Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
I liked him as well, the other guy i was interested in was Steve Greer from Virginia how did he do??

From what I read, he is aggressive and plays the run well, but not good at all in space. He is nonathletic in space and bad hips, basically not good in coverage. There are better options than him late in this draft. It seems deep on LB's.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFC Championship game so far shows me how good an offense can be with 2 dynamic receivers. Falcons owner before the 2011 draft made it clear that they needed to get more explosive on offense and they traded up to get Julio Jones. We need to do the same thing. Get more explosive at WR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
The NFC Championship game so far shows me how good an offense can be with 2 dynamic receivers. Falcons owner before the 2011 draft made it clear that they needed to get more explosive on offense and they traded up to get Julio Jones. We need to do the same thing. Get more explosive at WR.

Yup, Patterson would be pretty damn awesome on this team. Let him learn from Andre while producing as a rookie. Man that would be amazing.

Johnson, Patterson, free agent (like Hartline, Amendola or even Welker if he is let go), Posey, Martin. That would be an awesome wr corps. Plus Patterson has the ability to be our number 1 when its time for Aj to retire in a few seasons.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Patterson. He could be great, be he could also be terrible, and I don't think we can afford to blow another pick on a WR who doesn't have a high probability of success.

I'm not usually a proponent of trading up, but if we can reasonably get Keenan Allen, I'd be all for it. That guy is going to be a star in the NFL. I wouldn't love Terrance Williams, but I'd be fine with drafting him. I like Justin Hunter, I think Robert Woods will be a very good NFL player, and I like Ryan Swope. Later round guys I like include Kenny Stills and Conner Vernon, as well as Marquess Wilson if he checks out ok. Ideally, I'd love to draft one of Allen/Woods/Hunter/Williams (in that order) and one of Vernon/Swope/Wilson/Stills. Replace Lestar Jean and fill Posey's empty roster spot, and you'd improve the WR corps while potentially filling the AJ role (first group) and the KW role (second group) in a few years.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Yup, Patterson would be pretty damn awesome on this team. Let him learn from Andre while producing as a rookie. Man that would be amazing.

Johnson, Patterson, free agent (like Hartline, Amendola or even Welker if he is let go), Posey, Martin. That would be an awesome wr corps. Plus Patterson has the ability to be our number 1 when its time for Aj to retire in a few seasons.

Ironic that we are picking in the same spot as the Falcons did when they traded up to get Julio. It doesn't have to be in the top 5, but I hope we we be aggressive and try to get one of the top receivers in the draft. Instead of seeing most of them picked in front of us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
I don't like Patterson. He could be great, be he could also be terrible, and I don't think we can afford to blow another pick on a WR who doesn't have a high probability of success.

I don't understand why you think Patterson is more likely to bust than any of the others. He is talented, an athletic freak and very reliable catcher. What more do you want out of a wide out?
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

I don't understand why you think Patterson is more likely to bust than any of the others. He is talented, an athletic freak and very reliable catcher. What more do you want out of a wide out?

While I like Cordarrelle Patterson, I can see why we, including the Texans, might be hesitant to pick him. Patterson only has 1 yr. of Div. 1 FBS football playing experience, he was in junior college prior to 2012. I know all players are risky, but I sure would like someone with a little more playing experience on the big stage.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

While I like Cordarrelle Patterson, I can see why we, including the Texans, might be hesitant to pick him. Patterson only has 1 yr. of Div. 1 FBS football playing experience, he was in junior college prior to 2012. I know all players are risky, but I sure would like someone with a little more playing experience on the big stage.

Patterson is the better athlete, a track star and crushed records in JUCO. He set 13 records. Not to mention he set a Tennessee record of all purpose yards in ONE SEASON, with other play makers on the team. He is a legit chance to score every time he touches the ball. Thats what we need, a true play maker.

Hunter is a good option, but not at the level of Patterson IMO. He will be a good wide out and will be reliable after time, but not a true play maker like Patterson. I think he would be the replacement to AJ in a few seasons. He screams best wide out in this class to me Cool
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

I'm not usually a proponent of trading up, but if we can reasonably get Keenan Allen, I'd be all for it. That guy is going to be a star in the NFL. I wouldn't love Terrance Williams, but I'd be fine with drafting him. I like Justin Hunter, I think Robert Woods will be a very good NFL player, and I like Ryan Swope. Later round guys I like include Kenny Stills and Conner Vernon, as well as Marquess Wilson if he checks out ok. Ideally, I'd love to draft one of Allen/Woods/Hunter/Williams (in that order) and one of Vernon/Swope/Wilson/Stills. Replace Lestar Jean and fill Posey's empty roster spot, and you'd improve the WR corps while potentially filling the AJ role (first group) and the KW role (second group) in a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M

Patterson is a beast dominating the SEC, he returns kicks, punts, great pass catcher, wild cat player, I REPEAT WILD CAT PLAYER including throwing passes....hes amazing, I have a man crush Embarassed
Raz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M

Patterson is a beast dominating the SEC, he returns kicks, punts, great pass catcher, wild cat player, I REPEAT WILD CAT PLAYER including throwing passes....hes amazing, I have a man crush Embarassed

Yea i like Patterson also, i think he's a lot better then Hunter... actually i think Hunter is not worth of drafting in 1st or 2nd round.

My rank for Texans to draft in 1st round
1.Terrence Williams
2.Keenan Allen
3.Cordarelle Petterson
4.Robert Woods
5.Tavon Austin 2nd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too early for me to start evaluating value of guys like Patterson or Allen, but Youtube highlights don't excite me at all as you guys were all wet over Devier Posey's limited highlights as well and quick to explain away the lack of production from guys like Stephen Hill and Al Toon which still dwarfs Patterson. Obviously, I've watched Williams and Swope more closely and certainly wouldn't complain about either being Texans at #27, but on it's surface I've got a major problem with a guy like Patterson who had 1/2 the production of these two last year, never mind career-wise, despite having a decent in QB Bray and a weaker than usual SEC. The guy had 1 catch vs Bama, 2 vs. Georgia & Miss St, and 3 vs. Mizzou, Vandy, and South Carolina. Hell, he only had 2 vs Akron, 3 vs. Georgia State, and 4 vs Kentucky. His only truly great game in his college career was vs. Troy. There is NO WAY there is enough there to justify a high first round pick, no matter what he does in the combine.

As for trading up, I think I CAN safely state that there is NO AJ Green or Julio Jones in this draft, worthy of a top 6 pick or trading away 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and 2 4th rounders as the Falcons did. Some years are just extraordinarily loaded at one position, like QB last year, and while it made sense to trade up for Luck or RG3 last year it makes none to trade up for a QB in this class.

Beyond that, I still maintain the Falcons sabotaged their long-term future with the Jones trade as they could have easily added a 2nd threat to go with Roddy White, (Torrey Smith #58, Randall Cobb #64), while also filling other holes in their pass rush (Mercilus #26), RB (Ingram, Doug Martin, David Wilson), and having a decent replacement for Gonzalez at TE (Rudolph, Kendrick) ready as well as secondary improvements. Sure, Julio has been spectacular at times, but so was Victor Cruz who got a ring last year and the gap between Julio Jones and Torrey Smith is not worth not getting 3 other impact players plus a couple of 4th rounders. Of course, it's easy to cherry pick how you would build a better roster with 5 additional picks, but when you strip it all away, Jones has been worth extactly 1 more playoff win than they had without him and now they will start having to rebuild without suitable replacements for Turner, Gonzo, and watching as guys like Dunta, Abraham and others age out of productivity relative to cap hit. Again, if the formula doesn't work for someone who was as secure a pick as Julio Jones, there is no way I would advocate moving up to a top 10 position to take anyone in this class. We don't need a franchise WR to pair with our franchise QB for the next decade like the Falcons did, we need a viable #2 to make it through the window of opportunity with Schaub, AJ, Foster, and the defense.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Way too early for me to start evaluating value of guys like Patterson or Allen, but Youtube highlights don't excite me at all as you guys were all wet over Devier Posey's limited highlights as well and quick to explain away the lack of production from guys like Stephen Hill and Al Toon which still dwarfs Patterson. Obviously, I've watched Williams and Swope more closely and certainly wouldn't complain about either being Texans at #27, but on it's surface I've got a major problem with a guy like Patterson who had 1/2 the production of these two last year, never mind career-wise, despite having a decent in QB Bray and a weaker than usual SEC. The guy had 1 catch vs Bama, 2 vs. Georgia & Miss St, and 3 vs. Mizzou, Vandy, and South Carolina. Hell, he only had 2 vs Akron, 3 vs. Georgia State, and 4 vs Kentucky. His only truly great game in his college career was vs. Troy. There is NO WAY there is enough there to justify a high first round pick, no matter what he does in the combine.

As for trading up, I think I CAN safely state that there is NO AJ Green or Julio Jones in this draft, worthy of a top 6 pick or trading away 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and 2 4th rounders as the Falcons did. Some years are just extraordinarily loaded at one position, like QB last year, and while it made sense to trade up for Luck or RG3 last year it makes none to trade up for a QB in this class.

Beyond that, I still maintain the Falcons sabotaged their long-term future with the Jones trade as they could have easily added a 2nd threat to go with Roddy White, (Torrey Smith #58, Randall Cobb #64), while also filling other holes in their pass rush (Mercilus #26), RB (Ingram, Doug Martin, David Wilson), and having a decent replacement for Gonzalez at TE (Rudolh, Kendrick) ready as well as secondary improvements. Sure, Julio has been spectacular at times, but so was Victor Cruz who got a ring last year and the gap between Julio Jones and Torrey Smith is not worth not getting 3 other impact players plus a couple of 4th rounders. Of course, it's easy to cherry pick how you would build a better roster with 5 additional picks, but when you strip it all away, Jones has been worth extactly 1 more playoff win than they had without him and now they will start having to rebuild without suitable replacements for Turner, Gonzo, and watching as guys like Dunta, Abraham and others age out of productivity relative to cap hit. Again, if the formula doesn't work for someone who was as secure a pick as Julio Jones, there is no way I would advocate moving up to a top 10 position to take anyone in this class. We don't need a franchise WR to pair with our franchise QB for the next decade like the Falcons did, we need a viable #2 to make it through the window of opportunity with Schaub, AJ, Foster, and the defense.

I dont necessary mean trade up to number 6 like the Falcons did and get one of the top receivers. I mean trade up in a range where you are certain the top receivers might go off the board.
A couple of teams could be in the market for a WR that is picking in front of us:

Dolphins
Rams (2 first round picks)
Vikings

Rams wouldnt be a such a bad trade partner to move up with since they have 2 first rounders. I am almost certain they will be looking for a WR early in the draft. Dolphins need a weapon for Tannehill and Vikes could be without Harvin and they need a weapon for Ponder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

Beyond that, I still maintain the Falcons sabotaged their long-term future with the Jones trade as they could have easily added a 2nd threat to go with Roddy White, (Torrey Smith #58, Randall Cobb #64), while also filling other holes in their pass rush (Mercilus #26), RB (Ingram, Doug Martin, David Wilson), and having a decent replacement for Gonzalez at TE (Rudolph, Kendrick) ready as well as secondary improvements. Sure, Julio has been spectacular at times, but so was Victor Cruz who got a ring last year and the gap between Julio Jones and Torrey Smith is not worth not getting 3 other impact players plus a couple of 4th rounders. Of course, it's easy to cherry pick how you would build a better roster with 5 additional picks, but when you strip it all away, Jones has been worth extactly 1 more playoff win than they had without him and now they will start having to rebuild without suitable replacements for Turner, Gonzo, and watching as guys like Dunta, Abraham and others age out of productivity relative to cap hit. Again, if the formula doesn't work for someone who was as secure a pick as Julio Jones, there is no way I would advocate moving up to a top 10 position to take anyone in this class. We don't need a franchise WR to pair with our franchise QB for the next decade like the Falcons did, we need a viable #2 to make it through the window of opportunity with Schaub, AJ, Foster, and the defense.

First off, Patterson was on a pretty deep roster in Tenn, and he came from JUCO, did you expect him to get the bulk of the passes? Don't be naive and use "stats" to tell you about a player. His athleticism and hands and body control show you all you need to know. The guy is a threat to take it to the house each time he touches the ball. Did you know his stats eerily resemble those of Jones and Andre Johnson after one full year as a starter in D-1. Those guys were top 10 picks because they flashed big time play making ability, just like Patterson. And because Patterson didn't do anything vs the BEST DEFENSE in the country and their entire offense got shut out, you're going to say he isn't elite? What about the 1 catch for 8 yards Jones had vs the mighty Mississippi and lets not act like Andre put up 100 yards and 2 tds every game. Not to mention Jones and Johnson had 3 years of D1 football to get better, Patterson came in from JUCO, which he dominated, and faced much better competition and still did amazing. The point is, he did great when the ball was in his hands and is a play maker at wr, pr, kr and a wild cat or half back type position. He is a useful tool that will open up our offense.

No one here LOVED the Posey pick, no one really knew anything about him except he continued to work hard even though he was suspended the full year. Everyone just chose to not be a debbie downer like you are all the time and try to see the positives he brings to the table.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

It's very rare that NFL players get by on talent, and when they do, they usually have very boom and bust production from game to game and season to season. The guys that are consistently great are the ones that prove with a full body of work that they are willing to put in the work to perfect fundamentals, keep their bodies in good condition, watch film for hours, and all that entails being a professional in the NFL. Yes, Patterson might be great. He's an athletic freak. But he's only had one year of production and had a very, very good QB throwing to him. Don't compare Andre Johnson to Patterson, as Andre produced for two years and got PT all three years he was in school on one of the most talented rosters in the history of college football.

And Apollo, it's Nick Toon, not Al Toon. I would make a smart age-related comment, but I'll abstain for now.

Sig by matthouston91
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After back to back division titles and playoff wins, going into next season is really a big deal. We are so close to being at the super bowl level. Without a doubt we are a top 4 team in the AFC, and we did destroy the AFC champs when it mattered least, so i dont think we are that far off

so here is my thought: We have plenty of picks and not a lot of holes.

Lets be real about a few things:

1. We aren't addressing RG or RT early in the draft. Kubiak seemed to love the way Newton progressed and the way that Jones stepped it up, not to mention we also have Brooks and Brandon Harris and who knows what is going to happen with Butler this off season. We took linemen with our 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks last season

2. We wont go QB until round 6 at the latest. Kubiak and Smith both seem to love Schuab and like Yates and i suspect they enjoy the company of Case, so unless someone drops to round 5 i dont see us addressing this need either

3. We probably dont address WR or Corner in the first 3 rounds. Personally i would look at WR in round 1, but i dont see us doing this. I think we will either sign a guy in FA or role with Johnson, Walter, Jean and Martin for the most part. Who knows when Posey will be back. Same thing in the secondary, we have tons of young guys like McCain, Harris and Carmichael as well as Ball and Routt and our starters are locked

So looking at those things, trying to be objective and think about what will happen, not what i want to happen, ive come to this conclusion:

COULD THIS BE THE YEAR WE MAKE A BIG TRADE TO GRAB A TOP TALENT?

Personally i think our down fall this season was our ILB inability to cover backs and tight ends in the passing game. Cushing will be back and we have a solid 3rd ILB in Sharpton (plus james and dobbins), but i would love to see us jump up and grab a Monti Teo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 25 of 63

Jump to: