Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason 2013 Reply with quote

Took this list of FA from Scar's previous mock offseason.

ERFA's (Re-sign all)
QB Dominique Davis
RB Josh Vaughan
WR Drew Davis
WR Marcus Jackson
WR James Rodgers
WR Tim Toone
TE Chase Coffman
TE Andrew Szczerba
TE Tommy Gallarda
TE Adam Nissley
OG Jacques McLendon
OG Harland Gunn
OG Phillipkeith Manley
DT Micanor Regis
LB Pat Schiller
CB Peyton Thompson
LS Josh Harris

RFA's (Re-sign both)
TE Michael Palmer
CB Robert McClain

UFA's (Italicized names are ones re-signed)
QB Luke McCown
RB Antone Smith
FB Mike Cox
TE Tony Gonzalez
OT Sam Baker
OT Will Svitek
OG Garrett Reynolds
C Todd McClure
DE Lawrence Sidbury
DT Vance Walker
LB Mike Peterson
CB Brent Grimes
CB Chris Owens
S Chris Hope
S William Moore

Cut
Michael Turner
Peria Jerry
Dominique Franks

Retires
Tony Gonzalez
Todd McClure
Mike Peterson

Free Agency
Cliff Avril - 5 year 42.5 million
Glenn Dorsey - 2 year 8 million, with incentives, could up to 10 million
Mike Mitchell - 2 year vet minimum

2013 NFL Draft

1. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
Our pass rush is obviously the weakest part of the team. Ansah is an athletic freak who has the potential to become a top DE in the league. He won't be pressured to be extremely productive right away since we will already have established veterans in Abe, Kroy, and the newly signed Cliff Avril.

2. Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
At this point, some of you may see this pick and call it a reach. After the combine, you will be hoping he is here at our pick. Toilolo is a freak specimen standing at 6'8 and weighing 265 pounds. He is a redzone monster, and will help to fill the void left by Tony.

3. Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia
None of our DTs have the size to truly clog lanes like a NT should. Geathers can be our fat man in the middle with his 6'6 350 pound frame. SEC battle tested, the Georgia Bulldog will be happy to stay close to his alma mater.

4. Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada
This guy is a sleeper. He comes out of Nevada having worked with Chris Ault and the pistol formation. He hasn't faced the stiffest competition, but he has had some gaudy games. Dominating at an elite level, (7 TD against Hawaii) Jefferson was 2nd in the nation in rushing yds and TDs.

5. Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
Jenkins may not last this long, but he did have an injury plagued season which may cause him to drop. We had a tough time covering even the most average of TEs, so Jenkins will come in with his elite athleticism and try to correct this problem.

6. Sam Schwartzstein, C, Stanford
We need depth at C with McClure retiring. Schwartzstein is a prototypical TD pick.

7. Corey Broomfield, CB, Mississippi State
Another depth pick. Had a great career at Mississippi State, contributing since his freshman year.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.

Last edited by JonnyQuest on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpicyMcHaggis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With there being a lot of quality free agent tight ends, replace the acquisition of mike mitchell for one of the tight ends.

round two, take a DB like Logan Ryan or David Amerson.

make those changes, great draft.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpicyMcHaggis wrote:
With there being a lot of quality free agent tight ends, replace the acquisition of mike mitchell for one of the tight ends.

round two, take a DB like Logan Ryan or David Amerson.

make those changes, great draft.

I don't see any quality tight ends making it to free agency. I doubt the Jets will part with Dustin Keller, Bennett has played well enough to stay a Giant, and Titans have stated they will franchise Cook if a deal cannot be reached. That leaves guys like Brandon Myers, Fred Davis, Delanie Walker, and Anthony Fasano. I'd rather draft a guy with potential.

adam9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
I'd be fine with this.

Sounds like a nice offseason but id be for resigning grimes.

2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimeyKid wrote:
adam9 wrote:
I'd be fine with this.

Sounds like a nice offseason but id be for resigning grimes.

Pretty much same as me. I'll take this exact offseason and draft love everything about it. Just resign Grimes and call it a day. Even if we have to cut Robinson to do it i would still do it.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like us to re-sign Grimes as well, but I just don't see it happening. I think the front office will look at how our secondary held up without him and see him as a luxury. He isn't going to command top dollar anymore, but he definitely won't be cheap. Grimes is aging, and as a vastly undersized CB that relied on his quickness/vertical, an achilles injury may relegate him to pre-Optimus Grimes form when everyone wanted him cut. Money can be spent elsewhere, and we have to hope that Robert McClain isn't a one year wonder.

birdman70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this offseason a lot. Was just reading about how Matt Ryan is probably going to sign a megadeal. Not sure if we'd be able to afford Grimes when we have big holes to fill in other areas. Salary cap management is going to be challenging.
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok but seems unrealistic. How often do drafts and free agency go as fans like them too. It's be nice to see some out of the box thinking from everyone, not one person in specific
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
It's ok but seems unrealistic. How often do drafts and free agency go as fans like them too. It's be nice to see some out of the box thinking from everyone, not one person in specific

What do you find to be unrealistic and what do you define as out of the box thinking?

Last edited by JonnyQuest on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say last offseason went the way fans wanted. We did not get Charles Johnson, but we were right in the thick of the sweepstakes. People were very happy with Ray Edwards especially considering his rather cheap deal. Konz was also BPA/filled a need.

tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love your draft, but I just don't see us grabbing another DE via free agency. Falcons brass has been burned once, I don't see them doing that again this year. I also don't know what cap ramification cutting Jerry would have, but it is my understanding that with Baker, Moore and Grimes possibly being resigned, our cap room is very very limited.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
I really love your draft, but I just don't see us grabbing another DE via free agency. Falcons brass has been burned once, I don't see them doing that again this year. I also don't know what cap ramification cutting Jerry would have, but it is my understanding that with Baker, Moore and Grimes possibly being resigned, our cap room is very very limited.

I don't think Baker will command a contract that would hurt our cap room too much. He had a decent year, and he is injury prone. I would think TD signs him to a short term deal to make him prove he can stay healthy as well as perform consistently.

I'm not a cap expert by any means, and these offseason moves were based on rough estimations. I really do hope that we have enough money to acquire a veteran DE because I don't like the idea of relying on a rookie to provide constant pressure. Abe might not be as reliable next year, and if he is injured for a lengthy period, our defense will collapse.

I believe the release of Jerry would give us around 1 million more in cap room.

SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for RB we need to get Jawan Jamison from Rutgers....reminds me a lot of ray rice/doug martin

Quizz and Jamison would be a great 1-2 punch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Cl8q78k14
DrawABlank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
for RB we need to get Jawan Jamison from Rutgers....reminds me a lot of ray rice/doug martin

Quizz and Jamison would be a great 1-2 punch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Cl8q78k14

Hi SpoonFed

I'd like to learn more about Jamison, because I have to admit I'm mystified as to the appeal. I will admit that I've only seen 1 Rutgers game this year (the Bowl game vs VT), and the only other thing I've seen is the draftbreakdown "complete" game vs ARK.

But I see a smaller back who is very good in the passing game (both as a receiver and in protection) but who lacks the vision decisiveness and physical ability to be a real threat on early downs. He averaged only 4.2 ypc for this year (4.05 ypc career), and in the Big East (not exactly the SEC)

When we have Jacquizz on the roster as a small 3rd down type back with some between the tackles ability, why would we look at Jamison rather than a Taylor, Gilleslee or Christine Michael?

----

Back on topic - nice offseason JQ. Not entirely convinced a FA DE is the right direction (although Avril is a nice player) and I hate Geathers that high, but I wouldn't complain too much if we went in this direction.

Foster-A-Falcon: Matt Bryant
2013 Stats: 24/27 FG (88.9%), 39/39 XP (100%)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: