Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Good is McCarthy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packerfanman4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: How Good is McCarthy? Reply with quote

After we won the Super Bowl, many hailed Mac as one of the top head coaches in the NFL. He is still widely regarded as one of the league's great minds but he has shown some of his weaknesses over the past two seasons that have some fans questioning how great he really is.

What do you all think about McCarthy? How does he rank among the NFL's coaches? What can he improve on?

We've had plenty of discussion about Capers and how he has done at DC since the Super Bowl, so I figure I would ask if everyone maintains the same opinion of our head man.

Thrillhouse wrote:
Scarlett's my top babe. She's like, Aaron Rodgers' tier. If mortals were worthy of Aaron's affections, that is.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarthy is pretty darn elite when you consider what he did this year with another injury plagued roster. Super Bowl, 15 wins, 13 wins this year, kinda hard to argue with that track record. Just need to give Dom a few more pieces and a healthier roster to see the results in the trophy case.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering he won 15 games with one of the worst defenses in NFL history and has won a Super Bowl, I'd say he's alright. Not having our RT and LT was a killer for this team. Mac gets away from the running game a little too easily sometimes, but if I am calling plays, I'd have a hard time taking the ball out of Rodgers' hands to put it into Dujuan Harris hands also. Mac is one of, if not the best QB developers in the game.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best

Conductor of the Gerod Holliman Hype Train
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's top knotch, but he's going to have to show he can adjust to teams playing largely zone coverage. The zone coverage with the two high safeties invites you to run the ball, but MM never seemed to take advantage of that. I think he needs to find a little more balance on offense, and also show more patience in methodically moving the ball down the field. He and Rodgers are a little too cute at times and look for homerun plays when they should be taking what the defense gives them. Their impatience at times puts a greater stress on the defense.
General_Bean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a great coach. I'd even discuss him with the top coaches in the NFL. I feel like he has done what little to few coaches can do in the NFL and that's work with numerous injuries and still make the playoffs. I wasn't a big fan on him at first considering his Offense in SF was near the bottom and i figured this guy doesnt know anything, but I'll admit, was way wrong.

In terms of improvements? I'd say sometimes he gets pass happy (and with Rodgers, how could you not?) and it puts our defense in tough situations, with constant 3 and outs. I mean I'm not expecting 7 pts every drive, but just an observation that abandons the run game a bit earlier than I would like him too.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In MM's 7 years as Packers head coach he has compiled a record of 74-38 and a Playoff Record of 6-4

-1 Losing Season (2008)
-3 Division Championships (2007,2011,2012)
-2 NFC Championship Appearances (2007,2011)
-1 Super Bowl Appearance/Championship (2011)

He's clearly one of the best coaches in the NFL and there really aren't a whole lot of guys that come to mind that I'd take over him. He's in the Elite NFL Coaching class, no doubt about it to me.
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes a phenomenal coach... players seem to respect him (even though hes sort of an oddball)... he has brilliant ideas/gameplans & seems to get the best from his players when he puts them in positions to succeed

does a great job at scheduling as far as i have seen

but hes also incredibly stubborn with his play calling & it shows in many situations throughout a season... he & capers both seem to have a stubbornness about play-calling/schemes

its very frustrating at times
GreenBlood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a very good coach. All he needs to do to become a great coach is learn how to use his running game!
GreenBlood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:

He's clearly one of the best coaches in the NFL and there really aren't a whole lot of guys that come to mind that I'd take over him. He's in the Elite NFL Coaching class, no doubt about it to me.

Do elite coaches take their RB who is averaging 5 yards per carry and bench him the entire second half of a playoff game?
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's great.

Not as good as Belichek or Harbaugh but his playcalling and ability to develop QBs is elite and he obviously responds very well to controversy.

I hope he is our HC for many years to come.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM runs an exciting offense to watch so how can anyone complain. He produces consistent winners and the team did not fall apart this year after they had so many key injuries. If TT can bring is a couple of tougher defensive players or some of the younger players can fill that role then this team will be excellent for a long long time. What more can a fan ask for.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBlood wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:

Do elite coaches take their RB who is averaging 5 yards per carry and bench him the entire second half of a playoff game?

...What?
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/How-do-you-stay-on-top/73e32509-6df8-4b83-a704-c5fdae886dbf
Eric from Spring Grove, PA wrote:
In the past four years, the Packers are 47-17 in the regular season with two NFC North championships and a 5-3 record in the postseason with a Super Bowl championship. This is an outrage!

Yeah that sums it up for me.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/How-do-you-stay-on-top/73e32509-6df8-4b83-a704-c5fdae886dbf
Eric from Spring Grove, PA wrote:
In the past four years, the Packers are 47-17 in the regular season with two NFC North championships and a 5-3 record in the postseason with a Super Bowl championship. This is an outrage!

Yeah that sums it up for me.

That's awesome, but screw it, fire McCarthy, any idiot could do better, we should never lose a game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBlood wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:

Although I would have love to see Harris continue running the ball in the second half I cannot get too upset with McCarthy for that. If you read his explanation it makes a lot of sense.

First drive of the second half Harris carried the ball the first two plays for 6 yards and on third down Rodgers was sacked.

Second drive of the second half they utilized the Cobb package and he ran the ball. They ended up getting a field goal and tied the game at 24.

Third drive of the second half (down by 7) they tried to open up the field and pass the ball. Unfortunately we could only get one first down and then had to punt.

San Francisco then went down and scored another touchdown to go up 14. We could have tried to continue to run at this point, but it was the start of the fourth quarter and we were down by 14, passing was a must. Plus we are a team that is capable of striking quickly and move the ball by passing. Unfortunately the passing game did not click, but I cannot fault McCarthy for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: