Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Offseason mock post Spags firing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: New Offseason mock post Spags firing Reply with quote

Cut:

Will Smith - Save $11.5M by doing so
Jonathan Vilma - Save 6.1M by doing so
Roman Harper - Save 5M by doing so
Will Herring - Save 1.73M by doing so

Let go:

Ellis - Save 7.57M
Henderon - Save 3.25M
Shanle - 2.25M

Total savings: 37.39M.

Due to us being over the cap by 14.5M already, we have to adjust:

37.39-14.5M = 22.89M in cap space.

Re-Signing:

LT Bushrod: As much as I'd like to upgrade, we need him. Re-sign him to a new contract for 3 years. Give him a $1.5M raise.

All RFA's: Signing all our RFA's to a new deal. Lets say collectively we give them a $6M raise.

TE Graham: Need to keep our superstar TE around. 5/45.

Personnel:

Hire Steelers LB Coach Keith Butler as DC:
Worked under LeBeau and Tomlin for a long time. He should know how to run a D. He's also had a big hand in coaching up guys like Farrior, Woodley and Timmons. I think he'd be a great addition.

Trades:

Chris Ivory to the Jets for 4th round pick: They need a RB, we need the picks. I love Ivory but combine his injury issues and the fact that we have 3 RB on the roster ahead of him most of the time. Good luck to him.

New Orleans Saints 1st + Saints 4th for Bengals 1st and Bengals 2nd: Bengals trade up for the LB they want(either Ogletree or Brown) with their own second. They have an extra one from the Palmer trade so they still have a 2nd round pick. They also receive our own 4th.

Free Agency:

CB Cary Williams: We need a CB. He's a good one. Good cover skills and a good attitude. 3/16.

WR Austin Collie: More depth at WR isn't a bad thing. He's shown to be able to perform well in the past. 1/4.

Draft:

1.) S Kenny Vaccaro: A really nice safety prospect. Really good in coverage, good tackling and good in run support. Can play SS, FS and CB. That sort of versatility with the ability to cover slot receivers and athletic TE's among others would really help our porous secondary.

2.) OLB Chase Thomas: I know people will be asking why we're overlooking Dion Jordan for a guy like Thomas, but let me explain. This guy is an underrated OLB prospect. While he may not be the athletic stud Dion Jordan is, he's far more polished. He's got a wide array of pass rush moves that he can use, he's a smart football player with a good football IQ and he can drop into coverage. He's an starter for us and can give us pass rush right away.

3.) DT Kwame Geathers: With Bunkley most probably starting, we need some quality young depth. Geathers gives us that. Good against the run and an OK pass rusher.

4.) OLB Michael Buchanen: We pick up more depth at OLB. Great athlete with some pass rush ability. Had a down season for Illinois, but still should give us some good depth.

5.) OT Chris Faulk: LSU O-linemen who has injured this year. Before that he looked good and a potential LT prospect. We take him and hope he develops.

7.) QB Jordan Rodgers: Aaron's little brother, we take him to develop.

UDFA: TE Ben Cotton

QB: Brees/Daniels/Rodgers
RB: Ingram/Thomas/Sproles
FB: Collins
TE: Graham/Thomas/Cotton
WR: Colston/Moore/Toon/Collie/Morgan/Roby
OT: Bushrod/Faulk
OG: Grubbs
OC: De La Puenta
OG: Evans/Olsen
OT: Brown/Jones

DE: Jordan
NT: Bunkley/Geathers
DT: Hicks/Johnson

OLB: Junior/Buchanen
ILB: Lofton/Casillas
ILB: Hawthorne/Chamberlain
OLB: Wilson/Thomas

CB: Greer/Robinson/Patrick
CB: Williams/Mack/White
SS: Jenkins/Bush
FS: Vaccaro/IAQ

K: Hartley
P: Morstead

Thoughts?

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock. My favorite part was all the cuts. I really want all those players gone.

Edit: Don't want to trade Ivory Sad

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Offseason mock post Spags firing Reply with quote

My boy CS puttin in work, I like it!

Here's the thing...

Many of us on here at one point or another mentioned that Hicks was talented enough to build our defense around. Well, the way I see it the way we approach the draft will be a direct result from how our new DC views Hicks in his scheme. It all will start with Hicks. If the new DC see Hicks as more of a NT in his scheme, I think it would be hard to pass on a guy like Sheldon Richardson or Jesse Williams to play the LE position. If the new DC views Hicks as a LE in his scheme then maybe Bunkley stays and plays NT and it opens up the board to the BAP.

Time will tell... Im extremly excited about the switch but we need to wait and see who SP chooses at DC before we can get a better indication on which way he might sort out the personnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cry if We get rid of Ivory. Me think Thomas is the odd man out.

Anyways, I'd go after John Simon before Chase. He's like Brees at OLB...Smart, got a never ending motor and a workout freak. I want those kind of guys as our LBers.

I think IAQ has shown he needs to play. He's fine in my book; no need to draft Vacarro. Not too sure about trading with the Bengals. If we do, it'd need to be for Hankins. I think we need to see what tools we have at OLB and how Wilson/Junyah play off the edge. I don't think we need a DE or an OLB...I think we need to get a better NT or ILB. Remember, we are going to get nasty with teams now, so we need hard punishing guys in the inside. that's just my $0.02

Major props to a fine American, Uncle Buck.

The CHAMPS are going back to form! WHODAT!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
I'd cry if We get rid of Ivory. Me think Thomas is the odd man out.

Anyways, I'd go after John Simon before Chase. He's like Brees at OLB...Smart, got a never ending motor and a workout freak. I want those kind of guys as our LBers.

I think IAQ has shown he needs to play. He's fine in my book; no need to draft Vacarro. Not too sure about trading with the Bengals. If we do, it'd need to be for Hankins. I think we need to see what tools we have at OLB and how Wilson/Junyah play off the edge. I don't think we need a DE or an OLB...I think we need to get a better NT or ILB. Remember, we are going to get nasty with teams now, so we need hard punishing guys in the inside. that's just my $0.02

I can't believe imma bout to say this but ol T-Raves will love it... If Hankins is on the board, I don't see the Saints passing him.

I hated Hankins in a 43 front but in a 34 the dude gots BJ Ragi type skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the move, although I was one to say "stick with Spags for at least another year."

The D is better suited for a 3-4 scheme, 4-3 with our personnel was always a reach I thought.

CS, I like the thought put into your mock. I really think PT is the odd man out... and actually I can see Ivory going too if the offer is right. I also see us snatching up Xavier Rhodes at 15 if he's still available.

As for UDFA, I'd like us to get that kicker from UL-Lafeyette to compete with Hartley.

^NS922 on the sig^
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Like the move, although I was one to say "stick with Spags for at least another year."

The D is better suited for a 3-4 scheme, 4-3 with our personnel was always a reach I thought.

CS, I like the thought put into your mock. I really think PT is the odd man out... and actually I can see Ivory going too if the offer is right. I also see us snatching up Xavier Rhodes at 15 if he's still available.

As for UDFA, I'd like us to get that kicker from UL-Lafeyette to compete with Hartley.

So did I, I'm man enough to admit it.

Major props to a fine American, Uncle Buck.

The CHAMPS are going back to form! WHODAT!
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try respond to everyone in this post.

1.) Out of Ivory, Sproles, Ingram and PT, Ivory is the most obvious to be traded imo. The coaches LOVE PT. His ability to play in all situations, and mix in with the fact that he doesn't complain about playing time, and always battle, he'll be kept. Ingram has shown the ability to run between tackles really well last season. Sproles is far too useful in the passing game for us to let him go. Then add in Ivory's injruy issue. He'll be traded imo.

2.) On Hicks. I think Hicks will line up as the DT in the 3-4. I honestly think he could be a Holati Ngata-lite type role for us. Ability to pressure the QB and collapse the pocket, while stopping the run. I think at NT he'd be wasted. He has the potential to be a big part of our D if we get the right DC.

3.) I guess we'd have to disagree. I love Chase because he's so underrated. Multiple pass rush moves and counter moves, really high football IQ, can drop into coverage and a decent open field tackler. Only thing holding him back is average-above average athleticism. I think he'll be effective as an OLB. He's a guy who can come in and help right away in my opinion.

4.) I think Vaccaro would be a great addition to this team. I think we all know if Jenkins doesn't show enough this season, there is a decent chance he isn't on the team next season. Vaccaro has the versatility to play in both FS and SS well. So if IAQ can show on a consistent basis that he's a good and solid option at FS, fine, move Vaccaro to SS and have a really good S pairing. Jenkins go to nickle CB and we get deeper at CB. I don't want to hand a guy a job. Let him earn it.

5.) Only reason I think we won't take Hankins is because Bunkley has had some really good success as a 3-4 NT. With the lack of picks and free agents, spending an asset on a position that isn't a need wouldn't be smart in my opinion.

6.) The only reason I don't see us taking a CB that high is because of how many non-stud CB's make an impact first season. The goal next season is superbowl absolutely. I'm not sure Rhodes can have the same impact as say a guy like Williams will.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
wow_junky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with a draft like this (with the dream that we get our 2nd rounder back):

r1 - Sheldon Richardson, Missouri, DT/DE
r2 - David Amerson, NC State, CB
r3 - Sean Porter, Texas A&M, OLB
r4 - Gerald Hodges, Penn State, ILB
r5 - Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin, OT
r6 - Kwame Geathers, Georgia, NT

Lots of potential for us to get youth and grab a star on the defensive side of the ball.

I don't see us signing any big name free agents this year, just re-signing the guys we need to (Bushrod, Galette, extending Graham).
WorldWonder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
3.) I guess we'd have to disagree. I love Chase because he's so underrated. Multiple pass rush moves and counter moves, really high football IQ, can drop into coverage and a decent open field tackler. Only thing holding him back is average-above average athleticism. I think he'll be effective as an OLB. He's a guy who can come in and help right away in my opinion.

From all the scouts at the Senior Bowl to the wanna be scouts in the Senior Bowl thread on FF's, everyone agrees he looks very, very stiff and out of place. We will have to see how he looks during the bowl game and combine, but everyone has been less than enthusiastic about his performance thus far.

Take that for what you will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: