Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why not another potential off-season....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Why not another potential off-season.... Reply with quote

...it's not like the Dolphins have anything else going on...

First, this is a hell of a lot more difficult then I thought it would be, but it was fun putting together. This is the first time I have tried to pit one of these things together...I will take comments into consideration and revise it in a few days.

Free Agency

Resign

Reggie Bush (RB) – He wants to be in Miami, should be a decent value and is finally becoming the player many thought he would be coming out of USC. He could have Marshall Faulk type impact with improved line play and increased involvement in the passing game.

Brian Hartline (WR) – He’s not a number one, but he is very good, runs great routes, and catches anything thrown in his direction. Over the last season he became Tannehill’s go to guy and keeping players the young QB is comfortable with will continue to help his development.

Jake Long (T)– I know he’s going to possibly get big money from another team, but I hope that it isn’t significant enough to have him move from Miami. He may not be the Tackle he was two years ago he is still better than what can be found in the draft (at 12) or in free agency without breaking the bank (Clady). His wife’s friendship with Mrs. Tannehill could (finger crossed) play a factor in him staying.

Sean Smith (CB)– He’s good in one on one coverage with larger receivers, but seemed struggle against some of the smaller shiftier guys. Replacing one CB is difficult; replacing 2 may be too much.

Anthony Fasano (TE)- Again this goes into keeping some players Tannehill is comfortable with and Fasano is one of those guys. Shouldn’t be too expensive, blocks well, workd hard and knows the offense.

Matt Moore (QB) – Vets that knows the offense…I think most teams see him as a vet back-up and will realize that he’s still not going to get his shot to start elsewhere.

Sign
Greg Jennings (WR) – He’s a vet with very good hands, nice speed and knows the offense. As with finding Tannehill guys he is comfortable with it is also imperative they bring in a vet that can adjust to what Tannehill is doing. Jennings appears to want to become a Dolphin and should. Wallace and Bowe may have more on paper, but Jennings has a certain “je ne sais quoi” that will make him a better fit.

Louis Vasquez (G) – The line needs to be updated….there were holes and weaknesses especially at right guard. Vasquez should be a significant upgrade as his a very good pass protector and extremely strong. Andy Levitre could be a possibility, but will be very expensive and most likely will get resigned by the Bills.

Ryan Harris (T) - Has bounced around the NFL, but should provide some depth and may be looking for a chance to prove himself. Fit the ZBS and has experience with it in Denver.

Mike Jenkins (CB) – Compete for a CB position and provide solid depth

Draft

Round 1
(12) – Cordarelle Patterson (WR) – Hartline and Jennings will provide stability for Tannehill and Patterson provides that big play ability. He’s the type of player that can take an end around, bubble, quick slant 70 yards for 6. He also has enough size to match up downfield. He won’t necessarily need to be the man right away and can learn the position from Jennings and Hartline.

Round 2
(42) – Matt Elam (S) – Might go in the first, but I’m crossing my fingers he drops to the Dolphins in the second. He is a force in the defensive backfield providing great ball skills and tackling. Another big play guy who can not only pick off passes, but is a ferocious hitter that can force fumbles.

(54) - Logan Ryan (CB) – Good size and speed and another that can not only help in the passing game, but also provide a big boost to run support. He’s a very hard worker and disciplined. He has been compared to former Rutger’s CM Devin McCourty .

Round 3
(77) – Alvin Bailey (G) – I’m not sure he makes it out of the 2nd Round, but I’m banking on a little fall. SEC linemen tend to do very well in the NFL and Baily has spent most of his career going against SEC D-lineman. Could be ready to start Day one and will battle with our Pro-Bowl G Incognito.

(82) – Tank Carradine (DE) - If not for the injury this guy would be a 1st round pick...possibly top 20. Would be great as part of a DE rotation that included Vernon and Wake. Will be a steal if he fully recovers.

Round 4
(TBD) – Travis Kelce (TE) – Should be the player that Egnew was supposed to be. Can play down on the line and standing up in the slot, has good speed and very solid hands. Brother plays for Eagles (pedigree)

Round 5
(TBD) – Tyrann Mathieu (CB/Return) – The guy is very talented and if he has his act cleaned up could be a steal at this point. Pure playmaker who can return kicks, pick off QBs and even line up on the Offensive side of the ball.

Round 6 and 7 – Depth and sleepers

Line-Up (I’m only listing reserve players how should contribute on a regular basis)

Offense
QB Tannehill
RB Bush/Miller
WR Patterson
WR Jennings
WR Hartline/Bailey/Bess
TE Kelce/Fasano/Clay
T Long
T Martin
G Bailey
G Vasquez
C Pouncey

Defense
DE Wake/Vernon
DE Carradine/Vernon
DT Soliei
DT Odrick
LB Misi
LB Burnett
LB Dansby
CB Smith
CB Ryan/Jenkins
S Jones
S Elam

Notes:

-Not sure if I overdid it on the Free Agency….may be too expensive
-I understand there are areas that still need to be addressed (OL and DL depth), but one can only do so much in one off-season... [/u]

Last edited by ViolentMonk71 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Long's wife was friends with his QBs wife.

Kind of reminds me of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we really afford all that? Can you post what you would all those FA? Long+Smith+Johnson+Jennings would be all of our cap I would think. Long and Jennings are about 16-18 combined. Johnson and Smith are another 12. Hartline and Moore is 6.5-8. Let alone everyone else haha. I like the thought but we would need like 65 million to do that.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Can we really afford all that? Can you post what you would all those FA? Long+Smith+Johnson+Jennings would be all of our cap I would think. Long and Jennings are about 16-18 combined. Johnson and Smith are another 12. Hartline and Moore is 6.5-8. Let alone everyone else haha. I like the thought but we would need like 65 million to do that.

That's why I said I think I may over did it....I don't think Smith will get the money he thinks he will....nor will Long...

I would also consider moving Incognito, Carpenter, and Marshall as both are far too expensive for what they actually produce on the field. that could net close to another 10 million...

Fasano 750,000
Vasquez 5 million
Johnson 11 million
Long 9 Million
Harline 2 Million
Smith 5 Million
Bush 4 Million
Jennings 7 Million

About 43 million.....

Last edited by ViolentMonk71 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
I didn't know Long's wife was friends with his QBs wife.

Kind of reminds me of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor.

They seemed pretty tight during Hard Knocks.

FF Member #67
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for this offseason to happen but from a money standpoint its not possible. Also I think the with Hartline, Bess, Jennings being signed then it doesnt make sense to draft Patterson in the 1st and Bailey in the 3rd. I like where your head is at though. This way gives us weapons all over the field.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
I would love for this offseason to happen but from a money standpoint its not possible. Also I think the with Hartline, Bess, Jennings being signed then it doesnt make sense to draft Patterson in the 1st and Bailey in the 3rd. I like where your head is at though. This way gives us weapons all over the field.

You're probably right.....I think I have a solution to solve both the amount I spent in free agency and the abundance of WR I have this team bringing in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That offseason would be pretty ridiculous. I would like for Miami to take a DE a little earlier in the draft but I do like the Carradine pick for depth.

This is one of the many mock drafts on this forum i have read were Tyrann Mathieu was taken in the 4th or 5th round. I get the feeling that if Miami wants him they may have to reach for him in the 3rd. If not i think somebody else will roll the dice and take him earlier than projected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

That's why I said I think I may over did it....I don't think Smith will get the money he thinks he will....nor will Long...

I would also consider moving Incognito, Carpenter, and Marshall as both are far too expensive for what they actually produce on the field. that could net close to another 10 million...

Fasano 1.5
Vasquez 3.5
Johnson 7
Long 9 Million
Harline 4
Smith 6.5 Million
Bush 3 Million
Jennings 9 Million

About 43 million.....

Draft picks are about 6.8. Not sure how cuttable those guys are due to cap penalties.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

Fasano 1.5
Vasquez 3.5
Johnson 7
Long 9 Million
Harline 4
Smith 6.5 Million
Bush 3 Million
Jennings 9 Million

About 43 million.....

Draft picks are about 6.8. Not sure how cuttable those guys are due to cap penalties.

Not much and I adjusted my off-season.....passed on Johnson and drafted Carradine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at the list and had seen that ViolentMonk71 had done a mock, this is the last type of mock I expected. It almost contradicts previous comments I've read from you. Especially regarding Sean Smith and Jake Long.

In my opinion putting Long back at LT and Martin back at RT is sabotage. I'd rather cut them both before I do that. You watched that be a disaster all year. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the sense in going that route next year. It will make the whole line look bad.

No one has given sound logic that explains how Jake Long is going to be a success in this system. He needs to identify his assignment presnap, lock on the guy and dominate him. That's not going to happen in ZBS. This is where the ability to shoot left or right in a split second is key. This is where 2 seconds of the play could go by before a defender darts at into the backfield and he has to dart left or right to pick him up. And then you add the health questions.
And if all that isn't bad enough you put a strength challenged Jonathan MArtin at RT again when he was obviously better at LT.
I haven't even began to mention the financial headache in signing long.

Oh and Sean Smith sucks

Carradine is no lock to beat out vernon, thus putting us in the familliar position of needing pass rush, but having all the bodies on the roster.

I still can't believe this is you

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
When I looked at the list and had seen that ViolentMonk71 had done a mock, this is the last type of mock I expected. It almost contradicts previous comments I've read from you. Especially regarding Sean Smith and Jake Long.

In my opinion putting Long back at LT and Martin back at RT is sabotage. I'd rather cut them both before I do that. You watched that be a disaster all year. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the sense in going that route next year. It will make the whole line look bad.

No one has given sound logic that explains how Jake Long is going to be a success in this system. He needs to identify his assignment presnap, lock on the guy and dominate him. That's not going to happen in ZBS. This is where the ability to shoot left or right in a split second is key. This is where 2 seconds of the play could go by before a defender darts at into the backfield and he has to dart left or right to pick him up. And then you add the health questions.
And if all that isn't bad enough you put a strength challenged Jonathan MArtin at RT again when he was obviously better at LT.
I haven't even began to mention the financial headache in signing long.

Oh and Sean Smith sucks

Carradine is no lock to beat out vernon, thus putting us in the familliar position of needing pass rush, but having all the bodies on the roster.

I still can't believe this is you

I know Carridine may not beat out Vernon....I was think of him as being part of that rotation helping keep the pass rushers as fresh as possible.

The Long decision was a difficult one...I originally let him walk and signed Gosder Cherilus....I just hate seeing Long walk. He suffered when this team had 0 hope and thought I would reward him for his effort. He is still an elite Tackle in this league....I understand he doesn't work well in this system, but he also a pro that I feel can learn how to perform in this system. I'm most likely wrong and looking at it purely from a fan perspective and my respect for Long in this organization.

I know Sean Smith isn't great that's why I drafted two CBs and signed Mike Jenkins....I do not believe anyone in the NFL is going to give him a big payday and he will come back and meet what the Phins think he is worth (which should be south of 5 million a year).

I'm also ready to let ol Richie walk....he's the 5th highest paid guard in the NFL and I think the 4th highest paid Dolphins....is he worth that at all?

I mentioned that Off-season prediction are not my thing....This is one possibility and I have another one made up that I will post next week that may seem more me I guess. I tried to take out my own personality out of this off-season (drafting a WR at 12 is not something I really agree with) and see what I could "create"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: