Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre Combine Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Pre Combine Mock Reply with quote

Resign…

RB…Armando Allen (ERFA)
OG…Lance Louis
OT…Jonathan Scott
UT…Henry Melton
UT…Nate Collins (RFA)
UT…Amobi Okoye
DE…Israel Idonije
LB…Nick Roach
LB…Geno Hayes
CB…D.J Moore
CB…Kelvin Hayden
CB…Zach Bowman

Let Walk…

Jason Campbell
Josh McCown
Khalil Bell
Harvey Unga
Kellen Davis – Saving $2.4m
Matt Spaeth – Saving $1.05m
Johnny Knox
Cory Brandon
James Brown
Nick Pieschel
Chilo Rachal
Chris Spencer
Edwin Williams
Cheta Ozougwu
Dom DeCicco
Jerry Franklin
Patrick Trahan
Brian Urlacher
Anthony Walters
Troy Nolan
Olindo Mare

Free Agents…

QB…Matt Moore…6-3” 203lbs…

Jason Campbell isn’t the answer as a backup QB…he holds the ball far too long in the pocket and even when he does get rid of it he is hesitant to throw it down the field…Moore is a QB who has won games on his own and as much as his fumble troubles are a concern he is probably the best backup option out there right now considering Chad Henne might be starting in Jacksonville next year.

OT…Jermon Bushrod…6-5” 315lbs…

With a new offensive minded HC comes a reemphasis on protection…J’Marcus Webb had some good games last year but he also had some horrible moments that will continue to be in the back of Jay’s mind everytime he drops back to pass…we have to sort out that LT position to get the rest of this Oline right…signing Bushrod makes a ton of sense as he has experience of working with OC Aaron Kromer and will understand the type of protection schemes Kromer is going to install…he could almost be a 2nd teacher for our current Olinemen…he won’t have the type of market that is going to cost us a ton of cap space and the Saints are in cap trouble so they shouldn’t put up too much of a fight…and he opens up options in this draft and the next few when it comes to taking a franchise LT…he might not have the highest ceiling but he is a consistent professional who won’t have nightmare games.

CB…Keenan Lewis…6-0” 208lbs…

Jennings and Peanut were outstanding all year last season but we have many FAs when it comes to the CB position and even TJ & Peanut are FAs next year so taking advantage of the Steelers cap situation makes a lot of sense…I have liked Lewis since he came out of Oregon State…he brings good size to the position and is very physical when coming up to play the run…not only that but he has shown the coverage skills to play in a scheme like ours…having started this year under LeBeau you know he is a smart well coached player who understands zone concepts…Lewis also opens up the option to move Tim Jennings into the slot against certain teams to cover quicker slot receivers in nickel…which I expect with Urlacher gone we would be in a lot…Pitt will most likely like to keep him after a breakout season where he had 71 tackles and 23 PBUs but again that Cap is killing them and they have invested more picks over the last few years in CBs than they have at WR so Mike Wallace could still be the priority.

Draft…

*Trade* Bears trade Pick #20 (850 points) to Houston for pick #27 + #91 (combined 816 points)…Houston are desperate to land a complementary WR and eventual successor to Andre Johnson…if a guy like Justin Hunter is still on the board I think they would make the jump up…

Round 1 (Via HOU)…

LB…Kevin Minter…6-2” 245lbs…LSU…

The day Brian Urlacher was let go/retired from the Bears was always going to be a sad one…he will go down as one of the all-time greats…but I truly feel that the day has come…Urlacher was a Lovie guy through and through…he was a massive fan of Marinelli & Babich as well…all three are gone…with a new coaching staff here from top to bottom for the LB position it’s time for them to put their own stamp on one of the most storied positions in NFL history…Kevin Minter might not be the next Urlacher, Singletary, Butkus or George but he is an extremely good player and with LB being an instant impact position Minter would make a terrific addition to this D with his combination of instincts, speed & physicality…he reminds me of Lance Briggs with his ability to take on & shed blocks before chasing down ball carriers…he isn’t the best in zone coverage right now because he isn’t asked to do it much but he has the athleticism to excel in that area…he called the plays for the LSU D that ranked 8th in the country this year and was a true leader in every sense of the word for that D…like Urlacher himself Minter isn’t an overly vocal leader but with his motor and intensity players gravitate to him.

Round 2…

OT/OG…Chris Faulk…6-5” 323lbs…LSU…

Marc Trestman has made it blatantly obvious that the key to his offence is the QB…he has also stressed the importance of keeping that QB upright not only during his press conference but also with the hiring of former Saints Oline coach Aaron Kromer as his OC…Kromer has a history of producing excellent offensive lines and developing college LTs into elite OGs with Jhair Evans and Carl Nicks both excelling under his tutelage…I think Faulk could become the same type of guard…he has the athleticism, base & pass pro technique to protect Jay in the pocket from the LG spot but also the size, power & leverage to be a big factor in the run game…he also brings versatility to the team…signing Bushrod takes away the immediate need for a LT but with Faulk he can begin his career at LG while allowing us to assess the possibly of him moving to LT in the future…much easier to evaluate a player in your own camp than it is on film…he could also possibly play the RT spot because of his athleticism and size…this pick is obviously reliant on Faulk being healthy but if he is he has a ton of potential.

Round 3 (Via HOU)…

TE…Gavin Escobar…6-5” 255lbs…San Diego State…

Here is what we know about Marc Trestman’s scheme…he finds ways to get players open in the middle of the field…we also know we had a TE in Kellen Davis who has all the physical tools in the world but couldn’t put it together…for this offence to be at its best we have to add a threat at the TE position that will force teams to account for him on every play…it’s time to sacrifice a little size and pure speed for hands and production…Escobar has had plenty of production over his career…in just the last two years he has 93 receptions, 1323 yards, 14.2 YPC & 13 TDs…he understands route running and the small intricacies that always eluded Davis when it comes to getting open…he will be a consistent target over the middle and reminds me a lot of Ravens TE Dennis Pitta who is one of the more underrated TEs in the NFL…as a 2nd or 3rd option he will cause a lot of damage with the attention being paid to the likes of Marshall.

Round 4…

C…J.C Tretter…6-4” 300lbs…Cornell…

For years we have been drafting Olinemen out of necessity which has forced us into reaches…Aaron Kromer has a reputation of developing mid-late round Olinemen into starters so here we give him some talent to mold…Tretter is a converted TE he started his last 20 games at LT who didn’t allow a sack on 478 passing attempts this season which allow Cornell to pass for the 3rd highest total in yards in the FCS…he doesn’t have the size or length to stick at OT at 6-4” 300lbs but I think he could be a great development centre…clearly athletic and has enough size to play centre his intelligence is without question coming from an Ivy League school…if Trestman’s offence is as complicated as has been reported and the Oline need to understand the protection schemes to the letter he would be able to pick it up…sit him for a year and get him into the gym to add strength and he could be our 2014 starter once we let go of Garza who is showing signs that the end might be near.

Round 5…

WR…Aaron Mellette…6-3” 218lbs…Elon…

The feeling is that we are pretty set when it comes to starting outside WRs with Marshall & Jeffery…but injuries happen and looking at our depth we have Bennett who will start in the slot and then special teamers like Hester, Weems & Anderson so adding another true WR would be a good idea…Mellette brings the size at 6-3” 218lbs to play on the outside in a WCO…he has been ridiculously productive in college going for 304 receptions…4264 yards…14 YPC…44 TDs in 44 career games…he isn’t going to blow the top of off coverage or be the flashiest of WRs but he is a big target with very strong hands who will be a consistent backup who can step in and be a reliable target for Jay and possibly develop into more such as a redzone weapon or full time starter.

Round 6…

TE…Michael Williams…6-5” 270lbs…Alabama…

The Bears are scheduled to play Matt Spaeth over $1 million in 2013 to be a blocking TE…he has done a decent job but he can be upgraded for a lot less money…we double dip here for a different type of TE…Williams isn’t a great receiving option like Escobar but he is a very strong physical blocker for both the run game and in pass protection…he will give us more options in two TE sets which are usually a staple in the WCO offence.

Depth Chart…

QB…Jay Cutler… Matt Moore
RB…Matt Forte…Michael Bush…Armando Allen
FB…Evan Rodriguez
WR…Brandon Marshall…Aaron Mellette
WR…Alshon Jeffery…Devin Hester…Joe Anderson
Slot…Earl Bennett…Eric Weems
TE…Gavin Escobar…Michael Williams…Kyle Adams
LT…Jermon Bushrod
LG…Chris Faulk
C…Roberto Garza…JC Tretter
RG…Lance Louis…Gabe Carimi
RT…J'Marcus Webb…Jonathan Scott

LE…Israel Idonije…Shea McClellin
UT…Henry Melton…Nate Collins…Amobi Okoye
NT…Stephen Paea…Matt Toeaina
RE…Julius Peppers…Corey Wootton
SLB…Nick Roach…Geno Hayes
MLB…Kevin Minter…Blake Costanzo
WLB…Lance Briggs…JT Thomas
NB...Tim Jennings…D.J Moore
CB…Charles Tillman…Kelvin Hayden…Sherrick McManis
CB…Keenan Lewis…Zack Bowman
SS…Major Wright…Brandon Hardin
FS…Chris Conte…Craig Steltz

P…Adam Podlesh
K…Robbie Gould
LS…Patrick Mannelly
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

I don't think we are going to invest that highly in the MLB position but that is just me. I could see us targeting a TE.

Faulk is interesting. He is more athletic than Fluker but not nearly as powerful.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Williams, Roll Tide!
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I like it.

I don't think we are going to invest that highly in the MLB position but that is just me. I could see us targeting a TE.

Faulk is interesting. He is more athletic than Fluker but not nearly as powerful.

I feel we have too...with the way the NFL is going speed at the 2nd level of the D is going to be essential to match up with running QBs and more and more athletic TEs...we lacked speed at the 2nd level this season with Urlacher slowed up…we also need a new leader at that MLB spot.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Melette, I like it, would rather take a DB there.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
BEARS24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on top talent...

I like Minter and Escobar...
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if it is a better investment to sign Levitre, who is better at LG than Bushrod is at LT?

Levitre will out play his 6 million a season.

Will Bushrod out play his 8 million.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Other than Melette, I like it, would rather take a DB there.

I think if we go out and sign Keenan Lewis then resign Hayden & Bowman who did well last year plus Moore who I’m not ready to give up on just yet we don’t have a need for another CB…and with Hardin coming back at safety that is like another draft pick…I think we need to add some size and true WR depth behind our starters there.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I am wondering if it is a better investment to sign Levitre, who is better at LG than Bushrod is at LT?

I don't think Bushrod get's that type of money...I also think Levitre gets more than $6 million a year.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I don't think Bushrod get's that type of money...I also think Levitre gets more than $6 million a year.

Hypothetical Questions

I wonder who is a better investment?

Does Webb get better when he has a stud OG in Levitre beside him?

Is Bushrod 6 million dollars better than Webb?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Hypothetical Questions

Money no object I would say Levitre…but he is 26 years old…this contract is going to be in the 6 year range with a lot of money built into it…Bushrod is 2 years older so he could be looking more at a 4 year deal with far less overall money…

I think everyone would get better with Levitre on the Oline…but I don’t think that is enough to make Webb the type of LT we need…

I think Bushrod giving Jay confidence that snap after snap he is going to keep him safe is worth $6 million more than Webb.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Hypothetical Questions

Money no object I would say Levitre…but he is 26 years old…this contract is going to be in the 6 year range with a lot of money built into it…Bushrod is 2 years older so he could be looking more at a 4 year deal with far less overall money…

I think everyone would get better with Levitre on the Oline…but I don’t think that is enough to make Webb the type of LT we need…

I think Bushrod giving Jay confidence that snap after snap he is going to keep him safe is worth $6 million more than Webb.

Levitres ability to play C and OG makes him look like a cornerstone player.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Hypothetical Questions

Yeah but then you have to take into consideration do you want to pay cornerstone money to an interior linemen?...that is something for Emery to decide…I reckon he would rather pay a vet like Bushrod less to come into a system he already knows for a couple of years while he builds through the draft…which I think Emery would much rather do as often as possible.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Hypothetical Questions

Yeah but then you have to take into consideration do you want to pay cornerstone money to an interior linemen?...that is something for Emery to decide…I reckon he would rather pay a vet like Bushrod less to come into a system he already knows for a couple of years while he builds through the draft…which I think Emery would much rather do as often as possible.

I could easily see this group focus on the interior being a corner stone player. Levitre might be what Emery/Trestman look at.

1. He is a safer/wiser choice than Bushrod for the money.

2. He secures the interior of the pocket which Trestman and Kromer promote.

It is another idea.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost will determine which route is better. I wouldn't be mad if we got both guys though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: