Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In for the Long Haul?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:
LT is an important position but I have an extremely hard time spending 10-12 million a year for any position other than a QB.

If Long is asking for that much, then letting him walk makes sense. What wouldn't make sense is why didn't they unload him last year when he had trade value. But I agree, 10-12 million is too much. I don't think Long will make that much this coming season, but we shall see.

He wants 12. He would probably settle for 10. I'd give him 8, or 12 with little guaranteed.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:
LT is an important position but I have an extremely hard time spending 10-12 million a year for any position other than a QB.

If Long is asking for that much, then letting him walk makes sense. What wouldn't make sense is why didn't they unload him last year when he had trade value. But I agree, 10-12 million is too much. I don't think Long will make that much this coming season, but we shall see.

He wants 12. He would probably settle for 10. I'd give him 8, or 12 with little guaranteed.

12 is posturing. He knows he won't get 12 anywhere. What he ends up with is yet to be seen, but I'd guess under 10 whether it be with the Phins or not.

The deal will also, almost certainly, be heavily back loaded so the average appears in the 10-12 range, but he won't ever see the final year(s) of the deal.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Dolphin Dave wrote:

12 is posturing. He knows he won't get 12 anywhere. What he ends up with is yet to be seen, but I'd guess under 10 whether it be with the Phins or not.

The deal will also, almost certainly, be heavily back loaded so the average appears in the 10-12 range, but he won't ever see the final year(s) of the deal.

Couple of years in the 8 to 9 million range then cut or trade him before it jumps to 14 - 16 million a years?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Deuces Jake. Go take your injury prone, overpaid behind to Oakland to you and Sparano can pal around again and we can watch both of you go down in flames once again.

"Hey Tony, you just hot hired by the Raiders...

"Hey Tony, the Dolphins let Jake Long test Free Agency"

"Hey Tony, he wants 13 million a year"

"Hey Tony, JAke got hurt week 12"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131467/article/report-dolphins-jake-long-looking-for-10m-per-year

Looks like he wants 10M. He is probably going to test the market.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131467/article/report-dolphins-jake-long-looking-for-10m-per-year

Looks like he wants 10M. He is probably going to test the market.

Bye Jake, thanks for your time as a Dolphin....lets not get emotional about this, we had some good times, but this is what is best for all of us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See ya.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Long has turned into that girlfriend that you have been in a relationship with for years. You realize that shes not the one after at first thinking she was. You want to break it off but there is so much time invested, your getting ready to tell her its over and she comes to you saying now she wants a diamond ring and wants to be married to your forever. Grow a pair pal, end it now.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
SUG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Jake Long has turned into that girlfriend that you have been in a relationship with for years. You realize that shes not the one after at first thinking she was. You want to break it off but there is so much time invested, your getting ready to tell her its over and she comes to you saying now she wants a diamond ring and wants to be married to your forever. Grow a pair pal, end it now.

You are correct Maddogg but Ireland/Philbin cannot allow this to happen again.
I know now "we have our QB & from here on out blah blah ..."
We need to come out of the pks 1 - 2 or 2A with an OT period, end of story.

10 Million a yr ... he's basically telling Power Run Off teams what his rate will be next yr.
So much for the J. Long faithful holding on to the "Home Town Discount loyalty plan" !

I don't blame J. Long, I blame Ireland but it's time to move on.

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

10 Million a yr ... he's basically telling Power Run Off teams what his rate will be next yr.
So much for the J. Long faithful holding on to the "Home Town Discount BS" !

sug

Jake Long doesn't fit the system....

Using a rating scale....1 - 100 JAke Long is most likely an 88 in a power run offense. Is a ZBS he's closer to 75.

With Vollmer possibly hitting the FA market it would be wise to let Jake walk for that kind of pay and pick up Vollmer let Martin man the LT position (which the coaches already believe he can sense they are not trying to hard to get Long back).

Long represents a completely different offensive philosophy from the current Dolphins, keeping him prevents the team from moving forward, it was evident the scheme didn't fit his play style and he has become an injury liability.

As for hometown discount....hearing more about Long and his ego I doubt the discount was ever an option. He believes he's the best and wants to be paid....10 million I believe is the starting point, if Clady goes for 12-15 million you better believe Jake is going to want close to that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

sug

Using a rating scale....1 - 100 JAke Long is most likely an 88 in a power run offense. Is a ZBS he's closer to 75.

With Vollmer possibly hitting the FA market it would be wise to let Jake walk for that kind of pay and pick up Vollmer let Martin man the LT position (which the coaches already believe he can sense they are not trying to hard to get Long back).

Long represents a completely different offensive philosophy from the current Dolphins, keeping him prevents the team from moving forward, it was evident the scheme didn't fit his play style and he has become an injury liability.

As for hometown discount....hearing more about Long and his ego I doubt the discount was ever an option. He believes he's the best and wants to be paid....10 million I believe is the starting point, if Clady goes for 12-15 million you better believe Jake is going to want close to that.

In my opinion you are being way to generous in rating JL at 75 .... more like a 60 out of 100.
(for any multiple reasons injuries/scheme vs cost)

Now that it is official & we can have "The Conversation" some of us started last yr wanting to trade him ...

I'd be OK if the 1st overall were Markevious Mingo but I'd make OT drft pk #2 overall.
Look, I bitched about going out & getting "the most imp player", now we have Tanney.
Why should I feel "just OK" about J. Martin maybe panning out maybe not ...?

BS !!! we need to draft or acquire the best available talent with the sole intent of surpassing J. Martins level of talent !!!
That's how you build a talented Oline, not the other way around.
And lets face it OT dont fall off of trees in comparison to OGs so ...

my 2 cents
sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

sug

In my opinion you are being way to generous in rating JL at 75 .... more like a 60 out of 100.
(for any multiple reasons injuries/scheme vs cost)

Now that it is official & we can have "The Conversation" some of us started last yr wanting to trade him ...

I'd be OK if the 1st overall were Markevious Mingo but I'd make OT drft pk #2 overall.
Look, I bitched about going out & getting "the most imp player", now we have Tanney.
Why should I feel "just OK" about J. Martin maybe panning out maybe not ...?

BS !!! we need to draft or acquire the best available talent with the sole intent of surpassing J. Martins level of talent !!!
That's how you build a talented Oline, not the other way around.
And lets face it OT dont fall off of trees in comparison to OGs so ...

my 2 cents
sug

I believe the Coaches are fine with Martin manning the LT position and that is a main reason they are not willing to spend the money on Long. Despite the last game of the season Martin did a pretty good job at LT considering he spent the off-season and most of the season trying to learn the RT position. With that in mind they could go a number of ways to fill the RT position through the draft or in FA.

As far as Martin's talent...he has talent.....he lacked strength and technique which can be fixed in the off-season. A lot of growth can be had between now and September.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay Long $7,000,000 per season/average. But I also would have out clauses. Like 4 years 30 million. Makes $5,000,000 this season, next year $7.5, then put the rest in the last two years. Team can get out of the first year or the third.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
I would pay Long $7,000,000 per season/average. But I also would have out clauses. Like 4 years 30 million. Makes $5,000,000 this season, next year $7.5, then put the rest in the last two years. Team can get out of the first year or the third.

I feel largely the same way. I'm not on board with paying him 10+ a season. No way. But a healthy deal, with out clauses, with performance escalators, etc would be fine by me. I see no reason to believe he can't learn the ZBS. If Incognito can do it, so can Long who is better. Plus he is the a positive, strong, vocal leader of the oline and there is value in that.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand the scheme excuse. ZBS is only for run blocking and he wasn't bad at all in that. He was bad in pass protection which is not schematic. Clearly, injuries took their toll and he is not worth a multi-million dollar deal. Hopefully other teams see this and he resigns with us for 7-8M.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: