Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WE'RE SWITCHING TO A 3-4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
potus wrote:
Remember Greg Romeus?

He should be healed up by training camp. Anyone think he'll make any contributions at OLB?

Did he play 3-4 DE or 4-3 in college?

I thought he played 4-3, but I'm not certain.

That said, has he EVER been healthy? The dude can't stay on a field, he's as frail as my grandma.

I think he played 4-3 as well, but he has the measurables to be a 3-4 OLB as well.

For him to hit IR two years in a row and still be on the team tells me they see something on him.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Quote:
25. Januar 2013Two defensive coaching candidates the Saints will consider adding to staff include Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, per league sources. Itís even possible the two could go together to New Orleans with one serving as defensive coordinator, sources said. When reached Friday about this possibility, Mangini said he has not been contacted by anybody from the Saints about any position. Mangini and Crennel worked on the same Patriots coaching staff that won three Super Bowls in New England. Saints have told people they plan to proceed with their defensive coordinator search slowly and thereís no rush to fill the position.

http://www.whosay.com/AdamSchefter/content/495317?wsref=tw&code=sKG52jD

I was a little on edge about either Crennel or Mangini as DC... but the object isn't just a DC, it's building a good EXPERIENCED staff as well. Sean Payton has connections with these guys through Bill Parcells and if the report is true and say we can land Mangini as our DC and Crennel as D-Line coach. I'm sure they can find a solid secondary and outsidelinebacks coach and likely keep Vitt on as Asst HC/inside linebackers coach.

That would be a great staff to put in charge of a building project like this!!!

I'm sure Payton will cross his T's and dot his i's but once he consults his papa Parcells, I think there is some meat on this bone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/source-confirms-crennel-is-on-the-saints-wish-list/

So it seems that Crennel is high on Payton's wish list... it's interesting because Crennel runs a 2 gap scheme and if that is the case I highly doubt Bunkley is retained as our NT and it puts us in play at some point in the draft for a big body NT.

Crennel makes a lot of sense... strong connections to Bill Parcells and will likely come highly recommended by the Tuna to Payton. Remember last season when we were looking for a new DC, Payton said he was going to take his time then a day or two later he was introducing Spags to the WHODAT NATION...

Maybe things will play out quicker than expected?

Crennel has tons of experience and would likely be able to put together a quality staff. He also likely won't put up much of a fuss about keeping Joe Vitt onboard as the middle LB coach. He also is known as a players coach who his guys love to play for but also has a calming demeanor oppsite of the viotle personality of Greg Williams and the stern my way or the high way ethic of Steve Spagnuolo.

Also, if Crennel is hired and the Saints do switch to a "2 gap" 34 scheme... Martez Wilson would likely be heading back to his old college position of INSIDE linebacker and not as a 34 edge rusher. The 2 gap typically likes bigger, stouter edge rushers and Wilsons athletic ability and length would be better utilized inside as he would match up with TE's in coverage, while Lofton fills the role of run stuffer.

That would mean that an edge defender would be back in play for the 15th pick and the guy who stands out to me as a ideal fit in this scheme is LSU DE Sam Montgomery, who has the size, skills and athletic ability to hold up in the scheme that Crennel would want to run.

Texas's Alex Okafor would also be in contention in this defensive scheme as a OLB prospect.

However, these smaller guys like Mingo, Jordan, etc are likely out. Think guys like Orakpo, Kerrigan, McGennis, Hali, etc.

NS922

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine how good we'll be if our defense turns out to be at least average! Very Happy
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another name I'd like us to consider is 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit something fella's... I've been waiting for this defensive switch for so long! When I read Harps post stating this was going down I felt like a kid at Christmas that just got the toy he'd always wanted but the anticipation of waiting to find out who our new DC will be and what type of scheme we will run is driving me MAD!!! Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: