Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if we don't get a WR in FA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will FA be a failure if we do not get one of Wallace, Jennings or Bowe?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Daryl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not a failure because the entire organization is singing the same song and that is that they want to build through the draft. The owner has said that twice since our season ended that should clue you in. FA is just going to be to see if they can find select pieces that fit at the right prices like it has been for the past few years. Also keep in mind that two of the three WR mentioned are hurt or recovering from injury. The bottom line is if their current team is willing to let them walk WHY are they willing to let them walk. The only exceptions would be Pitt because they have proven for a long time that they won't over pay for anyone.

I think you draft Two WRs in the top rounds and you run with it. If we're sitting there at 12 and there are no DE or CB we like at the spot I think you Jump all over a Cordelle Patterson. Some will say it was a reach and blah blah blah but they said the same thing about Bruce Irvin when Seattle drafted him in the first some said 8 was to high for Tannehill but if the player fits your and you have a conviction about him you take him. Its better to over draft a player than to not get him at all.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really want Bowe unless we got him to come here for a discount. What we need in this offense is a WR like Wallace who can take the top off. Jennings would be good too, but I wouldn't want to overpay for either. So if they both want too much money, then I'd say I'd be glad if we didn't get them. Let's look to the draft to find that guy and then fill other spots in FA with solid guys to fill holes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
We agree that having a 1,000 yard receiving type TE on the roster is a priority. But I look at it this way.

We don't know yet if we already have one on the roster. Clay is entering his third year which is a common breakout year for receivers. He may also be starting if Fasano leaves. We've seen flashes of what he is capable of.

We do know, however, what we have at WR. Which is a pile of crap. I'd rather throw draft picks / cash at a position I know is garbage than one that may be fine.

I respect your opinion & its tru we do need another quality WR. But I disagre on the level of priority based on the ratio of WRs to TEs & how it specifically applies to the West Coast off. If we were any other offense I would agree with you.

sug
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
SUG wrote:
Absolutely not.
As I have said before the really good West Coast Off clearly put a higher premium on their TEs anyway. I wil be highly disspointed if we do not add a STUD TE this off season.

sug

SUG,

while I agree that a good / great TE is necessary in most modern NFL offenses, we currently have 3 TEs under contract. I don't want to get rid of Fasano. He will be a good #2 TE, and a great guy to have around for the run game. I would be vehemently against Clay somehow not being on the team next season. While his development has been slower than most of us anticipated, I still have high hopes for him becoming a legitimately dangerous #1 TE. As far as Egnew is concerned, I don't think you cut ties with such a high draft pick after 1 season of riding pine.

Basically, this team doesn't need to add a TE this offseason. We have other more pressing needs (WR, RG, RT, DE).

I will be disappointed if we don't sign one of Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe (in that order) AND draft a WR in the top 3 rounds who will immediately push Hartline for the #2 spot.

I just realized Fasano is a FA this offseason. Second time I forgot that Laughing .

I'd rather sign him back for a modest deal than spend a high draft pick on a rookie TE.

Hi cd, A couple points of interest here.

* I love Fasano & would like to bring him back for at least 1 more yr. I'd also like for
him to mentor a new young stud.

* I do not have faith that Egnew will pan out to be a TE on our roster.

* I'd keep Charles Clay as an all around utility player knowing well Bush may not be back also that he
is susceptible to injuries at this point in his career.
Clay play's in line TE & he makes plays in the open field. But I believe he has both FB & STs in his resume. (I like C.Clay)

And since I do not believe this regime/Philbin will draft a WR with pks 1 or 2A, I see Egnew as expendable.
No way will Philbin tie up another Off playmaker position on the roster over Egnew, he can't afford to.

Underline: I believe the fact BMarsh was cut was more than a salary issue.

I just look at the success Philbin had scouting/acquiring quality WRs in GB & see him doing the same in Mia.
(late 2nd - 3rd & 4th rnd)
I don't see us drafting a WR till rnd 2B at the earliest therefore ...
* land the more elusive/higher value target whom is out numbered 3 - 1 on the field at all times. Cause the opposite will get you another A. Fasano
* a real playmaking TE that clears the rd for the other WRs with constant double teams.
* The guy that 1 CB/S may not be able to tackle in the open field
* the RZ target
* GB never got it done with 1 STUD WR, they always stock 3 quality Wrs/ high caliber # 2 WRs. (whatever)
* It's no coincidence the league is trending towards playmaking TEs, it's about creating missmatches.

Why would you want to wait & get passed up by everyone else when your only trying to land 1 STUD TE ???

Look I understand the urgency of Mia getting the vert gm goin here but ... I sense a lack of faith in Philbin's capabilities to identify those late 2nd/3rd & 4th rnd WRs now that 2 of the 3 IDIOTS are gone.
You now those guys "2 outta 3 things happen when you throw the ball & they ain't good". Were down to Ireland & Philbin is " the Mia resident expert in the West Coast Off".

Consider it

sug

Really? So at what point did Philbin scout receivers in Green Bay? I heard a lot of the positives surrounding Philbin and have never heard scout associated with his credentials. My point is Ireland is the GM of this team, not Philbin. It is plausible Miami will wait until the 3rd round to draft a WR but I fail to see your logic when Philbin was not drafting or in control of personnel decisions.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be in Free Agency, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted a guy like Keenan Allen, but I will be pretty upset if we don't address the position. I'd like to see how Tannehill will fare with some weapons.

Nacho Simulation Football League
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have already convinced myself that Jennings will be a Dolphin next season.....so not seeing him in a Phins uniform may be feel like a failure. I think it will come down to what they actually did with the Off-season....if they fail to land one of the "big 3" and don't address the O-line, Pass Rush or Defensive backs then I will say it is a failure. I mean they have the resources, the cap space, the draft picks....if this team doesn't sign and draft enough players to vastly improve the talent on this team then I will join Merc in calling for Ireland's Head.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
SUG wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
SUG wrote:
Absolutely not.
As I have said before the really good West Coast Off clearly put a higher premium on their TEs anyway. I wil be highly disspointed if we do not add a STUD TE this off season.

sug

SUG,

while I agree that a good / great TE is necessary in most modern NFL offenses, we currently have 3 TEs under contract. I don't want to get rid of Fasano. He will be a good #2 TE, and a great guy to have around for the run game. I would be vehemently against Clay somehow not being on the team next season. While his development has been slower than most of us anticipated, I still have high hopes for him becoming a legitimately dangerous #1 TE. As far as Egnew is concerned, I don't think you cut ties with such a high draft pick after 1 season of riding pine.

Basically, this team doesn't need to add a TE this offseason. We have other more pressing needs (WR, RG, RT, DE).

I will be disappointed if we don't sign one of Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe (in that order) AND draft a WR in the top 3 rounds who will immediately push Hartline for the #2 spot.

I just realized Fasano is a FA this offseason. Second time I forgot that Laughing .

I'd rather sign him back for a modest deal than spend a high draft pick on a rookie TE.

Hi cd, A couple points of interest here.

* I love Fasano & would like to bring him back for at least 1 more yr. I'd also like for
him to mentor a new young stud.

* I do not have faith that Egnew will pan out to be a TE on our roster.

* I'd keep Charles Clay as an all around utility player knowing well Bush may not be back also that he
is susceptible to injuries at this point in his career.
Clay play's in line TE & he makes plays in the open field. But I believe he has both FB & STs in his resume. (I like C.Clay)

And since I do not believe this regime/Philbin will draft a WR with pks 1 or 2A, I see Egnew as expendable.
No way will Philbin tie up another Off playmaker position on the roster over Egnew, he can't afford to.

Underline: I believe the fact BMarsh was cut was more than a salary issue.

I just look at the success Philbin had scouting/acquiring quality WRs in GB & see him doing the same in Mia.
(late 2nd - 3rd & 4th rnd)
I don't see us drafting a WR till rnd 2B at the earliest therefore ...
* land the more elusive/higher value target whom is out numbered 3 - 1 on the field at all times. Cause the opposite will get you another A. Fasano
* a real playmaking TE that clears the rd for the other WRs with constant double teams.
* The guy that 1 CB/S may not be able to tackle in the open field
* the RZ target
* GB never got it done with 1 STUD WR, they always stock 3 quality Wrs/ high caliber # 2 WRs. (whatever)
* It's no coincidence the league is trending towards playmaking TEs, it's about creating missmatches.

Why would you want to wait & get passed up by everyone else when your only trying to land 1 STUD TE ???

Look I understand the urgency of Mia getting the vert gm goin here but ... I sense a lack of faith in Philbin's capabilities to identify those late 2nd/3rd & 4th rnd WRs now that 2 of the 3 IDIOTS are gone.
You now those guys "2 outta 3 things happen when you throw the ball & they ain't good". Were down to Ireland & Philbin is " the Mia resident expert in the West Coast Off".

Consider it

sug

Really? So at what point did Philbin scout receivers in Green Bay? I heard a lot of the positives surrounding Philbin and have never heard scout associated with his credentials. My point is Ireland is the GM of this team, not Philbin. It is plausible Miami will wait until the 3rd round to draft a WR but I fail to see your logic when Philbin was not drafting or in control of personnel decisions.

My point is that there is nothing in Irelands resume (and I mean nothing) that serves as evidence that he has skill at identifying much less acquiring WRs or a QBs to date.
Furthermore there is nothing in Irelands res that indicates acquiring any form of talent in the relm of a QB centric passing offense & even less in the West Coast Offense.

Why anyone would second guess S. Ross's decision to go in the direction of Philbin is beyond me.

If you would be so kind as to point out the overwhelming success of WR acquisitions in Mia the past 5 yrs I'd appreciate it.

And all of a sudden in Mia WC Off a the argument for a STUD TE isn't legit !?!?

sug
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
I think I have already convinced myself that Jennings will be a Dolphin next season.....so not seeing him in a Phins uniform may be feel like a failure. I think it will come down to what they actually did with the Off-season....if they fail to land one of the "big 3" and don't address the O-line, Pass Rush or Defensive backs then I will say it is a failure. I mean they have the resources, the cap space, the draft picks....if this team doesn't sign and draft enough players to vastly improve the talent on this team then I will join Merc in calling for Ireland's Head.
People had Matt flynn as a shoe in for the dolphins last year and choas happened when it didnt but it may have worked out for the better. Same thing will probably happen here with jennings
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
People had Matt flynn as a shoe in for the dolphins last year and choas happened when it didnt but it may have worked out for the better. Same thing will probably happen here with jennings

I don't think Philbin wanted Matt Flynn....they Low Balled him (or offered what they thought he was worth) and he signed with a higher bidder...Philbin spent every day with the guy in practive and knew if he could be an NFL starter....what was offered showed they didn't believe he could be (or at least wasn't better then Moore).

In the end they need to improve the talent on this roster anyway they can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I don't think Philbin wanted Matt Flynn....they Low Balled him (or offered what they thought he was worth) and he signed with a higher bidder...Philbin spent every day with the guy in practive and knew if he could be an NFL starter....what was offered showed they didn't believe he could be (or at least wasn't better then Moore).

I know miami low balled him and wanted him to compete for a spot cause they wanted to draft a QB all along. What I am saying is dont be surprised if miami decides not to get into a bidding war for him. My point is dont count your chickens before they hatch the same way everybody did with flynn cause you end up real disapointed when that happens
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I know miami low balled him and wanted him to compete for a spot cause they wanted to draft a QB all along. What I am saying is dont be surprised if miami decides not to get into a bidding war for him. My point is dont count your chickens before they hatch the same way everybody did with flynn cause you end up real disapointed when that happens

I'm fine if they don't get Jennings as long as they make use of all this cap space in a way to improve the talent on the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, it would be a failure if we didnt sign one of those 3 receivers
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will only be a failure if we don't get any weapons this off season. If we don't go sign WRs, trade for one, draft a TE or trade for a TE. If we don't make any moves it will be a failure.

If we don't sign one of the 3, then i see us drafting a guy in the 1st round

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: