Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to Expect from Ray Horton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: What to Expect from Ray Horton Reply with quote

Pretty much every Browns fan is stoked that they hired Ray Horton and from what we cant tell, most Arizona fans are very upset that he's gone. I know the Cardinals had a very good defense under Horton and that he came from Pittsburgh, but could you guys give me more details on what to expect out of Horton? Any other information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what defensive players are set to become free agents for you guys? I ask this because it would make sense that Horton would want some guys he knows from Arizona and bring them over to Cleveland.

Adopt-a-Brown: Alex Mack

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Aggressive, attack the ball defense.
2 - A lot of nickel sets that use one safety consistently in and around the box.
3 - A lot of press coverage
4 - A lot of A-Gap blitzing
5 - 2 gapping on the DL. One ILB playing a read and react 2 gap role in 2-4-5/4-2-5 sets.
6 - A lot of Man Coverage on the outside and with LB's on backs and TE's. Safeties on TE's.

Back end, you will see a lot of Cover 3 (Zone) and Cover 1 (Man) shells with the odd 2 Man show. A lot of Cover 0 blitzing inside your own 10 yard line.

Front end, confusions. LB's and DL'men dropping into coverage with DB's blitzing off the same edge. Horton likes to blitz his DB's. As I mentioned A Gap "sugar" blitzing. Overloading the guards and Center with 4 rushers through their gaps. I could see Horton being a huge fan of Sheldon Brown (Good in Man Coverage, Physical at the LOS and in the running game). Don't expect too many rookies to play early on defense unless they are truly exceptionally talented. Horton will slow play rookies.

That is essentially a "cliff-notes" version.

We have a few guys set to be free agents. Would not be surprised if some of our DB's (Toler/Johnson) might end up in Cleveland with the lack of depth there. Toler is a guy who did pretty well for us along the back end of the season and could very well be a starter opposite Haden in Cleveland.

Last edited by khodder on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
iRobot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What to Expect from Ray Horton Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Pretty much every Browns fan is stoked that they hired Ray Horton and from what we cant tell, most Arizona fans are very upset that he's gone. I know the Cardinals had a very good defense under Horton and that he came from Pittsburgh, but could you guys give me more details on what to expect out of Horton? Any other information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what defensive players are set to become free agents for you guys? I ask this because it would make sense that Horton would want some guys he knows from Arizona and bring them over to Cleveland.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/arizona-cardinals/

That's our list of pending FA's.. only noteworthy ones on there would be Paris Lenon (older), Greg Toler (came back from injury this last season), and Michael Adams (mostly a special teamer).

Horton is a blitz happy kinda guy. Utilizes a lot of fire zone blitzes..

I think you'll see an improvement immediately, depending how quickly the guys pick up his scheme. Arizona struggled at first until they finally understood the scheme.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What to Expect from Ray Horton Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:

From a technical stand point Horton used very, very few Fire Zone Blitzes. He used a lot of DL dropping into coverage and rushing DB's and LB's in their place, but most of the was acomplanied with man coverage on the back end.

But again that is a technicality.
iRobot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What to Expect from Ray Horton Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
iRobot wrote:

From a technical stand point Horton used very, very few Fire Zone Blitzes. He used a lot of DL dropping into coverage and rushing DB's and LB's in their place, but most of the was acomplanied with man coverage on the back end.

But again that is a technicality.

I think he said in a press interview that he doesn't coach a scheme he coaches men.. he very much does so. He tries to utilize his personnel the best he can.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect a top 10 defense in two years. I'm not sure how much talent Cleveland has on defense but Ray will get the most our of them.

The Rebuild Has Begun...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Expect a top 10 defense in two years. I'm not sure how much talent Cleveland has on defense but Ray will get the most our of them.

This^^^. Not only getting the most out of each player, but his situational play calling was very good as well. Ray was excellent at employing the @khodder 'Cliff Notes'. The only other item that I think Ray excelled at in AZ was game planning. With the exception of a few bumps in the road, his defenses were well prepared for the next opponent.

Congratulations on getting what most AZ fans wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horton likes, "small men who can hit and big men who can run". Look for good tackling DBs and fast, athletic D-line men and LBs to do well in his schemes. Rashad Johnson is a free agent who might be of interest.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

92 Rucker, Frostee DE 6-3 280 29 7 USC
67 Kitchen, Ishmaa'ily DL 6-1 330 24 R Kent State
71 Rubin, Ahtyba DL 6-2 330 26 5 Iowa State
98 Taylor, Phillip DL 6-3 335 24 2 Baylor
90 Winn, Billy DL 6-4 295 23 R Boise State
93 Hughes, John DT 6-2 320 24 R Cincinnati

all these guys are under contract and expected to be back.

IMO projected depth chart be:

34DE Taylor, Winn, Rucker & Hughes
NT Rubin & Kitchen

How do you think this would jive with what Horton likes to do with his 3 man front?

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: