Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chud says the D will be a Hybrid 43/34
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkb_63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One potential option I haven't seen discussed much is the free agent addition of Anthony Spencer. With Dallas moving to the straight-up 43 under Monte Kiffin, expending their Franchise Tag on him last, and being up against the cap, I think he'll hit the open market.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkb_63 wrote:
One potential option I haven't seen discussed much is the free agent addition of Anthony Spencer. With Dallas moving to the straight-up 43 under Monte Kiffin, expending their Franchise Tag on him last, and being up against the cap, I think he'll hit the open market.

Good call - he would fit right in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
jkb_63 wrote:

Good call - he would fit right in.

Definitely a good call

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
fsubrowns9510 wrote:

Nice post buno.

Cant believe im agreeing with you after the garbage i read on Sunday.

Im definitely on the Moore bandwagon.

Browns arent playing so im turned into a fan of players and I love Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. If I had to tell young football players, who they should watch and try and play like it be Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. They are just so good on the field and want to see them go out on top. I hated John Elway but wanted him to win that last superbowl so he could go out on top. I hate John Elways because my dad hated him lol
bulldog wrote:
I'm withholding a draftcrush on Moore until after the combine.

see im stating in now because im basing my man crush off of a player and production on the field. If I wanted for the combine im gonna fall in love with some workout numbers. I want the browns to draft a player on what he did as a player not what he ran or benched.
roger murdock wrote:
Moore just doesn't seem to be athletic or strong enough to get away with his college play style in the NFL to me. I think hes smart and instinctive though. If he does well at the combine maybe I will change my mind but I am anticipating a poor showing.

see you just answered your question. It is very hard to improve a players IQ or instincts, those are more god given. Strength, that can come with hardwork in the weight room, and he is pretty athletic for a guy who is 6'4 250lb, he might not be a freak but you usually dont see someone that size being that athletic. I think the combine might show you how much of an athlete he is

I think you missed my point buno.

He looks clumsy on the field, I wanna see him run the drills, not the 40, to see how he looks.
Fullback40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I've seen in this thread.

#1. Damontre Moore- I don't think there's anything special about this guy. I don't really understand why he is flying up draft boards. He is probably going to be a good pro, but comparing him to DeMarcus Ware and Aldon Smith is silly. He is nowhere near the athlete that either of those men are. He reminds me a little too much of Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech/Tennessee Titans. He will be a good 4-3 player, but doesn't fit the 3-4 like some people think he will. I see a good player, but I certainly don't think he's better than Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones, or Barkevious Mingo. Or Bjorn Werner. I expect after the combine, people will be echoing these statements.

#2. Anthony Spencer- Spencer is a solid player, but he isn't spectacular in any area. I see him as a spot starter. If he is our primary pass rush threat, we are in trouble. He is also not good enough in coverage to give me any hope that we can stop tight ends with Jabaal Sheard and Anthony Spencer as our primary OLB's. Spencer would be a nice stop gap for a year, but he's not good enough to give us a dynamic pass rush. I'd rather draft a guy or go with Connor Barwin in free agency.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullback40 wrote:

#1. Damontre Moore- I don't think there's anything special about this guy. I don't really understand why he is flying up draft boards. He is probably going to be a good pro, but comparing him to DeMarcus Ware and Aldon Smith is silly. He is nowhere near the athlete that either of those men are. He reminds me a little too much of Derrick Morgan from Georgia Tech/Tennessee Titans. He will be a good 4-3 player, but doesn't fit the 3-4 like some people think he will. I see a good player, but I certainly don't think he's better than Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones, or Barkevious Mingo. Or Bjorn Werner. I expect after the combine, people will be echoing these statements.

#2. Anthony Spencer- Spencer is a solid player, but he isn't spectacular in any area. I see him as a spot starter. If he is our primary pass rush threat, we are in trouble. He is also not good enough in coverage to give me any hope that we can stop tight ends with Jabaal Sheard and Anthony Spencer as our primary OLB's. Spencer would be a nice stop gap for a year, but he's not good enough to give us a dynamic pass rush. I'd rather draft a guy or go with Connor Barwin in free agency.

You dislike Anthony Spencer, but like Conner Barwin?!?!?!

Barwin is a one hit wonder that has done nothing else in the league.

Do you people not read this stuff that I post?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=509393
Fullback40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Fullback40 wrote:

I apologize, I didn't realize you were smarter than everyone else.

Barwin creates more splash plays than Spencer. He's younger, faster, and better in coverage.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkb_63 wrote:

Spencer turned 29 in Jan. Kinda against Banner's MO of keeping older players around.

I think we should sign both Victor Butler and Antwan Barnes and let them rotate and compete for the spot at ROLB.

We need depth at the position anyways.
Fullback40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
jkb_63 wrote:

Spencer turned 29 in Jan. Kinda against Banner's MO of keeping older players around.

I think we should sign both Victor Butler and Antwan Barnes and let them rotate and compete for the spot at ROLB.

I like Barnes, but I would not count on him as a starter. He'd .be perfect depth for us...and he can cover a little bit too.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullback40 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Fullback40 wrote:

I apologize, I didn't realize you were smarter than everyone else.

Barwin creates more splash plays than Spencer. He's younger, faster, and better in coverage.

The info I post is for everyone's reading pleasure. If you don't like it fine.

You suggest that Barwin is a better pass rusher than Spencer, so here you go.

The last two years and four years

Spencer
2012- 299 attempts at rushing the passer/ 11 sacks= 1 sack every 27.2 plays rushing the passer
2011- 407 attempts at rushing the passer/ 5 sacks= 1 sack every 81.4 plays rushing the passer
avg= 44.1

2010- 386 / 5
2009- 446/ 7
total avg- 54.9 plays rushing the passer per sack

Total FF/ INT/ FR/= 15 last 4 years. (3.75/yr)

40 time- 4.7

Barwin
2012- 533 attempts at rushing the passer/ 4 sacks = 133.25
2011- 490 attempts at rushing the passer/ 12 sacks= 40.8
avg= one sack every 63.9 plays

2010= 7 / 0 (on I.R. this year)
2009= 222/ 4
total avg= 62.6

Total FF/INT/FR= 3 Last 4 years (3 really, not counting his I.R. year)= (1/yr)

40 time- 4.59

Wow, look at how much better Barwin is at making "splash" plays than Spencer.

So really, the only thing that you were right about, was that Barwin is younger and faster...

I post facts my friend.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullback40 wrote:
bulldog wrote:
jkb_63 wrote:

I like Barnes, but I would not count on him as a starter. He'd .be perfect depth for us...and he can cover a little bit too.

neither Butler or Barnes have been full time starters. and with Barnes playing for Norv the last 2 years, and Butler possibly being ousted b/c of the 43 going into DAL, I think its a real possibility to get both, and at a reasonable price. Creating some flexibility in the draft as well.
buckeye00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a life long browns fan, and have never posted in this section, but I was wondering if any of you guys know if the 3-4 is going to be a 1 gap or 2 gap scheme?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckeye00 wrote:
I've been a life long browns fan, and have never posted in this section, but I was wondering if any of you guys know if the 3-4 is going to be a 1 gap or 2 gap scheme?

From what I've read it's definitely 1 gap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
buckeye00 wrote:

From what I've read it's definitely 1 gap

Thanks, thats what I was hoping for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cullen joined the Jaguars in 2010, instantly becoming a fan favorite because of how he acted during training camp. Cullen is a fiery coach that's intense and often loses his voice early into camp from the yelling.

Unfortunately for Cullen, be it poor coaching or just poor talent, the Jaguars defensive line never seemed to materialize much of a pass rush outside of free agent pick up Aaron Kampman. Some players even seemed to regress during Cullen's tenure, but again the talent on the line was suspect at best, so it's tough to decide where it went wrong.

The Jaguars didn't have a very good performance up front this past season, but the Browns' depth up front is far more impressive than what Jacksonville had. The interesting thing about Cullen is that it seems like he has only coached a 4-3 defensive front during his time in the NFL. Defensive coordinator Ray Horton has historically run a 3-4 defense, but remember that Rob Chudzinski and company alluded to a hybrid type of defense a week or so ago. It's hard to imagine the Browns switching exclusively to a 3-4 defense, considering Cullen's background.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/1/22/3904796/cleveland-browns-hire-joe-cullen-as-defensive-line-coach-could-the-4

Thought this was a good writeup. Hybrid will definitely be a part of our defense. Kinda dumb to hire a DL coach who is exclusively a 4-3 DL coach if you are going full blown 3-4.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: