Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My mock off-season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: My mock off-season Reply with quote

To begin, this took HOURS to complete, and I did not proof read Shocked I hope you enjoy. If there are mistakes sorry, let me know and I will fix it. I tried to be realistic and also provide my input. I think this would be a GREAT off-season, but who knows. Anyway, post comments and provide your off-season mock.

First to deal with our free agents.

Sign these guys

Alan Ball - If we are going to re-sign ANY of the corners, I would re-sign him. Not only is he better at slot than McCain, but he is better as a special teamer. Brandon Harris has not shown enough to trust him in the slot full time, but he did show promise, so hopefully he can over come Ball at some point next season. Sign Ball to a 1 or 2 year deal for a low amount.

Bradie James - This one I struggle with, not because he is good, but because he could be good depth, I just don't think he would want to be here as a back up/special teams player. But Maybe we keep him anyway, one more season.

Connor Barwin - ONLY re-sign if it is cheap. He really took a step back and provided little as a pass rusher, but he really sealed the edge vs the run, very little runs came from the outside. Plus if he walks, we still need to fill the hole left at OLB, keeping him would be the cheapest (hopefully) and simplest. If he commands too much, prepare to draft a guy.

Glover Quin - He might actually be our first priority this off-season. He is a great run stuffing safety and very good in coverage vs TEs and Rbs, losing him only hurts us down the road against the Patriots. Don't over pay for a non play making safety, but know he is important to our defense. We just need to add a 3rd safety to prevent those deep passes against us.

Justin Forsett - Again, this depends on price, but I would try to retain him. Knowing I want to get rid of Tate, but knowing any rookie I bring in may take time to develop. Make him our number 2 for 1 or 2 seasons. He has the ability to step in as our starter if Foster misses some games.

Ryan Harris - I would offer pretty much the minimum to him. He knows our system, is younger, fresher and up to date on our playbook compared to Rashard Butler. The goal is to get a younger tackle to compete with Derek Newton. We will have 2 average back ups between Harris, Newton and a rookie.

Mister Alexander - He is an ERFA, offer him the minimum and he has to take it. Cheap for a guy who knows the system and is average hwen in the game.

Andrew Gardner - He is a RFA and I doubt he gets an offer, but again, I think its time to upgrade the depth and that means letting go of the useless guys. But I have a feeling he is brought back, so I am saying to re-sign him, even though I would not.

Let these guys walk

Rashard Butler - Isn't going to be a starter and we need to make plans to get a better RT while upgrading the depth all around.

Antione Caldwell - Same as Butler. The talent has surpassed him and the depth is already equally as good as he is.

James Casey - Its not that I do not want him back, but I think he may get a solid offer from another team (Patriots or someone trying to become them). I think a true FB with a better wr and a better blocking TE would suffice. We could try to be more creative by shifting OD or Graham to fb to cause mis matches.

Shaun Cody - He is older, and frankly not very good IMO. Time to move on.

Quintin Demps - Can we please move on from this disaster already. Im tired of watching him give up huge plays all the time because he is not disciplined enough to stay deep.

Tim Dobbins - Frankly Im ready to improve the depth at ILB, and it starts by getting rid of the bad players.

Keyaron Fox - Who the **** is this.

Shayne Graham - Im ready to see Bullock. This will greatly improve our average starting position allowed.

Donnie Jones - He was ok, but I feel younger guys with a more powerful leg would be better, plus cheaper and more long term.

Brice McCain - Its time to move on from this under sized over rated slot corner.

Jesse Nading - Can we please move on from him, he doesn't provide anything useful to this squad.

Stanford Routt - Did not show anything to deserve to come back, couldn't even beat out Harris.

Barrett Ruud - I would actually consider signing him to a cheap contract. He was ok in coverage, except for the Patriots, but that was Wades fault for assuming he could keep up with those guys. But ultimately I chose to let him walk.

After all these moves we have holes at WR, ILB, NT, S, RT and depth at corner, and along the oline, not to mention we need depth at DE and OLB plus another RB.

Free Agents I would consider if available

Wes Welker - The more I think about it, the more I think he becomes a free agent. Im not sure what he would command on the market, but if we can afford him, we should make a move. He would be an excellent upgrade to the slot and would be a valuable asset to Matt and our young wide outs. His personality would fit with our team as well. Others: Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Louis Murphy, Steve Smith (Rams), Brandon Tate. (LOTS of potential slot guys for our team)

Victor Butler - With Kiffin coming in, there is a chance some guys are on their way out, he was a back up to Anthony Spencer and may not be re-signed if they shift to a 4-3. He could be a decent depth signing at OLB for us. Others: Quentin Groves, Aaron Maybin, Erik Walden, Chris Wilson.

Trade

Ben Tate - Detroit Lions trade a 5th round pick for Tate, even if Lions don't, pick a team in need of a rb and trade him.

NFL Draft

Round 1 - Cordarrelle Patterson WR, a big speedy wide out with great hands. Nice route running and can shield defenders with his body. This play maker is EXACTLY what this offense needs and it is another big guy for the red zone. He will learn A LOT from Andre and will immediately help this offense.

Round 2 - Kawann Short NT, a fast one gap nose tackle. Explosive and very quick to diagnose plays. He is very disruptive and has room to bulk up more to get better at holding the POA. He should greatly help our pass rushing by collapsing the pocket.

Round 3 - Rick Wagner OT, an athletic OT that fills a need. He has experience at both LT and RT and could add depth if nothing else. I expect him to compete and split time immediately with Newton at RT. Doesn't hurt he is a converted TE nor does it hurt he is from Wisconsin, our favorite college Smile

Round 3 - AJ Klein ILB, a play making ILB who is side line to side line. He will compete to start day 1 and can help make an impact on TEs and RBs, plus is athletic enough to help blitz from the middle allowing Cushing to do other things.

Round 4 - Cooper Taylor SS, A rangy safety who is smart, athletic and a great build. Had a GREAT shrine game week and game day and really helped his stock. A great combine will elevate him even hirer, hopefully we get a chance to grab him in the 4th. He has TONS of potential and will be a solid choice as a 3rd safety.

Round 5 - Zach Sudfeld TE, remember this name. He has gone through tons of injuries throughout his career at Nevada, but he is super athletic, great size and finally healthy. He put up good stats his senior year and has shown the ability to be a good blocker. A great combine should lift his stock.

Round 5 - David Quessenberry OG, a good sized guard who is pretty athletic. He will take some time getting use to the speed of the NFL but he is solid depth.

Round 6 - Mike James RB, a veteran back with low miles from the "U". Great one cut and go runner, great hands and good pass blocking skills. He would be a GREAT 3rd back and will push for back up duties come seasons end. I really like him.

Round 6 - Tyrann Mathieu CB, if there, why the heck not? Take a chance on a guy with big time ability, I doubt he will be here though.

Round 6 - Joe Vellano DE, a non stop DE from Maryland who dominated in 2011 and played well through injuries in 2012. A run stuffing, sack generator who will fit in nicely with Watt and Cushing as being a gym rat with 100% commitment to the team and film room. He will be a riser after the combine, watch.

Round 6 - Ryan Allen P, a big leg, good athlete and younger and cheaper than Jones. He had 12 plus punts of 55 yards or more and an uncanny ability to place the ball within the 20. 43.5 NET per punt. Back to back Ray Guy (best punter in CFB) winner, FIRST TIME EVER, don't miss out on this guy Rick Smith.

Round 7 - Braden Wilson FB, a solid runner but a big time blocker. I just want a FB here.

Qb - Matt Schaub, TJ Yates
RB - Arian Foster, Justin Forsett, Mike James
FB - Tyler Clutts, Braden Wilson
WR - Andre Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Wes Welker, Devier Posey, Keyshawn Martin
TE - Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, Zach Sudfeld
LT - Duane Brown, Rick Wagner, Andrew Gardner
OG - Wade Smith, Cody White
C - Chris Myers, Ben Jones
OG - Brandon Brooks, David Quessenberry
RT - Derek Newton, Ryan Harris

DE - Antonio Smith, Jared Crick
NT - Kawann Short, Earl Mitchell
DE - JJ Watt, Joe Vellano
OLB - Connor Barwin, Whitney Mercilus, Bryan Braman
ILB - Brian Cushing, AJ Klein, Bradie James, Mister Alexander
OLB - Brooks Reed, Victor Butler
CB - JJo, Kareem Jackson, Alan Ball, Brandon Harris, Tyrann Mathieu, Roc CarMichael
SS - Daniel Manning, Cooper Taylor, Eddie Pheasant
FS - Glover Quin, Shiloh Keo

P - Ryan Allen
K - Randy Bullock

Last edited by amazingandre on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize the effort because I am working on my own mock off-season, right now & it's taking FOREVER (I am also working on contract #'s) Wink

A few comments:
(1) Dead on about GQ

(2) Welker is going to cost too much UNLESS he cuts us a sweet heart of a deal (also remember Reliant is where he ended up getting injured... ssoooo don't think so)

(3) Don't agree about Dobbins - excellent ST and MAN among boys on the run defense (BUT HE CANNOT COVER)

(4) I don't think we keep all our picks (12 rookies???)

(5) Like this last off-season, I do not think we will sign big name free agents (we will focus on our own, maybe one extension, and look for vets who want a chance to play for a contender)
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
I recognize the effort because I am working on my own mock off-season, right now & it's taking FOREVER (I am also working on contract #'s) Wink

A few comments:
(1) Dead on about GQ

(2) Welker is going to cost too much UNLESS he cuts us a sweet heart of a deal (also remember Reliant is where he ended up getting injured... ssoooo don't think so)

(3) Don't agree about Dobbins - excellent ST and MAN among boys on the run defense (BUT HE CANNOT COVER)

(4) I don't think we keep all our picks (12 rookies???)

(5) Like this last off-season, I do not think we will sign big name free agents (we will focus on our own, maybe one extension, and look for vets who want a chance to play for a contender)

While I agree about Welker, he WILL be 32 and not getting younger to start the season and we are in contention for a super bowl, plus he would get a good contract, as we will have SOME money to sign him. I did provide other options in case we cannot afford him.

Yea Dobbins is good vs the run, but its not like he was a starter anyway. I feel we can get a better starter and then have good back ups, I guess you could swap James and Dobbins.

I think we would have no problems drafting 12 guys, because we need an over haul on special teams. Young fast talent can help with that. Plus certain positions would be best suited to be filled through the draft when it comes to acquiring a starter like NT and ILB, and a play maker at wr would be a bonus and the best/cheapest route is through the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we come out with that offseason it would be a success.

Quote:
Sign these guys

Alan Ball - If we are going to re-sign ANY of the corners, I would re-sign him. Not only is he better at slot than McCain, but he is better as a special teamer. Brandon Harris has not shown enough to trust him in the slot full time, but he did show promise, so hopefully he can over come Ball at some point next season. Sign Ball to a 1 or 2 year deal for a low amount.

Bradie James - This one I struggle with, not because he is good, but because he could be good depth, I just don't think he would want to be here as a back up/special teams player. But Maybe we keep him anyway, one more season.

Connor Barwin - ONLY re-sign if it is cheap. He really took a step back and provided little as a pass rusher, but he really sealed the edge vs the run, very little runs came from the outside. Plus if he walks, we still need to fill the hole left at OLB, keeping him would be the cheapest (hopefully) and simplest. If he commands too much, prepare to draft a guy.

Glover Quin - He might actually be our first priority this off-season. He is a great run stuffing safety and very good in coverage vs TEs and Rbs, losing him only hurts us down the road against the Patriots. Don't over pay for a non play making safety, but know he is important to our defense. We just need to add a 3rd safety to prevent those deep passes against us.

Justin Forsett - Again, this depends on price, but I would try to retain him. Knowing I want to get rid of Tate, but knowing any rookie I bring in may take time to develop. Make him our number 2 for 1 or 2 seasons. He has the ability to step in as our starter if Foster misses some games.

Ryan Harris - I would offer pretty much the minimum to him. He knows our system, is younger, fresher and up to date on our playbook compared to Rashard Butler. The goal is to get a younger tackle to compete with Derek Newton. We will have 2 average back ups between Harris, Newton and a rookie.

Mister Alexander - He is an ERFA, offer him the minimum and he has to take it. Cheap for a guy who knows the system and is average hwen in the game.

Andrew Gardner - He is a RFA and I doubt he gets an offer, but again, I think its time to upgrade the depth and that means letting go of the useless guys. But I have a feeling he is brought back, so I am saying to re-sign him, even though I would not.

First two guys you name shouldnt be resigned IMO. Ball is a good special teams player, but he is still horrible in coverage. I think Harris will eventually be a good nickle cornerback and we could draft a CB later in the draft who could do what Ball does, and maybe even better, for cheap. I think we should let Harris go and just draft depth at RT.

Quote:
Let these guys walk

Rashard Butler - Isn't going to be a starter and we need to make plans to get a better RT while upgrading the depth all around.

Antione Caldwell - Same as Butler. The talent has surpassed him and the depth is already equally as good as he is.

James Casey - Its not that I do not want him back, but I think he may get a solid offer from another team (Patriots or someone trying to become them). I think a true FB with a better wr and a better blocking TE would suffice. We could try to be more creative by shifting OD or Graham to fb to cause mis matches.

Quintin Demps - Can we please move on from this disaster already. Im tired of watching him give up huge plays all the time because he is not disciplined enough to stay deep.

Tim Dobbins - Frankly Im ready to improve the depth at ILB, and it starts by getting rid of the bad players.

Shayne Graham - Im ready to see Bullock. This will greatly improve our average starting position allowed.

Donnie Jones - He was ok, but I feel younger guys with a more powerful leg would be better, plus cheaper and more long term.

Brice McCain - Its time to move on from this under sized over rated slot corner.

Jesse Nading - Can we please move on from him, he doesn't provide anything useful to this squad.

Stanford Routt - Did not show anything to deserve to come back, couldn't even beat out Harris.

Barrett Ruud - I would actually consider signing him to a cheap contract. He was ok in coverage, except for the Patriots, but that was Wades fault for assuming he could keep up with those guys. But ultimately I chose to let him walk.

After all these moves we have holes at WR, ILB, NT, S, RT and depth at corner, and along the oline, not to mention we need depth at DE and OLB plus another RB.

I agree with most of the guys you feel we should let walk. I would hate to lose Casey, but if he gets an offer that we cant afford then we have to let him go. I think we should resign Jones for 1 more year. He was actually pretty good for us this season. At least resign him to a 1 year deal and draft his replacement next season.

Quote:

Wes Welker - The more I think about it, the more I think he becomes a free agent. Im not sure what he would command on the market, but if we can afford him, we should make a move. He would be an excellent upgrade to the slot and would be a valuable asset to Matt and our young wide outs. His personality would fit with our team as well. Others: Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Louis Murphy, Steve Smith (Rams), Brandon Tate. (LOTS of potential slot guys for our team)

Victor Butler - With Kiffin coming in, there is a chance some guys are on their way out, he was a back up to Anthony Spencer and may not be re-signed if they shift to a 4-3. He could be a decent depth signing at OLB for us. Others: Quentin Groves, Aaron Maybin, Erik Walden, Chris Wilson.

I am almost certain Welker is going to made paid in free agency, and as much as I would like him to be a Texan, we can't afford him. Hartline is the best option you named. I personally dont see him as a number 2 WR, but he could be a very good number 3 IMO.

Butler would make sense if we dont decide to bring back Barwin. He could be the backup to Reed at WOLB, and if we bring back Barwin we would have a pretty good OLB rotation with Barwin, Reed, Mercilus and Butler.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:07 pm Post subject: My mock off-season
To begin, this took HOURS to complete, and I did not proof read Shocked I hope you enjoy. If there are mistakes sorry, let me know and I will fix it. I tried to be realistic and also provide my input. I think this would be a GREAT off-season, but who knows. Anyway, post comments and provide your off-season mock.

First to deal with our free agents.

Sign these guys

Let these guys walk

Trade

Ben Tate - Detroit Lions trade a 5th round pick for Tate, even if Lions don't, pick a team in need of a rb and trade him.

I would be mad if we trade Tate for a 5th round pick. I think Tate is worth AT least a 3rd.

That would be an excellent draft if we came out like that. We basically fill all our needs. We might have to trade up to get Patterson though. I can already tell Patterson is your favorite WR in the draft so far. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ I hear you and that's what the discussion board is all up. I hear your logic and Applause your effort (edit: intended for AA's reply post)
texandominance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dwayne Bowe much more than I like Welker. Both will probably sign for the same amount of money as well.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
I like Dwayne Bowe much more than I like Welker. Both will probably sign for the same amount of money as well.

I can understand not affording Welker, but I highly doubt Welker gets ANYWHERE close to Bowe. Welker is not and never will be number 1 like Bowe, he cannot go up and get a ball like Bowe, and really is slot guy only with good blocking skills. Bowe will command number 1 money while Welker won't, not to mention one is significantly younger (only 3 years, but one is in their prime one is exiting their pirime), yup Bowe.

Did you know Welker average 1.53 Million a season (plus some for his bonus) before he got tagged this year, do you really see a 32 year old wide out who is limited getting a big contract? I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
texandominance wrote:

I can understand not affording Welker, but I highly doubt Welker gets ANYWHERE close to Bowe. Welker is not and never will be number 1 like Bowe, he cannot go up and get a ball like Bowe, and really is slot guy only with good blocking skills. Bowe will command number 1 money while Welker won't, not to mention one is significantly younger (only 3 years, but one is in their prime one is exiting their pirime), yup Bowe.

Did you know Welker average 1.53 Million a season (plus some for his bonus) before he got tagged this year, do you really see a 32 year old wide out who is limited getting a big contract? I don't.

If you ever watch Bowe play, he is not a number one. He drops way too many balls, which lead to a lot of interceptions. Hell get more than Welker, but it shouldn't be much
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
texandominance wrote:

If you ever watch Bowe play, he is not a number one. He drops way too many balls, which lead to a lot of interceptions. Hell get more than Welker, but it shouldn't be much

He will get a lot more than Welker. Dre use to drop balls all the time, was he not a number 1?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha whats funny is we went on and on and no one caught I forgot to add Mercilus, haha oh well, I added him now.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a very deep dive into this tomorrow at work when I have some downtime (which, is like...ALL the time) but one thing I'll say is that I want Routt back on the roster for 2013. Don't overspend for the guy, give him a one year deal with a bunch of incentives tied in there.

While he didn't "beat out" Brandon Harris, how much of a chance was he to have? Guy was signed after the Lions game, right? So, that is a month to pick up our scheme and make an impression big enough to work into our lineup, which included a 2nd round guy from last season - a guy that we might be too proud to admit could be a bust. Proof is in the pudding now, we have a better idea on Harris (and I wouldn't be shocked to see Harris get "moved" to FS/SS in an attempt to justify keeping him).

At the least, I would like to see Routt in TC, see if a full offseason of work and film study can make him a decent player in our secondary, a "6th man" who can play nickel as well as spell Kareem Jackson at times. Even though he was cut in KC, it isn't as if he was a bad player - he just had issues with a very dysfunctional KC team, a team that completely gave up on their HC around halftime of their week 1 loss. At the LEAST, give Routt an offseason and TC, and if he can show the chutzpa that he had in 2011 for the Raiders, the Texans could have a very complete man-CB waiting in the wings.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My mock off-season Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Round 1 - Cordarelle Patterson WR, a big speedy wide out with great hands. Nice route running and can shield defenders with his body. This play maker is EXACTLY what this offense needs and it is another big guy for the red zone. He will learn A LOT from Andre and will immediately help this offense.

Ok, I lied. I'll take on the REST rest of it tomorrow, but will comment on this:

I like Cordarelle Patterson, but I don't even think he's the best WR coming out of TENNESSEE this season. Justin Hunter is my #1 guy from the state, and had Da'Rick Rogers not been such a dummy, he'd be the #2. Patterson is plenty good, but I think that Hunter represents a better option.

Hunter reminds me of AJ Green-lite; Not a speedy WR, but great short field explosiveness, will probably have a fantastic 10 yard split when he times. Tall guy, lanky - all arms and legs. Has a great set of hands, can get downfield and make the acrobatic jumping catch over defenders with relative ease. He had a great year, all of it on the heels of an ACL tear in 2011. He should be close to 100% in a few months, which is a scary thought if he's able to be so productive right now. You know me and the knee stuff - if they have an ACL injury, I usually steer away from them. I'm willing to forget that for Hunter, who just oozes playmaker skill.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My mock off-season Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Round 1 - Cordarelle Patterson WR, a big speedy wide out with great hands. Nice route running and can shield defenders with his body. This play maker is EXACTLY what this offense needs and it is another big guy for the red zone. He will learn A LOT from Andre and will immediately help this offense.

Ok, I lied. I'll take on the REST rest of it tomorrow, but will comment on this:

I like Cordarelle Patterson, but I don't even think he's the best WR coming out of TENNESSEE this season. Justin Hunter is my #1 guy from the state, and had Da'Rick Rogers not been such a dummy, he'd be the #2. Patterson is plenty good, but I think that Hunter represents a better option.

Hunter reminds me of AJ Green-lite; Not a speedy WR, but great short field explosiveness, will probably have a fantastic 10 yard split when he times. Tall guy, lanky - all arms and legs. Has a great set of hands, can get downfield and make the acrobatic jumping catch over defenders with relative ease. He had a great year, all of it on the heels of an ACL tear in 2011. He should be close to 100% in a few months, which is a scary thought if he's able to be so productive right now. You know me and the knee stuff - if they have an ACL injury, I usually steer away from them. I'm willing to forget that for Hunter, who just oozes playmaker skill.

I think Patterson is the better route runner and to me the more explosive guy. He screams Julio Jones to me. Good size, great speed, great hands, the guy is a play maker at all levels and can return kicks and punts for us. I like Hunter, but feel Patterson is much better, JMO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little on the salary.

If you allow the guys I propose to walk, you get 12.528 million back. If you cut Walter thats another 3.5 bringing it up to 16.028. Here is what is interesting though.

The genius of Rick Smith is actually in his cap ability. He is actually better than you think. Foster and Brown, Joseph, Myers, Smith and Manning increase about 3.5 million ALL TOGETHER next season. But Schaub actually goes down about 1 million. Meaning for all those guys, we only increase the salary roughly 2 M.

The problem is Andre, Antonio and Owen increase pay SUBSTANTIALLY. I would honestly expect them to re-do their deals or be cut/traded (except Andre, not sure he can do anything with his deal). If they re-do Smith and OD we will be in GREAT shape to add a piece or 2, nothing crazy, but something to help the team and still have money for draft picks. I would expect something big to happen this off-season as we prepare to sign Cushing, Watt and Kareem Jackson.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
A little on the salary.

If you allow the guys I propose to walk, you get 12.528 million back. If you cut Walter thats another 3.5 bringing it up to 16.028. Here is what is interesting though.

The genius of Rick Smith is actually in his cap ability. He is actually better than you think. Foster and Brown, Joseph, Myers, Smith and Manning increase about 3.5 million ALL TOGETHER next season. But Schaub actually goes down about 1 million. Meaning for all those guys, we only increase the salary roughly 2 M.

The problem is Andre, Antonio and Owen increase pay SUBSTANTIALLY. I would honestly expect them to re-do their deals or be cut/traded (except Andre, not sure he can do anything with his deal). If they re-do Smith and OD we will be in GREAT shape to add a piece or 2, nothing crazy, but something to help the team and still have money for draft picks. I would expect something big to happen this off-season as we prepare to sign Cushing, Watt and Kareem Jackson.

Actually I made a mistake, Smith and Daniels salary only goes up about 500k EACH, so a million total.

So if you take all the "big" increases you have 5.4 (Aj) and 4.5 (for everyone except Schaub) and -1 (schaub)

So you have ROUGHLY 9 million of the 16 (assuming you cut Walter) leaving you with 7 million left. I would still like to see something done with Dre, but I doubt we can do anything since he re-did his contract numerous times.

If it is similar to last season we would have about 1.5 cap hit in the first round and a drop from there. Lets just round it, because I don't have time to go through all 10 other picks. 500k for each pick meaning 2.5 million plus the 1.5 for the first rounder.

We would have 3 million left over. The guys we would "plan" on re-signing come out to be 5.3 M (not including Alexander and Gardner, because they don't actually come off being ERFA and RFA). That is 8.3 million plus tates 760k brings it up to about 9 million.

Now we need to sign Ball, Barwin, Quin, James, Forsett and Harris still. Can we sign all of them and have room to sign someone else, IDK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: