Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Patriots Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was also in charge of recording his thoughts on the defensive line and after watching the practices myself and knowing that WR and DL are certainly positions of needed upgrade I wanted to share these perspectives.

Quote:
-The man I was curious to watch today was Ezekial Ansah from BYU. He missed part of individual drills today, unfortunately, so the look wasn’t AS thorough as I wanted, but he still showed some of the concerns he had on film. He needs to react and adjust his body better when engaged by double teams, as he gets rendered useless far too easily. He was inconsistent, especially in team drills, in his ability to adjust his hands and work against the run, with part of the reason just not feeling comfortable with any developed hand-separating moves. He also needs to adjust his rush much quicker when his first move fails, and he seems to just wait for runner/QB as opposed to staying active and winning again. Maybe his most NFL ready skill set is his ability to shoot his hands up and limit the vision of the quarterback, as he batted down a pass today.

-I was surprisingly intrigued by Montori Hughes of Tennessee-Martin today. The small schooler was active and low off the snap nearly every rush, and was getting consistent penetration. He does seem to drive to outside too often and doesn’t seem to have the adjustment to cut back inside, but it seems like more of a technique thing than an inability to do so.

-Georgia’s John Jenkins didn’t show much to me at all today, which is frustrating. He wasn’t generating nearly enough pressure against a single blocker, and wasn’t working upfield while he was exchanging his hands. He showed (in individual drills) the transitions and cuts laterally that should impress for a guy his size, but he doesn’t utilize that in game situations.

-Also to note on the defensive line: Cory Grissom struggled all day, lacking laterally quick moves and had an inability to drive upfield with force. But, he does seem to hold his point of attack well vs. double teams. Everett Dawkins of Florida State has balance concerns, as he struggles to adjust himself on the interior and over-extends himself too often. Lavar Edwards from LSU lacked any consistent burst off the line, but he does have some developed rush moves that could work situationally in the NFL. Malliciah Goodman has fantastic length and looks the part at times, but on the interior, he lets players get inside of him too often.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really want Alex Okafor. He's apparently the only one who has been able to beat Eric Fisher at the Senior Bowl at all and he's obliterating everyone else. I also went back to look at some tape of him vs. Texas A&M last year when he was facing off against Jake Matthews and man was I impressed. Okafor just has so many moves. He was about a millisecond short on four or five plays from getting a sack. It seemed like he really made some adjustments in the second half and came out and just crushed Matthews on three straight plays. Absolutely tore it up against one of the best tackle prospects in the nation.

I'm not sold on any of the interior pass rushers outside of Sheldon Richardson. Many of them just don't seem to be able to collapse the pocket consistently enough. Maybe Kawann Short, but I think that he's a bit of a reach at 29.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
I really really want Alex Okafor. He's apparently the only one who has been able to beat Eric Fisher at the Senior Bowl at all and he's obliterating everyone else. I also went back to look at some tape of him vs. Texas A&M last year when he was facing off against Jake Matthews and man was I impressed. Okafor just has so many moves. He was about a millisecond short on four or five plays from getting a sack. It seemed like he really made some adjustments in the second half and came out and just crushed Matthews on three straight plays. Absolutely tore it up against one of the best tackle prospects in the nation.

I'm not sold on any of the interior pass rushers outside of Sheldon Richardson. Many of them just don't seem to be able to collapse the pocket consistently enough. Maybe Kawann Short, but I think that he's a bit of a reach at 29.

Okafor is going to have a great run up to the draft and is going to be gone way before pick #29.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: