He looks every part of 6'7 but closer to 230 if that than 240.) He could struggle mightily against the run, and for that matter when rushing the passer should a lineman be able to get his hands on him.

Jordan doesn't have the production comparable to other pass rushers at the collegiate level because of the role he plays on defense. He starts at 'drop end' for the Ducks... and as the name indicates, he does a lot of dropping into coverage. He lines up on slot receivers, mans up on TEs at the LOS, and also pass rushes. It's probably close to a 50/50 split on when he rushes the passer vs when he drops into coverage on passing downs. He is a dynamite pass rusher... when he's utilized in that capacity. The thing that is so intriguing about him is his versatility in coverage... with his length and experience in coverage he can be used out of the gates to both rush the passer along with cover some of these huge TEs.

Along with the fact that he sees less pass rushing opportunities, you also have to consider that he was recruited by the Ducks to play TE... he didn't switch over to DE until later in his collegiate career, so he did have a little bit of a learning curve last season. But Jordan hasn't earned All PAC-12 the past two seasons for no reason. Opposing coaches know just how difficult it is to gameplan against his talents.

Oregon is also famous for pulling their starters early in the 2nd half against overmatched opponents to get the backups some live reps and game experience. I'm sure his stats would be better if he had gotten an extra 150 snaps each season.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking.

If Ed leaves via/retirement or to the Pats Mad, I think it's two options we should consider:

Signing Louis Delmas or Dashon Goldson (not really in favor of signing Goldson...gonna want a lot of money but it depends)

Or...

I have this funny feeling Kenny Vaccaro will be there at 31/32. Please lord let this happen Pray

At this point these are my players I want at the moment in the 1st:

1. Manti Te'o
2. Lane Johnson
3. Kenny Vaccaro
4. De'Andre Hopkins or Cordarrelle Patterson
5. Datone Jones

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are everyone's thoughts on Tony Jefferson, he would be available in round 2, and could start from day 1 at free safety if needed.
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Minter is my favorite ILB in the draft. If him or even Arthur Brown are on the board at 32, I'd snatch em up.
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on Tony Jefferson, he would be available in round 2, and could start from day 1 at free safety if needed.

Him and Bacarri Rambo are my 2 favorite FS prospects. I'd be happy with either of them, even though Rambo could probably be had in the 3rd.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

I like Jefferson quite a bit, but I like TJ McDonald too.

Jefferson appears to be better in coverage and a better tackler, but McDonald is a bit bigger and has a knack for blocking punts like Reed did when he was younger.

Jefferson would probably have to be the pick at #32 if we want him, because I can't see him sliding to the end of the 2nd, but I'm not sure he's worth that pick. McDonald should be available at the end of round 2 unless there is a crazy run on S in the early part of the draft.

I'm not sure either one is a guaranteed starter from the jump, but they would both be useful in nickel and dime packages while they earn their bones.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

Jefferson appears to be better in coverage and a better tackler, but McDonald is a bit bigger and has a knack for blocking punts like Reed did when he was younger.

Jefferson would probably have to be the pick at #32 if we want him, because I can't see him sliding to the end of the 2nd, but I'm not sure he's worth that pick. McDonald should be available at the end of round 2 unless there is a crazy run on S in the early part of the draft.

I'm not sure either one is a guaranteed starter from the jump, but they would both be useful in nickel and dime packages while they earn their bones.

I'm not a fan of taking a safety in round 1, personally. I think there are much more impactful positions that will have better value.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

Unless he runs out of his mind at the combine, Jefferson should be there at 64. More broadly though, I think our draft priority should be speed in the front 7 of our defense.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Unless he runs out of his mind at the combine, Jefferson should be there at 64. More broadly though, I think our draft priority should be speed in the front 7 of our defense.

Now this, we can both agree on.

Why do you guys think that I've been hyping up Arthur Brown so much? The guy can chase down a Gazelle if they put it in the backfield.

So many pass rushers have 'emerged' in this draft process that I'm thinking someone will definitely be falling pretty low.

We're also probably in prime position for a team looking to trade into day 1 if they see someone falling.

In terms of safety. Like I said, I only really like Matt Elam... but I'm not really a fan of going safety in round 1. If Elam falls to the 2nd, I'd LOVE to trade up for him- if Reed isn't brought back. That said, I expect Reed to be brought back. So I'll scratch safety off my list of needs until its official that Reed isn't back.

ILB, LT, and ET are my top positions we should look to address. It's going to be tough because we're going to have to decide between one of those two in the first two rounds. ATM, I'm thinking that going with the first two just might be the best way to go... as I think there are a ton of freakish pass rushing talents in this draft, but after the top 4 ILBs and the 2nd tier of LTs... I think their just might be a huge dropoff.

A guy like Michael Buchanan could probably be had in the 3rd round and he's a talent. Chase Thomas could fall some.

Also just to throw it out there... if we lose out on Ellerbe, I'd still love to double dip at ILB and bring in Brown/Klein. McClain is the definition of average and while I like Bynes... I think the above interior could be a top 3 unit in the NFL... by the end of their rookie season together- I'm that high on both players.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only safeties I really like are Rambo and Cyprien. Rambo has instincts that you just can't teach.

Edit: Like Boyett a lot too. Gotta learn more about his injury. Think Robert Lester could be a solid player.

Free Ray Rice
mcdni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester is a hard read. He stunk during Senior Bowl week but he looks ok from what I have seen on film.

I would still like TJ McDonald if he was available in the 3rd. I think he is better than what I saw at USC over the last year as the USC secondary was just a mess and as such Sanders (the secondary coach) and Monte Kiffin (the DC) have been effectively fired because of it.

I see a lot of Ed in TJ from body type to being all over the field. TJ doesn't quite have Ed's instincts or Ed's range in his earlier years but I think if he was there in the 3rd he would be amazing value.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a few pages ago, but nobody responded... so now that we're on the topic of safeties, thoughts on DJ Swearinger? From the film I've seen, while he's not exactly a true FS, I think he has enough skills to play FS in our system and IMO, he plays like a Raven.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright folks, I don't follow draft prospects much so I'll just pose this question to you. Who are possible left tackle prospects we could take in Round 1 or 2? Anyone who could drop to a spot where we'd be getting great value? If McKinnie doesn't come back, I think solidifying LT through the draft becomes a potential priority.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's three LT prospects who are going at least top 20(Joeckel, L. Johnson, Fisher). Then there is Oday Aboushi who has 31" inch arms and got abused at the Senior Bowl. Terron Armstead is an interesting prospect. Super athletic. Has the size. Small school prospect and probably a 3rd or 4th rounder. D.J. Fluker could be a candidate to flip to LT. Monster wing span and strong as hell but he probably doesn't have the foot speed to go against speed rushers.

Menelik Watson plays RT now because I think he is fairly new to football. But he was good at RT and has reportedly ran a 4.7 and played college basketball. So he has elite athleticism and may be able to play LT when he has some more experience in the sport.

The super sleeper is Chris Faulk. A really athletic 320+ with long arms. I thought he was a top 5 pick before he got injured and now he is probably a 3rd rounder at best. I don't know the extent of his injury but he would be a monster steal if he returns to his Sophomore form.

LaAdrian Waddle could be a decent late round pick.

Free Ray Rice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 20 of 38

Jump to: