Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns hire former Cardinals DC Ray Horton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

I just think the OC who failed to utilize his Halfbacks until they were out of the post-season hunt and kept running his QB isn't going to be a good head coach. Norv Turner runs a lot of vertical routes which suits your young talent such as Gordon but these two combined scream doom for Richardson(who I was never high on to begin with). Finally, Horton is more of a hunch. You guys certainly have lots of talent in Taylor, Sheard, Haden and Ward. But I just have a hunch. Call it crazy.

ok your comments about Norv...you said his vertical offense are good but it screams doom for Richardson? I remember seeing Norv turner using LT pretty damn well. He used Frank Gore pretty damn good his lone year in Sanfran. With the Raiders he had pathetic talent at the RB position. Ricky Williams had a great two year run with Norv. Norv turner has a track record of using RBs just fine.

I think your hunch just my be constipation...

I agree some great RB's had outstanding years under Turner and let's not forget he did get that team to an AFC championship. He got progressively worse as a coach which leads me to think that they had struggles in developing young players.

I'm also not 1000% sold on Horton like everyone else. The Cardinals invested a lot of picks and money in their defense (Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Washington, Peterson, Wilson) and they seemed good but nothing dominant. A good chunk of that could be due to their abysmal offense I guess.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hire

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good hire. With the coordinators in place, Chud should be able to focus on being a head coach and not what his coordinators are doing or not doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coaching set-up is stacked.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
The Browns are now the Super Bowl favorites IMO.

You're probably joking, since the Browns are still in need of a lot of talent to really make a run. But this is a good coach for their development. Really like the coaching staff they put into place here (except Lombardi as VP of Personnel was a poor move) - should be fun to watch how this develops.

Nacho Simulation Football League
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Rubin play DE and Taylor NT along the 3-4 line? I like the versatility both could provide as I see both being able to be used at both positions.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Will Rubin play DE and Taylor NT along the 3-4 line? I like the versatility both could provide as I see both being able to be used at both positions.

Why do people keep saying Phil Taylor is a NT?

Ahtyba Rubin has been our starting NT ever since we drafted him. Phil Taylor played next to him.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

Why do people keep saying Phil Taylor is a NT?

Ahtyba Rubin has been our starting NT ever since we drafted him. Phil Taylor played next to him.

It was more of a question. Just wondering, that's why I asked. The positional versatility of both seems interesting to me.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
DawgX wrote:
DE: Taylor, Winn, Hughes
NT: Rubin, Hughes
DE: Rucker, Winn, Hughes

OLB: Sheard
ILB: Gocong/Johnson
ILB: Jackson
OLB: ???

I think Billy Winn will be starting at DE. He'll be a great fit there I think. Cleveland just needs another ILB and another OLB and that could be one heck of a defensive front.

Except Phil Taylor is a NT.

Interesting since Ahtyba Rubin was and has been our NT even after we drafted Taylor.
What he's saying is Taylor is more of a NT in the 3-4, which I kinda agree with. I'm sure Taylor will do fine at DE, but I think he'd be a lot better player at the nose.
Why? Because of his size? Because he certainly doesn't play anything like a NT, he's a gap shooter. He tries to play in the backfield, he's not the type of guy to just eat up blocks. He's also a lot more agile than most guys his size. He'll certainly need some strong coaching, but I think he'll fit fine as a 3-4 DE.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
TBH, after watching Taylor for 2 years, i honeslty think he is able to play 3-4 DE.

I think he would be fine there.

Major holes at ILB and OLB exist and the thought of Sheard dropping into coverage scares the [inappropriate/removed] out of me.

I do expect us to use a good portion of our 3rd most cap room to sign some guys on defense.

I'm hoping we can get at least Kruger or Spencer for one spot.

I thought we had the second most cap room. Plus D Jackson is useless in the 3-4 so we might trade or cut him freeing up more room.
stop perpetuating this myth. I seen that DJax comment about a dozen times, yet not a single person who has said has backed it up. It's wrong.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
TBH, after watching Taylor for 2 years, i honeslty think he is able to play 3-4 DE.

Major holes at ILB and OLB exist and the thought of Sheard dropping into coverage scares the [inappropriate/removed] out of me.

I do expect us to use a good portion of our 3rd most cap room to sign some guys on defense.

I thought we had the second most cap room. Plus D Jackson is useless in the 3-4 so we might trade or cut him freeing up more room.
stop perpetuating this myth. I seen that DJax comment about a dozen times, yet not a single person who has said has backed it up. It's wrong.

No. No it isn't...

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

No. No it isn't...

Um, yes it is.

2008 season in the 3-4: 154 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 Passes Defensed, 3 INTs.

Please explain how that is useless.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

No. No it isn't...

Um, yes it is.

I saw DQ play in 2008... He was nowhere near as good as his statistics showed... Now look at 2011 or even 2012... Seasons were MUCH better despite inferior stats.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
buno67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:

I just think the OC who failed to utilize his Halfbacks until they were out of the post-season hunt and kept running his QB isn't going to be a good head coach. Norv Turner runs a lot of vertical routes which suits your young talent such as Gordon but these two combined scream doom for Richardson(who I was never high on to begin with). Finally, Horton is more of a hunch. You guys certainly have lots of talent in Taylor, Sheard, Haden and Ward. But I just have a hunch. Call it crazy.

ok your comments about Norv...you said his vertical offense are good but it screams doom for Richardson? I remember seeing Norv turner using LT pretty damn well. He used Frank Gore pretty damn good his lone year in Sanfran. With the Raiders he had pathetic talent at the RB position. Ricky Williams had a great two year run with Norv. Norv turner has a track record of using RBs just fine.

I think your hunch just my be constipation...

I agree some great RB's had outstanding years under Turner and let's not forget he did get that team to an AFC championship. He got progressively worse as a coach which leads me to think that they had struggles in developing young players.

I'm also not 1000% sold on Horton like everyone else. The Cardinals invested a lot of picks and money in their defense (Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Washington, Peterson, Wilson) and they seemed good but nothing dominant. A good chunk of that could be due to their abysmal offense I guess.

I think Horton was good in Arizona and had good talent but I think having a pathetic offense didnt help him at all. I think he serves better as an attacking/aggressive defense but he wasnt able to be like that because of his weak offensive support. I think him coming to Cleveland who has the potential to be a dangerous offense with Chud and Norv will allow him to attack more

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

No. No it isn't...

Um, yes it is.

I saw DQ play in 2008... He was nowhere near as good as his statistics showed... Now look at 2011 or even 2012... Seasons were MUCH better despite inferior stats.

I kind of agree, especially with 2011 where got F'in robbed of a pro bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: