Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What should be done with Big Red and this Dline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose one
Cut Bryant
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cut Big Red's pay
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
He's fine, just needs more pass rush help.
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21571
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Red was given excessive praise last year and it showed how much of an impact he truly had this year. You can find guys who are close to as good at stopping the run and 10 times the pass rushers.



Who?, Name one guy in the league that the Hawks can get that would be as good, or better than Red in this defensive scheme.


Red had an up & down year this year and he wasn't the only guy on the team, our famous secondary was up & down this year as well.
You want me to name every pass rusher that's 10 times better against the pass? Every single competent one. Sadly that's not a joke.

Red Bryant's fit for this "scheme" is overrated. We have no need for a guy as big as him at the LE spot.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10744
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Red was given excessive praise last year and it showed how much of an impact he truly had this year. You can find guys who are close to as good at stopping the run and 10 times the pass rushers.



Who?, Name one guy in the league that the Hawks can get that would be as good, or better than Red in this defensive scheme.


Red had an up & down year this year and he wasn't the only guy on the team, our famous secondary was up & down this year as well.
You want me to name every pass rusher that's 10 times better against the pass? Every single competent one. Sadly that's not a joke.

Red Bryant's fit for this "scheme" is overrated. We have no need for a guy as big as him at the LE spot.


There aren't many players than do what a HEALTHY Big Red can do at the 5-tech position (in the Hawks scheme), especially ones that are available.

With that said, I would like to see Pete get somebody closer to 300 pounds on the smaller end, not upper end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21571
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Red was given excessive praise last year and it showed how much of an impact he truly had this year. You can find guys who are close to as good at stopping the run and 10 times the pass rushers.



Who?, Name one guy in the league that the Hawks can get that would be as good, or better than Red in this defensive scheme.


Red had an up & down year this year and he wasn't the only guy on the team, our famous secondary was up & down this year as well.
You want me to name every pass rusher that's 10 times better against the pass? Every single competent one. Sadly that's not a joke.

Red Bryant's fit for this "scheme" is overrated. We have no need for a guy as big as him at the LE spot.


There aren't many players than do what a HEALTHY Big Red can do at the 5-tech position (in the Hawks scheme), especially ones that are available.

With that said, I would like to see Pete get somebody closer to 300 pounds on the smaller end, not upper end.
Red when healthy is dominant against the run but sub-par does not even begin to describe his pass rushing ability.

I'd sacrifice a little run stopping ability (which would still make whoever it is playing Red's position better than Red was the latter half of this year) for a big gain in pass rushing ability.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobob123


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Location: somewhere in outer space!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Red was given excessive praise last year and it showed how much of an impact he truly had this year. You can find guys who are close to as good at stopping the run and 10 times the pass rushers.



Who?, Name one guy in the league that the Hawks can get that would be as good, or better than Red in this defensive scheme.


Red had an up & down year this year and he wasn't the only guy on the team, our famous secondary was up & down this year as well.
You want me to name every pass rusher that's 10 times better against the pass? Every single competent one. Sadly that's not a joke.

Red Bryant's fit for this "scheme" is overrated. We have no need for a guy as big as him at the LE spot.


No I don't, You said there are guys out there that are just as good against the run and are better pass rushers, I wanted you to name some of them that the Hawks have a shot at getting without paying too much for.


It has shown time and time again that when Red is healthy and playing well our run defense is one of the best in the league... but, when he is less than 100% and playing poorly our run defense has major holes... I think some people overrate him and I also think some people underrate him like you are right now... He may not get the huge numbers but Red is a major part in our defensive scheme, but I also know there are other players that can fill his roll in our scheme and trying to find a guy that is a load vs. the run is just as hard as finding an elite pass rusher, IMO.


I think the main issue with Red with most fans is his contract which is a solid argument he is do $6.5 mill. in 2013' and for a run stopping 5 tech that only plays on 1st and 2nd downs that's big money...
_________________
....


"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooki


Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 10744
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine to pay Big Red that money now but when it comes to resigning guys like ET, Sherm and BamBam, we will need to get money from somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21571
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Red was given excessive praise last year and it showed how much of an impact he truly had this year. You can find guys who are close to as good at stopping the run and 10 times the pass rushers.



Who?, Name one guy in the league that the Hawks can get that would be as good, or better than Red in this defensive scheme.


Red had an up & down year this year and he wasn't the only guy on the team, our famous secondary was up & down this year as well.
You want me to name every pass rusher that's 10 times better against the pass? Every single competent one. Sadly that's not a joke.

Red Bryant's fit for this "scheme" is overrated. We have no need for a guy as big as him at the LE spot.


No I don't, You said there are guys out there that are just as good against the run and are better pass rushers, I wanted you to name some of them that the Hawks have a shot at getting without paying too much for.


It has shown time and time again that when Red is healthy and playing well our run defense is one of the best in the league... but, when he is less than 100% and playing poorly our run defense has major holes... I think some people overrate him and I also think some people underrate him like you are right now... He may not get the huge numbers but Red is a major part in our defensive scheme, but I also know there are other players that can fill his roll in our scheme and trying to find a guy that is a load vs. the run is just as hard as finding an elite pass rusher, IMO.


I think the main issue with Red with most fans is his contract which is a solid argument he is do $6.5 mill. in 2013' and for a run stopping 5 tech that only plays on 1st and 2nd downs that's big money...
Of course if Red is playing below average our run D suffers Laughing

I said there are plenty of guys who are close to as good, I didn't say as good. And you're asking a very specific thing simply so it will aid your argument.

He's do 6.5M next year. Given that number, you can find a lot of guys who will make comparable or less who would be better/more diverse. How many of them are FA's? Not many, but that was never the point I was making. It was just your only valid argument.

Henry Melton, even though he's technically a UT, would be a giant improvement over Red.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobob123


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Location: somewhere in outer space!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Of course if Red is playing below average our run D suffers Laughing

I said there are plenty of guys who are close to as good, I didn't say as good. And you're asking a very specific thing simply so it will aid your argument.

He's do 6.5M next year. Given that number, you can find a lot of guys who will make comparable or less who would be better/more diverse. How many of them are FA's? Not many, but that was never the point I was making. It was just your only valid argument.

Henry Melton, even though he's technically a UT, would be a giant improvement over Red.


The question is valid, You say you want to replace Red and, I asked who are you going to replace him with that would do the same or better of a job as he has in our scheme... and bring up a guy that doesn't even play the same position in Melton weakens your argument, you are just going on numbers and your opinion that he would be better than Red.
_________________
....


"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21571
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Of course if Red is playing below average our run D suffers Laughing

I said there are plenty of guys who are close to as good, I didn't say as good. And you're asking a very specific thing simply so it will aid your argument.

He's do 6.5M next year. Given that number, you can find a lot of guys who will make comparable or less who would be better/more diverse. How many of them are FA's? Not many, but that was never the point I was making. It was just your only valid argument.

Henry Melton, even though he's technically a UT, would be a giant improvement over Red.


The question is valid, You say you want to replace Red and, I asked who are you going to replace him with that would do the same or better of a job as he has in our scheme... and bring up a guy that doesn't even play the same position in Melton weakens your argument, you are just going on numbers and your opinion that he would be better than Red.
And you're going off your opinion that he wouldn't be better than Red?

The question isn't valid because I never said, "cut Red". You can look at the cute poll if you really want to question that. He's paid too much, and he's not versatile. He should be making 3M a year tops considering what he can do for us.

No matter who I bring up, you're going to come up with a silly argument to "disprove" what I say. Sheldon Richardson and Ezekiel Anash I'd definitely take over Red in this draft.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirensong


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 1152
Location: Vancouver BC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Of course if Red is playing below average our run D suffers Laughing

I said there are plenty of guys who are close to as good, I didn't say as good. And you're asking a very specific thing simply so it will aid your argument.

He's do 6.5M next year. Given that number, you can find a lot of guys who will make comparable or less who would be better/more diverse. How many of them are FA's? Not many, but that was never the point I was making. It was just your only valid argument.

Henry Melton, even though he's technically a UT, would be a giant improvement over Red.


The question is valid, You say you want to replace Red and, I asked who are you going to replace him with that would do the same or better of a job as he has in our scheme... and bring up a guy that doesn't even play the same position in Melton weakens your argument, you are just going on numbers and your opinion that he would be better than Red.


Red didn't play the 5 tech either until we moved him there. Moving a guy from a different position to play that spot is what we already have done so it doesnt weaken any argument.

Melton would be a MASSIVE upgrade over Big Red at the 5tech. He would be an incredible upgrade rushing the passer and would still give us that big run stuffing body at the end position.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I also think we have our 5tech on the roster now, and its Jason Jones. I would love to see him as an every down player at that position. We would lose a touch in the run game but the pressure would be astronomically higher than with Red.

Injury or no injury, getting washed out in the run game by a TE as consistently as he did in some games is a MASSIVE red flag. i dont care if he was hurt.
_________________
L.O.B.- D!CK, BOOM BOOM, ET, BB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobob123


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Location: somewhere in outer space!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:


Red didn't play the 5 tech either until we moved him there. Moving a guy from a different position to play that spot is what we already have done so it doesnt weaken any argument.

Melton would be a MASSIVE upgrade over Big Red at the 5tech. He would be an incredible upgrade rushing the passer and would still give us that big run stuffing body at the end position.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I also think we have our 5tech on the roster now, and its Jason Jones. I would love to see him as an every down player at that position. We would lose a touch in the run game but the pressure would be astronomically higher than with Red.

Injury or no injury, getting washed out in the run game by a TE as consistently as he did in some games is a MASSIVE red flag. i dont care if he was hurt.



It kinda does, Red wasn't Pete's first choice for the spot until Dan Quinn asked Pete to give Red a shot and Red was still a huge question mark if he would succeed or not...

I'm not saying you can't move a guy like Melton over and play the 5 tech, I'm just saying for someone to say Melton would be a HUGE improvement over Red without Melton even taking one snap at the position is purely speculative and based off of opinion alone...


and I don't think Jones would make a very good 5 tech in our scheme he played DE for the Titans his last year there and it didn't workout that well...
_________________
....


"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobob123


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Location: somewhere in outer space!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

The question isn't valid because I never said, "cut Red". You can look at the cute poll if you really want to question that. He's paid too much, and he's not versatile. He should be making 3M a year tops considering what he can do for us.

No matter who I bring up, you're going to come up with a silly argument to "disprove" what I say. Sheldon Richardson and Ezekiel Anash I'd definitely take over Red in this draft.



I agree he is overpaid...

and I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking for who you thought would be better at the position... and I never said that you said 'cut' him I just said you want to 'replace' him...


for a site Mod you seem high-strung and quick to jump on someone for simply asking a question... but that's ok maybe I should have asked the question in as different manor.
_________________
....


"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21571
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobob123 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

The question isn't valid because I never said, "cut Red". You can look at the cute poll if you really want to question that. He's paid too much, and he's not versatile. He should be making 3M a year tops considering what he can do for us.

No matter who I bring up, you're going to come up with a silly argument to "disprove" what I say. Sheldon Richardson and Ezekiel Anash I'd definitely take over Red in this draft.



I agree he is overpaid...

and I wasn't looking for an argument, I was looking for who you thought would be better at the position... and I never said that you said 'cut' him I just said you want to 'replace' him...


for a site Mod you seem high-strung and quick to jump on someone for simply asking a question... but that's ok maybe I should have asked the question in as different manor.
i gave you the idea of Henry Melton but you shot it down. I thought when you said replace you many cut.

My whole point I guess is we shouldn't have ever given Red that big of a contract. I didn't like it last year and I definitely don't like it now.

There aren't a whole lot of guys on the FA market, so I can't really answer your question how you want it answered.
_________________
<Ram
BlaqOptic wrote:
...13 Seahawks one spot over the 08 Steelers

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group