Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Patriots Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patriotprospect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this off season will pretty much be the beginning of a slow but inevitable patriots transition. Moving away from Welker and the offense he brings, for example. Adjusting our identity as an offense, since Gronk and Hernandez are both going to stay here but we need to improve the WR position. What will happen when Brady retires? Will we rely more on the running game with Ridley and company? All this things will not happen next season, but it's something to start thinking about (in terms of ideology and identity with new personnel through FA and draft)

In terms of defense, I like the foundation at LB and a few pieces in the secondary. But will we see the same quality from Dennard and Talib next season? i hope so, but we still need answer at #3 and definitely at Safety. The most important part is of course DL, interior wise. I love Jones, but we will see how he plays next season after the whole injury thing goes away? We need more pass rush, before the elite playing from Wilfork goes away (he is not young)

In terms of coaching, I sure hope BB brings in a defensive coordination and that Josh is not back as OC (though i doubt either of these things will happen)

And as much as i love Brady, we have to eventually start looking for a replacement. I highly doubt we will wait till he collapses due to injury and we end up with one of the top draft picks to get a QB (like the colts did with luck). I would prefer the route that the Packers took with Rodgers. I am not too high on mallet

Mike Matt 2011 on the sig
x0x wrote:
All hail Bilichick, Brady is a complete product, there's a reason he was picked 199th overall.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
The Welker decision will really tell us how much Brady factors into personnel decisions at receiver. We know he was pissed when they traded Branch, I'd imagine he'd be similarly upset if they let Wes walk. Even though its the right decision to let him go by almost every other metric, the Brady factor might trump all that.

Other than that, re-signing Talib and Vollmer is of paramount importance. And for goodness sake, get Vince a reliable interior d-line partner or two. Re-sign Edelman and draft a shiny new receiver. And last but not least, a safety that can make us forget about Chung and allow Gregory be a nickel/dime player exclusively.

I don't think a RT for $8M+ (unless he's willing to take a decent discount or his injuries scare off every other team) is of paramount importance.

As much as I like Vollmer and as much as his talent is worth big bucks, I just don't know that spending big money on RT is worth it.

Letting Chung go seems like a no-brainer at this point and I really would be surprised if the Pats even extend an offer to him.

Not like we're short on cap space, especially if they make the smart move and let Welker go. And they've done this before just last offseason, I don't think anyone in that front office thought Welker was worth 9.5m, but they deemed it an acceptable number because of his importance (perceived or otherwise) and the amount of cap space at their disposal.

Well, here's the issue. You let Welker go (-$9.5M) and bring back Vollmer (his cap hit is currently about $1M and it probably jumps to $7M). You now have only $3M to find a new WR and upgrade the defense.

I know there is other cap room to use and such, but not so much where they can find a Welker replacement, upgrade the DL in a meaningful way, boost the secondary and re-sign Vollmer to a big contract.

Re-signing Vollmer probably means going cheap somewhere on D unless they find other ways to free up cap room and right now I'm 100% against anything that takes money away from re-vamping the D.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patriotprospect wrote:
In terms of coaching, I sure hope BB brings in a defensive coordination
The Pats already have a defensive coordinator, and when he had the right tools to work with, that defense was playing awfully well
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Outside receiver has to be top priority

I thought you werent allowed to talk about WRs.

Though speaking of coaches im interested in if Daboll is to help develop WRs or if he'll be a QBs coach.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
patriotprospect wrote:
The Pats already have a defensive coordinator, and when he had the right tools to work with, that defense was playing awfully well

Yeah, I thought Patricia really started to settle in nicely once he had a functioning secondary. I had no problems at all with the playcalling on defense and the development of the younger players (Francis, Hightower, Dennard, even Spikes's continuing progress) is a good sign for that staff.

The issue is talent, specifically DB depth and (IMO most of all) their DL in sub packages. It has been a major issue for awhile now and Belichick has to address it if that defense is ever going to get back to a unit which can take over games.

Any QB with time to throw is going to find open guys. That's the new NFL for you. Pushing the interior of the pocket is something the Pats have not been able to do consistently in years.
Richter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Any QB with time to throw is going to find open guys. That's the new NFL for you. Pushing the interior of the pocket is something the Pats have not been able to do consistently in years.

Any chance we could get this posted in giant, flaming letters outside Foxboro?
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is going on? Talib and Chandler didn't play today. We meed Talib back & could a de opposite Chandler. Other than that, none of high draft picks or serious free agent dollars should go towards the defense.

Our offense scored 13 points today. The fans blaming the.defense for todays loss arw delusional.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
What is going on? Talib and Chandler didn't play today. We meed Talib back & could a de opposite Chandler. Other than that, none of high draft picks or serious free agent dollars should go towards the defense.

Our offense scored 13 points today. The fans blaming the.defense for todays loss arw delusional.

You suck.

ELRammy
patriotprospect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
patriotprospect wrote:

True, I completely blanked out on Patricia when i typed that. I guess what i meant was more about the separation of duties. How much of the defense do you think is BB and how much Patricia, in terms of power, game plan, and play calling? I am completely ignorant on this one

Though i definitely agree that the defense was improving. It sucks Talib went down, the game plan went down the drain due to lack of personnel

Mike Matt 2011 on the sig
x0x wrote:
All hail Bilichick, Brady is a complete product, there's a reason he was picked 199th overall.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same deal as 2010 and 2011. Defenses with the proper personnel (aka the good defenses a team will face deep in the playoffs) have little trouble shutting us down. We scored 13 points. This is on the offense, more specifically our "scheme". We ask TB to do too much & when one of the critical functions goes down (Gronk), we become even more susceptible to exposure.

Its tough because we were without our best corner & best receiving weapon. Asking us to beat a team who so clearly has our number was a tall task. If Gronkowski and Talib are healthy, this is obviously a very different game.

This off season seems pretty simple.

Get rid of Welker and Woodhead. Keep Talib, Volmer, Edleman, and Arrington. Add a safety (Golshon, Byrd, or Reed) in free agency. Draft one of the athletic receivers high in round 1, go DE in round 2

Pattersons who I want. Every Patriots fan needs to become very familiar with him. He could be the Aldon Smith of receivers. Remember 2 years ago, when everybody was "Aldon Smith is so raw! Huge bust potential!", but others were also like "Ridiculous upside due to crazy athleticism, with proper coaching could be elite". What happened? Patterson is similar. His overall athleticism is the best I have seen since young money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXqAtF1--M

Nobody in professional football moves like Cordarelle Patterson. The athleticism which Patterson routinely displays is staggering. He is more raw, but Patterson is more athletic than Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green - you know. He is 6'3 (prob. more like 6'2 1/2), ran 40s 4.21, 4.24, and 4.26 at UT's summer practices, and possesses unthinkable agility & change of direction for someone his size.

This guy, added to our offense opposite Lloyd, with Gronk and Hernandez underneath, would be unbelievable.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are incorrect.

ELRammy
young juice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Arrington? I hate him almost as much as I hate Ellis Hobbs.

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young juice wrote:
Keep Arrington? I hate him almost as much as I hate Ellis Hobbs.

He's a depth cornerback. Most of them aren't very good. The alternative is a guy like Marquice Cole (who as we saw today is worse).

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
young juice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe Dowling can actually stay healthy or Martin can beat out Arrington during camp

even bring in a vet like Quinton Jammer

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Welker and Vollmer are gone, have they done enough to deserve those contracts? That's a huge chunk of cap space to pay, the kind of stuff that would keep those guys around so we have to bring in a raft of average FA's for chump change. I'd rather go into it and spend it on a few coveted pieces.

In terms of the draft, trade down and get what we can in rounds 4-6 where we don't have any picks. The talent really levels out after the first handful of picks.

Last edited by goldfishwars on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: