Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I had to do another one....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: I had to do another one.... Reply with quote

I did two off-season possibilities; this is the second one….

Offensive thoughts – What I attempted to do was provide Tannehill a polished WR core that all run great routes and have very good hands. The combination of Jennings, Hartline, Bailey and Bess will provide 4 guys that Tannehill can feel comfortable getting the ball to. Last season you could tell that RT did not want to throw to anyone not named Hartline, Bess, and Fasano. My understanding of the offense is that you have very good options all over the field, not just one great option and several OK options. Reggie should be more productive in the offense with an improved O-line and more threats in a passing game. I like to potential of Robinson and his versatility and see him as a replacement for Bess in 2014. Tannehill will also benefit from an improved O-line….leaving Martin at his more natural LT position, signing Vazquez, and Vollmer and drafting Warmack should upgrade the line to provide the protection Tannehill needs to be effective.

Defensive thoughts – On the other side of the Ball I didn’t want to make any more than one major move to the front 7. I like the idea of moving Odrick to the inside, he’s got good size and a nice burst and should be able to still provide a bit of the pass rush. The biggest move is adding another DE (Johnson) to improve the pass rush which hopefully will force the QB into rushing throws leading to more picks. The defensive back field gets a complete overhaul. Jones is the only good player the Phins have back there and playmakers are needed desperately it they ever hope to slow QB’s in the era of the passing game. Smith walks….as much as I don’t think he’s worth more than 5 million, some team will. I see Jenkins as a more affordable upgrade over Smith; a former 1st round pick that fell out of favor in Dallas. With that I hit the draft hard picking up a safety (Elam) and two CB (Wren-Wilson and Poyer) that should compete for a starting position and provide a very solid nickel.

Here we go…

Resign

Reggie Bush (RB) – He wants to be in Miami, should be a decent value and is finally becoming the player many thought he would be coming out of USC. He could have Marshall Faulk type impact with improved line play and increased involvement in the passing game.

Brian Hartline (WR) – He’s not a number one, but he is very good, runs great routes, and catches anything thrown in his direction. Over the last season he became Tannehill’s go to guy and keeping players the young QB is comfortable with will continue to help his development.

Anthony Fasano (TE)- Again this goes into keeping some players Tannehill is comfortable with and Fasano is one of those guys. Shouldn’t be too expensive, blocks well, works hard and knows the offense.

Matt Moore (QB) – Vets that knows the offense…I think most teams see him as a vet back-up and will realize that he’s still not going to get his shot to start elsewhere.

Sign

Greg Jennings (WR) – He’s a vet with very good hands, nice speed and knows the offense. As with finding Tannehill guys he is comfortable with it is also imperative they bring in a vet that can adjust to what Tannehill is doing. Jennings appears to want to become a Dolphin and should. Wallace and Bowe may have more on paper, but Jennings has a certain “je ne sais quoi” that will make him a better fit and he does push-ups with a Jet-Ski on his back.

Louis Vasquez (G) – The line needs to be updated….there was holes and weaknesses especially at right guard. Vasquez should be a significant upgrade as he is a very good pass protector and extremely strong. Andy Levitre could be a possibility, but will be very expensive and most likely will get resigned by the Bills.

Michael Johnson (DE) – Will provide that complimentary pass rusher opposite Cam Wake. With moving Odrick inside (who also has decent pass rush ability the Dolphin vastly improve one of their weakest areas and make them one of the scarier team to drop back against (‘ello Brady!).

Sebastian Vollmer (OT) – Jake Long moves on and Martin takes over LT….How great would it be to take from the Patriots….especially someone who is very solid at RT on a team that has kept Brady pretty clean. Vollmer has had a “Hartline like contract” and will be looking for a raise….won’t garner they type of money Long wanted and should be able to come in and shore up the right side.

Mike Jenkins (CB) – Compete for a CB position and provide solid depth has tons of potential. Was a starter in Dallas in 2011 (he was their best CB), but was replaced by Claiborn (after Jenkins injury kept him out). Still has solid ability and should be an upgrade over Smith and cheaper. Coyle turned Jones in a pro-bowl caliber player and could do the same with Jenkins.

Draft

Round 1
(12) – Chance Warmack (G) – Easily my favorite player in the Draft this year and should come in and start at guard for the next 10 years and go to numerous pro-bowls.

Round 2
(42) – Matt Elam (S) – Might go in the first, but I’m crossing my fingers he drops to the Dolphins in the second. He is a force in the defensive backfield providing great ball skills and tackling. Another big play guy who can not only pick off passes, but is a ferocious hitter that can force fumbles.

(54) - Jordan Poyer (CB) – Good speed and excellent balls skills. Plays physical and has very quick feet. For a team that needs interception and turnovers (apple) they need to pick up a guy who can actually make those types of plays (7 INTs as a Sr./ 4 INTs as a Jr.)

Round 3
(77) – Blidi Wreh-Wilson (CB) – Yes another CB….this group needs as many play makers as it can get especially facing the Patriots twice a year…Wreh-Wilson provides another guy who could possibly start for the Dolphins. Nice size and athleticism that should be able to step in and make an impact.

(82) – Stedman Bailey (WR) – Great in the slot and adds more playmaking ability to the offense. As much as I like Devon Bess and he is steady, he’s very similar to Hartline where there isn’t much that happens after the catch, Bailey scores TD’s and this team needs WRs who get in the endzone.

Round 4
(TBD) – Denard Robinson (WR/ATH) – Bess becomes a Free Agent next off-season and I see Robinson being his replacement. He was easily one of the 5 most dynamic players in college football the past few seasons. Picking a guy like him now allows him to learn WR and the offense without being asked to be a major contributor and eventually replace Bess next off-season. The ceiling is huge on a guy like him and not rushing him could be key to his development.

Round 5 thru 7: Depth and pro-bowl sleepers

Line-Up (I’m only listing reserve players how should contribute on a regular basis)

Offense
QB Tannehill
RB Bush/Miller
WR Jennings
WR Hartline
WR Bailey/Bess/Robinson
TE Fasano/Clay
T Martin
T Vollmer
G Warmack
G Vasquez
C Pouncey

Defense
DE Wake/Vernon
DE Johnson/Vernon
DT Soliei
DT Odrick
LB Misi
LB Burnett
LB Dansby
CB Jenkins
CB Poyer/Wreh-Wilson
S Jones
S Elam

Red - Rookies
Blue - New Free Agents

Notes:

-Not sure if I overdid it on the Free Agency….may be too expensive
-I understand there are areas that still need to be addressed…I think with the additions to the O-line, WR and with resigning Fasano that position should be serviceable and if needed be addressed next off-season.
-Yes I add a lot of WR, CB, and Lineman….these are the areas that needed the biggest change and did what I could to completely revamp those units.
-I understand I am taking a chance with Martin at LT, but I still think that year of experience and an off-season on improving strength and technique could improve him enough to be a good to very good LT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take a stab at this. I'll try to have it make sense money-wise:

Resign:

Matt Moore
Jake Long
Randy Starks
Tony McDaniel

Free Agency:

Dwayne Bowe/Greg Jennings (whichever comes cheaper)
Any FA Gaurd (2)

Trade:

Devon Bess for the best draft picks possible. He's been my favorite player since we got him, but he just doesn't fit our system. Someone has to need a solid slot guy who gives his everything. Hopefully we could get a 4th or 5th for him.

Draft:

I would love to trade down from the 12 spot to build up this team around Tannehill. I'm not gonna list draft pick by pick because most likely we'll be moving around. Instead I'll list guys I like.

Keenan Allen WR, Cal - There aren't any crazy studs like Megatron in this draft but this class is deep and they are good. A few other guys could be the first WR we select and I'd be fine with that.

Tavon Austin WR, WVU - Yep, I want a free agent WR and at least two drafted. We're gonna be throwing the ball a whole hell of a lot obviously so let's make it look good.

Note: These are my two favorite WRs but I wouldn't mind any combo of a few that made sense ie, Robert Woods, Quinton Patten, Aaron Dobson, Markus Wheaton.

Desmond Trufant CB, Wash/Jordan Poyer CB, OregSt - I'm loving both of these guys more and more watching the Senior Bowl practices. We need improvement at corner and I think one or both of these guys could help.

Tyrann Mathiue CB, LSU - I know he's a headcase but he is a playmaker.

Vance McDonald TE, Rice - It's early and I can't stop watching the Senior Bowl, but for a late round guy I think he'd be perfect to coach up.

David Quisenberry OG, San Jose State - Kid looks like he's going to be a big time steal in this draft.

I think the main thing that the organization has to do this year is make a splash. The fans have been clamoring for something sexy and I don't think the Tannehill pick is what will satisfy them. I'm usually the guy that wants the O lineman that the casual fan has never heard of (I was a huge fan of both the Jake Long and Pouncey picks) but this year we need to address the biggest problem on this team, which for the second year in a row is the worst WR corps in the league. We need to draft at least two in the first three rounds and possibly sign a free agent. I could go on but I don't want to ramble and lose everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat White turned me off of small QBs that run a spread

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:

Robinson is playing WR at the Senior Bowl. With 4.3 speed, 10 inch hands and great character I am all in on drafting Robinson.
NBA: New York Knicks
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

Robinson is playing WR at the Senior Bowl. With 4.3 speed, 10 inch hands and great character I am all in on drafting Robinson.

This is why I wanted him (especially after seeing the size of his hands)....the guy is coming in to play WR only and he provides so many options as an athlete that he will instantly boost the big play potential of the Phins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
hammer wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

This is why I wanted him (especially after seeing the size of his hands)....the guy is coming in to play WR only and he provides so many options as an athlete that he will instantly boost the big play potential of the Phins.

I agree. Say what you want about Shoelace Robinson, but he can move and he's a playmaker.....and that's what we need is some youth that has speed and makes big plays.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ViolentMonk you are getting closer to the mock thats been sitting on my desk the past two weeks. Its a good mock the first two rounds after that i would go in other directions. Your off season is solid but once again I have some differences. Overall nicely done.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 7, Tackles 8 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 24
orangetiktac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a WR class this deep I'd rather spend a pick on someone that's proven. I love Shoelace and have followed his career since Deerfield High but he still can't catch the ball despite having the 10 inch hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangetiktac wrote:
With a WR class this deep I'd rather spend a pick on someone that's proven. I love Shoelace and have followed his career since Deerfield High but he still can't catch the ball despite having the 10 inch hands.

That's why it is a 4th round pick...

The guy is learning a new position after playing QB most of his life, but his intangibles, speed, and play making ability is too high to not at least take a chance on him later in the draft. Even if he runs bubble screens and quick slants for the first year he still has the possibility to turn those into big plays and TD's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: