Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Weeden an NFL QB? Can he be a good NFL QB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Weeden an NFL QB?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everything is geared up towards a second and final season for Weeden to try and prove he is the QB going forward beyond that.

1.) Arguably no franchise QB in this draft. If Geno is thought to be that, he likely goes to KC. Matt Barkley? No better than Sanchez/Leinart/Quinn. Tyler Wilson? I like his arm but is he really special? No way would I feel comfortable with us going in that direction at 6.

2.) Chud and Norv's system. Get the ball down the field vertically. You'd think that would be a perfect suit for Weeden. If he is going to thrive, surely this is his best opportunity.

3.) If he doesn't put it together, well then there's no doubt left and no lingering questions. At least we'll know what we had. It would also likely mean another early pick, perhaps... Teddy Bridgewater (or whoever is the guy in 2014). Not to mention the nice defensive pick we get at 6 this year and hopefully some other talent. Come the 2014 season, I really expect us to be a very talented team and hopefully one with a signal caller that we can feel good about into the future.
cthomas09

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he can be good give him one year in chuds offense there is no one i like in this draft anyway. Put more talent around him and lets see if he shines he has shown flashes.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:
I think everything is geared up towards a second and final season for Weeden to try and prove he is the QB going forward beyond that.

1.) Arguably no franchise QB in this draft. If Geno is thought to be that, he likely goes to KC. Matt Barkley? No better than Sanchez/Leinart/Quinn. Tyler Wilson? I like his arm but is he really special? No way would I feel comfortable with us going in that direction at 6.

2.) Chud and Norv's system. Get the ball down the field vertically. You'd think that would be a perfect suit for Weeden. If he is going to thrive, surely this is his best opportunity.

3.) If he doesn't put it together, well then there's no doubt left and no lingering questions. At least we'll know what we had. It would also likely mean another early pick, perhaps... Teddy Bridgewater (or whoever is the guy in 2014). Not to mention the nice defensive pick we get at 6 this year and hopefully some other talent. Come the 2014 season, I really expect us to be a very talented team and hopefully one with a signal caller that we can feel good about into the future.

Agree 100%

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
poorbytehshore wrote:

Agree 100%

Yup, me too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the Philip Rivers thread, but I figured I should post it here as well.

I know that it is that "down time" between the end of the season and the draft for us, but I think we should all take a deep breath and think about what has transpired over the last couple of weeks.

We've brought in a new head coach who has a pretty good reputation of fitting his offensive scheme to meet the strengths of his personnel.

He's brought in arguably one of the top offensive coordinators over the last generation.

We've got a quarterback that was annointed with a starting job that he may not have been ready to take. But he did a fair job, starting with three other rookies, and a 2nd year WR. He was directed to run an offense that probably wasn't best suited to match with his skill set.

While it is completely natural for us to consider possible replacements and/or upgrades for Weeden (including the aforementioned Philip Rivers), I, for one, am extremely excited to see what is going to transpire under the tutelage of Chudzinski and Turner.

Rivers is a great QB, but the move to Chud and Turner makes me think that the new braintrust feels that Weeden may be who they are looking for at QB. Another year under the belt of our top two WR's, an OC who can possibly make a very serviceable player out of Jordan Cameron, one of the best young RB's in the game, along with one of the best o-lines in the game, makes me pretty excited to see what happens in the future.

I don't think we need to make a knee-jerk reaction to bring in someone who is even older, and has a ton more mileage on his body than does Weeden.

For what it is worth, that's

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...Now I'm ready for some HEAVY PETTINE!
bruceb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkPrice25 wrote:
Physically? Absolutely. Weeden is a big guy with a big arm. He has NFL size and measurables.

Mentally? I don't think he is. He shys away from the big moment. He isn't a leader. He doesn't take ownership of his faults (I still remember him saying "I'm only a rookie"), and he makes the same mistakes over and over again.

I think Weeden is a back-up in the NFL. He just doesn't have it upstairs, I don't think.

Just my opinion, but that's the way I see it.

This.

He never lead us to a win.

He did, however, lead us to losses.

His high point was mediocre.
e5i50blitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
MarkPrice25 wrote:
Physically? Absolutely. Weeden is a big guy with a big arm. He has NFL size and measurables.

Mentally? I don't think he is. He shys away from the big moment. He isn't a leader. He doesn't take ownership of his faults (I still remember him saying "I'm only a rookie"), and he makes the same mistakes over and over again.

I think Weeden is a back-up in the NFL. He just doesn't have it upstairs, I don't think.

Just my opinion, but that's the way I see it.

This.

He never lead us to a win.

He did, however, lead us to losses.

His high point was mediocre.

Week 6 bengals The browns score two Td's on 60+ yard drives, and also a pick 6 from the defense to score 21 in the 4th and seal the win by 10 points on the bengals.

Week 7 Indy 40 yard pass that was dropped by Gordon in the endzone was a perfect read and throw, this should have given the Browns the lead with around 2 min's to go. Weeden outplayed luck and should have had 3 td's and 0 int's with td passes of 15, 30, and 40 yards.

Week 11 against Dallas, the Browns drive 70 yards with 5 min's to go and turn it over on downs (why we did not run Richardson twice to get 1 yard i have no idea)
The defense forces a fumble and Weeden hits a 17 yard td pass to take the lead with 1 min to go. The D then gives up a 66 yard drive and the tying field goal we lose in OT.

Week 13 Raiders, with just a 3 point lead at 6 min's to go the Browns go on a 94 yard drive and score a TD to seal the win. We needed it the Raiders scored a TD on their next posession

To say he never lead us to a win is pure Bunk, (see raiders and Bengals game)

I don't know if Weeden will be a good QB at this level or not, based upon what we have seen it's up in the air. He did have some good moments and some OMG moments.

What I do know is that he came from the shotgun spread, had to learn to play under center, had to learn a timing based offense along with a new RB and a bunch of new recievers.
He looked much better in the shotgun and rolling to either side and when he threw downfield.
Hopefully we have a coaching staff that will put him into a position to win and highlite his strengths and the teams strengths instead of a my system is the best approach of pounding the square peg into the round hole.

His window is small due to his age, however if he has the football IQ and the right system from his coaches i believe has the physical skills to be successfull while we build and groom a QB that has time to learn the system instead of throwing them into the fire like we do with every QB around here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ this guy makes too much sense not only have 14 posts...

or maybe thats it? The more posts, the more lulz creeps in, and the less sense everyone has...

hmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

or maybe thats it? The more posts, the more lulz creeps in, and the less sense everyone has...

hmmm...

Thanks, sometimes I make sense, at least in my head anyway.

I quite posting around here during the whole DA is a real QB debate era in 2008.

My contention was that DA was a product of switching over from a dink and dunk offense from 2006 to a 2007 offense that threw downfield.

Once defenses had our new offense scheme down and Chud started to add new complexity DA did not have the football IQ to hang.
For the record:
DA had 20 td's and 9 int's thru his first 9 games in 2007.
DA had 18 td's and 18 int's thru his remaining 17 games in 07 and 08
Please pray he never returns here, even if it is just for the Lulz

Ironically, Weeden will be placed in the exact same situation with the same person (Chud) I will assume that the offensive change will be downfield throwing and start simple and then grow in complexity to keep defenses honest.
We will then see by midway in 2013 if Weeden has any football IQ.

And for the record the Murphy's rock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e5i50blitz wrote:
And for the record the Murphy's rock.

^^ I like this guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on the situation. As much as I may not be a big fan of Weeden, we just have to look at alternatives. Who is out there outside of Alex Smith that we would feel better about. I personally would like Vick, but he always gets hurt and I doubt he will go anywhere with Kelly in place.

At the end of the day, I think this is a perfect storm for Weeden to get another year because it will be easy to blame past coaching and crappy alternatives. In reality this is not a bad situation for Browns fans because a top pick on a sub par QB this year would be a waste.

Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's certainly an NFL QB. Not even sure why this is being discussed. Now if you asked if he was a starting QB or a good NFL QbB, I could see a discussion, but he's certainly an NFL QB.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

hmmm...

Pretty much this. Laughing

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Entropy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
He's certainly an NFL QB. Not even sure why this is being discussed. Now if you asked if he was a starting QB or a good NFL QbB, I could see a discussion, but he's certainly an NFL QB.

I agree. This topic was started to address the nihilistic attitude by some that a discussion about him isn't even necessary.

I'll edit the topic name and we can have that discussion.

Let's start by discussing why he performed so much better in road games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
good or not
whatever
i dont care

what i do care about

WHY SO MANY GDAMN TIPPED BALLS

SO ANGERING

3 step drops?

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: